Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-29-2005, 08:49 PM   #1
66WINN

Default Boating at Night

I would like to get some advice on what people think about boating on the lake at night. I am relatively new at it and have found my way by traveling from lighted bouy to bouy. I was feeling pretty comfortable then I read some news articles that gave me some second thoughts and left me with saftey concerns. What experiences or advice can you offer?
66WINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 10:44 PM   #2
Rinkerfam

Boating at night can be one of the most enjoyable experiences on the lake. My advice to you would be to travel in areas you are comfortable in by day. If you have some idea of what is out there to begin with, it makes navigation that much easier. Be very aware of your surroundings (360 degrees all of the time). Be careful not to confuse lights from shore with navigation aids and other boats. Some people like to put red and green light on docks or homes which can be a distraction to say the least. Moonlit nights are best for visibility, but venturing out on a moonless night can also be very rewarding. The only negative experience I have had while boating at night was when a bat hit me square in the forehead while traveling at 25 mph (stay below the windshield if possible ). Be safe and enjoy.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:54 PM   #3
Bear Islander

My advise is don't go anywhere at night that you are not familiar with during the day.

And at night it's hard to judge distance, another boat or the shore my be closer than you think.

Try to use and develop your night vision instead of turning on a light all the time.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 11:33 PM   #4
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Prepare then enjoy

This topic has come up here before so as to not repeat myself I'll refer you to link below. I'd echo what the others have said and add that the only time I've had any real worry boating at night was dealing with the yahoos after July 4'th show(s). That said I would advise a GPS unit for those nights should visibilty go to nil unexpectedly (it's also a comfort to have 2 sources of nav info, navaids you mentioned plus GPS). Make sure your boat's lights are working before you head out and really, really know how to interpret the navigation lights on a boat vis-a-vis the navigation rules.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47
Old 09-30-2005, 07:16 AM   #5
ITD

Your docking lights are not headlights. They should only be used for docking. Trying to use them as headlights not only ruins your night vision, they can be confused as a stern light by another boat, not a good thing.

Be Safe....
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-2005, 07:53 AM   #6
Silver Duck

The previous posts were all good advice, especially about the GPS! One thing I've noticed is that not all running lights are created equal, especially the stern or "all around" white light.

Please make sure that yours is as bright as possible without spoiling your own night vision, since 1) the light does not move for someone that is overtaking you from directly astern, and 2) is therefore very easy for another boater to mistake for someody's front porch light!

Rinkerfam's statement about 360 degree awareness is also very important because of the above. Since your attention will be focussed mostly ahead, it is a good idea to have somebody else keeping a close watch astern (but you need to pay attention to what's behind you, too!)

Finally, I'd advise keeping your speed way, way down. The best GPS in the world will not show floating branches!

Have fun and be safe out there!

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:59 AM   #7
MJM

Default Ease Into It

My advice is simple: take it in small pieces over time. Go out in an area you are already very familiar with until you get familiar with it at night. Then add a bit to that area, once comfortable with the bigger area, add again, and so on.

I have everyone on board either hold or wear a PFD, just as an added safety measure.

And enjoy!
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:01 AM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Lightbulb Great Advice

All the advice given in this thread are important. It is also important that you wear some sort of eye protection. Not because of the bats as there are plenty of flies.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:26 AM   #9
Lakewinniboater

Default Gps

GPS is the only way to go in my books!!! I had a think fog roll in on me one night and I go very disoriented. VERY scary. However, Marine Patrol helped get me passed some tough spots!!!

Also, if a bat ever hit me in the head while I was driving.... that would be the end of any night time excursions for ME!!! YUCK
Old 09-30-2005, 09:37 AM   #10
Dave R

I did more night boating this year than I have ever done in all the years previous combined. This was also my first year with a GPS chartplotter and a Bizer C-Map cartridge... It was just plain awesome and I loved it.

I found that your technique of going from light to light is the best and it's pretty obvious that the lighted markers are setup for doing precisely that. When combined with the GPS, going from light to light is extremely easy and confidence inspiring. You'll spend far less time trying to be sure of your location and more time scanning for hazard with GPS. Did I mention I like GPS?

Some random tips I can add:

Have a spotlight ready to use and at your finger tips. You never know when you'll need it to flash toward someone who does not see you. Pilot your boat with your hand on the throttle as much as possible. Be ready to react quickly. Carry spare bulbs and fuses for your navigation lights and know how to replace them quickly. Have blankets on board for passengers to use. Something about cruising in the cool night air, under the stars, and snuggled warmly under a blanket is just soooo right. Don't be afraid to go slowly; there's no hurry.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:01 AM   #11
Mink Islander

Default Bat fly in me face

Had it happen once too. Felt like a furry beanbag smacking me right in the forehead!
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 11:46 AM   #12
Misty Blue

Default Night Boating

66:

Great advice from all. I too like my GPS with Bizer chip. But don't get too dependant on it. Use all of your senses.

One thing to keep in mind this time of year. The Marine Patrol starts to remove the lights from the lighted bouys after Columbus day.

Have FUN.

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 12:01 PM   #13
Mee-n-Mac

Default Eye gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper
It is also important that you wear some sort of eye protection. Not because of the bats as there are plenty of flies.
Just to add to this point ... I don't like to look through the windsheild. It distorts the view ever so slightly to annoy me and at night I really want to be sure of what I'm seeing. Thus I've often got my head above the windsheild and though I've not had a bat hit me , the larger bugs (dragonflies, beetles, ???) can smack you hard enough I have to wear eyeglasses (or contacts) and always wear the glasses at night. Not just for the bug protection but to stop the wind from tearing* up my eyes. The latter is an issue for me even at low nightime speeds.

*Tearing as in producing tears not as in ripping tissue apart
Old 09-30-2005, 02:48 PM   #14
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default Radar...

I use radar for nighttime navigation and it works the best. I can see all the boats around me, even the ones without lights, landmasses, marks, and rain squalls, even the ducks. Anything with reflective paint or markers on it really show up good, navigation marks with their reflectors really stand out, I can see them miles away. Not only can I see things, I can see how far away it is and in what direction it is moving. The Radar is integrated with all of the other navigation instruments on board, heading, course, speed, depth and other information is displayed on the screen. I wouldn't leave home without it.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:46 PM   #15
KTO

Nightime boating---

Definitely be well experienced and familiar with the lake.

If its a fairly new time, don't go too far on the first time out.

Be familiar with your position

The night world is much more difficult than the day world.

ALWAYS carry a spotlight and a map
KTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 06:30 AM   #16
ApS

Default Furry beanbags included?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee Divers
"...I use radar for nighttime navigation and it works the best. I can see all the boats around me, even the ones without lights, landmasses, marks, and rain squalls, even the ducks..."
However, your boat is large and slow.

With floating debris, the unseen sub-surface objects wouldn't be a problem -- even in the dark.

Would you recommend radar for Mink Islander's bat?

Sidebar: California has some very restrictive night-boating limits on their lakes...starting at no boating at all.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:38 AM   #17
66WINN

Default Thanks

Thank you for all the great posts and links. Your perspectives have helped inspire my confidence again. Saftey first.

I've seen a few of the bats up close. They can be quite startling. Never got one in the head though.

Thanks again.
66WINN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2005, 09:40 PM   #18
Mee-n-Mac

Default Curious re: Radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipesaukee Divers
I use radar for nighttime navigation and it works the best. I can see all the boats around me, even the ones without lights, landmasses, marks, and rain squalls, even the ducks. Anything with reflective paint or markers on it really show up good, navigation marks with their reflectors really stand out, I can see them miles away. {snip}
Aside from night-time boating usage, I'm curious about how well marine radar picks up small craft like rowboats, canoes or kayaks ? If they showup, is it easy to distinguish them from waves ? Just interested about how well commercial/recreational marine radar works.

Last edited by Mee-n-Mac; 10-02-2005 at 10:45 PM.
Mee-n-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2005, 07:51 AM   #19
Winnipesaukee Divers

Default More on RADAR

Yes, in fact you can distinguish the difference between small boats and waves very easily. You can tune out the waves and or rain and leave just solid objects on the screen.

When I first got the radar, I was doing as the manual suggested by running it in clear daylight to get a feel what differ objects really looked like. While sitting at our dock, I scanned all the boats in the mooring field and boats coming and going in the harbor. Then all of a sudden I notice this very bight target closing in fast on me. It looked like a large cruiser on a collision course with me. I got up from the cockpit and charged up on the deck to fend this out of control boat off. To my surprise it was only a guy in racing kayak with his reflective life jacket on in perfect control.

Waves are either blips or symmetrical lines that appear and disappear on the screen randomly. Boats on the other hand show up with every sweep of the antenna. I can put a electronic marker on objects to see, if it is moving and in what direction. Marks are like the guy in the kayak, a real bright dot that doesn’t move.
Winnipesaukee Divers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 11:41 AM   #20
SBC

Default Midnight runnin'

Have been breezing through the thread so not sure if anyone mentioned it but that second set of eyes, as in a dependable spotter, is always a good thing to have. As far as the tearing (boo-hoo) goes, think about a quality pair of goggles or even safety glasses. Sure helps during a fly hatching too.
SBC is offline   Reply With Quote