Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2022, 07:00 PM   #1
SailinAway

Default Any open water yet on lakes and ponds?

Anxious to start kayaking.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 08:44 PM   #2
fatlazyless

In Holderness the Squam channel maybe has something like a 1/4-mile of open water between Big and Little Squam, plus is a good excuse to stop at www.waltersbasin.com for a meal on golden pond with a window table to picture looking down at Katherine Hepburn and Henry Fonda, below from 1981, as Henry's character, Norman Thayer gases up the old wood Chris-Craft.

Put-in and parking is free and easy at the Fish & Game twin boat launch ramps and dock about two hundred yards out behind the town library just up Route 113. Route 113 starts right there and is a heck of a scenic, olde-NH drive that rolls along for 40-miles, all the way to Conway, close to the Maine line. In Conway, there's 1316-acre Conway Lake which probably has an F&G kayak launch.

And, don't forget to pack some Cheez-it originals to toss those very hungry Canada gooses. Cheez-its get tossed like a Frisbee for 30-feet, float on the water, and Canada geese really enjoy a good Cheez-it original after tasting their first nibble. Like, what is this orange thing? .......yum! .... .... plus you can always eat the Cheez-it you-self!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-20-2022 at 10:24 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 01:48 PM   #3
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Put-in and parking is free and easy at the Fish & Game twin boat launch ramps and dock about two hundred yards out behind the town library just up Route 113.
Paddlers should know that they're not actually allowed to park in the Fish and Game lot. They can launch there, but they have to park in the street back toward town. Not really a very desirable place to launch a kayak either, due to boat congestion.

I don't suppose you'd care to send me directions to the cottage in On Golden Pond? I've tried to find it several times but no luck. In fact the last time, on a cold November day, I realized there was a crack in my kayak, it began to flood, and I barely made it back to the launch, bailing like mad the whole way.

I'll pretend I didn't hear you advising people to feed Cheez-Its to the geese.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (03-22-2022), barefootbay (03-20-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 04:24 PM   #4
John Mercier

I'm not sure that it could be ''seen'' from the lake.
It has a very distinct porch railing as seen in the movie.

I've had several people come in wanting to replicate various pieces. They bring the pictures - most likely from the internet.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 04:52 PM   #5
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Paddlers should know that they're not actually allowed to park in the Fish and Game lot. They can launch there, but they have to park in the street back toward town. Not really a very desirable place to launch a kayak either, due to boat congestion.
Yes, but this time of year, both Big and Little Squam are still frozen ice while the Squam channel or river is open due to the current and that along with the F&G boat launch and Walter's Basin makes it a place to go kayaking for now.

The dock down the bottom of the double lane, two-ramp launch is a good dock for getting yourself into a kayak, and the kayak can get hand carried down the asphalt ramp(s).

With no motorboats on trailers using the ramps and parking lot, it is good-to-go for parking a car without a trailer attached.

This all can change on April 1, the first day for fishing the open water lake.

And hey, Canada gooses gotta live too, and they just LOVE those floating Cheez-it originals that can be thrown 30' just like a Frisbee!
Old 03-20-2022, 05:09 PM   #6
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

Quote:

And hey, Canada gooses gotta live too, and they just LOVE those floating Cheez-it originals that can be thrown 30' just like a Frisbee!
I am not sure about the legality of feeding the geese, I will leave that to others.

However, having had my docks and yard invaded by geese I would be glad if they decided to hang around somewhere else. The mess they leave behind is disgusting.

Maybe if people didn't feed them and encourage them to stay they would go elsewhere.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (03-21-2022), Biggd (03-21-2022)
Old 03-20-2022, 05:24 PM   #7
John Mercier

They seem to spend more time in areas with large lawns near the lake. Probably something about the sight lines for predators.
Old 03-20-2022, 07:51 PM   #8
fatlazyless

A nice healthy green grass lawn is like a 'salad' to a hungry Canada goose.

The reference to Norman Thayer gassing up the Chris Craft was with him down at the gas dock at www.squamboats.com which is directly across the Squam channel from Walter's Basin restaurant.

It is absolutely, positively, absolutely LEGAL to toss a Cheez-it original from your kayak while in the lake to a nearby Canada goose, also in the lake, and they will spin like a Frisbee for a distance of about 30', plus Cheez-its will float. .... ..... It usually takes a minute or two or three for a goose to recognize it as food at first, but just one nibble and it is TOTALLY in love with the very salty and cheesy Cheez-it original.

Besides, you can always munch a Cheez-it, you-self, and share the food experience with a Canada goose ..... bon appetit ..... avec la bernache du Canada ...... https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernache_du_Canada
Old 03-20-2022, 09:27 PM   #9
John Mercier

I know where Walter's Basin is.
My family used to own Smith Piper. We left that a long time ago.

I also know the story. The Fonda's at lunch at Marie's... currently the Center Harbor Diner... we also owned that - a long time ago.
Old 03-21-2022, 07:11 AM   #10
ACME on the Broads

Quote:
In Holderness the Squam channel maybe has something like a 1/4-mile of open water between Big and Little Squam, plus is a good excuse to stop at www.waltersbasin.com for a meal on golden pond with a window table to picture looking down at Katherine Hepburn and Henry Fonda, below from 1981, as Henry's character, Norman Thayer gases up the old wood Chris-Craft.

Put-in and parking is free and easy at the Fish & Game twin boat launch ramps and dock about two hundred yards out behind the town library just up Route 113. Route 113 starts right there and is a heck of a scenic, olde-NH drive that rolls along for 40-miles, all the way to Conway, close to the Maine line. In Conway, there's 1316-acre Conway Lake which probably has an F&G kayak launch.

And, don't forget to pack some Cheez-it originals to toss those very hungry Canada gooses. Cheez-its get tossed like a Frisbee for 30-feet, float on the water, and Canada geese really enjoy a good Cheez-it original after tasting their first nibble. Like, what is this orange thing? .......yum! .... .... plus you can always eat the Cheez-it you-self!
*Obviously, you were unaware eating Cheez-its cause tinnitus, especially in those 70 and up, perhaps EOA?

Feed the geese, really....... take a walk, barefoot to Hesky Park, then get back to us.

Finally, have you seen the recent price increase for a box of Cheez-its?
ACME on the Broads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ACME on the Broads For This Useful Post:
lakeadoodle (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 07:54 AM   #11
chaseisland

Default Dinner

Canada goose with Cheeze-its stuffing for dinner!
chaseisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2022, 05:46 PM   #12
steve-on-mark

Ok .. enough with the damn geese! I travel Rt. 125 in Lee every day when I'm not at the lake, and I drive by Wheelwright Pond. Usually ice out there is a couple of weeks before Winni, and this evening coming home it was wide open. I checked my photo archives ( yeah, I have that ), and found that last year Wheelwright was clear March 23.... consequently the C-Nile was launched in Gilford April 3rd. I know it's not scientific, but.... Ok, back to Cheez-Its and gooses!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
MDoug (03-21-2022), SailinAway (03-21-2022), trfour (03-21-2022)
Old 03-21-2022, 08:39 PM   #13
SailinAway

Quote:

Besides, you can always munch a Cheez-it, you-self, and share the food experience with a Canada goose ..... bon appetit ..... avec la bernache du Canada ...... https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernache_du_Canada
Je te prie de noter ceci dans la source que tu cites: "Le régime alimentaire de la bernache du Canada est végétarien : plantes aquatiques, céréales, graminées." Arrete donc avec tes niaiseries de Cheez-Its, tabernouche.
Old 03-21-2022, 08:42 PM   #14
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
Ok .. enough with the damn geese! I travel Rt. 125 in Lee every day when I'm not at the lake, and I drive by Wheelwright Pond. Usually ice out there is a couple of weeks before Winni, and this evening coming home it was wide open.
Ah, that's a beautiful sight.
Old 03-21-2022, 09:19 PM   #15
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Je te prie de noter ceci dans la source que tu cites: "Le régime alimentaire de la bernache du Canada est végétarien : plantes aquatiques, céréales, graminées." Arrete donc avec tes niaiseries de Cheez-Its, tabernouche.
Nous parlons francais ici... Cheez-Its isn't a member of the plant family??? You heard him,FLL...stop with the Cheez-Its!!

Old 03-22-2022, 06:00 AM   #16
fatlazyless

On Monday March 21 at 6-pm, I stopped at the Squam Lakes F&G boat launch and the Squam channel/river is totally free of ice due to the current flow, plus the open water extends down out beyond Walter's Basin restaurant, and launching and retrieving a kayak at the ramps looks very doable on the smooth concrete ramps and in very shallow water at the bottom of either ramp, there

All the snow has melted from the nearby F&G parking lot and there was no cars parked there. It has something like 20 parking spaces with signs that say 'parking for vehicles with trailers ONLY!'

Would I get a $75-ticket for parking a roof-rack kayak car on March 22 in an un-used space that is designated for cars with trailers, only, prior to the April 1 start of open water fishing? That is probably up to the discretion of the individual Fish & Game officer ..... ..... so it's an unknown?

You know what ...... hey ..... but Officer ..... so's there's like zero cars with trailers parked in here ...... fishing season don't start till April 1 ..... today is March 22 ..... I am paddling a kayak, wearing a pfd and dry suit and NOT fishing ..... can I park in one of the 20 spaces designated for cars with trailers, only ....... what do YOU say? ...... and ..... blah-blah-blah .... blah-blah-blah .... and .... blah-blah-blah .....

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-22-2022 at 06:36 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 12:40 PM   #17
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
Ok .. enough with the damn geese! I travel Rt. 125 in Lee every day when I'm not at the lake, and I drive by Wheelwright Pond. Usually ice out there is a couple of weeks before Winni, and this evening coming home it was wide open. I checked my photo archives ( yeah, I have that ), and found that last year Wheelwright was clear March 23.... consequently the C-Nile was launched in Gilford April 3rd. I know it's not scientific, but.... Ok, back to Cheez-Its and gooses!

Just had that talk with Dan today. His sentiment was similar.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
Descant (03-22-2022)