Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-07-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
Rattler

Default Why I Dislike Snowmobilers

I purchased property on the broads side of Rattlesnake two years ago. We love our summer home and have spent the past two years working very hard and making many improvements. This last summer we literally spent tens of thousands of dollars on landscaping in order to make a dramatic improvement to the looks and accessibility of the cottage. This involved terracing, many stone walls, and three sets of landscape timber stairways -- well over 40 stairs in all. We spent last summer on the island in a constant state of construction.

The gentlemen who did the great landscaping work for us went out last weekend to check on our place. He just called to inform me that snowmobilers are driving through our property on their way to and from the lake and, in their disregard for other people's hard work, property and effort, have dislodged stones in our stone walls and chewed up our landscape timber stairs. The fact that snowmobilers would drive all over private property, run their machines up and down landscaping stairs, and knock over terraced stone walls shows an incredible disregard for their sport.

I hate to paint all snowmobilers with such a broad brush, but, unfortunately, people like me who aren't snowmobilers tend to encounter those that are in unfortunate situations like this.

Sorry if this seems like venting. I don't expect anyone to offer up a solution. However, the idea that I would take my car and drive over a snowmobiler's property, knocking down bushes, destroying walkways, messing up their lawns, etc. doesn't even enter my mind. The fact that it does enter the minds of some people out on snowmobiles is mind boggling and sad...
Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote