Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2020, 06:47 AM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts
Default PWC Anchors

The (re)search for the perfect PWC anchor(s) has begun. (Feel free to skip right to the questions at the bottom.)

As some of y'all might remember, I conducted extensive research a few years ago and discovered 4 best boating anchors without question: Mantus (for quickest set/reset), Fortress (overall strength), Digger (ease of use/no chain), Box (I didn't love this one, but many people have, so I put it on the list).

A few years later, and many, many tests, and I still swear by the Mantus. I've got two 8' on my 20' pontoon and they set and hold every. Single. Time.

Ok, on to PWC anchors: I bought a galvanized folding grapple thinking "how much difference will it make holding a fairly small machine at a sandbar (other than emergencies, the single only place I'll be anchoring)?" Boy, was I off here!

"Anchored" on the east side of Ragged last week and the thing is crap. With the lightest of wind/wave action—like, almost non-existent, it slipped.

Now, I'm not entirely done with it—I've got a small section of chain to try out with it today—but I had the rope essentially flat to the ground and it was still pulling.

In the meantime, I bought two umbrella sand anchors to try out—each $7.50 at Walmart—and they work perfectly...in shallow water. While at West Alton the other day—see my rescued anchor post on iBoat Winni Facebook—I realized that cold water, wind/wave action, or depth might cause an issue with setting the umbrella anchor (since it needs to be screwed almost entirely into the ground to work.

I think I need one of two things: either a tall(er) screw-in design or one I can toss in. I'm starting to lean towards the latter as, while out the other day, I noticed a couple on a broken down jetski paddling toward shore in a hazard area and wondered if there might be a situation where I'd want to throw an emergency anchor out rather than get dashed upon the rocks.

SO, two questions:
1. Thoughts on the "need" for a "throw"/"emergency" type anchor vs. just a sandbar one? I've only 11 hours on my ski and have no idea what I should be prepared for.

2. Recommendations for an anchor? Any styles/ideas I'm missing?

Final note: As always, cost matters here—both because I'm selectively cheap AND because remote learning has extended the amount of lake time and I need to budget carefully.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote