Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2022, 11:30 AM   #1
DaveSwimm

Default Boat towing service

Hello, I’m offering a boat towing service and I would like your advise on where to advertise my service. I hope you can help. David
DaveSwimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 03:38 PM   #2
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Do you have a new Hampshire Commercial Boat License?

Is your boat insured for commercial use and towing?

If all of your paperwork is in order email the Webmaster on this site. He accepts advertisers.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:11 PM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Do you have a new Hampshire Commercial Boat License?

Is your boat insured for commercial use and towing?

If all of your paperwork is in order email the Webmaster on this site. He accepts advertisers.
I got the impression the OP wanted to move your boat from NH to FL, or similar towing.

If it is on water rescue towing, I'd think he would just sign up with BOAT/US or Sea Tow to be a sub-contractor.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 04:58 PM   #4
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I got the impression the OP wanted to move your boat from NH to FL, or similar towing.

If it is on water rescue towing, I'd think he would just sign up with BOAT/US or Sea Tow to be a sub-contractor.
Do people actually hire out to tow someones boat on their trailer locally?

I have used "Hot-Shot" drivers to do cross country towing, but never locally.

Could be an interesting retirement part time job!
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:23 PM   #5
DaveSwimm

Default Towing service

My thought was to do pick up and delivery of peoples boats that don’t have tow vehicles. I would pick up the clients trailer, and meet them at the ramp secure the boat and deliver the boat and trailer to a marina for service or to the clients desired destination. Or pick up the boat and trailer and put it in the water and return the trailer to the desired location. Or any sort of boat transport under 10,000 lbs. or approx 24’. I have a commercially insured truck. I carry $500,000 liability insurance and boats being transported at this time up to $100,000. Im not sure I there is a market for this service. And exactly as you say a part time retirement job before I head down to Florida. Where on this forum could I post this service? Thanks ahead of time guys!
DaveSwimm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveSwimm For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-19-2022)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2022, 08:02 PM   #6
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSwimm View Post
My thought was to do pick up and delivery of peoples boats that don’t have tow vehicles. I would pick up the clients trailer, and meet them at the ramp secure the boat and deliver the boat and trailer to a marina for service or to the clients desired destination. Or pick up the boat and trailer and put it in the water and return the trailer to the desired location. Or any sort of boat transport under 10,000 lbs. or approx 24’. I have a commercially insured truck. I carry $500,000 liability insurance and boats being transported at this time up to $100,000. Im not sure I there is a market for this service. And exactly as you say a part time retirement job before I head down to Florida. Where on this forum could I post this service? Thanks ahead of time guys!
Sounds like a useful service to me!

I see way too many people towing their boats at the beginning and end of the season with vehicles that should not be used for this purpose and they always say, "well it only once a year and I take it easy". Not a good idea when the boat is 2000 Lbs over the minivans towing limit. Of whatever you are using. Its all fine until it goes wrong.

So I can see a need for such as service.

Now selling it to people is a different story. Some will be very thankful and others will say "why should i pay someone to tow my boat once a year when Chevy Luv truck can do it as long as I dont go over 40 on the highway or have to stop in less than a 1000 feet,,,"

Best of luck, I will be happy to suggest to people without the right tow vehicle that they consider using a service like you are proposing!
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 05:45 AM   #7
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSwimm View Post
Where on this forum could I post this
Please post it in the Marketplace section.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 06:34 AM   #8
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post

The OP clarified his post and you are right. I think of "boat towing" as something when the boat is broken on the water and on the road work as boat transport.

The local marinas and associated companies do a lot of that work. I know Miles Marine picks up, winterizes, stores, and delivers hundreds of local boats every year. They also transport them to and from distant places with almost weekly trips to Florida. One of their trucks took a customer's boat to Utah last month.

HK Powersports picks up and delivers watercraft to and from many peoples homes and takes them on or off lifts at their homes.

There are thousands of boats in the area so there may be some opportunity for the OP to pick up some work.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 11:07 AM   #9
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

OP: Thanks for the clarification. Several marinas as well as self storage places have large off site boat storage barns. At a time when help is scarce and operating an extra truck for a few weeks is expensive, you might find work subbing for them.
Talk to your insurance carrier about adding "additional insureds" to your policy. At $500K you are way underinsured. Ask about $2MM and a comprehensive general liability policy. Do you have a trailer? Many shorefront landowners rely on a marina owned trailer for spring/fall transport. Same applies to winterizing which is part of the fall/spring package at most places. Can you do that?
There's a lot of opportunity in the "extra services", e.g. winterizing, clean/wax, shrink wrap, etc.
Good luck.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 01:16 PM   #10
randalnh

Dave - you can also place an ad in the "Classifieds" section - I do believe that is allowed.
randalnh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to randalnh For This Useful Post:
webmaster (08-20-2022)