Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
AC2717

Default Bimini Top Info needed

Hi All
The Wifey and I have finally decided to have a Bimini top put on the boat. The boat is not currently set up for one, but has the mounts on it for a camper top. We still have the camper top but it is in poor shape and you really cannot stand underneath it due to its height. We also do not have a trailer.
So we are looking for someone to come to our dock, take measurements and then go from there. Also we would need the cockpit cover to be cut and stitched so the structure for the top can stay without have to take it down to put the cover on the boat

THanks, I was thinking Village canvas, but would love to get as many suggestions as possible with possible different points of views from the makers of the top
Old 07-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Canvas work

I use The Canvas Guys in Gilford. They are located by Greens & Beans/Patrick's Pub. Tom Sullivan and staff do a nice job.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
Jonas Pilot

Default Never mind.

I thought you said BIKINI top.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #4
Grove84

Default Bimini Top

My previous boat was a 21' Chris Craft concept bowrider with a convertible top like you describe. Betty from village canvas came to the marina , took all the measurements created the top and did the install, after 12 years it still looks brand new and Betty did an awesome job.
Grove84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:39 AM   #5
Belmont Resident

Thumbs down Village canvas

Both my wife and I have had great work done by Ship Shape Marine works.
My wife had a full camper pkg. made after a failed attemp by the dealer who sells her brand of boat.
I had a complete top, windshield and sides made by Village canvas for my Baja but had problems and was unable to get them to return calls so I had Ann do the work for me and it came out far better then it originally was.
I know a lot of people who have had great work by village but unless you do have a problem you never know how it will be handled. I was left uninpressed.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
rick35

There are a number of places you can buy a bimini online. Overtons, Bass Pro and Cabelas all offer them. I bought mine from Ameri-Brand Products who are a retailer for Carver. I found my boat and the sunbrella fabric that matched my boat cover and the order went through Ameri-Brand to the factory at Carver. The bimini was shipped from Carver a few days later. I also ordered a trailer cover the same way and the fit was perfect just for my boat. Installation for a bimini is easy.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:40 AM   #7
Belmont Resident

Default Question

Does the one you ordered come with zippers for adding on?
If not and you ever decide to add on you have to have a new one made. Unless I'm mistaken the ones you order are not equiped with zippers for windshields, sides or aft curtain. So your top would have to be made over to add the zippers required. But if all you will ever need is the top then your all set.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
Kerk

Default Bimini Top

I have used Canvas Plus in Melvin Village :603-544-3178 Good service and good work.
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #9
rick35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Does the one you ordered come with zippers for adding on?
If not and you ever decide to add on you have to have a new one made. Unless I'm mistaken the ones you order are not equiped with zippers for windshields, sides or aft curtain. So your top would have to be made over to add the zippers required. But if all you will ever need is the top then your all set.
The Carver bimini does not come with zippers. At that point you're talking custom. I added a front clear panel a couple of years ago from Gate City Canvas in Merrimack. I had some matching sunbrella material and the perimeter matched the other canvas perfectly. I've been thinking about adding side curtains next. But when you add panels to the bimini you need to add snaps and that's when it's time to have a professional do the work. No broken glass for me.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:07 AM   #10
8gv

Default Long story...

I went to the Sea Ray dealer to order a new mooring cover and Bimini top for my Florida boat. The sun really cooks the tops there! I paid BIG bucks. When the canvas came it was made by Great Lakes Boat Tops.

http://www.greatlakesboattop.com/

As it turns out, they supply original canvas to several manufacturers. When I called them for a price check I found them to be quite a bit cheaper than what I had paid the Sea Ray dealer.

LESSON LEARNED!

It is possible your boat is on their list. I hope it is!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #11
AC2717

thank 8gv, i sent them a email as the boat was not listed but said to contact them
Old 08-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
AC2717

well here's a update:
I contacted Cobalt and they advised one was never made for the boat so would have to go custom, talked to GReat Lakes Boat tops and they did not have demensions, and even If I sent them to them via cobalt themselves they would not make one and to go local - completely understand.

So during this time, A forum member, who will remain nameless as a respect to privacy, actually gave me a top that will and should work with a minor modification on the mounts.

Does anyone know where I can get mount parts such as a replacement pole or a connection part for the windshield, those aluminum parts like that?

Canvas folks or would marina's such as irwins have that?
Old 08-01-2012, 01:54 PM   #13
SAB1

I have seen some connector parts at West Marine. The pole I am uncertain. Possibly a canvas shop could make one for you if they are not to busy. You may be best to just go to one shop and pay them to install the whole thing.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #14
AC2717

west marine has exactly what I am looking for, did not even think of them. I have restrictions on the canvas shops because I do not have a trailer for the boat.
No big deal, i might not even need poles I was just trying to forecast. Once I get it set up over the boat I can see if I would need them or not, I am thinking I do not but wanted to be prepared so this could be a couple hour project and not a multiple day project
Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #15
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
west marine has exactly what I am looking for, did not even think of them. I have restrictions on the canvas shops because I do not have a trailer for the boat.
No big deal, i might not even need poles I was just trying to forecast. Once I get it set up over the boat I can see if I would need them or not, I am thinking I do not but wanted to be prepared so this could be a couple hour project and not a multiple day project
Make sure that the location for the mounting hardware is thick enough to support the screws and weight of the top. If not you can reinforce the area from behind (if accessable) with a piece of 3/8" plywood glued in place. This is what some manufactures do.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:52 AM   #16
AC2717

went to West Marine yesterday

some good news: I was told they jsut started doing wholesale deliveries up to the lakes region, I always ask them down here in the Boston area, when they are going to put a store up in the lakes region, so maybe this is the start

They had all the parts I was looking for and staff was very helpful. Thickness and location was taken into consideration

Good thing is that Nevah Land has a raggity old camper top so the mounts for the back of the bimini will mount in the same location as that, just had to add windshield mounts. Opted for the side mounts instead of the top mounts due to mounting space and weight considerations. Only needed to spend $12 in parts.

After this weekend, I am going to contact Village or the Canvas guys to come down nexy weekend to the dock and mark up the canvans to fit around the bimini supports - haha this will be the bank buster lol

getting excited!!!!
Old 08-06-2012, 08:17 AM   #17
AC2717

Well had a lot os success and ease, putting the top on, see picture below. There is plenty of room, because of the dept of the deck to walk under it and stand up while driving, but I would like to get it a little bit higher. I did not want to put the bimini ontop of the windshield because of the thin frame around the windshield, plus my camper top mount spot was perfect and factory installed for the main poles of the top.

My question is this and I did some searching, I would like to get this about 5 six inches higher, because whiel standing it is hard to see to the left and to the right without ducking your head down, so I am looking for extenders of some sort. Thoguht about getting the next sized pole if I could find them and make something,but I was hoping there was something factory type made
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #18
Rich

I don't know if this will work, but couldn't you gain some height just by changing the angles of your support bows?

You may need a new length to the rear support arm or mount the arms to the boat in a slightly different location, but perhaps you can change the angles of the others and gain some height?
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #19
AC2717

Hi Rich
We did end up changing the angles, which is what is seen above, but took us a couple to try that out
I am actually going to be hooking it up to the windshield this evening or first thing tomorrow morning, I believe it will hold just fine. I do not mind the extra mount points on the boat because I am switch back and forth depending on wind and sun all that fun stuff:
To be continued with a picture next week!!!

Thank you again to my Forum friend that will stay nameless!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:38 PM   #20
John A. Birdsall

Default top

This summer I ordered from overton's a new Bimini for the Party boat, and it was so simple to put together I did it myself. I thought about the zipper deal and if needed I could have a zipper added by using a sewing machine. Once you get the mechanics assembled it is simple to install on the boat, an electric screw gun and your all set. Maybe a magnet to pick up the screws one drops in the lake, and that is the hard part.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #21
AC2717

SUCCESS!!!!
i just did not take a picture it, is now in the same area, just a top of the windshield and secure, looks great, works great. So happy!!!