Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-28-2022, 03:57 PM   #1
Susie Cougar

Default suggestions for a screened porch

My daughter is in the process of buying a home in Maryland. I would like to give her a screened porch as a housewarming present. I’m not looking to start until at least a year from now, so I’m just beginning to get ideas.
I know I want it to be approximately 8 feet wide by 18 feet long.
I’ve always loved screened porches, but would like to find a way to keep it a little bit warmer in the fall and spring to extend the time we could use it. I am just looking for simple ideas that could make it feel a little bit better.

I was wondering if you could put some type of glass on the bottom part instead of screen so as not to obscure the view, but maybe to block the wind a little bit?

Another idea I had was to put some type of radiant heat. I was thinking something like slate or a stone for the flooring. I don’t know if this is possible unless it’s really well insulated, it seems to me that it might freeze, because you have to run water pipes in the slab somehow.
I know I could buy some type of space heater, but with everything being open, would it do any good?
Is there anyone out there who loves a screened porch as much as I do? Have you found ways to enjoy it for a longer period of time?

Any ideas or suggestions, no matter how crazy they seem, are welcome.

Last edited by Susie Cougar; 04-28-2022 at 07:21 PM.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote