Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-16-2023, 12:07 PM   #1
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Whiskey Tavern

The grand opening of the Whiskey Tavern is Friday August 18.

It is located at 1258 Union Avenue, across from McDonalds. It was formerly a showroom for Paugus Bay Marina.

They have done a lot of work inside. It has two floors with seating and both of those floors have bars, and a third level with function rooms. The lower level opens out to Paugus Bay.

You could go there by boat but docking is limited. It looks like beaching a boat, depending on the boat would work too. (I wouldn't try it with something like, say, a 50 foot SeaRay, maybe something smaller) They are waiting for final approval from the state but will have Keno in the near future.
Attached Images

TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-16-2023), Descant (08-16-2023), joey2665 (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 12:16 PM   #2
WinnisquamZ

One question. Will I be able to smoke a cigar on the back deck?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 12:21 PM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Look forward to trying it out by car!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 01:48 PM   #4
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
You could go there by boat but docking is limited. It looks like beaching a boat, depending on the boat would work too. (I wouldn't try it with something like, say, a 50 foot SeaRay, maybe something smaller)
At least one 50 foot SeaRay is getting too good at beaching
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 01:58 PM   #5
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
One question. Will I be able to smoke a cigar on the back deck?
The cigar smoking section is out back about 30 feet from shore. Wear your swim suit and when you are in water up to your knees you will know you have found the right place.
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Wishbone (08-18-2023)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2023, 03:26 PM   #6
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
The cigar smoking section is out back about 30 feet from shore. Wear your swim suit and when you are in water up to your knees you will know you have found the right place.
Believe I will be saving my green for more friendly establishments

Old 08-16-2023, 03:41 PM   #7
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
(I wouldn't try it with something like, say, a 50 foot SeaRay, maybe something smaller)
lol....thanks for the chuckle

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 04:27 PM   #8
chachee52

So much for a Bike Week Opening. But it's better to get it done right than to rush through things and open when not close to opening.
I agree, would be great to have a cigar section, but seeing its not in the room I would doubt it. I believe that's another type of licensing and probably not worth it for what they are trying to do. But maybe in the future they will if enough people beg. Can't wait to give them a try. Always looking for some different whiskey out.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2023, 06:02 PM   #9
WinnisquamZ

I am wondering why the only advertising you see from the street are beer companies. From a true whiskey drinker this is questionable

The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-19-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 02:37 PM   #10
RUGMAN

As a bouborn drinker, those were my exact thoughts as well, maybe budweiser paid them to put those decals there, kind go odd for a bar called Whiskey tavern ?
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 03:19 PM   #11
John Mercier

According to the LDS article on the owner when it was in the early stages... they would have twenty beers on draft.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2023, 02:47 PM   #12
WinnisquamZ

Anyone visit yesterday opening? Drove by twice and it was packed. Interesting that many were parking in McDonalds and walking across.

Old 08-19-2023, 10:32 PM   #13
LoveLakeLife

I visited but didn’t eat because I got there at 8:00 just as they stopped serving food. The noise level was near deafening. Looking forward to more comments.

LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 06:19 AM   #14
smith point boater

Default Whiskey Tavern

Ate there last night with my wife and friends - sat at the bar. Very busy. Yes it was noisy but the place was full too. We all enjoyed our meals and staff was attentive. Prices were reasonable - I had a generous size Steak and Cheese sandwich for $16. Plenty of help

There is an open air (with pull down garage doors) bar area in the lower level on the lakeside. There are 3 dock spaces. There is a beach area but bartender didn't know if you could beach a jet ski - looked like you could.

We would go back
smith point boater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smith point boater For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 09:45 AM   #15
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Sorry to go off topic but I'm just curious.
The Whiskey Tavern and the other new restaurant (Dox) on Winnisquam both had plenty of staff but all the old established restaurants in the area are so short of staff that they are cutting back on hours.
Good for them but wondering how they pulled that off.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-20-2023), Glidden Cove (08-22-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 02:09 PM   #16
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Sorry to go off topic but I'm just curious.
The Whiskey Tavern and the other new restaurant (Dox) on Winnisquam both had plenty of staff but all the old established restaurants in the area are so short of staff that they are cutting back on hours.
Good for them but wondering how they pulled that off.
There seems to be a lot of waitstaff shuffling around. I was at Ellacoya a few weeks ago talking to a waiter I had met previously at Cactus Jack's. He said that 9 employees had left Cactus and ended up at Ellacoya/the Breeze.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 06:00 PM   #17
WinnisquamZ

Views on their website menu is as expected. Whiskey prices are equal too or more then O’s. Who I believe has the best whiskey selection in the lakes region. Hopefully the beer sales go well

Old 08-25-2023, 07:31 AM   #18
Biggd

Thumbs up

My wife and I tried it last night, very busy and very noisy. Great atmosphere but it was very hectic, looks like they have a lot of bugs to work out.
Very limited menu, I'm sure that's because they just opened, but the food was good and plentiful.
Hopefully they get more kitchen help and expand the menu.
We will try it again but will probably wait a few months and see if they get more organized.

Last edited by Biggd; 08-25-2023 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-25-2023, 10:54 AM   #19
8gv

It's a short drive for me but I will give them a few months to get in the groove.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 01:54 PM   #20
TiltonBB

They spent a lot of money inside and out. It looks nothing like a boat showroom anymore. As others have said, it is a little noisy inside but very busy, even during the day. There is outside seating with a nice view of Paugus Bay. Great, if only we got more sunny days!
Attached Images

Old 08-25-2023, 02:02 PM   #21
WinnisquamZ

Default Whiskey Tavern

Still having a difficult time getting past all the beer advertisements. Also, where’s the Whisky?

Old 08-25-2023, 06:01 PM   #22
pjard

My wife and I went there tonight. The place is very nice inside. However, the staff seemed frantic and it wasn't that busy. I'll give them a pass on that because they are so new. The AC was cranking in there, I mean it was cold. Others noticed the same thing. The food was good but as others have said it's VERY noisy. We'll give them another try a few weeks down the road.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2023, 09:57 PM   #23
bushwack1

Question Whiskey Tavern *ROMOUR*

Local restaurant gossip is that Late this week their Kitchen staff. All Walked out "Quit" I can not confirm this but maybe someone out there can. I work in the field it is my career and all I can say is HOLY *****
bushwack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2023, 01:00 AM   #24
John Mercier

This is happening a lot.

Management fails to define their customer, and is thus unprepared.

Harvard Business Review has had articles on this in their new manager training online education since around 2011... they see it picking up even more briskly.

I think WinnisquamZ picked up on that vibe when he noted the name didn't seem to fit the offerings.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
LoveLakeLife (08-28-2023)
Old 08-27-2023, 06:07 AM   #25
TiltonBB

Maybe it should have been the "Beer Tavern"?
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2023, 08:24 AM   #26
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
This is happening a lot.

Management fails to define their customer, and is thus unprepared.

Harvard Business Review has had articles on this in their new manager training online education since around 2011... they see it picking up even more briskly.

I think WinnisquamZ picked up on that vibe when he noted the name didn't seem to fit the offerings.
They had plenty of whiskey also! I think people are reading too much into the name.
It's definitely a drinking establishment but their menu will have to expand if they are going to be able to compete with other venues in the area.
We are coming into a slower month so hopefully that will help them get their staff up to speed.

Last edited by Biggd; 08-27-2023 at 03:00 PM.
Old 08-27-2023, 12:11 PM   #27
WinnisquamZ

Everyone wants a new business to succeed. One’s opinion and review of a new venture is just that, opinion. I enjoy reading them. Have yet to try, this past week I have rolled thru the parking lot and found no spaces. No, I won’t park at others establishments. Must say we rode by last evening around 9 and saw that it was less then half full. On a Saturday evening. Looking forward to them getting it together and trying it out

Old 08-27-2023, 12:42 PM   #28
John Mercier

Your marketing should match... so it can never be too much is read into a name.

Also, expanding a menu... would more likely make it harder on a kitchen staff, not easier.

If you're trying to create a niche business... being like every other venue doesn't really work. That is something as the developer, like the name, you need to determine right up front.
Old 08-27-2023, 07:47 PM   #29
Biggd

Quote:
Your marketing should match... so it can never be too much is read into a name.

Also, expanding a menu... would more likely make it harder on a kitchen staff, not easier.

If you're trying to create a niche business... being like every other venue doesn't really work. That is something as the developer, like the name, you need to determine right up front.
Success has more to do with how the place is run, and as of my visit Thursday night, they have a lot of work to do!

Last edited by Biggd; 08-28-2023 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-28-2023, 10:49 AM   #30
John Mercier

When you are losing staff... especially kitchen... you really can't expand the menu without creating more stress. Labor has so many options that high stress environments tend to fail.

So the secret is to keep a narrow, but memorable menu. That includes the drinks that you will be serving.

To survive long term, you must under promise (including advertising) and over perform.

I noticed some of this problem daily as HD and Lowes customers expect us to have doors and windows in a large variety on the shelf. I custom order almost everything. So the customer wanting something now is a bit disappointed. That is a failure of our branding/marketing.

I have calls from people wondering what is in stock. Other than my internal system, the internet tie-in is under store.lavalleys.com with a drop down to the upper right for each locations on-hand stock and pricing (we price across all locations the same), but we fail to advertise in a way that helps the customer get and use this information to their advantage.

Our niche is we deliver free anything over $100, and some customers have never seen that advertised.

Being well run should be any business, but branding/advertising is what leads the customer to certain businesses depending on their need at that moment.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (08-28-2023), TheTimeTraveler (08-29-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 11:09 AM   #31
Biggd

Quote:
When you are losing staff... especially kitchen... you really can't expand the menu without creating more stress. Labor has so many options that high stress environments tend to fail.

So the secret is to keep a narrow, but memorable menu. That includes the drinks that you will be serving.

To survive long term, you must under promise (including advertising) and over perform.

I noticed some of this problem daily as HD and Lowes customers expect us to have doors and windows in a large variety on the shelf. I custom order almost everything. So the customer wanting something now is a bit disappointed. That is a failure of our branding/marketing.

I have calls from people wondering what is in stock. Other than my internal system, the internet tie-in is under store.lavalleys.com with a drop down to the upper right for each locations on-hand stock and pricing (we price across all locations the same), but we fail to advertise in a way that helps the customer get and use this information to their advantage.

Our niche is we deliver free anything over $100, and some customers have never seen that advertised.

Being well run should be any business, but branding/advertising is what leads the customer to certain businesses depending on their need at that moment.
They just opened, if they are losing staff already then there's a management problem.
Old 08-28-2023, 11:21 AM   #32
WinnisquamZ

Also heard it second hand they lost the kitchen staff. Same individual said the kitchen staff was pouched from another restaurant and then got rehired back. Interesting. Hopefully they got a big bump in pay

Old 08-28-2023, 12:11 PM   #33
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Also heard it second hand they lost the kitchen staff. Same individual said the kitchen staff was pouched from another restaurant and then got rehired back. Interesting. Hopefully they got a big bump in pay

The poaching thing would perfectly explain how they had so many staff while others are struggling.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 12:49 PM   #34
John Mercier

Supposedly 405 Pub & Grill.
Old 08-29-2023, 08:04 AM   #35
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
They just opened, if they are losing staff already then there's a management problem.
Actually at this time of year everyone loses staffers to high school and college.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 08:52 AM   #36
Woodsy

I went to the Whiskey Tavern this past Saturday, met some friends and spent some time there. We had lunch outside on the deck, our food came out quickly. Food came out promptly and was good, portions were large. (I got the chili dogs) Our ever was was on point and very attentive.

After lunch we shifted inside and sat at the bar waiting on the rest of the crew. The place was busy and just got busier. The bartenders were a bit overwhelmed and as such were a little less attentive then hoped for. (It was busy) It is definitely LOUD inside.

The help seemed to have been poached from other establishments, most notably 405, Margate and a bartender from Tower Hill.

All in all, I would definitely go back! Give them some time and I am sure most of the bugs will be worked out in short order!

Woodsy
Biggd (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 10:02 AM   #37
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Actually at this time of year everyone loses staffers to high school and college.
I know that, but a restaurant that is just starting out 2 weeks before Labor Day should have that figured into their overall opening plans. That being said, when I was in there last week I didn't see any young staff members working. It seemed like they had plenty of wait staff, I think the problems were in the kitchen.
Anyway, I hope they get things worked out. I do want to try it again but I will wait a while before going back.
Old 08-29-2023, 10:13 AM   #38
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I went to the Whiskey Tavern this past Saturday, met some friends and spent some time there. We had lunch outside on the deck, our food came out quickly. Food came out promptly and was good, portions were large. (I got the chili dogs) Our ever was was on point and very attentive.

After lunch we shifted inside and sat at the bar waiting on the rest of the crew. The place was busy and just got busier. The bartenders were a bit overwhelmed and as such were a little less attentive then hoped for. (It was busy) It is definitely LOUD inside.

The help seemed to have been poached from other establishments, most notably 405, Margate and a bartender from Tower Hill.

All in all, I would definitely go back! Give them some time and I am sure most of the bugs will be worked out in short order!

Woodsy
Is poaching restaurant staff a normal/widespread occurrence in the Lakes Region?

Specifically, does it sound/feel like this restaurant is simply a better alternative or was there some monkey business/shady behavior/shenanigans?

Old 08-29-2023, 10:50 AM   #39
John Mercier

''Recruiting'' is pretty much an across the board thing ever since the labor market became so tight.
Old 08-29-2023, 11:39 AM   #40
WinnisquamZ

I must say, I have no issue hiring from other establishments. It happens in all industries. Poaching is not the correct word to be used. Each individual left for what they believed were better employment terms. And they soon realized it wasn’t.
Know your worth and don’t accept less.

Old 08-29-2023, 11:45 AM   #41
stingray

Visited for the 1st time Sunday evening, yesterday.
1st impression, it’s a Whiskey Tavern in name only. This could easily get corrected with a drinks menu. I guess going into it I was expecting something a little more unique vs they are aspiring to be a me too restaurant going through a struggling startup process.
Hope they achieve an atmosphere closer to the name the next time I go in. I might need to wait a while. One shortfall in restaurants I notice lately is the effort in materials to sound absurd the background noise. This place as with many gets an F.

stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 01:03 PM   #42
WinnisquamZ

The noise issue must be because of the glass building. I refuse to lean in or have to yell to my partner while enjoying a drink or dinner.

Old 08-29-2023, 02:35 PM   #43
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Is poaching restaurant staff a normal/widespread occurrence in the Lakes Region?

Specifically, does it sound/feel like this restaurant is simply a better alternative or was there some monkey business/shady behavior/shenanigans?

thinkxingu...

IMHO, I think the people who left other businesses saw an opportunity to make more $$$. For the next few months, Whiskey is going to be the new hotspot that everyone wants to try. It makes sense to me that a person might look to make some money at the new hotspot. If the owners original bar Old School is any indication, this place should be hopping for the long haul.

Woodsy
Old 08-29-2023, 02:53 PM   #44
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
thinkxingu...

IMHO, I think the people who left other businesses saw an opportunity to make more $$$. For the next few months, Whiskey is going to be the new hotspot that everyone wants to try. It makes sense to me that a person might look to make some money at the new hotspot. If the owners original bar Old School is any indication, this place should be hopping for the long haul.

Woodsy
Can’t agree. I am old enough to remember the Irish Pub that opened downtown Laconia. Many had the same thoughts. Extremely successful in the first location. Spent a million building out the Laconia location and was out of business in one year. Here, in the Lakes Region you make 80% of your gross nut during the summer months.

Old 08-29-2023, 07:28 PM   #45
John Mercier

If they hope to survive... I suggest finding ways to lessen the noise with wall coverings. Lots of ways to do this.
And start working on a winter marketing plan.

It is the use of resources during slack times that can make a difference for a business.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:23 AM   #46
Lake Fan

Quote:
The noise issue must be because of the glass building. I refuse to lean in or have to yell to my partner while enjoying a drink or dinner.

This x100. We've cut way back on dining out for just this reason. It seems like places are intentionally being set up to maximize noise levels (maybe to turn tables over faster?). That coupled with the general public hollering over each other makes for a very uncomfortable evening, even at so-called upscale eateries.

Any thoughts on restaurants that are on the quieter side?
Lake Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 06:29 AM   #47
Winilyme

For many, older age = more time for dining out = more money for dining out. This is also a customer base that faces declining hearing acuity that makes restaurant dining terribly uncomfortable at times. Why restaurants seemingly ignore these facts…choosing to instead isolate that customer base is beyond me. It isn’t always design-related. Just turn the stupid music down.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 07:50 AM   #48
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
For many, older age = more time for dining out = more money for dining out. This is also a customer base that faces declining hearing acuity that makes restaurant dining terribly uncomfortable at times. Why restaurants seemingly ignore these facts…choosing to instead isolate that customer base is beyond me. It isn’t always design-related. Just turn the stupid music down.
It's not just the music, many of the popular restaurants in the area are very noisy. We've been to Bernini's a half dozen times and love the food and the atmosphere but it's always very noisy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 08:24 AM   #49
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Fan View Post
This x100. We've cut way back on dining out for just this reason. It seems like places are intentionally being set up to maximize noise levels (maybe to turn tables over faster?). That coupled with the general public hollering over each other makes for a very uncomfortable evening, even at so-called upscale eateries.

Any thoughts on restaurants that are on the quieter side?
My only suggestion is the “blue plate special”. Late lunch or early dinner is what the wife and I enjoy. My opinion, O’s the quietest place in the area for dinner. But, it may bankrupt many of it becomes a habit

Lake Fan (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 09:11 AM   #50
thinkxingu

Quote:
My only suggestion is the “blue plate special”. Late lunch or early dinner is what the wife and I enjoy. My opinion, O’s the quietest place in the area for dinner. But, it may bankrupt many of it becomes a habit

This exactly.

These days, we only go out between 7-8:30 for breakfast, 1-3 for lunch and 4-6 for dinner because it's quieter, usually better service, and less/no wait time. Oh, and they never run out of food!

Old 08-30-2023, 12:47 PM   #51
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

Think has the right idea for timing. Note the popularity of early bird specials in FL. I feel like other generations are more accepting of high ambient noise. whether it is at concerts, restaurants, boat & car stereo or even just walking down the street talking on the phone, loud enough to be heard over street noise.
The last three lakes region restaurants I went to all had laminate flooring. That's noisy to start with, but it's easy to clean compared to carpet which absorbs sound as well as spilled drinks. During the pandemic, we liked the partitions in restaurant dining rooms and the outdoor igloos were the best. Those should never have been removed. As I write here, it occurs to me that the places I go to locally (Merrimack) are not as noisy, even with entertainment. Are we all louder when we're on vacation?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 05:30 PM   #52
Mr. V

The seeming trend for more and more places to look quasi-industrial bears some blame.

Bare ceilings, exposed beams and no soft room treatment = loud dining.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:47 PM   #53
jetskier

Default Restaurant Design

I think that a lot of the problem is the design of more contemporary restaurants

- open formats
- hard/flat surfaces
- higher density of people

The other issue is when the conversation noise begins to rise, everyone ends up talking louder to compensate (thermal runaway situation).

Interesting, when I was traveling for business to Ottawa, there is a restaurant with a parabolic ceiling. You had to be very careful as it reflected noise to persons across the room as though you were sitting right next to them. Not good for private business conversations.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jetskier For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (02-21-2024)
Old 08-30-2023, 06:17 PM   #54
gravy boat

Default Thankfully…..

I agree new restaurants need to realize how loud they can be, especially if they have live music. Carpet not feasible due to cleaning. Wall coverings/artwork would help.

That being said…I would rather dine in a happening and louder environment than in a quiet, morgue-like atmosphere where loud patron laughter is found in bad taste, eliciting looks from Fuddy-duddy patrons.
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 09:07 AM   #55
WinnisquamZ

Yesterday afternoon the wife and I stopped in for a late afternoon before dinner drink. As others have noted it’s loud. Whiskey by name only. I can name a few local bars that have a better selection then this place. Now the “hot” button. $14 for a pour of Jack! A bottle is $27 at the NH liquor store. Same pour at the Looney Bin is $8. Tower Hill and Patricks is $9. At O’s and Frog Rock it’s $12. It’s a hard pass until I hear different

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Biggd (09-14-2023), joey2665 (09-14-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 07:54 PM   #56
chachee52

Quote:
Yesterday afternoon the wife and I stopped in for a late afternoon before dinner drink. As others have noted it’s loud. Whiskey by name only. I can name a few local bars that have a better selection then this place. Now the “hot” button. $14 for a pour of Jack! A bottle is $27 at the NH liquor store. Same pour at the Looney Bin is $8. Tower Hill and Patricks is $9. At O’s and Frog Rock it’s $12. It’s a hard pass until I hear different

So the WHISKEY Tavern doesn't have a WHISKEY menu?
Even the Whiskey Room in Burlington VT has a 3 ring binder of ALL their whiskeys, which is well over 100 different bottles.
If Jack is $14 (I typically don't order it out because I always have some at home) than I wonder what something like Woodford is going to be?
Old 09-15-2023, 03:12 PM   #57
JayR

Guess I won't be going there for a Whistle Pig on the rock. I'll try it myself in a few weeks, but based on all these posts, Whisky's appears to be a good spot to get a ... nice cold beer, eh?
Old 09-15-2023, 04:17 PM   #58
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR View Post
Guess I won't be going there for a Whistle Pig on the rock. I'll try it myself in a few weeks, but based on all these posts, Whisky's appears to be a good spot to get a ... nice cold beer, eh?
Didn’t see the WPig.

JayR (10-10-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 02:28 PM   #59
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts
Default Whiskey Tavern

Finally got a chance to tryout the Tavern… food and service was great and we will definitely be back! Below is a few pics of the food as well as the whiskey menu everyone seems interested in….

Dan
Attached Images

Last edited by ishoot308; 10-09-2023 at 03:22 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (02-21-2024), joey2665 (10-09-2023), jst_4_kiks (10-19-2023), Major (10-11-2023)
Old 10-10-2023, 08:08 PM   #60
Scott

Kind of incomprehensible that a restaurant would launch in 2023 and have -zero- internet presence. Not even a facebook page?
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 08:37 PM   #61
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Whiskey Tavern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
Kind of incomprehensible that a restaurant would launch in 2023 and have -zero- internet presence. Not even a facebook page?
https://www.facebook.com/WhiskeyTavernLLC/

Reviews back to August. Grand opening was August 18th. They haven't been open that long. Maybe you just missed the opening and FB page info.

Dave
ishoot308 (10-11-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 08:06 AM   #62
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Finally got a chance to tryout the Tavern… food and service was great and we will definitely be back! Below is a few pics of the food as well as the whiskey menu everyone seems interested in….

Dan
Geez, the food looks great to me. I have to try it out!
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 12:04 PM   #63
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
In all candor, it looks more like tavern food than restaurant food.
Cobalt 12 (10-12-2023)
Old 10-11-2023, 12:48 PM   #64
ishoot308

Default Thumbs Up!

Quote:
Well worth a visit Major!

Dan
Major (10-11-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 06:13 AM   #65
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
In all candor, it looks more like tavern food than restaurant food.
Hence the name. Whiskey Tavern.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KPW For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (02-21-2024), ishoot308 (10-12-2023), RockHopster (10-13-2023)
Old 10-12-2023, 12:05 PM   #66
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPW View Post
Hence the name. Whiskey Tavern.
Yes, I know: my point was that they advertise "Waterfront dining." which seems to imply "fine dining."

Regardless, it is a bold venture and wish the owner success.

While I see no online menu or website, I did find an interesting video, presuambly commissioned by the owner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7KdYyST7zI
Old 10-13-2023, 09:51 AM   #67
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Some of us do not have a refined pallet or are as highly cultured as others on this Forum. We all know who those people are.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2023, 10:57 AM   #68
codeman671

Quote:
Some of us do not have a refined pallet or are as highly cultured as others on this Forum. We all know who those people are.
I resemble that remark!

We went last night. The bar was full but plenty of tables available. The live music was very good. It was put together well, it is clear that they spent a LOT of money on the fit up. The bathrooms were not well thought out, they have 2 unisex one seater bathrooms for a place that holds a lot of people. Needless to say the floor was pretty sticky! They do have a lower level bar that is closed during the off season, and are working on having a roof top deck for next year. We were seated at a high top in the middle, and the lights were so bright on us we felt like we were being interrogated. After moving to a different spot all was good.

We only had apps and drinks. We shared buffalo tenders, the meatball parm app and beer battered onion rings. The tenders looked a bit dried out and the portion was a bit small, but they tasted good. Another party near us got them as well prior to us, their order looked much better in both size and consistency. The meatballs and onion rings were good. The other meals I saw coming out looked great.

The speed and service was excellent.

Certainly going back. Getting bored with Patricks, Ellacoya has been too busy, and Cactus Jacks quality and service has slid recently. Shooters has been our other go to lately for a quick bite. It will be good to have a new spot to frequent as we tend to eat out way too much
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (10-13-2023), Major (10-13-2023)
Old 10-13-2023, 01:28 PM   #69
thinkxingu

Quote:
Preach!

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Major (10-13-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 09:29 PM   #70
Winnigirl83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Dan
Sorry for the late response. Out of curiosity, what did you order (I see the pictures, but wonder about drinks) and how much was the bill? Keep getting conflicting information. Food pics look yummy. From the looks of that mac and cheese, I would devour that!!!
Winnigirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2023, 03:59 AM   #71
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnigirl83 View Post
Sorry for the late response. Out of curiosity, what did you order (I see the pictures, but wonder about drinks) and how much was the bill? Keep getting conflicting information. Food pics look yummy. From the looks of that mac and cheese, I would devour that!!!
I ordered the steak and cheese sub which was fantastic, super tender Philly style, my wife had a chicken sandwich which she said was very good, young friend had the Mac & cheese also excellent, and other friends shared the nachos which they said were great!

We didn’t have any alcoholic drinks other than one beer that a friend ordered as it was a bit early (11:30 AM) and I do not remember what the bill was but it certainly wasn’t out of line….I believe you can find their menu online however…

Dan
Winnigirl83 (10-23-2023)
Old 10-22-2023, 07:15 AM   #72
gravy boat

Thumbs up Gave it a try and very good

We and four friends went on Friday around 615 pm. Bar was full, most tables were full. Service was attentive but drinks came out staggered - one came out, then several minutes later two more, then several minutes the others. After that first round timing was better. Food came out at the same time and was at temperature.

App was shared - onion rings - they were excellent. I mean, IMHO some of the best in this area.
Our party had bake stuffed haddock, the Hangover burger, bacon cheddar burger, fish and chips and 1/2 rack of ribs. All were pleased. Three of us took home leftovers…ample portions for sure.
We will definitely go again!

We are big fans of early dinners (arriving 4-5 pm) so will try it during the week at that time.

It IS very loud…but it was busy and as people left it was less noisy. And not something we mind so much, although others do. But certainly not enough reason to not give it a try.
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 08:12 PM   #73
chachee52

Finally made it over today for a little birthday lunch while the kid was in school. The food was very good and we will be back. I had the NT strip special and the steak was done perfectly Med/rare and my wife decided on a Cobb salad (which she never usually has a salad as the meal) and it was loaded with a lot of good stuff and no iceburg.
BUT....... they had a bunch of specialty drinks and NONE of them had whiskey in them!! With a name of Whiskey Tavern, I would expect most if not all the specialty drinks would have whiskey, and not margaritas and martini lists. Just name is Old School 2 instead of Whiskey Tavern. Hopefully they will be able to bring their boat to the lake and dock out front, but I think they docks are a little short for their boat. looks like you will be able to fit 3 boats at a time.
Old 12-21-2023, 09:00 AM   #74
codeman671

We have been going once very week or two, mainly for apps, drinks and music on the weekends. The apps are pretty good, they make great tenders and whiskey or beer battered onion rings.

The dining lighting was nuclear white for a while, but they seemed to have softened it up a bit. The Thursday night musician is very good.

Being a Whiskey place and there is usually customers asking for shots of cinnamon whiskey, they should stock up and chill it. Nothing worse than warm Fireball or Jack Fire! They did introduce us to Rocky Peak, a locally made cinnamon which is quite good. Stocking it at our bar at home now!

The bathroom situation still sucks....Bad.