Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2022, 08:57 PM   #1
WinnisquamZ

Default New Prop

Anyone have experience with this prop? https://www.sharrowmarine.com/

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 09:01 PM   #2
brk-lnt

As it turns out, almost nobody seems to have any direct real-world feedback on it.

It's not really new, been around for several years now. There have been a few sponsored tests, where it outperformed the wrong prop on a test boat, but not much in the way of real setups.

At $4K+, it would need to offer some serious improvements. Also, hope you don't damage it, although they'll do some repairs under warranty, it will probably end your boating season if it happens after July 4th with the lead times.
Old 12-20-2022, 04:47 AM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
As it turns out, almost nobody seems to have any direct real-world feedback on it.

It's not really new, been around for several years now. There have been a few sponsored tests, where it outperformed the wrong prop on a test boat, but not much in the way of real setups.

At $4K+, it would need to offer some serious improvements. Also, hope you don't damage it, although they'll do some repairs under warranty, it will probably end your boating season if it happens after July 4th with the lead times.
Total cost was $4,999 when I just looked.

The stats they provide are oddly specific, such as "46% increased efficiency on X engine at X RPM," and make me wonder what happens on either side of that RPM.

For NH boaters, I have to think the ROI (in terms of efficiency) would be impossible to meet given the length of ownership and use.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 08:41 AM   #4
NH.Solar

I'm very curious to learn about this prop too because the videos and their performance specs make such a convincing argument.
The other new boat technology that seems very promising is using hydrofoils, especially on pontoon boats, and hydrofoils are a relatively inexpensive To hotrod and existing pontoon check out the links from VaraFoil for their DIY kits.
If you want to dream big, here is my favorite hydrofoil video on the Hysucat 28 RIB. Its worth watching if for no other reason because the salesman is such an interesting and amusing character. I do dream about that exact boat ....with Sharrow props of course!
....C'mon megabucks
Old 12-20-2022, 09:30 AM   #5
fatlazyless

Someone always comes up with an unneeded and expensive design on an old standard design.

Here's a new wrinkle on a rowing oar ..... rowing.braca-sport.com/oars/99-oars.html ..... the fusion blade .... $395 vs a $75 light weight, all wood oar at Parafunalia in beautiful Gilford, NH.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-21-2022 at 06:43 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2022, 09:31 AM   #6
Woodsy

Just another gimmick propeller... way too much blade area, and way too expensive. You can get your propeller tuned to perfection for far less $$$. ROI on this propeller is nonexistent.

I will give it props for being pretty...

Woodsy
Old 12-20-2022, 09:37 AM   #7
8gv

I have made a career out of NOT being an early adopter.

Tried and true, time honored and such works just fine for me.

As Sallah said in Raiders of the Lost Arc:

"Very dangerous. You go first!"

Let me know how this works out for you.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 10:57 AM   #8
WinnisquamZ

If someone is lucky enough to come across one next summer please report back in. Always curious about “new” stuff. However, rarely am I the one to be first

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 11:14 AM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Anyone have experience with this prop? https://www.sharrowmarine.com/

No personal experience but I did read some of the performance reports. Some of the gains they claim are impressive to say the least!...if you believe them.

In one of the reports they claim the prop will increase speed by 70% or 10.5 MPH at 3000 RPM over a conventional prop!! I have a serious hard time believing that. They also claim huge 30% increase in fuel efficiency at cruising speeds!! If any of this is true it would be worth the purchase...but I'm not going to be the first!!

Dan
Old 12-20-2022, 11:39 AM   #10
NH.Solar

Have you noticed how the wingtips are curled up at the end of most commercial airliner wings? That is done to prevent the same issue that Sharrow claims they are curing, tip votice turbulence, so there must be something to it. That price though, ouch!
Old 12-20-2022, 12:36 PM   #11
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
No personal experience but I did read some of the performance reports. Some of the gains they claim are impressive to say the least!...if you believe them.

In one of the reports they claim the prop will increase speed by 70% or 10.5 MPH at 3000 RPM over a conventional prop!! I have a serious hard time believing that. They also claim huge 30% increase in fuel efficiency at cruising speeds!! If any of this is true it would be worth the purchase...but I'm not going to be the first!!

Dan
If you look closely at those reports the comparison prop is generally an abnormal setup and typically not the setup that the manufacturer of the boat/motor combo used in their own performance numbers. It's not hard to get a 70% performance increase going from a wrong prop to something that is a better match.

IMO it is telling that we're not even seeing the Sharrow props on tournament boats with OB's, which are becoming pretty common. Those are the guys that will spend stupid money for minor advantages.
ishoot308 (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 01:19 PM   #12
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
If you look closely at those reports the comparison prop is generally an abnormal setup and typically not the setup that the manufacturer of the boat/motor combo used in their own performance numbers. It's not hard to get a 70% performance increase going from a wrong prop to something that is a better match.

IMO it is telling that we're not even seeing the Sharrow props on tournament boats with OB's, which are becoming pretty common. Those are the guys that will spend stupid money for minor advantages.
Thanks for this—I'm actually in the middle of a unit on how data can be manipulated and will use this as an example.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (12-20-2022)
Old 12-20-2022, 03:26 PM   #13
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Boat test

Boat Tets did an extensive review. Interesting reading. Here's one conclusion"
"The most lucrative application of this radical new propeller is on supertankers and other large commercial ships, where it can potentially save them millions of dollars a year in reduced fuel consumption per ship."
https://boattest.com/article/boattes...rrow-propeller
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2022, 06:35 PM   #14
ishoot308

Default Still Impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Boat Tets did an extensive review. Interesting reading. Here's one conclusion"
"The most lucrative application of this radical new propeller is on supertankers and other large commercial ships, where it can potentially save them millions of dollars a year in reduced fuel consumption per ship."
https://boattest.com/article/boattes...rrow-propeller
Great read thanks for posting!

Actually Boat Test praises this prop pretty extensively and their conclusion said this….

“After our testing and driving the boat with all three props, our conclusion is the following. The Sharrow Propeller™ —
Performs significantly better at idle
Plans at a lower RPM
Is faster at all RPM settings
Gets significantly more mpg at 3000 and 3500 RPM
Is more fuel efficiency at every speed-through-water setting
Is as much as 18% more fuel-efficient at 26-28 MPH
Produces the highest top speed
Creates noticeably less vibration
Is generally quieter
Has superior handling in tight turns at high-speed
Improves handling in reverse
Provides the greatest range at all speeds”

Their results are actually very close to what Sharrow has posted on their performance reports.

I’m impressed but not enough to be the first to try!

Dan
Old 12-20-2022, 06:48 PM   #15
ishoot308

Quote:

I agree on the tournament / Bass boats not using them….you have to wonder why as those guys would kill for an extra mile or two per hour faster not to mention the advertised fuel savings!

The performance report I looked at had a boat and motors I was somewhat familiar with and felt the prop being tested against was at least very close to what should be used.

Once we start seeing commercial boats using this prop I might become a believer as they would have the most to gain….until then I anxiously await in the shadows!

Dan
Old 12-20-2022, 07:41 PM   #16
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I agree on the tournament / Bass boats not using them….you have to wonder why as those guys would kill for an extra mile or two per hour faster not to mention the advertised fuel savings!

The performance report I looked at had a boat and motors I was somewhat familiar with and felt the prop being tested against was at least very close to what should be used.

Once we start seeing commercial boats using this prop I might become a believer as they would have the most to gain….until then I anxiously await in the shadows!

Dan
The Sharrow prop has been around for years at this point and there seem to be no real-world end user reviews of it, just some sponsored tests that show unrealistic claims.
ishoot308 (12-20-2022)