Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-20-2022, 05:31 PM   #1
DougNH

Default Two old Maps

I acquired these maps a few months ago and had them mounted. One is a 1951 Winn Navigation Chart and the other is a 1902 White Mountain Topo Map including Winn. Had to reduce the size to get them to load so they will not be clear if you zoom in on them.
Attached Images

DougNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DougNH For This Useful Post:
Slickcraft (02-20-2022), trfour (02-20-2022), upthesaukee (02-20-2022)
Old 02-20-2022, 06:20 PM   #2
fatlazyless

On the 1951-map is interesting to see a measured mile on the north side of Rattlesnake.

Anyone know were the boundary markers on the land or floating spars in the water?
Old 02-20-2022, 09:47 PM   #3
Lake Fan

They were markers on land with "Measured Mile" written on them. I guess back when most boats didn't have speedometers? I remember seeing them and thinking it was pretty cool. If you were boating by and happened to have a stopwatch you could calculate how fast you were going.

Were they some kind of official markers or like the Barber's Pole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
On the 1951-map is interesting to see a measured mile on the north side of Rattlesnake.

Anyone know were the boundary markers on the land or floating spars in the water?
Lake Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 10:51 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Charts and rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Fan View Post
They were markers on land with "Measured Mile" written on them. I guess back when most boats didn't have speedometers? I remember seeing them and thinking it was pretty cool. If you were boating by and happened to have a stopwatch you could calculate how fast you were going.

Were they some kind of official markers or like the Barber's Pole?
I recall a sign at one end and red paint on a Birch tree at the north end of the measured mile.
There were similar signs at each end of the Weirs Channel that your transit time should not be less than three (?) minutes from one sign to the next. The northern sign was just before the bridge, so many operated on the assumption that the NWZ started at the bridge, not at the outermost buoy (piling at that time)

The 1951 chart (I use a 1962 version) was published by the Public Utilities Commission a predecessor to Marine Patrol.
For the most part, the rocks haven't changed, so the "old" chart is valid, except where new buoys have been added.
For me, the Bizer chart is cluttered with extra information that makes it difficult to read while underway. Erratic type fonts add to that confusion, so my second choice is the green (Dunphy?) chart. Nevertheless, I carry a Bizer chart on board too. Someday, I'll probably set up a GPS, but not needed yet. The rocks haven't moved since I started navigating as a kid some decades ago.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 05:53 AM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Green chart = Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I recall a sign at one end and red paint on a Birch tree at the north end of the measured mile.
There were similar signs at each end of the Weirs Channel that your transit time should not be less than three (?) minutes from one sign to the next. The northern sign was just before the bridge, so many operated on the assumption that the NWZ started at the bridge, not at the outermost buoy (piling at that time)

The 1951 chart (I use a 1962 version) was published by the Public Utilities Commission a predecessor to Marine Patrol.
For the most part, the rocks haven't changed, so the "old" chart is valid, except where new buoys have been added.
For me, the Bizer chart is cluttered with extra information that makes it difficult to read while underway. Erratic type fonts add to that confusion, so my second choice is the green (Dunphy?) chart. Nevertheless, I carry a Bizer chart on board too. Someday, I'll probably set up a GPS, but not needed yet. The rocks haven't moved since I started navigating as a kid some decades ago.
The Green Chart was made by Duncan. Not sure they are still making the charts. They got extremely cluttered by numbering the spar buoys.

Dave
Old 02-21-2022, 08:41 AM   #6
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Map showing measured mile off Rattlesnake - 1962 Fishing map

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 08:45 AM   #7
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 09:12 AM   #8
Y2K

Default Maps for office wall

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know of a map that shows Wini that includes the various names people use for areas of the lake (The Witches, The Broads, etc.)? I want to hang a Wini map on my office wall, but the Bizer's map is a bit to large (I know I can get a PDF and print myself) and a bit more detailed then I was looking for since I'm not piloting my office on the lake (stretch goal though).

*Edit: McDude's map looks like it would be perfect! Where can I get one?

Thanks.
Y2K is offline   Reply With Quote