Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
Givemethewholeclam

Default Snowmobiling on residential road?

I have only been here since August and my neighborhood is mostly Summer homes but there are a few of us that live here full time. Last night there were snowmobiles going up and down my road for hours.Is this legal? Thanks in advance.
Givemethewholeclam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Givemethewholeclam For This Useful Post:
stingray (01-01-2020)
Old 12-31-2019, 11:57 AM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Legal only if the Selectmen have voted to allow snowmobile use on that road:

From RSA 215-C:8

Quote:
II. No person shall operate a snowmobile upon any portion of the right of way of any public way including the traveled portion of a maintained public way except as provided in this chapter.

X. Pursuant to RSA 215-C:31, city or town councils and boards of selectmen may authorize the use of sidewalks and class IV, class V, or class VI highways and bridges, or portions thereof, for use by snowmobiles. The operation of snowmobiles may also be allowed on sidewalks adjacent to class I, II, III, or III-a highways pursuant to RSA 236:56, II(e). Operators of snowmobiles using said roads, or portions thereof, shall keep to the extreme right and shall yield to all conventional motor vehicle traffic.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Descant (12-31-2019), Givemethewholeclam (12-31-2019)
Old 12-31-2019, 12:43 PM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default What kind of road?

Thanks, Slickcraft. It looks like Givemethewholeclam need to find out who owns or maintains the road, and if the BOS has opened it up for snowmobiles. I'll be interested to find out the answers.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Givemethewholeclam (12-31-2019)
Old 12-31-2019, 12:50 PM   #4
longislander

The Caveat is in "public way".

The Select Boards do not not have jurisdiction on "state" roads, as opposed to "town" roads.

Neither, have jurisdiction on private roads.

Judging from the comment about neighborhood and summer homes, if the road is part of an Association (e.g., an HOA) the elected Directors of that Association have the jurisdiction to make rules for the road, presuming the owners have not voted otherwise.

Also,

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...VIII-215-C.htm
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to longislander For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
Givemethewholeclam

Default Thank you

I phoned the Wolfeboro police (just to ask if this was permitted) who told me that I don't live in Wolfeboro. Funny, my mailing address is Wolfeboro and my Deed, Title Insurance all say Wolfeboro.
I hope I don't have an emergency because they pretty much told me they won't come to my address.
I found my HOA's website and it says that snowmobiles must yield to pedestrians and not go over 35mph or go past 11:00 PM. They were going way over 35 and it was 12:30 at night. lol Oh well.

Thank you for the replies.
Givemethewholeclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2019, 03:59 PM   #6
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givemethewholeclam View Post
I phoned the Wolfeboro police (just to ask if this was permitted) who told me that I don't live in Wolfeboro. Funny, my mailing address is Wolfeboro and my Deed, Title Insurance all say Wolfeboro.
I hope I don't have an emergency because they pretty much told me they won't come to my address.
I found my HOA's website and it says that snowmobiles must yield to pedestrians and not go over 35mph or go past 11:00 PM. They were going way over 35 and it was 12:30 at night. lol Oh well.

Call your local Fish and Game office and let them know. They have jurisdiction over snowmobiles.
One thing for sure, many riders abuse their privilege by not obeying laws.
This is true in all “off road” vehicle situations. If there is no one to police them, they do as they please...same as summer boaters.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 04:38 PM   #7
Descant

Default Is it true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Send me your property tax monies and I'll take care of it.
Is it true? I hear Top-Water has "people". Can fix your problem of after midnight snowmobiling.
Old 12-31-2019, 05:05 PM   #8
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Givemethewholeclam View Post
Who do you pay your real estate taxes to?

Years ago I lived in a town with a good name and the town next to it, not so much. A 300 unit condo complex was built in the next town but the end of their driveway/private entrance was in the town I lived in. Everyone's address was 1100 Salem St, Unit XX, and then my town. Their driver's licenses even used that address so it said the wrong town, the one that they didn't really live in. When they called the police they were told they called the wrong police department. Some of the residents even tried to register their children in school in the wrong town and waved their driver's license around, claiming to be residents.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2020, 02:24 PM   #9
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Who do you pay your real estate taxes to?

Years ago I lived in a town with a good name and the town next to it, not so much. A 300 unit condo complex was built in the next town but the end of their driveway/private entrance was in the town I lived in. Everyone's address was 1100 Salem St, Unit XX, and then my town. Their driver's licenses even used that address so it said the wrong town, the one that they didn't really live in. When they called the police they were told they called the wrong police department. Some of the residents even tried to register their children in school in the wrong town and waved their driver's license around, claiming to be residents.
Thus the saying, "You can't get thea from hea"
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Givemethewholeclam (01-01-2020)