Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2023, 05:56 PM   #1
dva

Default Light and noise on the lake near Diamond Island

Anyone see the light on the lake on the north east side of Diamond Island tonight? Monday around 430.
dva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:16 PM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dva View Post
Anyone see the light on the lake on the north east side of Diamond Island tonight? Monday around 430.
Yes and I called 911! It looked like two or three people in trouble in either a hovercraft or air Jon boat. They were stuck in the same spot for over an hour. I was watching through a spotting scope but it was quite dark…I saw someone with a net in his hand who kept reaching down in the water and I saw a lot of water splashing around them. When they finally got moving it didn’t look good as I could see they were having a very difficult time and water was splashing everywhere like they were continually breaking through… I hope they are OK…

Dan
Old 02-06-2023, 07:11 PM   #3
dva

Default Any update

If you hear anything please give an update. Thanks
dva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM   #4
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by dva View Post
If you hear anything please give an update. Thanks
Will do!

Dan
Old 02-06-2023, 08:32 PM   #5
SAB1

I heard there was a loon rescue going on tonight could it be that?
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (02-06-2023), LIforrelaxin (02-07-2023)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2023, 08:44 PM   #6
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
I heard there was a loon rescue going on tonight could it be that?

Well if it was, the loon would have had to have been on ice in the broads. I guess that’s possible….that would also explain the net I saw….and the massive white and yellow lights….

Dan
Old 02-07-2023, 05:21 AM   #7
ApS

Thumbs up Kudoes--High Risk to Rescuers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Well if it was, the loon would have had to have been on ice in the broads. I guess that’s possible….that would also explain the net I saw….and the massive white and yellow lights….Dan
A few years ago, about 17 Loons were "trapped" in the lake's surface by fresh ice. I don't think any survived. They ended-up as ghostly white bumps on the ice--sadly.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 08:51 AM   #8
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
A few years ago, about 17 Loons were "trapped" in the lake's surface by fresh ice. I don't think any survived. They ended-up as ghostly white bumps on the ice--sadly.

Yes that was a very sad incident... My wife who loves loons, cried a little when we heard about it..... Nature sometimes isn't very nice....
Old 02-07-2023, 09:58 AM   #9
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post

I vaguely remember that….

Dan
Old 02-08-2023, 07:54 AM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Any more news? Did they save the loons?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:36 AM   #11
ishoot308

Default No Further Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Any more news? Did they save the loons?
Hi Tis,

I haven’t heard anything back at all from any of the authorities involved to include…. Gilford PD, Gilford FD, 911, State Police and NHF&G. All were involved when I called to report what I thought and what looked like someone struggling on the ice.

I’m not sure this was a loon recovery or someone messing around with their airboat and got themselves in trouble. It would of been nice to receive a call back but I am just glad I didn’t hear or read about any casualties on the lake…

Dan
Old 02-08-2023, 09:01 AM   #12
Merrymeeting

It was a loon rescue attempt by Loon Preservation Committee based on a post on Facebook. No news on the outcome yet.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 11:10 AM   #13
CampEye

The story below is from last January, but was new news to me for how and why loons need to be rescued from the lake.

TLDR - they molt their flight feathers in winter. If they don't fly to the ocean before the lake freezes, they become "sitting ducks" on the frozen lake as they also can't walk on land/ice due to their rear legs being so far back on their bodies.

https://www.wmur.com/article/loons-l...shire/38860845

I'm guessing most of you all already knew this though!
CampEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 11:25 AM   #14
garysanfran

The owner of Chickadee Station, Moultonborough, told me that getting stuck in the ice is a big problem for loons and ducks. Nature is a tough place to live in.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 01:15 PM   #15
tis

Quote:
Hi Tis,

I haven’t heard anything back at all from any of the authorities involved to include…. Gilford PD, Gilford FD, 911, State Police and NHF&G. All were involved when I called to report what I thought and what looked like someone struggling on the ice.

I’m not sure this was a loon recovery or someone messing around with their airboat and got themselves in trouble. It would of been nice to receive a call back but I am just glad I didn’t hear or read about any casualties on the lake…

Dan
I agree, it would have been nice of them to call you back! At least one of them you would think! Guess they're too busy. I saw the same post Merrymeeting saw that is was a loon rescue. The loon society in Moultonboro are usually the ones that do that. If it was loons, I hope they saved them. I imagine they are very confused this year with the warm weather and open water.
Old 02-08-2023, 01:53 PM   #16
Mr. V

Why should we interfere with natural processes and try to save the loons?

"It's not nice to fool Mother Nature."
Old 02-08-2023, 03:45 PM   #17
ishoot308

Quote:
I agree, it would have been nice of them to call you back! At least one of them you would think! Guess they're too busy. I saw the same post Merrymeeting saw that is was a loon rescue. The loon society in Moultonboro are usually the ones that do that. If it was loons, I hope they saved them. I imagine they are very confused this year with the warm weather and open water.
Tis,

On what site did you see the post regarding the loon / loons rescue?

Thanks!

Dan
Old 02-08-2023, 05:39 PM   #18
tis

Quote:
Tis,

On what site did you see the post regarding the loon / loons rescue?

Thanks!

Dan
I think it was Everything Lake Winnipesaukee on Facebook.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 05:45 PM   #19
tis

i shoot- I think Scott Mooney posted it?
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 06:35 PM   #20
codeman671

Quote:
i shoot- I think Scott Mooney posted it?
There wasn’t much mentioned about it. Just stated an airboat was involved in a loon rescue. He didn’t know of the outcome.
codeman671 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:48 PM   #21
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
There wasn’t much mentioned about it. Just stated an airboat was involved in a loon rescue. He didn’t know of the outcome.
I looked on the loon society page also and they didn't mention anything about it.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:37 PM   #22
Flygrllll

I was flying that night. We circled the area trying to figure out what was going on, if someone was in trouble or if it was a rescue. Anyway, we called in via radio to the FBO and they checked on it, got back to us that it was indeed a Loon rescue. They had a lot of calls about it, which is probably why they didn't get back to everyone. The next day I flew with a gentleman who was hired by the loon rescue group to find the loons. They were able to rescue all but two that night (I think he said there were 5 or 7 total, I can't remember). They planned on returning early in the morning to get the other two. He didn't know, but was pretty sure they would have gotten them.
Flygrllll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Flygrllll For This Useful Post:
ApS (02-09-2023), Descant (02-09-2023), Garcia (02-08-2023), ishoot308 (02-08-2023), lakewinnie (02-09-2023), Newbiesaukee (02-09-2023), Slickcraft (02-09-2023), tis (02-09-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 06:40 AM   #23
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

WMUR report:

https://www.wmur.com/article/seven-i...lakes/42833875

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (02-11-2023), Pine Island Guy (02-12-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 07:55 AM   #24
tis

If you go to the loon society page, there is more.
Old 02-11-2023, 08:02 AM   #25
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
That is definitely the kind of boat I saw!

Glad it was all planned as I was seriously worried watching it unfold…

Thanks for posting Alan!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 02-11-2023 at 08:54 AM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 08:48 AM   #26
tis

i think they found one dead when they got there but they saved 6. Don't quote me on that though.
Old 02-12-2023, 06:59 PM   #27
Lakegeezer

Default LPC Newsletter

The Loon Preservation Committee (LPC) has a newsletter that you can sign up for at https://loon.org/newsletter/

A newsletter came out recently about the rescue. Here is the text, without the great pics that went along with it.

In our January E-newsletter, we reported on a slew of iced-in loon rescues that kept us busy all December long. January brought a bit of a respite from the ice rescue business. With warm temperatures keeping many lakes open, we did not have any January ice rescues this year. That kept LPC staff free to attend to our normal January work, including catching up on necropsies of deceased loons collected in 2022, wrapping up our 2022 Lead Tackle Buyback program, preparing a set of loon eggs for contaminant testing, and working on reporting our 2022 data.

You've probably noticed that this E-Newsletter is coming to you a bit later in the month than usual. That's because unlike January, February is already keeping us busy with iced-in loon rescues! Extreme cold temperatures at the start of the month caused New Hampshire's lakes to finally ice over. Knowing that these cold temperatures were coming, and that warm early winter temperatures may have caused some loons to remain on lakes longer than they should have and put them at risk of becoming iced-in, LPC staff spent weeks at the end of January and beginning of February monitoring for loon presence and ice conditions on New Hampshire lakes using bird watchers' reports, public webcams, and in-person surveys. We even worked with a drone operator to survey parts of Lake Winnipesaukee!

We were therefore not surprised when, on the evening of Sunday, February 5th, we received a report of a young loon in trouble on Newfound Lake. The loon had been forced up on top of the ice, and there were two eagles watching it from close by. By the time we received the report, it was too late to get to the lake before dark. We hoped that the loon would survive the night, and we headed out first thing in the morning to check. Thankfully, the loon was still present and completely unharmed by the eagles, and LPC Senior Biologist, John Cooley, was able to quickly capture it. The loon was brought for blood work and an x-ray at VCA Capital Area Veterinary Emergency and Specialty (CAVES), where we met with wildlife rehabilitator Maria Colby of Wings of the Dawn Wildlife Rehabilitation. The loon's exam revealed no major problems, but because it was underweight, it went with Maria for feeding and observation.

Knowing that other large lakes had also recently iced-over, LPC staff spent Monday afternoon proactively checking Lake Winnipesaukee and Winnisquam Lake for loons in distress and located an additional 6 loons on Lake Winnipesaukee. One of the loons was relatively close to shore and was surrounded by eagles. John once again donned his cold water rescue suit and headed out to catch it. While this loon was able to be captured and was unharmed, the carcass of a second loon that unfortunately had not been quite as lucky was found near the opening in the ice.

Though the first loon on Winnipesaukee was close enough to shore and on thick enough ice to be safely rescued, the remaining five were much further out and on much thinner ice, and we knew that it would not be safe to try to rescue them without additional help. We called the Tuftonboro Fire Department, and they sent their airboat along with three firefighters to help rescue the loons safely. Together, the team caught three more loons that night. All four of these Winnipesaukee loons were brought to VCA CAVES that night for x-rays and sent to Maria Colby for feeding and observation.

By Tuesday, the ice on Winnipesaukee had set up a bit more, and we determined that it was safe for LPC staff to head out to try to capture the remaining two loons without additional assistance. LPC Senior Biologist, John Cooley, and Senior Biologist/Executive Director, Harry Vogel, headed out with cold water rescue suits, gill nets and long-handled capture nets. Over the course of three hours, during which they maintained constant contact via cell phone with other LPC staff who were keeping an eye on them from shore, they traveled miles across the ice to rescue the remaining two loons, which had separated overnight and were in two different holes in the ice about a half-mile apart. They succeeded in capturing both and headed back to shore. The loons were taken to VCA CAVES and then spent the night with the previously rescued loons at Wings of the Dawn.

The loons must have been very hungry because over the course of their time with Maria, they consumed a total of 16 dozen (192) bait fish! By Wednesday morning, all of the loons were fed, rested, and ready to go. LPC staff met with Maria at Odiorne Point, where we banded the loons and released them on the ocean (well within the wintering range for New England loons). Because they are now banded, we will be able to tell if any of these loons return to New Hampshire lakes in the future.

In recent years, winter rescues like the ones conducted this week have become a natural extension of LPC's traditional breeding season management. They help us to address a new problem that seems to be emerging in response to a warming climate keeping lakes open further and further into the winter. Loons can live for 30 years or longer. As such, the loss of a single breeding loon can impact many years of potential nesting and chick production. Rescues like this one have already had a positive impact on New Hampshire’s loon population. In January 2022, LPC biologists rescued ten loons that had become iced-in on Lake Winnipesaukee. This past summer, six of those ten loons were resighted on New Hampshire lakes. Four of the six were members of breeding pairs, and two added to New Hampshire’s loon population by raising chicks. In addition to contributing to the continued growth of New Hampshire's loon population, rescuing individual loons provides valuable insight into the health and behavior of loons in the winter.
ApS (02-12-2023), Pine Island Guy (02-12-2023), Roy_Hobbs (02-13-2023), upthesaukee (02-13-2023)