Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2022, 01:20 PM   #1
phoenix

Default Village Kitchen 2022

Samiam Will you be open for dinner this summer
Old 05-03-2022, 07:12 AM   #2
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Not looking good right now. We're not getting any applications for seasonal workers and as much as I hate to lose nights, we just can't ask our loyal staff work double shifts all summer. They gladly step up when needed but it would be unfair to put that burden on them.
If things change and people start applying, we would open back up as soon as possible.
Thanks for asking....wish I had better news
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (06-10-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 09:12 AM   #3
phoenix

understandable but disappointing Bob
Old 05-03-2022, 09:17 AM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Not looking good right now. We're not getting any applications for seasonal workers and as much as I hate to lose nights, we just can't ask our loyal staff work double shifts all summer. They gladly step up when needed but it would be unfair to put that burden on them.
If things change and people start applying, we would open back up as soon as possible.
Thanks for asking....wish I had better news
This is sad to hear, I was hoping that the hiring issues of last summer would be in the rear view mirror at this point. Apparently not, I can't imaging how hard it is making trying to run a successful business at this time.....
GsChinadoll (06-10-2022)
Old 05-03-2022, 04:49 PM   #5
tummyman

Samiam....are you suggesting that the current three nights might also be eliminated???? UGH..... Let's hope that you can at least keep the current schedule.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2022, 07:01 AM   #6
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
Samiam....are you suggesting that the current three nights might also be eliminated???? UGH..... Let's hope that you can at least keep the current schedule.
Going to hang on for a while but as spring business picks up we'll have to drop nights unless we get additional staff
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
trfour (05-05-2022), upthesaukee (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 08:11 AM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Going to hang on for a while but as spring business picks up we'll have to drop nights unless we get additional staff
Strange this shortage of workers has gone on so long. I was wondering if some of it could be to the fact that people don't take as many second jobs as much any more??
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 02:09 PM   #8
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Strange this shortage of workers has gone on so long.
How are they supporting themselves without an income?
Old 05-07-2022, 02:33 PM   #9
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
Many of those people were in the US on temporary work visas that have not been available for the past 5 years or so.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 02:46 PM   #10
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Many of those people were in the US on temporary work visas that have not been available for the past 5 years or so.
Also, the Great Resignation.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 04:34 PM   #11
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Also, the Great Resignation.

Here's a great piece with data on the great resignation being over. It gets to Mr V's question and my response--people are supporting themselves with better jobs as the economy improves, and we're missing a lot of immigrants

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/05/o...mployment.html
Old 05-07-2022, 05:10 PM   #12
thinkxingu

Quote:
Here's a great piece with data on the great resignation being over. It gets to Mr V's question and my response--people are supporting themselves with better jobs as the economy improves, and we're missing a lot of immigrants

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/05/o...mployment.html
That's behind a pay wall, but didn't you just say what I suggested? That "people are supporting themselves with better jobs" because they left lower-paying ones? I'm definitely not suggesting that immigrant labor isn't a thing, but I know a lot of people who fit into the "Great Resignation" thing who left part-time or low(er) paying jobs because it was a break-even proposition with daycare, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (05-07-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 05:38 PM   #13
garysanfran

Where does someone go for a better job who just turned 16?

Most people, at 16, are (or should be) getting their first jobs. They're usually not making career decisions and moving up.

At 16, I was working in a restaurant washing dishes. At 17, I moved up to busboy. I liked the money and money was what motivated me. What's not motivating 16 yr. olds?

I have an 18 yr. old nephew who has no intentions of ever working. He keeps asking me if I'm leaving all my stuff to him when I pass on. I think he's looking forward to, and relying on, that a bit too much. Especially since I've told him I plan on having nothing when I die except a house he can never afford to own... and selling it, and splitting the proceeds with others...Yup, sorry, ain't gonna be enough left for him to make it.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (06-10-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 07:04 PM   #14
FlyingScot

Quote:
That's behind a pay wall, but didn't you just say what I suggested? That "people are supporting themselves with better jobs" because they left lower-paying ones? I'm definitely not suggesting that immigrant labor isn't a thing, but I know a lot of people who fit into the "Great Resignation" thing who left part-time or low(er) paying jobs because it was a break-even proposition with daycare, etc.

Sadly, data charts in the article will not copy.

Yes, we agree that people are supporting themselves with better jobs, and I also know underemployed low wage people who would not have been underemployed years ago. But more broadly for the economy as a whole, the Great Resignation of people leaving the work altogether is gone. Workforce participation adjusted for demographics, etc is back to normal.

The labor shortage today is not a Great Resignation (of people checking out), it is lack of immigration, demographics, and in certain areas such as ours, a tough housing shortage.
Old 05-07-2022, 09:00 PM   #15
thinkxingu

Quote:
Sadly, data charts in the article will not copy.

Yes, we agree that people are supporting themselves with better jobs, and I also know underemployed low wage people who would not have been underemployed years ago. But more broadly for the economy as a whole, the Great Resignation of people leaving the work altogether is gone. Workforce participation adjusted for demographics, etc is back to normal.

The labor shortage today is not a Great Resignation (of people checking out), it is lack of immigration, demographics, and in certain areas such as ours, a tough housing shortage.
I just heard tonight that yesterday's report showed 3.6% unemployment, historically low, which might support your comments. In any case, it's not cool.

Old 05-07-2022, 09:32 PM   #16
GusMan

Default Breakfast!

Aside from all this talk about economics, employment stats etc.

Breakfast this morning at the VK was outstanding! I arrived to an (almost) empty parking lot at 6:45am... fishing an 8am bass tournament out of Harilla Landing. Thought it might be closed... but open it was! Sat at the breakfast bar and was served coffee immediate by the (always) outstanding staff.

But, no menu! I found out food service started at 7:00am. At 7:00 and 12 seconds my order was taken... Biscuits, Sausage Gravy, scrambled eggs and homefries (extra homefries please!). Awesome!

In these hard times of getting good help... the VK somehow hires the best! Kudos to those servers.. and the owners/management team for making the VK the excellent experience!

Best of luck....

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GusMan For This Useful Post:
Janet (05-08-2022), joey2665 (05-08-2022), mbhoward (05-10-2022), Overlake97 (05-08-2022), TiltonBB (05-08-2022), Waterbaby (05-17-2022)
Old 05-08-2022, 08:03 AM   #17
phoenix

The WSJ today had an article that teen unemployment was down to a pre pandemic rate of 10%. are there no teens in the lakes region that want to work?
Old 05-08-2022, 08:19 AM   #18
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
The WSJ today had an article that teen unemployment was down to a pre pandemic rate of 10%. are there no teens in the lakes region that want to work?
Many of the teens DO work . There just are not that many in the area to take the jobs. Ageing population in the lakes region . There are better paying and more interesting jobs available then washing dishes at the VK .
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 10:30 AM   #19
thinkxingu

I have to wonder why some places struggle to find help and others don't. The Boro this morning had, like, six young people working while Anika's, literally a mile down the road, can't find help.

Is it money, culture, expertise? All?

Old 05-08-2022, 11:33 AM   #20
phoenix

idk but interesting comment. Last summer you couldn't go by any establishment without seeing a help wanted sign. I guess owners with adjust with hours etc and patrons will adjust to longer waits
Old 05-09-2022, 07:15 AM   #21
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
Many of the teens DO work . There just are not that many in the area to take the jobs. Ageing population in the lakes region . There are better paying and more interesting jobs available then washing dishes at the VK .
Oh, c'mon Billy Bob.....what could be better.? It's a career opportunity
Free meals, adulation from beautiful waitress' and only qualification you you need is a pulse.
Did I mention no student loans?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (05-09-2022), FlyingScot (05-09-2022), mbhoward (05-10-2022), phoenix (05-09-2022), TheTimeTraveler (05-10-2022), TiltonBB (05-09-2022), upthesaukee (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 08:55 AM   #22
tis

I don't think it's changed much. Most businesses still need help. You may just have happened to see one that at the time, is full staffed. It's not just Samiam that can't get enough workers.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:15 AM   #23
8gv

Quote:
I have to wonder why some places struggle to find help and others don't. The Boro this morning had, like, six young people working while Anika's, literally a mile down the road, can't find help.

Is it money, culture, expertise? All?

The current hiring climate for restaurant employees is something that makes me quite happy to be retired from the business.

While I cannot speak to the specific restaurants mentioned I do know this:

People often don't quit their job, they quit their boss.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:29 AM   #24
camp guy

Default Working youth

I may trip over my own response, but I will try to make my point. Years past, youth went to work for two basic reasons, 1), to earn money (whether in the economy or a family business, nevertheless, to earn money, and 2), as a way to gain experience and develop character. Earning money speaks for itself, but experience and character covers a w - i - d - e range of life, something only gained by actually doing it.

My question, in the real time of today, is, "How are the unemployed youth of today receiving this "life's education" without actually "doing it" in the market place.?

I had a variety of jobs growing up, and even today, some 60+ years removed from those days, something will trigger a memory from the 'way-back' and I reflect on how lucky I was to have had variety of different jobs and be exposed to the people I worked with and gained experience and character from them.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
bellamaria (08-07-2022), BoatHouse (05-09-2022), GsChinadoll (06-10-2022), pondguy (05-09-2022), tis (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 09:58 AM   #25
Garcia

Default Are teenagers really not working?

I read often on this forum about teenagers not working. My question - is this true? In my town all the teenagers I know work, including my own. Often it is just in the summer, and many I know work under the table and/or do not file tax returns. Does this make it seem like they are not working? Colleges seem to start earlier than when I went, so my kids are back in school before August is over. My kids also go to the lakes region regularly - and don't work when there (neither do I).

It seems there are way more seasonal jobs in the lakes region than there are teenagers or season employees.

I'm really just curious.

Last edited by Garcia; 05-09-2022 at 10:01 AM. Reason: added something
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:31 AM   #26
thinkxingu

I am working with ~120 high school seniors this year, and almost all of them work year-round and most have activities and/or sports. It is very, very rare for a student of mine to not do anything besides school.

Of those students, I know around 15 that have camps/homes/summer rentals around a lake (Winni, Newfound, Ossipee) but none that work there. As someone posted on this forum before, the pay in MA is wayyy better, so, like the person who posted, my students work in MA and head north to play.

I will add that L'il Buddy, who turns twelve in a few weeks, and I have talked about his first job and, more than likely, it will not be working at a store/restaurant, etc. He currently does basic landscaping jobs making somewhere in the $25/hr.+ range, which there's no way he can match working for someone else. In fact, he's already gotten his own push mower, weed whacker, rakes, shovels, etc. throughout the process these last two years.

That's one less summer worker for the region!
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Waterbaby (05-17-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 11:40 AM   #27
FlyingScot

Quote:

I will add that L'il Buddy, who turns twelve in a few weeks, and I have talked about his first job and, more than likely, it will not be working at a store/restaurant, etc. He currently does basic landscaping jobs making somewhere in the $25/hr.+ range, which there's no way he can match working for someone else. In fact, he's already gotten his own push mower, weed whacker, rakes, shovels, etc. throughout the process these last two years.

That's one less summer worker for the region!
This is AWESOME!!! I love that he can earn $25/hr at age 12--a testament to brains and determination, I'm sure. Also a good illustration of why it's tough to fill low level level jobs at restaurants. Please tell your son I salute him
Old 05-10-2022, 07:27 AM   #28
garysanfran

I'm curious about the historic number of students in the area. I tried to find the year-to-year population of Interlakes and I couldn't easily.

If the number is increasing, year-over-year, I'm perplexed as to why the employment shortage for filling entry-level positions.

SAMIAM stated recently, he'd take anyone with a pulse in his restaurant.

Another member recently posted that his 12 yr. old is making over $25/hr. doing landscaping on his own.

The restaurant and entertainment industry is extremely important in this touristy Lakes Region. But, I wonder if the young entry-level kids see the food industry as not career oriented enough?

I saw an article recently on the unreal salary expectations of recent college grads, expecting $100k+ for their first job and the disappointing reality that ensues.

I have friends that have made the food industry their careers and very successfully so.

At the ages of senior citizens today, they're not in the kitchen washing dishes or busing tables. They are in senior management positions or owners.

All of them have at least bachelor degrees in the food industry. One has a masters and has travelled all over the world and lived an exciting life doing so...In my opinion, a landscaper locked into the geography they've built their business in loses some geographical flexibility.

A good food worker can travel almost anywhere worldwide and get employment. Remember, recently before pandemic, all those Eastern European summer workers that would spend their summers here? The Weathervane at The Weirs relied on those workers and has been closed now since 2019.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
DotRat (05-10-2022), trfour (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 08:47 AM   #29
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I'm curious about the historic number of students in the area. I tried to find the year-to-year population of Interlakes and I couldn't easily.

If the number is increasing, year-over-year, I'm perplexed as to why the employment shortage for filling entry-level positions.

SAMIAM stated recently, he'd take anyone with a pulse in his restaurant.

Another member recently posted that his 12 yr. old is making over $25/hr. doing landscaping on his own.

The restaurant and entertainment industry is extremely important in this touristy Lakes Region. But, I wonder if the young entry-level kids see the food industry as not career oriented enou

I saw an article recently on the unreal salary expectations of recent college grads, expecting $100k+ for their first job and the disappointing reality that ensues.

I have friends that have made the food industry their careers and very successfully so.

At the ages of senior citizens today, they're not in the kitchen washing dishes or busing tables. They are in senior management positions or owners.

All of them have at least bachelor degrees in the food industry. One has a masters and has travelled all over the world and lived an exciting life doing so...In my opinion, a landscaper locked into the geography they've built their business in loses some geographical flexibility.

A good food worker can travel almost anywhere worldwide and get employment. Remember, recently before pandemic, all those Eastern European summer workers that would spend their summers here? The Weathervane at The Weirs relied on those workers and has been closed now since 2019.
Love this post from Gary and totally agree.
After more than 40 years in the business,I have scores of success stories
Kids that started as dishwashers at age 14 or 15 that learned the nuts and bolts of the business and went on to very good jobs in management or as owners their own restaurant.
Restaurant work is good for young people because it teaches them how to navigate the workplace dealing with others.Usually,their first such experience
Also teaches them the value of teamwork.Back of the house as well as the front must work together with precision or things fall apart quickly.
Restaurant work is a good start for any young person.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
bellamaria (08-07-2022), Janet (05-10-2022), TheTimeTraveler (05-10-2022), trfour (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 10:44 AM   #30
thinkxingu

Quote:
Love this post from Gary and totally agree.
After more than 40 years in the business,I have scores of success stories
Kids that started as dishwashers at age 14 or 15 that learned the nuts and bolts of the business and went on to very good jobs in management or as owners their own restaurant. Restaurant work is good for young people because it teaches them how to navigate the workplace dealing with others.Usually,their first such experience
Also teaches them the value of teamwork. Back of the house as well as the front must work together with precision or things fall apart quickly.
Restaurant work is a good start for any young person.
Let's not forget that it also teaches empathy and patience—most everybody should work in a retail setting for these reasons.

That being said, given the myriad jobs available to teens that may be more fulfilling or pay better, I can see that restaurant help might suffer.

For example, a fair amount of my students work for camps/after-school programs, etc. that pay well, provide great resume material, and a pipeline to scholarships...and are probably seen as more rewarding. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm not sure I know any seniors working in restaurants.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2022, 12:03 PM   #31
FlyingScot

Quote:
For example, a fair amount of my students work for camps/after-school programs, etc. that pay well, provide great resume material, and a pipeline to scholarships...and are probably seen as more rewarding. In fact, now that I think about it, I'm not sure I know any seniors working in restaurants.

This is an excellent point point--my 20-something kids had a huge selection of resume-building (i.e. college application enhancing) activities/jobs to choose from that did not exist decades ago
Old 05-10-2022, 12:15 PM   #32
trashman

I agree with SAMIAM in that working in the restaurant industry is an excellent job for teens. People are tough, and when expected to give good service with a smile, in a "customer is always right" environment, there are a lot of lessons learned here. Aside from the hard work, it's great for kids to be able to continuously converse with someone they never met before (and who is an adult).
trashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:28 PM   #33
phoenix

i have been to the VK at least 100 times over many years and i have never run across any employees that went friendly to customers. Notice when the chefs finish cooking a meal they announce the name of the server please. So a great place for a teen to learn .Classy place and if not open Friday nights will have me favorite grilled haddock for lunch
Old 05-10-2022, 02:34 PM   #34
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

In round numbers, our local school system used to have 4300 students, all grades. Now we have closer to 3500. This is not unusual across the country.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (05-10-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 05:41 PM   #35
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
its called BIG GOVERNMENT thats how democrats buy your votes.
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sky's For This Useful Post:
Descant (05-11-2022), DotRat (05-10-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 12:30 PM   #36
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky's View Post
its called BIG GOVERNMENT thats how democrats buy your votes.
Really?

The hand outs ended long ago.

Unemployment has dried up.

Yet people somehow don't work yet get by; how?
Old 05-13-2022, 07:38 PM   #37
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Strange this shortage of workers has gone on so long. I was wondering if some of it could be to the fact that people don't take as many second jobs as much any more??
When I was looking for summer jobs in the 1960s and the 1970s, it was almost impossible unless you knew someone to get in somewhere. Everyone was so grateful to have a job. There were much fewer restaurants back then, but the population was also about a third of what it is now in Belknap County and in Carroll County.

I don’t know if the population is just growing older. Even though there are more people, are there less teenagers?
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 08:30 PM   #38
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
In round numbers, our local school system used to have 4300 students, all grades. Now we have closer to 3500. This is not unusual across the country.
Is that just in Government schools or does it also apply to private schools? Just wondering if there has been a shift from those run by the Govt. to private?
Old 05-13-2022, 11:32 PM   #39
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Is that just in Government schools or does it also apply to private schools? Just wondering if there has been a shift from those run by the Govt. to private?
Private schools definitely benefited from the Covid pandemic. Many parents took their children out of public schools which were moving to virtual learning, where most private schools had the ability to continue teaching in class.
I know catholic schools also increased their students.
Old 05-14-2022, 02:58 AM   #40
TomC

Default Rumor

I was talking to a Real Estate agent yesterday (5/13) and she said in passing that VK is for sale She is a residential agent and didn't indicate whether it was the property or the business or both.

perhaps Samiam can confirm or dispel this rumor....
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:45 AM   #41
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
Private schools definitely benefited from the Covid pandemic. Many parents took their children out of public schools which were moving to virtual learning, where most private schools had the ability to continue teaching in class.

I know catholic schools also increased their students.
I know the private/prep schools in the lakes region did move to virtual learning twice, fall of 2020, returned January 2021 and went virtual again early April 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 07:26 AM   #42
SAMIAM

Getting no summer applications at the Village Kitchen but surprised that no kids are applying yet at the Red Hill Dari
We badly need counter staff there
If any of you have kids looking for summer work (14 and over) send them by to train now on weekends and more hours during summer.
With inflation cutting so deep.......I'd think kids would be needing some spending money.
Old 05-14-2022, 11:41 AM   #43
Susie Cougar

SAMIAM,
I feel so bad for your situation. I love the Red Hill Dari, and the Village Kitchen, and have so many fond memories of eating there.

I am wondering if you could eliminate the need for counter help by having customers place their orders themselves. I know some restaurants have touch screens, like Wawa does.
I am in Florida and since the pandemic we have been getting many food trucks coming into our neighborhood. At first, they were swamped and couldn’t keep up. Now, you can place your order on your own telephone and they will let you know when it is ready. I wonder if you could do something like either of these ideas?

Does anyone else have any other ideas? Instead of just commenting on the lack of help in the area, let’s put our heads together and see if we can’t figure out a solution.
The Following User Says Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 05:30 PM   #44
Billy Bob

Quote:
SAMIAM,
I feel so bad for your situation. I love the Red Hill Dari, and the Village Kitchen, and have so many fond memories of eating there.

I am wondering if you could eliminate the need for counter help by having customers place their orders themselves. I know some restaurants have touch screens, like Wawa does.
I am in Florida and since the pandemic we have been getting many food trucks coming into our neighborhood. At first, they were swamped and couldn’t keep up. Now, you can place your order on your own telephone and they will let you know when it is ready. I wonder if you could do something like either of these ideas?

Does anyone else have any other ideas? Instead of just commenting on the lack of help in the area, let’s put our heads together and see if we can’t figure out a solution.
It’s actually simple and basic. supply and demand.
The restaurants that pay the highest wages with a positive work environment find employees. They increase prices to cover the cost.
Some folks won’t adjust the business model and eventually ( quickly) get forced out.
Someone had his cheese moved
Old 05-14-2022, 06:04 PM   #45
Descant

Default Low birth rates

Quote:
Birth rates were dropping long before any pandemic effect. Maybe we'll see a bump in the numbers after everybody stayed home in 2020? Or did they all just adopt pets? That number was way up.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:25 PM   #46
FlyingScot

Quote:
The restaurants that pay the highest wages with a positive work environment find employees. They increase prices to cover the cost.
Some folks won’t adjust the business model and eventually ( quickly) get forced out.
It's easy to criticize when you're not in the arena. We're talking about a couple of terrific places that have tough business models. I do not know Sam, but my impression from many a meal is that he cares about more than just money.

My first job in high school was at a fried fish place not too different from Red Hill. The added food costs and perishability--compared to pizza, just for example--was brutal, especially for a guy trying to keep everything affordable.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:38 PM   #47
phoenix

Vk has a lot of locals who can eat out inexpensively. So not easy to just raise prices. Cutting hours likely still best solution if help is not on the way
Old 05-14-2022, 09:54 PM   #48
TheTimeTraveler

Working at the Village Kitchen is a great opportunity for any Senior citizen.

It was only a few short years ago that folks in their 50's or 60's had difficulty in finding someone who would hire them......
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 10:36 PM   #49
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Working at the Village Kitchen is a great opportunity for any Senior citizen.

It was only a few short years ago that folks in their 50's or 60's had difficulty in finding someone who would hire them......
You know, this idea has crossed my mind also. I read so much about seniors on Social Security and how they cannot get by. And you’re right, it wasn’t that long ago that we faced age discrimination in the workforce.

I’m glad to see some other ideas.
Old 05-15-2022, 04:58 AM   #50
tis

Quote:
I disagree. It is hard to find enough help today, period.
Old 05-15-2022, 05:04 AM   #51
thinkxingu

Quote:
You know, this idea has crossed my mind also. I read so much about seniors on Social Security and how they cannot get by. And you’re right, it wasn’t that long ago that we faced age discrimination in the workforce.

I’m glad to see some other ideas.
Depending on the jobs we're talking about here, I find it difficult to believe that someone in their 50's+ would want to spend an hour of their life for, what, $10-12 after taxes?

I think Walmart is able to pick up greeters and other simple jobs because they're very easy and social. But running around at an ice cream counter or washing dishes, serving, etc.?

Sam, what demographic are you missing these days? Is it local kids, seasonal/foreign workers, older people? Is it a worker shortage or an inability to attract people to work?

I mention this last piece because everybody's talking about the teacher shortage in America when, in reality, there isn't a teacher shortage at all—teachers are just choosing to get out of the business because, well, (for many) it's not awesome to be in education these days. I wonder if it's the same for the food and other industries.

Old 05-15-2022, 06:45 AM   #52
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC View Post
I was talking to a Real Estate agent yesterday (5/13) and she said in passing that VK is for sale She is a residential agent and didn't indicate whether it was the property or the business or both.

perhaps Samiam can confirm or dispel this rumor....
Yes,it's true.Hate to leave the business but way past retirement time for us.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (05-16-2022), joey2665 (05-15-2022), Lakegeezer (07-24-2022), phoenix (05-15-2022), TheTimeTraveler (05-15-2022), trfour (05-15-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 07:00 AM   #53
tis

Quote:
Yes,it's true.Hate to leave the business but way past retirement time for us.
😢 I am sorry to hear this, Sam, (happy for you) and good luck with a sale and retirement. It's bittersweet.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (08-03-2022)
Old 05-15-2022, 09:55 AM   #54
Susie Cougar

I’m sorry to hear this too, Sam, but wish you and your family the very best in your future.

If there’s one bright side, the real estate market is red hot.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:22 AM   #55
phoenix

Bob are you keeping the red hill dairy
Old 05-16-2022, 07:27 AM   #56
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Bob are you keeping the red hill dairy
Yes....it's only seasonal so it's pretty problem free....except finding staff.
Can't believe we're not getting kids for summer jobs
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (05-16-2022), joey2665 (05-16-2022), Nautique2001 (05-16-2022), phoenix (05-16-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 09:38 AM   #57
phoenix

seems like a modification of the peter paul and mary song " where have all the children gone"
Old 05-16-2022, 12:49 PM   #58
Susie Cougar

How much has school enrollment gone down in recent years, or has it?
Old 05-19-2022, 12:23 PM   #59
SailinAway

Re working teenagers, when I was a high school teacher (I left 20 years ago), teenagers overworking outside school was a severe problem. They exceeded the legal number of hours for their age and prioritized work over school. The reason for working was sometimes an expensive vehicle they had to have.

I've tried to hire quite a few teenagers to work on my property. It has been a consistent failure. 50% don't show up on the first day. Half of those who do, don't show up on the second day. Every time I look out the window, they're on their cell phones. I end up working alongside them to keep them moving and doing most of the work myself.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 07:43 PM   #60
Loventhelake

Has the VK stepped into the 21st century yet and started accepting plastic?
I’d like to try it sometime but me no carry the cash….
Loventhelake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Loventhelake For This Useful Post:
Boatbottom952 (05-20-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 07:51 PM   #61
camp guy

Default Village Kitchen 2022

The last time I was in the Village Kitchen I believe there was an ATM in the vestibule area, so cash isn't a problem if you have an ATM card. If you don't have an ATM card you can always go to the bank the morning of the day you want to visit VK and withdraw some cash. The fact that VK doesn't accept plastic is not a total barrier to being able to go there.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (07-26-2022), jeffk (05-20-2022), trfour (05-19-2022)
Old 05-19-2022, 09:56 PM   #62
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loventhelake View Post
Has the VK stepped into the 21st century yet and started accepting plastic?
I’d like to try it sometime but me no carry the cash….
Maybe it is just me, but I don't understand carrying no cash. I never leave the house without cash in my pocket. I have had credit cards skimmed twice when using them in gas stations.

I took an Uber to the airport today and tipped in cash. When I eat in a restaurant, even if I pay with a credit card, I always leave a cash tip. I am sure the help appreciates it. If I have work done at the house I always ask for a cash price and it usually results in a lower price and saves money. As most people do, I tip the gas dock attendant in cash when gassing the boat.

Many people in business would rather have their money right away and it saves them the 2,3,4% that the credit card companies charge.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
KennyFromBoston (05-20-2022), SPT13 (05-20-2022), XCR-700 (07-25-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 04:51 AM   #63
tis

Quote:
How much has school enrollment gone down in recent years, or has it?
Somebody mentioned this in another thread saying it has gone down in, I believe, Moultonboro. I believe the Gov. Wentworth student enrollment is down also. Haven't seen anything about Meredith/Laconia area.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
GregW11 (05-21-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 05:56 AM   #64
rsmlp

Default cash

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Maybe it is just me, but I don't understand carrying no cash. I never leave the house without cash in my pocket. I have had credit cards skimmed twice when using them in gas stations.

I took an Uber to the airport today and tipped in cash. When I eat in a restaurant, even if I pay with a credit card, I always leave a cash tip. I am sure the help appreciates it. If I have work done at the house I always ask for a cash price and it usually results in a lower price and saves money. As most people do, I tip the gas dock attendant in cash when gassing the boat.

Many people in business would rather have their money right away and it saves them the 2,3,4% that the credit card companies charge.
Hardly ever have it. Atavistic. Won't even be thing twenty years from now. I agree, it would be convenient if VK would accept cc but it WON'T prevent me from going!
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 11:57 AM   #65
Loventhelake

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
The last time I was in the Village Kitchen I believe there was an ATM in the vestibule area, so cash isn't a problem if you have an ATM card. If you don't have an ATM card you can always go to the bank the morning of the day you want to visit VK and withdraw some cash. The fact that VK doesn't accept plastic is not a total barrier to being able to go there.
Of which a fee is charged…
Old 05-21-2022, 12:08 PM   #66
Susie Cougar

Quote:
It is not necessary to continue beating a dead horse.
Nothing is going to change.SAMIAM has been running a very successful business for many years. His customers are happy and his waitstaff is happy. He has explained his philosophy multiple times.
And he has stated that he will also take a personal check. That’s too hard for you to do too?

Maybe you’ve lost your chance to try his delicious food, because I’ve heard that he may be selling the restaurant. Maybe the new owners will raise their prices and then accept credit cards and then you can go.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Susie Cougar For This Useful Post:
farechofisherman (05-23-2022), joey2665 (05-21-2022), tis (05-21-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 06:53 PM   #67
Billy Bob

Quote:
It is not necessary to continue beating a dead horse.
Nothing is going to change.SAMIAM has been running a very successful business for many years. His customers are happy and his waitstaff is happy. He has explained his philosophy multiple times.
And he has stated that he will also take a personal check. That’s too hard for you to do too?

Maybe you’ve lost your chance to try his delicious food, because I’ve heard that he may be selling the restaurant. Maybe the new owners will raise their prices and then accept credit cards and then you can go.
Perhaps you missed something because everything is going to change.
In a previous message the owner announced the place is for sale.
He has also stated he is unable to find the help needed to continue the hours needed for dinner. What’s that do to the cash flow.
Also previously stated his past success was helped by his lack of debt. The new owner will have debt from the purchase . What’s that do to ROI
Also stated a potential inability to increase prices as that would have a negative impact on his gross. New owner see that comment and buys this ?
New issue , cost of food has in many cases doubled , can’t afford to hire and costs have doubled and can’t increase prices.
This might have been a VERY successful business in the past but it seems right now this is a business that needs a total overhaul and new business plan
The Following User Says Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
DotRat (05-21-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 08:39 PM   #68
TiltonBB

Quote:
Maybe you use the wrong bank.

My bank refunds all the ATM fees wherever I use my ATM card. 100%, refunded to my checking account no matter how much the fee is or how many times each month I use the card.
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
The Real BigGuy (05-22-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 08:54 PM   #69
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Way! I can’t use my credit card!

With everything we all have to fret about these days, having a hissy fit over not being able to use a credit card takes the cake! You clearly have too much free time. Get a hobby…..or better still, buy the V.K. and run it the way YOU want.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
JanN (05-24-2022), TCC (05-22-2022), TiltonBB (05-22-2022)
Old 05-21-2022, 09:19 PM   #70
Descant

Quote:
Perhaps you missed something because everything is going to change.
In a previous message the owner announced the place is for sale.
He has also stated he is unable to find the help needed to continue the hours needed for dinner. What’s that do to the cash flow.
Also previously stated his past success was helped by his lack of debt. The new owner will have debt from the purchase . What’s that do to ROI
Also stated a potential inability to increase prices as that would have a negative impact on his gross. New owner see that comment and buys this ?
New issue , cost of food has in many cases doubled , can’t afford to hire and costs have doubled and can’t increase prices.
This might have been a VERY successful business in the past but it seems right now this is a business that needs a total overhaul and new business plan
In another thread, you'll learn that people trying to compete in the Lakes Region are competing with folks who paid cash for the business and run it as a hobby. You're not in the old times now.
Old 05-22-2022, 04:55 AM   #71
tis

I truly fear small businesses will become a thing of the past. Maybe a one or two man trade business will continue but businesses with say 5-30 employees just won't be able to sustain.
Old 05-22-2022, 01:03 PM   #72
Mr. V

Quote:
I truly fear small businesses will become a thing of the past. Maybe a one or two man trade business will continue but businesses with say 5-30 employees just won't be able to sustain.
Then again, I understand that a new tavern / eating establishment is about to open in Alton Bay.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:44 AM   #73
phoenix

there is an interesting article today In the Journal about lack of service help in every state. Pools remain closed, camps limit attendance, trolleys in Maine shut down because no drivers, restaurants (just as VK) reduce hours and days. Establishments having to pay more but still get no one applying for jobs. People show up and quit. Biden authorized about 35K more foreign temps. No reason other than demand is up and i guess people going to higher paying industries Red hill cant even get 14 year olds to apply . I am not sure other than immigration anything will change
Old 05-31-2022, 08:14 PM   #74
Loventhelake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
With everything we all have to fret about these days, having a hissy fit over not being able to use a credit card takes the cake! You clearly have too much free time. Get a hobby…..or better still, buy the V.K. and run it the way YOU want.
The only restaurant around the lake worth going out of my way to get cash for is Pop’s Clam shell!
Old 05-31-2022, 08:36 PM   #75
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
The only restaurant around the lake worth going out of my way to get cash for is Pop’s Clam shell!
Loves Pops went there yesterday. I do have say the portion were definitely smaller this season 65.00 for 2 large strips medium shrimp and fried.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 06:33 AM   #76
TiltonBB

Quote:
You don't have to go out of your way, there is an ATM in their dining room beside the restaurant.

You don't tip in cash? Waitstaff? Marina gas attendants? People who go above and beyond making deliveries to your home?

Maybe it is just me, but if I don't have cash in my pocket it feels like something is wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
farechofisherman (06-03-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 10:47 AM   #77
TheTimeTraveler

I went to the Village Kitchen for breakfast a few days ago and heard that they are now officially under new ownership.

I knew it was for sale, but found it surprising that it had actually transferred as the meal I had was as good as I've always had there. Hats off to the new owner(s) for keeping up with the quality, staying with the great prices, and providing the good service! The hours until 2 pm remain unchanged.

I did notice that each table prominently displayed a new sign (in a clear plastic stand) that credit cards are not accepted for purchases.

I have no idea if the new owner has also purchased the building or not. One of the issues of that particular building is the current shifting (or sinking) of the floor in the middle of the dining area (don't place marbles on the tables). You can bet that solving that building issue will be time consuming and expensive.

Owning a Restaurant in todays environment is difficult and I want to wish the new owner much success!
Old 07-24-2022, 10:59 AM   #78
FlyingScot

Sam--

Congratulations on a great run! Our family can only hope the new guys will do as well. Thanks for many a terrific meal
Old 07-24-2022, 04:47 PM   #79
phoenix

Will miss you sam but lots of luck and keep red hill dairy going
SAMIAM (07-25-2022)
Old 07-24-2022, 05:17 PM   #80
phoenix

i Should say Bob you have been at this for 50 years and what a success
Old 07-24-2022, 05:42 PM   #81
pondguy

I remember when the first Village Kitchen was in an old building where Magic Foods is now. That had to be 40 years ago.
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 10:13 PM   #82
Nagigator

Same here. My recollection is that it was an old gas station before it became the VK
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 06:57 AM   #83
tis

Congratulations!!
Old 07-25-2022, 07:50 AM   #84
ishoot308

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Congratulation!

Congrats to Samiam for a well deserved retirement!!

Dan
Old 07-25-2022, 08:21 AM   #85
SAMIAM

Thanks for the kind words.Business was sold to Seth Young our manager.He has worked for us since he was 14 and has done an outstanding job over the years and deserves this opportunity.
Seth values the old traditions as well as having some great new ideas of his own which I must admit are much needed after 37 years
Thank you all for the support
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (08-03-2022), Biggd (07-25-2022), FlyingScot (07-25-2022), garysanfran (08-03-2022), Grant (07-28-2022), Harborist (07-25-2022), Heading4thelake (07-25-2022), ITD (07-26-2022), Janet (07-25-2022), jbolty (07-26-2022), joey2665 (07-25-2022), KennyFromBoston (07-25-2022), Lakegeezer (07-27-2022), Longtimelurker (08-03-2022), mhtranger (07-26-2022), Newbiesaukee (07-25-2022), phoenix (07-25-2022), pondguy (07-25-2022), Sue Doe-Nym (07-25-2022), Susie Cougar (07-25-2022), TiltonBB (07-25-2022), tis (07-25-2022), tummyman (07-25-2022), upthesaukee (07-25-2022), webmaster (07-25-2022), XCR-700 (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 09:22 AM   #86
TiltonBB

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words.Business was sold to Seth Young our manager.He has worked for us since he was 14 and has done an outstanding job over the years and deserves this opportunity.
Seth values the old traditions as well as having some great new ideas of his own which I must admit are much needed after 37 years
Bob, as you enjoy your retirement, please don't go away quietly.

Your contributions on this site are interesting, valuable, and well reasoned. I am sure people still want to hear from you.

Don't be a stranger!
Old 07-25-2022, 09:38 AM   #87
thinkxingu

Quote:

As you may have seen from my posts, I've never had a "wow" experience at VK, but I've always appreciated how you've kept to your mission that obviously worked for many. This story is exactly the type of thing I love to support, though, so I'll be sure to stop in when we can going forward. Best of luck to the new owner.

Congrats on the sale and your retirement, and, as mentioned above, please do continue to contribute to the forum.

Cheers!

Old 08-03-2022, 05:54 AM   #88
ACME on the Broads

Default Great news all around!

Quote:
Sam, we want to wish you and your wife only the very best in retirement. We too have enjoyed the VK for almost 40 years; now our children's children continue the wonderful tradition. Wishing you great health, happiness and continued prosperity.

* A word about Seth Young, what fantastic news! Seth's hard working, always wearing a friendly smile, caring about quality and a more connected line to the VK's history, standards and culture would be difficult to find; IMO, he also prepares one of the best prime rib dinners in the lakes region.
A word about his lovely wife Anna. They say behind every great man is a more impressive wife....Anna Young has to be the most congenial, friendly, upbeat and classy waitress bar none. Always welcoming, warm, sincere, never any drama and especially efficient whether we're a group of 2 or 12....we just adore her.

Following Bill Belichick (Sam) won't be easy but, you two are a terrific team and we're betting you'll be wildly successful and lead the VK to the next level.

Wishing you only success in your wonderful new endeavor, looking forward to supporting you!
ACME on the Broads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACME on the Broads For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (09-24-2022), Winilyme (08-03-2022)
Old 08-03-2022, 06:35 AM   #89
garysanfran

I hope Seth continues Sam's philosophy that the restaurant/culinary industry can be a life-long career and not just a temp. job to work your way through school.

Talent in this industry gets recognized easily and rewarded well.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:37 AM   #90
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACME on the Broads View Post
Sam, we want to wish you and your wife only the very best in retirement. We too have enjoyed the VK for almost 40 years; now our children's children continue the wonderful tradition. Wishing you great health, happiness and continued prosperity.

* A word about Seth Young, what fantastic news! Seth's hard working, always wearing a friendly smile, caring about quality and a more connected line to the VK's history, standards and culture would be difficult to find; IMO, he also prepares one of the best prime rib dinners in the lakes region.
A word about his lovely wife Anna. They say behind every great man is a more impressive wife....Anna Young has to be the most congenial, friendly, upbeat and classy waitress bar none. Always welcoming, warm, sincere, never any drama and especially efficient whether we're a group of 2 or 12....we just adore her.

Following Bill Belichick (Sam) won't be easy but, you two are a terrific team and we're betting you'll be wildly successful and lead the VK to the next level.

Wishing you only success in your wonderful new endeavor, looking forward to supporting you!
Thank you ACME…for a post that is oozing positivity and encouragement for VK.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 11:42 AM   #91
Pineedles

Bob and Sam please accept my sincere thanks for all the wonderful meals my family and I have had at the VK. I wanted to say that because although we tip the wait staff, we rarely see you or Sam to express our thanks.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 06:04 PM   #92
TheTimeTraveler

Had a delightful meal tonight; Haddock and Scallop Casserole while my spouse had the Prime Rib. Excellent meal, great service and very reasonable prices!

Dinners are now being served on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturday nights.

Most of the waiters appeared to be from the morning staff, so my guess is they're working additional added shifts to pick up some extra bucks.

Thumbs up for the Village Kitchen!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (09-25-2022), tummyman (09-24-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 04:42 PM   #93
SAMIAM

Thanks for the kind words Pineedles and TimeTraveler…….and thanks for supporting us all these years.
Sammie and I feel, so lucky to have had a great crew, awesome customers and a good run at the VK
Old 09-26-2022, 08:34 AM   #94
phoenix

Thanks Bob
Old 09-26-2022, 03:20 PM   #95
ACME on the Broads

Default Great Friday Night Dinner and Sat (am) Breakfast!

What terrific meals my wife and I had Friday evening at the VK. I had steak tips with sweet potato fries, a large salad, my wife had the haddock and a large bowl of fish chowder; to say we were thrilled to be back at the VK for dinner would be an understatement. Good old fashioned home cooked meals...............Seth is doing such a great job, like Sam, no nonsense and focused on the kitchen & dinning room and always a greeting smile to his customers all with service that is fast, efficient and friendly.

Finally, a word about Anna; no one is more friendly, charming, sincere and honest to goodness good than she; hard working, and lovely, never seen her not smiling or moody, just so nice.

Got to love the VK, we were back Saturday am for breakfast, fantastic omelets and pancakes.
ACME on the Broads is offline   Reply With Quote