Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2022, 04:40 PM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default New Grill...or Griddle?

A topic I've not seen posted before: we would like to replace our ~15-year-old Weber propane grill.

At Heath Hardware today, we were looking at the Weber Spirit II but then saw the Blackstone griddles on the way out, which got me thinking.

We can have only ONE.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Pine Island Guy (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 04:51 PM   #2
winniwannabe

Thumbs up

We bought a Blackstone griddle last year, and have never regretted it.
I'm usually the one doing the outdoor grilling/barbeque, so I recommend it
if u like to grill all sorts of food. I use it mostly for steaks and seafood, but have used it for burgers and dogs too. The cookout flavor is kinda lost,
but whatever you cook will taste great! IMO.
winniwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 04:58 PM   #3
winniwannabe

I neglected to say that breakfast items ( ie. eggs sausage and bacon, as well as toast or bagels are great on the griddle!
winniwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winniwannabe For This Useful Post:
webmaster (08-19-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 05:28 PM   #4
winterh

I have both and find myself using the griddle more than the girl. Perfect for breakfast omelets, home fries, pancakes... Also Shaved steak for steak and cheese subs. Love it. Easier to clean than a grill too.
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:34 PM   #5
Steve C.

I have both. Griddle is great for breakfast, peppers/onions, grilled sandwiches, etc. I can not eat a steak or burger from a griddle. Don't understand the fascination with "smash burgers". I want a nice thick bloody burger.

So, we use both, lots of times at the same time. They do make combo units.
Steve C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2022, 05:41 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Life Is Tough!

I would get the Weber and a cast iron griddle to use on top when you want! Best of both worlds!

Dan
Biggd (08-18-2022), jbolty (08-17-2022), loonguy (08-18-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 05:53 PM   #7
FlyingScot

I'm with Dan. I know Weber used to offer a griddle on their Summit series, and it worked beautifully. If they do not offer one for the Spirit another option is to use a large Lodge cast iron pan on top of the grates--this works really well too.

The only downside to the griddle, whether Blackstone or Weber, is that it's a lot tougher to clean than the grates. On the grates (as you know), you can just heat, scrape, and go. The griddle holds the oil, so it can get gunky. it's tougher to clean without hot water
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (08-17-2022), stingray (08-18-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 06:02 PM   #8
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
I'm with Dan. I know Weber used to offer a griddle on their Summit series, and it worked beautifully. If they do not offer one for the Spirit another option is to use a large Lodge cast iron pan on top of the grates--this works really well too.

The only downside to the griddle, whether Blackstone or Weber, is that it's a lot tougher to clean than the grates. On the grates (as you know), you can just heat, scrape, and go. The griddle holds the oil, so it can get gunky. it's tougher to clean without hot water
I actually have Webers Griddle and a couple Lodge Cast iron pans. Lodge makes fantastic cast iron pans and Weber’s griddle is very good also! Something about cast iron that really brings out the flavor in just about anything you cook in it!

Edited to add: Here you go Think! https://www.amazon.com/Weber-Stephen.../dp/B079XZPG8R

Dan
Old 08-17-2022, 06:31 PM   #9
SAB1

Pretty much not a fan of griddle cooking meat especially when cooking different meats at the same time. Ruins the flavor. I find breakfast easier to just cook in kitchen but each to his own. I’ve owned many Weber grills through the years and I don’t see anywhere near the quality they once had so I personally would go another route there.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
stingray (08-18-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 06:54 PM   #10
fatlazyless

Maybe drive a mid-week Wednesday, off-time, new propane grill travel tour to collect info without making a purchase till sometime later on.

Stops at Aubuchon-Moultonborough, Heath's-Center Harbor, Lowe's-Gilford, Home Depot-Tilton, Walmart in Tilton and then last stop at Baron's Major Brands, Belmont .... collecting a printed price estimate for a different propane grill at each stop. Most all these sellers will price match and beat a printed estimate from the competition.

A few days later ...... do it again ..... another go round using what you saw to get to an actual purchase.

Once you buy it, you OWN it, and there's NO returns with propane grills.
Old 08-17-2022, 07:21 PM   #11
randalnh

I have both and like each for their own reasons. My only complaint is the amount of time and effort to clean the griddle - you must clean every time you use it or it will get grungy real fast. Gas grill is just a couple of passes with he brush and all done.
randalnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:38 PM   #12
jbolty

I have a weber I got about 10 years ago. At the time I bought it at an ace hardware and the quality seemed noticeably better than a similar one from Home depot or walmart or lowes. don't know if' that's still true.

Personally I'm not a fan of the griddle for the reasons mentioned above. I do have a cast aluminum griddle I use on the camp stove for making a crowd breakfast and love that.

One thing I use on the weber a lot is a grill pan with holes in it for doing small things like wings or shrimp.

FWIW I also have a Traeger and a weber kettle and each gets their time to shine.

Any day cooking outside is a good day
Attached Images

jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 05:05 AM   #13
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I actually have Webers Griddle and a couple Lodge Cast iron pans. Lodge makes fantastic cast iron pans and Weber’s griddle is very good also! Something about cast iron that really brings out the flavor in just about anything you cook in it!

Edited to add: Here you go Think! https://www.amazon.com/Weber-Stephen.../dp/B079XZPG8R

Dan
Ok, so that's cool, but (and you knew this wouldn't be simple, right?!):

1. Size: Is that enough space for each when cut in half?

2. Price: That, plus the grill and cover, would be around $950. We were hoping to keep it (much) less if possible. A Blackstone griddle would be ~$400 and a Royal Gourmet combo would about the same (https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ng-legs-gd402#)

3. Quality: Are people on the same page thinking that Weber isn't what it used to be? The Genesis+ models seemed to be solid, but the Spirit, etc. didn't seem as well-made as the one I'm replacing (which would be about the same level).

4. Thoughts on Napoleon? It looks like they've got one that would be $700 WITH cover (Rogue 425), and they have a 15-year warranty (vs. 10 on Weber).

Old 08-18-2022, 06:22 AM   #14
Redbarn

I have not used my grill in probably 7 years after getting a black stone. They are awesome. The ideal setup in mind is a blackstone and a Franklin offset smoker.

My brother in-law has the griddle insert for his grill. It is not even close to the same thing and he is planning to get a Blackstone.

The amount of cooking space on a 36" grill vs 36" griddle for some reason is not the same. You can cook so much more in a griddle surface.

Couple tips for the black stone. Learn how to use a cast iron pan and just apply the same care technique. Everyone is going to tell you to use hi temp oil to season, however they chip. I suggest olive oil even though everyone will say that is wrong. Also only buy a model that has a cover. Whoever's idea it was to sell blackstones with no cover/lid should be fired.
Redbarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:10 AM   #15
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbarn View Post
I have not used my grill in probably 7 years after getting a black stone. They are awesome. The ideal setup in mind is a blackstone and a Franklin offset smoker.

My brother in-law has the griddle insert for his grill. It is not even close to the same thing and he is planning to get a Blackstone.

The amount of cooking space on a 36" grill vs 36" griddle for some reason is not the same. You can cook so much more in a griddle surface.

Couple tips for the black stone. Learn how to use a cast iron pan and just apply the same care technique. Everyone is going to tell you to use hi temp oil to season, however they chip. I suggest olive oil even though everyone will say that is wrong. Also only buy a model that has a cover. Whoever's idea it was to sell blackstones with no cover/lid should be fired.
True about using olive oil just don't use virgin oil...that is for salads
Make sure you use the oil that says "For grilling and sauteing"
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:19 AM   #16
The Real BigGuy

My son-in-law is Australian and all they use over there are “flat tops” or griddles. He likes outdoor cooking so he bought a Weber Spirit and a griddle insert. Unlike older Webers (my lake Weber is 25 years old) whose burners went side to side, the newer model burners go front to back which make them ideal for half & half cooking. If he is doing just grill stuff he can replace the griddle with a grate. For breakfast he has a griddle for eggs and bacon and a grill for sausages. Best of both worlds

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 07:21 AM   #17
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

1. Size: Is that enough space for each when cut in half?

2. Price: That, plus the grill and cover, would be around $950. We were hoping to keep it (much) less if possible. A Blackstone griddle would be ~$400 and a Royal Gourmet combo would about the same (https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...ng-legs-gd402#)

3. Quality: Are people on the same page thinking that Weber isn't what it used to be? The Genesis+ models seemed to be solid, but the Spirit, etc. didn't seem as well-made as the one I'm replacing (which would be about the same level).

4. Thoughts on Napoleon? It looks like they've got one that would be $700 WITH cover (Rogue 425), and they have a 15-year warranty (vs. 10 on Weber).

Think;

#1. I'm not sure what you mean by this but if you are asking is there enough room to use the griddle and the grill at the same time, I am not sure. You would have to check the dimensions of your grill and compare.

#2. Instead of replacing your grill, why not replace parts such as burners, grates, etc, etc. Weber pretty much sells parts for all their grills and you can buy upgraded parts such as stainless steel grates and SS burners. Two years ago I rebuilt a very old Genesis grill that I was originally going to replace. Saved a ton of money just replacing parts that needed to be. Grill was as good as new when complete!

#3. Weber has different model numbers under the same name. Usually the ones you find at the bigger box stores (Lowes, Home depot) are the cheaper models and will not have stainless steel burners and grates, etc, etc. Usually your local hardware store will sell the better ones. Look for ones that have all stainless (grates and burners).

#4. No experience with Napoleon...

Good luck!

Dan
Old 08-18-2022, 07:41 AM   #18
FlyingScot

Quote:
Think;

#1. I'm not sure what you mean by this but if you are asking is there enough room to use the griddle and the grill at the same time, I am not sure. You would have to check the dimensions of your grill and compare.

#2. Instead of replacing your grill, why not replace parts such as burners, grates, etc, etc. Weber pretty much sells parts for all their grills and you can buy upgraded parts such as stainless steel grates and SS burners. Two years ago I rebuilt a very old Genesis grill that I was originally going to replace. Saved a ton of money just replacing parts that needed to be. Grill was as good as new when complete!

#3. Weber has different model numbers under the same name. Usually the ones you find at the bigger box stores (Lowes, Home depot) are the cheaper models and will not have stainless steel burners and grates, etc, etc. Usually your local hardware store will sell the better ones. Look for ones that have all stainless (grates and burners).

Good luck!

Dan
I've also had very good luck replacing Weber parts. Even better--Weber has a super good warranty program, ac couple of times I've gotten parts for free years after purchase. Just phone them (24/7/365?) and they will help solve pretty much any problem

I would not sweat an extra $500 on a Weber--they are a very good value. If you buy one from a local hardware store (not big box, as noted above) it will be great for 15-20 years. Many cheaper grills are junk after just a few years.
Old 08-18-2022, 08:03 AM   #19
swnoel

Just bought the Pit Boss from Walmart last month... it's light years over our Webber and it has a non stick surface too! We went with Pit Boss over Blackstone after much research. You won't be disappointed going to a griddle.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:11 AM   #20
thinkxingu

I replaced the Weber parts—grates, flavor bar thingies, igniter, and burners—only a few years ago, so it works ok other than the crossover tube not always lighting the rear burner. This is more about an upgrade/keeping ahead of failure.

One thing that keeps pulling me back to griddles is the open space—as mentioned above, the surfaces are just so much more spacious.

Updates:

1. Camp Chef's FTG600 is a whole griddle and grill, but it's one or the other.

2. Napoleon makes an insert like the Weber iShoot linked above but looks bigger and flatter. The one I'd be looking at also has a 15-year "bumper-to-bumper" warranty vs. Weber's 10.

3. It appears that it I purchased a second set of flame tamers and grill bars, the Royal Gourmet from TSC I linked to above could be used as a split griddle/grill or whole grill—that might could come in handy.

4. Noted on the big-box stores vs. independent dealers, but given the model numbers and prices are the same, I'm thinking that doesn't apply to grills (other than maybe "Lowe's exclusives," etc.

5. About the money: $500 is not all that much in the general scheme of things, BUT it could also be used for a new rear derailleur and shifter for my Niner, Kel-Tec CP33 or Taurus TX22, or Holosun red dot; money towards my son's Christmas bicycle; travel or play money; etc...!

Old 08-18-2022, 08:22 AM   #21
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

My first restaurant job, I learned to cook on a griddle. Much easier for many things and you can have several things going at once: keep the bacon warm in the corner, hash browns, onions, peppers, eggs, pancakes, French Toast, etc. There's a reason restaurants use griddles. They also have higher sides so home fries, onions, etc don't spill over the edge. The surface only gets grungy when you try to cook on a dry surface. If you mess up, clean off the stuck stuff with your razor blade right away. Find a good diner and watch the short-order cook for awhile--it's a learning experience. Pay attention to the tools s/he uses.
Flame broiled steaks? Use the gas oven broiler or th grill on the side.

Flat griddle cooking for beginners: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEYU7U7Y8J0
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:38 AM   #22
John Mercier

Quote:
I replaced the Weber parts—grates, flavor bar thingies, igniter, and burners—only a few years ago, so it works ok other than the crossover tube not always lighting the rear burner. This is more about an upgrade/keeping ahead of failure.

One thing that keeps pulling me back to griddles is the open space—as mentioned above, the surfaces are just so much more spacious.

Updates:

2. Napoleon makes an insert like the Weber iShoot linked above but looks bigger and flatter. The one I'd be looking at also has a 15-year "bumper-to-bumper" warranty vs. Weber's 10.

3. It appears that it I purchased a second set of flame tamers and grill bars, the Royal Gourmet from TSC I linked to above could be used as a split griddle/grill or whole grill—that might could come in handy.

4. Noted on the big-box stores vs. independent dealers, but given the model numbers and prices are the same, I'm thinking that doesn't apply to grills (other than maybe "Lowe's exclusives," etc.

5. About the money: $500 is not all that much in the general scheme of things, BUT it could also be used for a new rear derailleur and shifter for my Niner, Kel-Tec CP33 or Taurus TX22, or Holosun red dot; money towards my son's Christmas bicycle; travel or play money; etc...!

4. It doesn't Weber uses MAP... they set the advertised price.
It is why many times you will need to enter it into the ''cart'' to see the final price.

Few dealers - including us - will keep the highest end Webers in stock...

But they are being built (at least in the stands) with newer engineering... and you can get upgraded replacement parts for your old unit.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:00 AM   #23
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Weber Silver Genesis A Grill

Quote:
Think;

Good luck!

Dan
I have a Weber Genesis Silver A grill from back about 20 years ago. I have replaced the "flavor bars" 3 or 4 times, and the grills (cast iron) twice. This year the bars needed replacing (they are expendable). I looked at getting a new grill and then getting a few parts. I got new flavor bars, an aluminum grease pan, and the gizmo that catches the grease at the bottom of the pan. Right around $100. Grill body is still solid. Love my grill. I cook on it 3 times a week (or more).

Dave
Old 08-18-2022, 09:20 AM   #24
codeman671

Quote:

Updates:

At the island we have and use the Blackstone 36" pro extensively, as well as have a rather basic gas grill and the Blackstone pizza oven (now obsolete/cannot be purchased any longer).

We use the griddle far more than the grill these days. We mass produce breakfast sandwiches every morning on it. We make great smash burgers and recently started doing our steak tips on it instead of the grill. We have done pizzas, grilled cheese, sausages, grilled veggies, even topneck steamed clams in scampi butter (yum!).

The downside we have with the griddle is keeping mice out of it. The lid doesn't keep them out and every weekend we have to do a thorough cleaning before use. We started using the grydlmat when not around and so far this has been the best solution. They still get in, but can't touch the cooking surface.

if I had to choose grill or griddle I would go grill, but we are always cooking for large crowds. We have used griddle plates on grills before and the heat isn't as even.

Why are you restricted to only 1? How about a Blackstone and a Weber Q tabletop grill?

We do need to work on your choices in firearms....
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 09:25 AM   #25
SAB1

I've got that Silver A also bought in 2002 and going strong! The two Spirts we have were both junk. Uneven heating, crossover ignition is crap doors rotted off etc.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (08-18-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 09:46 AM   #26
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
At the island we have and use the Blackstone 36" pro extensively, as well as have a rather basic gas grill and the Blackstone pizza oven (now obsolete/cannot be purchased any longer).

We use the griddle far more than the grill these days. We mass produce breakfast sandwiches every morning on it. We make great smash burgers and recently started doing our steak tips on it instead of the grill. We have done pizzas, grilled cheese, sausages, grilled veggies, even topneck steamed clams in scampi butter (yum!).

The downside we have with the griddle is keeping mice out of it. The lid doesn't keep them out and every weekend we have to do a thorough cleaning before use. We started using the grydlmat when not around and so far this has been the best solution. They still get in, but can't touch the cooking surface.

if I had to choose grill or griddle I would go grill, but we are always cooking for large crowds. We have used griddle plates on grills before and the heat isn't as even.

Why are you restricted to only 1? How about a Blackstone and a Weber Q tabletop grill?

We do need to work on your choices in firearms....
I've not been able to hold a CP33 yet as the shops in my town try to carry MA-compliant pistols, but it looks like it would be a nice feel for a plinker.

I also have an H&K VP9 w/red dot, but go to my TX22 (non-optics) just as much—that Taurus is a BARGAIN.

On grills: we can only have one because of where it goes/we cook. It fits in a little alcove on our deck, and having a second unit would interfere with a high-top table, seating, etc.

UPDATE: My dear wife is heavily leaning us towards a whole griddle—she's liking the openness and flexibility. Currently researching sizing/cost of Camp Chef 600, Pit Boss 3/4 burner, and Blackstone 28"/36".

Old 08-18-2022, 09:50 AM   #27
codeman671

Quote:
I've not been able to hold a CP33 yet as the shops in my town try to carry MA-compliant pistols, but it looks like it would be a nice feel for a plinker.

I also have an H&K VP9 w/red dot, but go to my TX22 (non-optics) just as much—that Taurus is a BARGAIN.

On grills: we can only have one because of where it goes/we cook. It fits in a little alcove on our deck, and having a second unit would interfere with a high-top table, seating, etc.

UPDATE: My dear wife is heavily leaning us towards a whole griddle—she's liking the openness and flexibility. Currently researching sizing/cost of Camp Chef 600, Pit Boss 3/4 burner, and Blackstone 28"/36".

This is the newer version of ours:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Blackston...inet/872562645
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:33 AM   #28
I.C.Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Another grill I would recommend is Saber. Different than most in that it gets very hot but never flares up. Best suited for burgers and steaks. Some reviews say it is not as good on vegetables, but I haven’t had any issues.

https://www.sabergrills.com/
I.C.Isles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 10:41 AM   #29
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:

I have an earlier model Napoleon, which I bought 19 years ago. Still solid! The igniters still work since new. It has a cast iron grill and an optional griddle. Probably one of the first 3 burner grills at the time. All other were 2 burners. I would buy another one if need be. One big plus is the shape of the hood which allows the heated air to flow evenly under the hood and out the back so it can act like a smoker. It had a smoker box that had to be replaced a couple of times as I use it often.

One thing I notice that they no longer have is the lava rocks accessory which I loved. Cast iron grate and lava rocks bed is a great combination! Especially when you use the smoker box!

The griddle I use occasionally when the kids/grandkids want pancakes. I also use it as an excellent heat plate for steaming clams and lobsters!

Napoleon may be pricey but they last longer than Webers!

https://bassemiers.com/blog/napoleon...tidier%20look.
Old 08-18-2022, 12:38 PM   #30
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
Just bought the Pit Boss from Walmart last month... it's light years over our Webber and it has a non stick surface too! We went with Pit Boss over Blackstone after much research. You won't be disappointed going to a griddle.
Which Pit Boss?

Old 08-18-2022, 12:43 PM   #31
Grant

Default Wood-Fired Awesomeness

Once you go Traeger, you'll never look back.

Just saying.
Old 08-18-2022, 01:40 PM   #32
thinkxingu

Going out to look at three Blackstones and a couple Napoleons. Status update to come later.

In the meantime, anyone think they'd be interested in our old Weber? Cheap $!

Old 08-18-2022, 01:55 PM   #33
root1

I think the key to Weber brand grills is that you can always obtain OEM parts for repair.
Long ago, I purchased a Ducane grill which comes with a lifetime warranty (and you paid dearly for that warranty). Of course, they went out of business before I needed my first repair part. Lesson learned.
root1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 02:41 PM   #34
swnoel

Quote:
Which Pit Boss?
The Sierra 3 burner...
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 03:56 PM   #35
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The griddle I use occasionally when the kids/grandkids want pancakes. I also use it as an excellent heat plate for steaming clams and lobsters!
Littlenecks on the grill for 5 minutes or so till they pop--primo!
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-19-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 05:00 PM   #36
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Once you go Traeger, you'll never look back.

Just saying.
I use my traeger a lot but it's just not suited to high heat applications.

I want the grill cranked up to about 800 to sear a steak but there is nothing like smoking a turkey or ribs or brisket or jalapeno poppers.

smoked some chicken quarters last weekend then put them over the charcoal for 5 minutes or so; turned out perfect.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 06:03 PM   #37
thinkxingu

Ok, so we had settled on a Blackstone at Heath's Ace but figured we'd check out the Napoleons at Lowe's just to make sure.

They didn't have any, but they did have a clearance Blackstone 28" with cooking tools AND cover for $166—cha-ching!

The people who assemble them had stripped a screw for one of the end tables, so I had to borrow their tools to drill it out, but it's in the back now as we eat some delicious Lee Wah Chinese food.

It's heavier duty than I would've guessed, but it's certainly not a lifetime grill like the Webers/Napoleons. I figure it'll give us a few years to decide if we like the griddle, though, and who knows?

Now I've got an extra $280 for that derailleur/shifter combo!

Stevebvt (11-19-2022)
Old 08-18-2022, 06:13 PM   #38
FlyingScot

Quote:
Ok, so we had settled on a Blackstone at Heath's Ace but figured we'd check out the Napoleons at Lowe's just to make sure.

They didn't have any, but they did have a clearance Blackstone 28" with cooking tools AND cover for $166—cha-ching!

The people who assemble them had stripped a screw for one of the end tables, so I had to borrow their tools to drill it out, but it's in the back now as we eat some delicious Lee Wah Chinese food.

It's heavier duty than I would've guessed, but it's certainly not a lifetime grill like the Webers/Napoleons. I figure it'll give us a few years to decide if we like the griddle, though, and who knows?

Now I've got an extra $280 for that derailleur/shifter combo!

Congrats! At $166, a no brainer. But I notice you opted for the derailleur while leaving your son's Christmas joy in peril...
Old 08-18-2022, 07:12 PM   #39
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Congrats! At $166, a no brainer. But I notice you opted for the derailleur while leaving your son's Christmas joy in peril...
I need more research for his bike! We've never bought him a new one, but given he'll be 13 we'll be able to get a "forever" bike.

Old 08-19-2022, 07:02 AM   #40
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Best grill ever is my 30 year old Brinkman propane grill/smoker. Replaced the burners at least 3 times. It has lava rock which catch drippings and add smoke and flavor to anything that is grilled. I don't understand what "Flavor" bars are good for.....it's like grilling over a tin can and just seems like nothing more than a marketing tool to me. The attached smoker works great but also can be turned down to 120/140 degrees and used as a holding oven when cooking for larger groups. https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=...=att&disp=safe
Attached Images

SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-19-2022), magicrobotmonkey (08-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 01:15 PM   #41
thinkxingu

Thought I'd circle back with the outcome. We ended up grabbing a Blackstone 28" at Lowe's in Gilford...for $138 closeout.

It's awesome...but, after preparing to give away the old Weber, we decided to keep both.

The griddle is great, but it definitely requires more maintenance and is difficult/risky in the rain.

So we've got the best of both worlds!

stevenhk (11-20-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 01:44 PM   #42
WinnisquamZ

Default New Grill...or Griddle?

Quote:
Thought I'd circle back with the outcome. We ended up grabbing a Blackstone 28" at Lowe's in Gilford...for $138 closeout.

It's awesome...but, after preparing to give away the old Weber, we decided to keep both.

The griddle is great, but it definitely requires more maintenance and is difficult/risky in the rain.

So we've got the best of both worlds!

My son in law did the same. Got a black stone and kept the grill. Toss in the smoker and pizza oven. The kid has little room on his deck

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 08:11 PM   #43
gwhite13

just damn jealous of that Brinkman
gwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 09:56 AM   #44
mhtranger

Something else to look into is the Masterbuilt gravity 800. Best of both worlds with a grill/smoker and a griddle.
mhtranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 01:36 PM   #45
Descant

Default Details?

Quote:

Details, please. I see 22" and 30" at Lowe's online. 28" I think at Ace or Walmart. Prices are all over the place.
Did you get the table top, or is this on a stand with wheels? Propane or electric?

What's the problem in the rain that's different from any other grill? Just because you cook with the lid up?

When I was a short order cook, keeping the griddle clean was not a problem, but we had special tools. I used pumice, salt and a razor blade, but that was a much heavier piece of metal than the home models and took longer to reach the right temperature when starting out. Long long time ago. TIA.
Old 11-20-2022, 01:59 PM   #46
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Details, please. I see 22" and 30" at Lowe's online. 28" I think at Ace or Walmart. Prices are all over the place.
Did you get the table top, or is this on a stand with wheels? Propane or electric?

What's the problem in the rain that's different from any other grill? Just because you cook with the lid up?

When I was a short order cook, keeping the griddle clean was not a problem, but we had special tools. I used pumice, salt and a razor blade, but that was a much heavier piece of metal than the home models and took longer to reach the right temperature when starting out. Long long time ago. TIA.
This one: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blackstone-...ill/5005548513

The lids are not meant to cook with down, but rather for storage. So, a decent rain will mess up what's on the griddle and increase the chances of rust. It's just simpler to use the grill.

Cleaning isn't difficult, but it's more involved than simply brushing the grills down.

Descant (11-21-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 06:55 PM   #47
chachee52

I bought the 36" BlackStone 4 burner griddle with the grill grate attachment as well a few years back. I use it for when I'm cooking for large crowds (50+ people) which I used to do a couple times a year for charity events at the Dragway or my wife's school. At the Dragway it was nice, would get there early and set up and put the griddle on for the few people helping to run the event with pancakes and bacon, and then take the griddle off and did the hamburgers and hot dogs for lunch for everyone that was there.
I don't use it much now that we haven't had any of those events for a few years, but I lend it out to my neighbor who does Softball for the town and he does burgers for them a couple times a year.
Easy to transport because it folds right up, a little difficult to clean after, but it was worth it. I used to grab a few older grills from people and throw it in my trailer, now just fold it up, in the back of the SUV.
chachee52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 09:54 PM   #48
winnienox

Lookie what I found…

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71szq1VgIuL.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
winnienox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 10:17 PM   #49
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnienox View Post
There are a few different versions of that and most get mediocre reviews. I chose against a combo for three reasons: 1. Rain (see above), 2. Size—neither are large enough for family cooking, 3. Cleaning complexity—there are more nooks and crannies.

Old 11-22-2022, 10:05 AM   #50
DoTheMath

Default Both -

I've always been a "grill with a side burner" fan, and then I decided to add a Blackstone 28" griddle to the mix this year. Grill is great for the usual, burgers, dogs, meats... Griddle is great for veggies and all-things breakfast. You can cook a pound of bacon in about 5 min. on it. (I used to do bacon in a skillet on the side burner, took forever). I did try turkey burgers on the griddle as well, came out great, and no sticking. The griddle is a bit more work from a cleaning POV, but having the foil pan in the back for the grease is sweet. Drain, let it firm up and toss out! I couldn't go to just the griddle, but it's a perfect side-kick to the main (gas) grill.
DoTheMath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 10:28 AM   #51
Shreddy

I have both (actually 2 Webers) and would highly recommend both. Blackstone is unreal (breakfast, grilled cheeses, smash burgers, stir fry, tacos, and more) but if I'm cooking a steak it's on the grill. Sometimes I don't want a smash burger either.

With that said, I have a spare Weber Spirit 3 burner in great condition that I no longer need even though I still use it regularly (since I also have a Weber Genesis). If it helps you get both let me know as I'd be happy to part with my Spirit (or even my Genesis).
Old 11-29-2022, 10:45 AM   #52
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
I have both (actually 2 Webers) and would highly recommend both. Blackstone is unreal (breakfast, grilled cheeses, smash burgers, stir fry, tacos, and more) but if I'm cooking a steak it's on the grill. Sometimes I don't want a smash burger either.

With that said, I have a spare Weber Spirit 3 burner in great condition that I no longer need even though I still use it regularly (since I also have a Weber Genesis). If it helps you get both let me know as I'd be happy to part with my Spirit (or even my Genesis).
What a nice offer. I'm using a really old—guessing 20 years—Weber Genesis Silver A that I've rebuilt twice but is on its last legs, so I'm open to something new(ish). Message me, if it's something you'd wanna move on.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:38 PM   #53
Descant

Default recycle

You can remove the burners, etc. and line the box with Styrofoam. Fill it with ice and drinks. It rolls around, and you won't fall bending over to get a refill.
Old 11-30-2022, 07:48 AM   #54
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
You can remove the burners, etc. and line the box with Styrofoam. Fill it with ice and drinks. It rolls around, and you won't fall bending over to get a refill.
I love this! For the less ambitious, you could even skip the styrofoam and just plug or tape any holes--that much ice will keep for hours
Old 11-30-2022, 04:03 PM   #55
Descant

Patent pending. There is a two drink license fee.