Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-17-2012, 06:36 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Woodstove firebrick issue?

I have a woodstove lined with firebrick, nothing unusually there....
However, two of my firebrick at that back of stove, have 1" holes drilled in the center. The purpose of the holes is to allow air to come into the firebox, through a manually operated draft control.

Anyway, those two firebricks need to be replaced b/c they are cracked. I have them in place and together now, but barely ! I know these are somewhat specialized firebrick. Have already looked around area stove shops, but they have nothing like this.

Stove is called an 'Earth Stove', no longer manufactured, as company went out of businesses a few years back. I can get these exact firebrick replacement on the internet, but would be coming from a distributor in California. Cost of 2 bricks $20, shipping $30. So bottom line, end cost for 2 firebricks $50.

FYI, I just bought 2 normal sized plain firebricks from Gilbert block in Gilford for $1.50 each ! Unfortunately, they have no means to drill hole through firebrick. Do you think a brick Mason has the tools to drill out a hole this size through firebrick?

No big rush for replace right now, as we're winding down the heating season, but want to get a jump on next winter.

Any suggestions ?

Oh also.... Any firewood referral sources would be helpful also, as I plan on purchasing next years firewood, sometime in the Spring.

Thanks,
BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:16 AM   #2
KDL

Drilling a hole that size is not a problem. Keeping the brick in one piece while drilling will be. A core drill should do the trick. I would check with a granite counter top installer. Bring a few extra bricks.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Go to home depot, lowes, harbor freight and get a masonry bit and drill the holes yourself. They are designed to bore thorough brick or mortar and are inexpensive. If you do that I would suggest do not force the bit through the brick and consider using a little water to keep the bit cool. Should be a piece of cake.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...ductId=1293753
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:44 AM   #4
bigdog

Default Woodstove firebrick issue?

Thanks KDL and MAXUM for the advice, will check out both options.

Actually have a granite slab dealer near me, so will ask them a price to drill bricks. The probably do this type of drilling all the time when installing granite countertops around kitchen faucets.

Then again, if I buy yhe drill bit, will have for future repairs !

Thanks again to you both.

BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
RLW

Using a bit to drill the holes is very risky I believe. Most Granite people use a diamond saw to cut the material (expensive). A bit has a very good chance of catching a hard spot and cracking the brick/granite.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
Using a bit to drill the holes is very risky I believe. Most Granite people use a diamond saw to cut the material (expensive). A bit has a very good chance of catching a hard spot and cracking the brick/granite.
Those bits are designed for boring into masonry (hence the name) and if used properly work fine. I've used them before and never had a problem boring holes in both brick and mortar. The thing to keep in mind is that these are NOT going to perform like drill bits in wood. The bore slower, you shouldn't force them just keep firm pressure on them and most of all use a little bit of water to keep them cool.

They shouldn't be used for drilling natural stone or ceramic tile.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote