Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2022, 06:52 AM   #1
ITD

Default Don't start that boat motor ....

.... with people near the rear of the boat, and definitely don't engage the prop. While this is not a Winnipesaukee accident, it is definitely relevant. Especially with the number of newbs out there who don't know about boat safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4M33GBFjMc
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 07:30 AM   #2
8gv

If only one could get a "do over".

Sad.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 07:52 AM   #3
XCR-700

Horrible accident,,,

But I have to say listening to the story, NOTHING about it falls into place to me.

She talks about losing her legs and it appears she lost her feet, which is still horrible but totally different.

Then they said the other boats anchor was not holding and they turned on the motor, but claim she was sucked in, so the boat was already on top of them and reversing??? I'm sure Im missing something here.

And people are literally that close to each other? It must make Winnipesaukee sandbars look sparsely populated,,,

And finally, she has no insurance, but is on a sand bar with a power boat, does she literally mean she has no health insurance and no accident insurance on her boat or whoever the owners are of either boat have no insurance? can that really be possible that neither she or either of the boats have coverage,,, What a horrific situation.

I get that she is probably on serious pain meds, but you would think the media would have a better explanation about what happened.

I guess the take away from this is NEVER boat in that area, AND always make sure you have lots of insurance coverage on your boat.

Really hate hearing stories like this, so tragic and so avoidable from every perspective.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 09:14 AM   #4
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Horrible accident,,,

But I have to say listening to the story, NOTHING about it falls into place to me.

She talks about losing her legs and it appears she lost her feet, which is still horrible but totally different.

Then they said the other boats anchor was not holding and they turned on the motor, but claim she was sucked in, so the boat was already on top of them and reversing??? I'm sure Im missing something here.

And people are literally that close to each other? It must make Winnipesaukee sandbars look sparsely populated,,,

And finally, she has no insurance, but is on a sand bar with a power boat, does she literally mean she has no health insurance and no accident insurance on her boat or whoever the owners are of either boat have no insurance? can that really be possible that neither she or either of the boats have coverage,,, What a horrific situation.

I get that she is probably on serious pain meds, but you would think the media would have a better explanation about what happened.

I guess the take away from this is NEVER boat in that area, AND always make sure you have lots of insurance coverage on your boat.

Really hate hearing stories like this, so tragic and so avoidable from every perspective.
Yes, about all we can trust from that story is she had amputations caused by getting run over by a boat.

Too many people have no respect for the amount of dangerous power is at their disposal with even the smallest of power boats.

I heard the part about being on a boat but no health insurance. But without the full story we don't know, she could have been on a friend's boat.

I am always leery when I'm in the water near other boats. If I hear that engine start I'm out of there.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 09:50 AM   #5
Woody38

One needs to be aware of ALL surroundings when operating a boat. Most important is knowing if any people are anywhere near when putting a boat in gear.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woody38 For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-31-2022)
Sponsored Links