Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-06-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
Smokienorm

Default Sandy Point Restaurant

New owners this Season after many years of operation by the prior husband and wife operators. Operation now is very disappointing to say the least.

Sandy Point has always been well regarded in the past for its stuffed lobsters, its prime rib, and some of its sides and desserts. We were a party of 6 on May 31 at 7PM. Normally, the place would be mobbed, but there were many open tables and many that did not fill at all that night. The wait staff appeared to be nearly all new. New menu with higher prices, including $9 for a glass of wine- WOW!. This is a family resort area that generally will not support such prices.

The three ladies in our party all ordered broiled seafood (haddock), none of which was even reasonably good. I had the baked stuffed lobster which was what we would expect. Some of our party wanted the baked potato wedges that have been on the menu for many years and we were told that they were only available occasionally as specials. When I asked for their famous apple crisp dessert, same answer- only available occasionally as a special.

The coup de grace was the handling of the check. Three couples, each with a credit card with instructions to split the bill evenly 3 ways. That was done and then a woman who could have been the owner came to the table to announce to one of our couples that in addition to the 3 credit card charges for 1/3 each, they had run through a charge on one of the cards for twice the full un-split bill, but credited back half of it. Our cousin, who had the misfortune to have his card involved with this fiasco, had to spend nearly a half hour at the hostess station with the owner/manager and actually got on the phone to the credit card processor to get the matters straightened out- we will see what happens when he gets his credit card statement.

Bottom line- doubt that this will be around for very long- higher prices for only fair service and mediocre food. Very amateurish operation at this stage, with lots of better places close by. I would not waste my time going there again.

We have subsequently passed by several times when the place would have been mobbed in the past and observed a half empty parking lot.

Very sad, especially having gone there for about 30 years.
Smokienorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
BrownstoneNorth

Default All was perfect for us at Sandy Point tonight

My husband and I took our visiting son and his fiancée to Sandy Point last night with some trepidation, given the mixed revews for the restaurant under the new management. It's always been our family's once or twice a summer treat for lobster dinners, but this was our first time since it changed hands.

Two of us had the plain boiled lobsters, and two the King Baked Stuffed -- absolutely delicious, well worth the price. The waitress, who graciously took our picture although the hour was late and she must have been anxious to go home, was A+, and the restaurant itself is now a pleasure -- everything, including the rest rooms, has been given a much-needed face-lift.

I can't comment either on check problems others have mentioned, because ours wasn't complicated and went smoothly, or other dishes, because, as always, we only ordered lobsters -- as far as we're concerned, Sandy Point remains tops in the area for lobster.
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrownstoneNorth For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (07-07-2013), Mirror Lake's BB (07-09-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
Rinkerguy

I took my wife there over the 4th of July weekend. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. I had a surf and turf, and she had seafood... Service was excellent, staff was pleasant, making suggestions, and conversational. Any growing pains the new staff may have had in the early season appeared to be gone now.
Rinkerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rinkerguy For This Useful Post:
Mirror Lake's BB (07-09-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 05:52 AM   #4
phoenix

We went for our annual boat ride to the restaurant last night. First it was a great day on the lake perfect weather for a boat ride. Now regarding the restaurant. There were six of us. First the renovation was nice. Much cleaner and brighter than the prior interior. Most of us had the king baked stuffed. The price did go up for two pounder w 50 vs 47 last year. Everyone completely enjoyed their meal. The stuffing had a lot of lobster in it but did include some shrimp and was specific to say lobster and seafood stuffing. but overall we all enjoyed our meals. Service was great and place was crowded. The owner came by and ask how we liked our meal. One of us who had been earlier in the summer said to the owner that he felt the stuffing was moister than his prior visit and owner said they were working on the recipe to improve. So enjoyed our visit and will continue our annual visit.
Mirror Lake's BB (07-13-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Dave R

The latest positive reviews are great news. We plan to have our annual meal there on Tuesday.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
SIKSUKR

A $50 lobster? Yikes!
Old 07-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
phoenix

2 lb king baked stuffed with lobster stuffing so yes I was a little taken back but lobster prices haven't come down like last year
Old 07-16-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
livefreeordie

I grew up working and eating @ Sandy Point (the hotel side of it) I have been three times this summer with my girlfriend. I get the prime rib and she gets the king baked stuffed. The first time we went portions were a bit smaller than past years, but the last two times things are the same or close to the way they always were. I know they are trying hard to make everyone happy. Some people just can't handle change and will never be happy.
livefreeordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
eyenotall777

Default Satisfied Customer

Myself and my friend were deciding were to go for dinner at approx. 5pm this past Monday evening. I felt I had given the restaurant enough time since the new owners took over and have to admit, we had one of the best meals, even better than previous years (I have been patroning Sandy Point Restaurant for over 30yrs). They have given the place a nice lift. Not too much and not too over the top. My friend and I opted for the 1 1/4lb King Baked Stuffed. It was very similiar if not better I felt and plentiful. See pic...delicious.
Attached Images

eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eyenotall777 For This Useful Post:
Mirror Lake's BB (07-18-2013), Overlake97 (07-17-2013)
Old 07-21-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
KarmaGirl

Six of us ate at SP last night and it was superb! Stuffed lobster and lobster pie were loaded, and just the right amount of stuffing. Haddock was awesome, as was the prime rib. Great service and good size drinks.
KarmaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:02 AM   #11
Formula260SS

Default Sandy Point

Friends of ours who have been going to SP every week for the past 6-7 years have indicated "back to normal". Based on all the feedback seems like the new owners have listened and acted appropriately Can't wait to get back for the baked stuffed
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:49 PM   #12
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Had our yearly excursion to Sandy Point yesterday afternoon for king baked stuffed lobster. After reading stories on the Forum, we were a little concerned. No worries! The updated decor is nice. The restaurant is cleaner and and reconfigured so that there is a little more room between the tables. Service was excellent, and the baked stuffed lobter just as we remembered. (In fact, we liked the stuffing a more.)

We will definitely be back next year.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaGirl View Post
Great service and good size drinks.
Is there still a 2 drink maximum? I never understood that!
Old 07-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
dippasan

Default SP visit last Friday

My wife and I had dinner there, for the first time this year, last Friday night on our way upta Camp. As previously mentioned the facelift on the interior looks great. Much cleaner/brighter looking.
They greeted us with a smile when we walked in and seated us right away. The service was no less than outstanding which to us, makes it or breaks it! Very attentive with great communication.
We had scallops wrapped in bacon and I had a cup of lobster stew for apps. Scallops were ok at best, lobster stew was loaded with lobster but almost room temperature. Entrees were baked Haddock and shrimp, and I had the Salmon. Though the food was excellent, it was pretty pricey for what I would consider small portions. The huge plates and the small portions make it look even smaller than it is.

Bottom line: We'll definitely go back. It seems like they just need to tweak a few things and they'll have a home run!!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:13 PM   #15
Formula260SS

Default sandy point

Just had the 1 1/4 baked stuffed king.........already planning the next visit
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:53 PM   #16
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Glad we waited to try it.

With all the negative comments about the "new management" Sandy Point, we were hesitant to go. However, recent positive comments made us decide to try it, one of these days. As it turned out, today was the day.

We were out on the boat for about three hours and decided to go out to eat. As we coming down the bay, we were looking at Sandy Point, and decided that is where we would go. We docked the boat, and ran an errand or two, then headed to the house to change clothes. I called to see if we needed a reservation for the two of us (called at 515) and that we could be there in 10-15 mins. Told no problem, and just like the Price is Right, to come on down.

We were greeted by the young lady who was the hostess, and promptly seated at a nice table for two. She told us who our waitress would be, and wished us a good meal, all done with a nice smile. Good start.

Our waitress was Grace, and she greeted us with a nice smile as well. Took our drink order and when she brought the drinks, we were ready to order. Grace took the order and read it back to us, to make sure we ordered all we wanted. Still good...

We ordered Steamers, and they came out hot, and had none that would not open. Tasty little rascals, and tender, even the larger ones. When we finished, the dishes were removed timely...still good.

I ordered a 1 1/4 boiled lobster, and my wife had the seafood casserole. Now, everywhere we have ever had a seafood casserole, it was in a baking dish, smothered in butter and breadcrumbs. Sandy Point seafood casserole is served on a metal broiling plate, with two good sized pieces of haddock, several small, very tender scallops ( at least 6-7) and three sizable butterflied shrimp. Seasoning on the haddock and shrimp was very tasty (I was lucky enough to get a piece of the fish, and one shrimp..thank you dear). My boiled lobster was excellent as well. Interestingly, when I have lobster, I separate the claws and knuckles, and take the tail off, draining the inevitable internal water in the shell bucket. As Grace was walking by, I had just finished that chore and started to work on nibbling the meat out of the legs. Grace said she would be right back, and took the shell bucket with the water in it, and brought me a clean one. No splashing of water dropping a claw or tail into the bucket. Never had that done before, and I felt that was a nice touch. Thanks Grace. She even offered to tie my lobster bib on, asking my wife "just how tight did she want Grace to tie it" .

We had Klondike bars in the freezer at home, so we passed on dessert. We had a very nice meal with very good service. We are glad we waited so that they could get things together and put out meals and service that is expected by Sandy Point customers. I believe the torch has been passed, and passed satisfactorily.
Legionnaire70 (08-03-2013), trfour (08-02-2013)
Old 08-03-2013, 01:27 AM   #17
Greene's Basin Girl

I am so glad that everyone is enjoying Sandy Point. It was terrible in the spring- when the new owners opened the restaurant. We went for Mother's Day and we said we would never go back. I guess we will have to try it again.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #18
WinniQueen

Thumbs down Disaster

Sorry to say that we went to Sandy Point for the annual birthday dinner event last night . Made a reservation 4 days in advance for a party of 18 @ 7:30 , got there the table was ready waitress ready and smiling looked like a great night ... ordered drinks and apps, while waiting for apps the waitress started taking dinner orders ( smart on her part for such a big table) and the next thing we hear is that they are low on Prime Rib ... huh ? On a Friday night at 7:30 knowing that this is what most of the table is going to want either by itself of in a surf and turf combo we sent the waitress off to see what "low" on rib actually meant . She returned with the reply that there was either 1 queen cut or 2 english cuts that could be used for the surf and turf not what my table wanted to hear. But it gets worse ... trying to diffuse the situation we ask if they would substitute the steak for the prime rib in the surf and turf and were told no , no substitutions. There is more but it would make the post so long I will omit it . So let me get this straight , you have a reservation for nearly 20 people at 7:30 ( not late dining in my book ) that called well in advance and not only do you only have the ability to provide surf and turf to a tiny amount of people in the group but you refuse to substitute also? Seriously? Isn't this what your signature dish is prime rib and lobster ?? After working in the restaurant business for many years I am stunned ! And embarrassed . We made some quick calls and ended up at C J Averys which not only happily welcomed our party but did a fabulous job . Sandy Point "comped" our apps ( which we never got ) and charged for the drinks which I would have "comped" if I were the mgr and offered a gift certificate or something but no offered nothing management stated that they plan on enough for the reservations that they have and some extra which clearly they did not ...I am saddened to feel the need to write this post as we have been going there for 15 years and always looked forward to it . As it stands C J Averys will get our thousand dollar tab next time. We did however feel badly for the waitstaff as they were put in a bad situation by the management and lost out on a good amount of money.
WinniQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WinniQueen For This Useful Post:
Reilly (08-03-2013)
Old 08-04-2013, 09:52 AM   #19
RLW

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Had our yearly excursion to Sandy Point yesterday afternoon for king baked stuffed lobster. After reading stories on the Forum, we were a little concerned. No worries! The updated decor is nice. The restaurant is cleaner and and reconfigured so that there is a little more room between the tables. Service was excellent, and the baked stuffed lobter just as we remembered. (In fact, we liked the stuffing a more.)

We will definitely be back next year.
Major, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for your comments about Sandy Point. I glad to see them being at a higher star number.

Major (08-05-2013)