Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-30-2023, 10:20 AM   #1
Susie Cougar

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
I certainly never considered myself a hippie. I graduated in 1971 from Belknap College, what year did you graduate
Hey Susie......not trying to stir up trouble but we did find several ladies names and phone numbers on the upstairs bedroom walls of the Coe House when we renovated in 1999
For those that did not know,it was a dorm for the College back in the day.
Hope you weren't involved in any nefarious activities back then.
I’m not sure what phone numbers you found, but when I was in the dorm, all we had was one payphone for everyone to use. Things were pretty quiet when I was there.( There were always stories going around, but not always true.)
The last couple of years that they were open, if you had the money, you could get into the college. Things went downhill pretty quickly and probably why most people think about Belknap College and hippies.
I lived at the White Diamond Motel and also, if anyone remembers, the Black Diamond which was across the street. Lakeshore Drive became a pretty wild and crazy place in the 70s. LSD, what is a fitting nickname for this road. I am sure many landlords were pretty disgusted after their students moved out.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2023, 12:45 PM   #2
John Mercier

They think about ''hippies'' because the Greatest Generation had a different set of standards; and though they didn't use the term ''woke'' were concerned about what Frank Herbert wrote of by using the term ''the sleeper will awaken''. The generational change meant that anything they didn't agree with would be labelled ''hippie'.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2023, 10:18 AM   #3
phoenix

It's interesting as paths eventually cross. I was offered to be asst dean of business at Belknap in 1973. I didn't take the job which was good since that Sept it closed, and I would not have even received one paycheck. But we liked the area so much in 1981 we bought our first lake house and three houses later i Am still there.
Old 10-01-2023, 12:22 PM   #4
John Mercier

One of the things the various colleges/universities do is introduce new people to the area... generally they are younger... but not always.
Old 10-01-2023, 12:48 PM   #5
LoveLakeLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
They think about ''hippies'' because the Greatest Generation had a different set of standards; and though they didn't use the term ''woke'' were concerned about what Frank Herbert wrote of by using the term ''the sleeper will awaken''. The generational change meant that anything they didn't agree with would be labelled ''hippie'.
Haha I’m not so sure hippies were defined by what they thought. I think the way they looked (unkempt, bearded, long-haired), spoke (man, cool, dig, grouch), and acted (drugs, jobless) were and are the hallmarks of hippies, no quotation marks necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2023, 01:18 PM   #6
John Mercier

I didn't say anything about what the Boomer generation ''thought''; it was about what the Greatest Generation thought.

The locals thought the college kids hippies because they looked different, talked different, and believed them to be involved in social ills (drugs, jobless).

The Boomers now think the same of the Millennials.

A lot of that of course is projecting.
Old 10-01-2023, 11:28 PM   #7
Descant

Thanked 1,530 Times in 989 Posts

I think it's time to stop attributing opinions to groups. I'm a Boomer. My cousin graduated from Belknap College and became a broadcast meteorologist. I don't think he ever owned a pair of bell bottom pants or smoked anything stronger than a candy cigarette.

The census bureau determines what ethnic group you belong to and publishes those numbers by ZIP code. The news media bosses say "Find out what group A or B is thinking", and they run a telephone survey in certain ZIP codes and they say 25% of "A" will vote this way. Adding "Millennials" or "Gen Z" without adding ZIP code, ethnic origin, etc only adds to the error. Yes, I know, they're experts and account for all that, but on election day we find out they really don't know and we all nod about the margin or error.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 05:49 AM   #8
mowtorman

Default More memories

Fun to see the picture of the 4th of July Parade. Longwood I remember as a true family restaurant...there weren't many choices coming off Moultonborough Neck. JoJo's was McCormick's, the name is still in the box across the street. Kona sold for $250,000 with hundreds of acres of land. The par 3 golf was in great shape and actually had greens and sand traps! Mr. Ross owned Moultonborough Marina until a man from MA walked in and offered him "more money than he could ever have dreamed of"...$300,000. He had purchased the small marina next to him and consolidated. John Almand and Chrysler boat dealer super nice man.

The old classic white buildings next to Nichols Store were dilapidated Belknap housing with students hanging out in front. The students were in contrast to the seminary students or brothers from up the road. They wore the same clothes as Mennonites when they marched as a group in the parade.

A huge event every summer in Center Harbor was the August firefighters clambake. They were buried deep in coals on the beach. It was the only time I have ever seen the little brick beach boathouse open.

Having lived in Vermont there are many boomers who headed for Canada to avoid the draft and settled in Vermont after Gerald Ford's pardon. Belknap had a reputation as a school that anyone could attend with as an alternative education similar to Goddard College.

Dick Tower was my first boss as daytime dishwasher at $1.75 per hour at the Woodshed. Genuinely gracious man he also had something to do with the Red Hill Dairy as we stored the containers of soft serve at the Woodshed. Rick was the head chef and may have been the life of the party at 2 am but he was no fun when he showed up late am in the kitchen. Not a pleasant person to deal with firing cooking pans into the double stainless wash basin. The servers were super nice, I remember a few named Vicki, Susie and Kristy. Any of you girls out there? The dishroom was hotter than heck with no AC and the steam coming out of the double sided dishwashing machine. I made some good friends working there. Marie was the sous chef who then opened Marie's Diner. A woman in town made the best carrot bread you could ever imagine that she would deliver still warm to the restaurant...just add butter)).

Our family stayed many times summer and winter at the White Diamond later the Staffordshire Inn. Their bar was busy in the 70s. We skied Waterville when it was just Snow's Mountain (a rope tow and a t bar plus pot belly warming hut), Gunstock , Mittersill and Loon...."if the grate be empty put coal on")). There weren't any students living at the White Diamond when we stayed in the 60s. It was kept up very well and clean. Ice fishing, snowmobiles, dogsleds so much happening. One of 2 gas docks in Center Harbor I think they had a game room down to the left by the water.

The next summer I was being trained as a prep cook when I took a job with A and P in Meredith with a huge pay increase to $2.50 per hour. I can still smell the 8 O'clock coffee grinding at the checkout while I bagged. It was a great job..... everyone had to shop there.

Boy am I getting old. Now Shangri La.... that's a whole other story...... the Brickyard.
mowtorman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mowtorman For This Useful Post:
ApS (11-12-2023), Bayview Girl (11-13-2023), BroadHopper (11-10-2023), Descant (11-08-2023), farechofisherman (11-14-2023), ishoot308 (11-08-2023), Janet (11-08-2023), LoveLakeLife (11-07-2023), Pine Island Guy (11-16-2023), SAMIAM (11-09-2023), Susie Cougar (11-07-2023)
Old 11-08-2023, 05:09 PM   #9
duocat

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
I’m not sure what phone numbers you found, but when I was in the dorm, all we had was one payphone for everyone to use. Things were pretty quiet when I was there.( There were always stories going around, but not always true.)
The last couple of years that they were open, if you had the money, you could get into the college. Things went downhill pretty quickly and probably why most people think about Belknap College and hippies.
I lived at the White Diamond Motel and also, if anyone remembers, the Black Diamond which was across the street. Lakeshore Drive became a pretty wild and crazy place in the 70s. LSD, what is a fitting nickname for this road. I am sure many landlords were pretty disgusted after their students moved out.
Black Diamond!! In the summer of 1971 I Lived there with four roommates. After we moved out in the fall the owner Mark Packard had the fire department burn it down in a training exercise. Might have been because he wanted to build his new house on the site or "Maybe" as you suggest, he didn't care for our housekeeping.
Re: Paul Costley the first restaurant he owned in the area was called "The Beggars Banquet." It was in the building where Elvios Pizza is. He later had a restaurant on LSD called Cavaliers Cove. At different times I tended bar in both of them.
duocat is offline   Reply With Quote