Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2014, 04:18 AM   #1
Jetman

Default Hit and Run at Wolfeboro Town Dock

Our boat was hit while tied up at the Wolfeboro Town Dock on Sunday June 29th. It is a blue Cobalt and the damage was on the aft passenger side. There was an eye witness but was unable to read the other boat registration as they took off. Did anyone else see this or better yet snap a photo. Would appreciate any help out there. Thanks in advance.
Jetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:40 AM   #2
fatlazyless

....oopsie-doopsie.....so sorry about that ..... nothing personal ...... that was me in my red 17' Grumman aluminum rowing canoe .....u-know a canoe with two rows.....eh make that two oars to move it along.....the only problem is that when rowing I face backwards to the stern.....while the pointy aluminum bow that's up front of the canoe moves forward....and it is pretty easy to row off course just a wee bit ....as u can probably imagine ...... no one seemed to notice at the scene at the time .....so I naturally left the scene ..... better than conversing with a a second party on the receiving end ......so what the heck .....for a super-duper fiberglass fix suggest you go to Unique Fiberglass or something, ......Unique Boat Repair .....across and beyond from the Aubuchon Hdwe in Moultonborough which does supposedly excellent fiberglass work ...... lots-o-luck buddy!

Got to ask.....how much is your deductible amount?

....what....W-o-l-f-e-b-o-r-o ......oh forget this whole post because I was rowing Meredith Bay.....which is like a foreign country away from Wolfeboro ....... say-hey.... maybe it was what's-his-name, the blue-blood with the big blue Sea Ray from Wolfeboro? See any blue marks on your damage?
RamJet (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 06:03 AM   #3
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
....oopsie-doopsie.....so sorry about that ..... nothing personal ...... that was me in my red 17' Grumman aluminum rowing canoe .....u-know a canoe with two rows.....eh make that two oars to move it along.....the only problem is that when rowing I face backwards to the stern.....while the pointy aluminum bow that's up front of the canoe moves forward....and it is pretty easy to row off course just a wee bit ....as u can probably imagine ...... no one seemed to notice at the scene at the time .....so I naturally left the scene ..... better than conversing with a a second party on the receiving end ......so what the heck .....for a super-duper fiberglass fix suggest you go to Unique Fiberglass or something, ......Unique Boat Repair .....across and beyond from the Aubuchon Hdwe in Moultonborough which does supposedly excellent fiberglass work ...... lots-o-luck buddy!

Once again FLL, a vain attempt at humor falls flat.....I don't find one thing amusing or funny about the fact that someone damaged the OP's boat and left without owning up to it.

BT
bigdog (07-04-2014), BroadHopper (07-02-2014), Broken Glass (07-02-2014), chasedawg (07-02-2014), diz (07-02-2014), HomeWood (07-02-2014), ishoot308 (07-02-2014), OCDACTIVE (07-02-2014), PaugusBayFireFighter (07-02-2014), Phantom (07-02-2014), Reilly (07-03-2014), Sue Doe-Nym (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 06:19 AM   #4
cmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

....what....W-o-l-f-e-b-o-r-o ......oh forget this whole post because I was rowing Meredith Bay.....which is like a foreign country away from Wolfeboro ....... say-hey.... maybe it was what's-his-name, the blue-blood with the big blue Sea Ray from Wolfeboro? See any blue marks on your damage?
Seriously? WTF? I suppose if your property was damaged you'd be OK with stupid jokes about it???

To the OP,
The sad truth is there's a lot of people out there that just don't care unless they're directly affected. Are there any cameras pointed at the dock that may have captured the event?
cmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:28 AM   #5
rsmlp

got to agree with stupidity of FLL reply. of course, his post name speaks volumes in that regard.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2014, 06:43 AM   #6
Webbsatwinni

First, FFL, really?

To the post, we see it all the time. We were at the weirs two weeks ago and saw two boats hit others (in both cases the driver left the helm to grab the dock, one even jumped to the dock before realizing he didn't have a line), we took pics of both and shared them with the impacted boat owners. The lack of docking ability is unreal and that is made worse by the lake of care if a boat is hit.

Everyone watches the displays of bad boat handling and its so bad, it has almost become dockside entertainment. If you see it, get a pic and give it to the boat owner.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:47 AM   #7
cmack

I'll keep an eye for the boat. Just a thought, does anyone rent such a boat? It would be real easy to confirm the damage and the person that rented it.
cmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:53 AM   #8
dickiej

We have raucous discussions down here on the coast about licensing boaters like automobile drivers. You need a license to cut hair, wash dogs, and do carpentry, but any fool can buy a 32' pursuit with twin 454's and head on out!
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:07 AM   #9
rsmlp

fact is, even with a NH boating license, it is no metric for boating skills. when it comes to docking in a tight crowded area, above all GO SLOW. easier to make small corrections. boats carry so much inertia that even a slight bump usually results in damage.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:36 AM   #10
dickiej

You are right......piloting a boat is NOT like driving a car! It's always been my experience, and I've been boating for almost 50 years, that piloting a boat is difficult to downright dangerous, at times. Docking is probably the most difficult aspect of boating, especially on the Merrimack river, where there is 6 knots of moving water with an offshore wind and an outgoing tide. Sometimes, we just don't even try to dock and wait for improved conditions.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #11
cillovely

Not to give FLL any credit, but his "story" reminds me of what happened to my hubby this weekend. He was on the Charles River on his 17' bass tracker, tying a lure on to his line when all of a sudden boom, some lady on a row boat, rowing backwards, slammed into him. He started to laugh becuase it startled him and everyone was ok, but she instead of laughing started to yell at him. Like it was his fault for sitting there trying to fish. She later came back and apologized.

In any case, that plain sucks.

Docking is a tricky thing. I may have damaged a prop here or there driving around hitting shallow wataer, but docking seems to be one thing I am fairly good at. I would never try docking at some of the public docks when crowded though.

To get your NH licence you take a written test...it's not like you have any driving time like a car, and that is where it needs improvement.
cillovely is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cillovely For This Useful Post:
RamJet (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #12
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetman View Post
Our boat was hit while tied up at the Wolfeboro Town Dock on Sunday June 29th. It is a blue Cobalt and the damage was on the aft passenger side. There was an eye witness but was unable to read the other boat registration as they took off. Did anyone else see this or better yet snap a photo. Would appreciate any help out there. Thanks in advance.
Did they get a description of the other boat?

While I wasn't in Wolfeboro I witnessed another incident in Meredith. A girl on a jetski ran smack into the front of another boat and got pinned between the bow and dock. The owner was there and said it was fine but she seemed a little shaken up.

Did you report it to Wolfeboro police, perhaps someone else called it in?
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:47 AM   #13
salty dog

Default Appaling

Just appalling comments. I'm a senior member but I don't post too often, and try to make positive comments or in any way add to a thread. I seldom if ever make a negative post/comment but I understand that's just me. This, on the other hand is one of the most insensitive responses I have seen on the forum.
This was in no way humorous; a totally ignorant attempt at sarcasm. I will not rant on. If you were never told earlier in life, I will tell you now. If you don't have something helpful to say or even a comment to solace, you ought to zip it.
Blue Thunder (07-02-2014), chipj29 (07-02-2014), Descant (07-02-2014), DRH (07-08-2014), Kamper (07-07-2014), Merrymeeting (07-02-2014), OCDACTIVE (07-02-2014), RANGER CANOE CO (07-21-2014), winnasake (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

First FLL, out of line Man, most times I find your humor, but this time, it was poorly timed.

Second, on busy weekend the Town docks are prime for docking accidents, to many people in a rush... I personally stay away from the town docks on the weekend.

Third, people have no morals, they know if they cause damage to someone else property they should pay to fix it.... and if no one appears to be watching, well then with the lack of moral compass, people just take off... Happens in parking lots with cars all the time. Why should boats at a public docking facility be any different. In short why is everyone surprised, I am not.

Last Jetman, what type of damage are we talking about here? Was the gel coat scuffed? Was it bad enough that a fiberglass repair is going to be needed? Was there a physical hole in your boat?

I am not accusing you of over reacting here, but before I get pissed off and go on a rant about the inconsiderate knuckle head capt. Boneheads out there, I want more information. Because I have seen issues at the town docks, where really no damage is done, but someone is upset simply because there boat was touched with a fending pole, or bumper, and the dirt on their boat was smeared...

last the boating safety certificate, is just that a certificate of completion and understanding... it does not mean someone knows how to fully control a boat....

Finally if your at a public dock, and you see someone boat get hit, we should all do our best to get identifying information, and give it to the cops, or the damaged boat owner.... I think to often people just don't want to get involved.
Old 07-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #15
Closetzguy

Default public docking

As a very new "certified" boater, let me tell you, it is nerve-racking pulling in to a public dock (like Wolfboro in my case). The last thing I want to do is damage someones property! In most cases, I would think new boaters are really doing our best…and if we drift against somebody with a fender, please be patient and help us out with some encouraging words.

Remember, we are all there just trying to enjoy the day and some lake life!

Question….how the heck do I keep track of who is next when a few boats are waiting for a slip? Can we install a huge "deli counter ticket dispenser" ?
Closetzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Closetzguy For This Useful Post:
diprna (07-06-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 02:42 PM   #16
RamJet

Default Describe the damage

Can you describe the damage? Was their paint or other evidence left behind?
Old 07-02-2014, 02:45 PM   #17
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closetzguy View Post
Question….how the heck do I keep track of who is next when a few boats are waiting for a slip? Can we install a huge "deli counter ticket dispenser" ?

Communication in this case is key. For instance. This weekend in Meredith I came up on what appeared to be 4 boats waiting to dock. I spoke up and asked what their intentions were - one was actually dropping people off and from there I was able to determine who was up next.

About 10 minutes later another group of people came by and started in towards a spot someone was exiting from. I politely spoke up and informed them that there was a line. They replied that they didn't know and pulled back.

Not all situations will be the same and some people will get impatient....in those cases there's not much you can do.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:46 PM   #18
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Many comments above relate to docking. All I can say is that when I started boating too many years ago to think about, I started mid week and docked and docked and docked... practice as much as possible when it is not too busy. Never hesitate to ask for help!

Best of luck catching the person who hit your boat, it would irritate me as well.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (07-08-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 05:58 PM   #19
wynndog

Default Safety course

As someone that just took the class , I was very suprised I wasn't even IN A BOAT! Don't you think a little docking skill would be taught?
wynndog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wynndog For This Useful Post:
Webbsatwinni (07-19-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 06:21 PM   #20
Rusty

If you aren't an honest person, there isn't any class that you can take that will make you any different.
I think that is what this thread is all about.
Chaselady (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #21
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynndog View Post
As someone that just took the class , I was very suprised I wasn't even IN A BOAT! Don't you think a little docking skill would be taught?
Yes and no.
You could say that the purpose of the class is to teach you the regulations and the "rules of the road". The logical conclusion would be to understand that knowing the basics doesn't mean you're ready to just dive directly into boating on a high traffic weekend. You should spent some time on a quiet day getting familiar with handling your boat in different conditions and scenarios. Basically build up, just the same way you (hopefully) didn't get your drivers license and then attempt to drive cross-country in a snow storm pulling a trailer.

Of course it seems that people (not necessarily referring to you) think that a plastic card earned after a few hours of instruction and not flunking a simple multiple-choice test makes them ready for heavy action.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:11 PM   #22
Rangervx

#2...are you high??? when my daughter was 2...she made more sense...
Rangervx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 10:05 PM   #23
ursa minor

To the OP, so sorry that a nice day trip ended up this way. Sadly, we've had the same thing happen in Wolfeboro. I'm not sure why someone would think it's OK to hit a boat and leave, if they did the same thing in a car they would probably think twice and at least leave a note. I've learned to go way in where the less experienced are unlikely to try to tie up. Can't even tell you how many times we've watched people in very expensive boats playing "bumper cars" while attempting to dock, you would think if they can afford an expensive boat they would get some instructions on how to handle it as well.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:07 PM   #24
4 for Boating

Default Tight Spots

Sorry to hear about your hit and run > the offender should have left some contact into.

To digress:
Wolfboro, given the spacing, is sometimes a tough place docking even for the experienced boater I think. Go all the way in and you’re safe from most bumping but have to back all the way out and if the wind is kicking, it’s tricky. Grab a spot on the end of the dock and it’s easy in and out but it’s right where all boats coming and going need to pass by.

We have a relatively smaller boat so we don’t have too much difficulty but we have visited a few times where two larger/wider boats occupied the outer slips across from each other and it almost looked impossible to squeeze past to get to the slips closer in.

Sans the crowd, hard to beat the Meredith docks, they are so wide in-between that you can spin the whole boat around 360 degrees if need be.
4 for Boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:42 AM   #25
gwhite13

Let's remember, the boating license is much more about money than safety!
gwhite13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #26
diprna

Default Sorry Jetman

Also wondering the extent of your damage and hoping it's not expensive fix. Following up on above comments re etiquette (more so LACK OF!), we arrived at Wolfeboro docks this afternoon, only 2 or 3 boats were ahead of us waiting to dock. They all found a spot to dock after a bit so we mistakenly believed we would be next. WRONG!! No courtesy, attempts at communication, waving-it was a free for all. Lots of boaters arriving long after we did took whatever slip they were near - no regard for those patiently waiting. Very sad to witness such discourtesy and most blatant we've experienced in our 15 years boating on Winni.
diprna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:39 AM   #27
MJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diprna View Post
Also wondering the extent of your damage and hoping it's not expensive fix. Following up on above comments re etiquette (more so LACK OF!), we arrived at Wolfeboro docks this afternoon, only 2 or 3 boats were ahead of us waiting to dock. They all found a spot to dock after a bit so we mistakenly believed we would be next. WRONG!! No courtesy, attempts at communication, waving-it was a free for all. Lots of boaters arriving long after we did took whatever slip they were near - no regard for those patiently waiting. Very sad to witness such discourtesy and most blatant we've experienced in our 15 years boating on Winni.
Did you speak to them? In my 25+ years on Winni / Wolfeboro, I've always waited my turn, and approached those who try to jump the line. I've found:
a} Some were just making an honest mistake, and when I said I was ahead of them, they apologized and waited, no problem.
-or-
b} Some were pretending not to know the deal...they try to slide in, but when approached they act surprised and wait.

I never once had anyone continue with jumping the line.
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:23 PM   #28
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJM View Post

I never once had anyone continue with jumping the line.

You live a "charmed" life my friend !!

BroadHopper (07-08-2014), diprna (07-10-2014)
Old 07-08-2014, 01:22 PM   #29
Happy Gourmand

"I never once had anyone continue with jumping the line."

It's the 50 cal. mounted on his bow.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
diprna (07-10-2014)
Old 07-09-2014, 08:49 AM   #30
Rich

There's a big old steel hull boat sitting in front of MYC just before Fayes boat yard. It looks old, rusty and heavy.

I sure would be fun to not have to worry about having someone dinging your fiberglass boat, or getting dock rash.

I can imagine this thing with a rough but durable finish, and just enjoy it!
Old 07-17-2014, 08:08 AM   #31
JTPass

Default New Boater trying to learn

I am new to the forum and a new boater on the lake. I have been trying to get the hang of docking and am getting better, although slowly. I try to boat during the week and practice docking on empty docks whenever I can, and I am not ashamed to back off and try again if the situation calls for it. I have found that most seasoned boaters are more than happy to offer guidance and help, which I accept with gratitude. Last week I was docking at Wolfboro and it was a bit crowded. This boater (docked) saw that I was having a bit of trouble and immediately offered to help from the dock. He took my bow line and tied it off for me. (My wife was with me but she is as new to boating as I am.)
It helps when other boaters try to help rather than criticize new boaters trying to dock.
I enjoy this forum and am getting a lot of great information from it.
Jim
JTPass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JTPass For This Useful Post:
Aguamenti (07-17-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #32
RLW

Smile

JTPass , I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.

Thanks for the good report. In general most people do care and are helpful when assistance is needed.