Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
camp guy

Default Getting here from Culpepper, VA area

In a couple of weeks I will be driving from the Culpepper, VA area to Wolfeboro, and I am looking for some route advice. I particularly DO NOT want to use either the GW or the Tappan Zee bridge, neither do I want to travel through New Jersey traffic. I am hoping to stay west of all the congestion of NYC, etc. Also, recognizing that there could be weather, I want to stay away from Albany - Bennington - Brattleboro if possible.

So far I have spoken with several people and have gotten several + 5 answers. I know there are Forumites who travel this route.

Thanks for any suggestions. PM me if you like.
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:05 PM   #2
Bear Islander

I don't drive that route but I do route trucks that way. If you don't want GW or Tappen Zee that leaves the bridges of I84 or I90. Coming north your main options are I95 or I81. 95 goes through Washington, Baltimore and Philly, so...

81 - 84 - 90 - 495 - 3 - 93

or

81 - 86 - 90 - 495 - 3 - 93
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:56 PM   #3
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

81 is a great ride! There are a lot of trucks...
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #4
brk-lnt

Download the Waze app, and take whatever route it tells you. Overall I doubt you'll find a more efficient path.
pjard (11-29-2015)
Old 11-29-2015, 08:15 PM   #5
pjard

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Download the Waze app, and take whatever route it tells you. Overall I doubt you'll find a more efficient path.
Agree, trust Waze to go whatever way it suggests. Really, Waze is the best.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2015, 07:23 AM   #6
ApS

Thumbs up Less Efficiency, More Peace...I-81...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
In a couple of weeks I will be driving from the Culpepper, VA area to Wolfeboro, and I am looking for some route advice. I particularly DO NOT want to use either the GW or the Tappan Zee bridge, neither do I want to travel through New Jersey traffic. I am hoping to stay west of all the congestion of NYC, etc. Also, recognizing that there could be weather, I want to stay away from Albany - Bennington - Brattleboro if possible. So far I have spoken with several people and have gotten several + 5 answers. I know there are Forumites who travel this route. Thanks for any suggestions. PM me if you like.
I've taken an occasional detour from my usual relaxed "Inland-Route", which is I-81. Much of the I-81 route is reminiscent of New Hampshire scenery, including Autumn's colors.

If I were leaving Culpepper, I'd drive north to Baltimore, pick up I-83N, and route myself to I-81N, then take I-84E through Hartford, CT. (etc.).

Travel these routes on a weekend, and you'll find there are fewer trucks, no bridge congestion worries, no backups to local beaches, very little- or no- Interstate construction, and Hartford can be navigated with less terror.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:00 AM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

How about 78 through NJ or is that too busy for you? and up 87 and 287 to Newburgh and across the bridge there to 84.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:49 PM   #8
jimkberry

Before moving to Meredith we spent 15 years in the West Boston burbs (Maynard) and travelled regularly to visit my folks in Winchester, VA.

First time was via 95 - and that was the last time for that. After that we used 81 to Scranton and then 84 thru CT to the Mass Pike.

After a couple of unpleasant trips through CT in what should have been straightforward Winter weather we decided that it was worth the theoretical extra half-hour to catch 87 N off of 84 in NY and head up towards Albany and get on 90 there. 2 points worth noting: a) because of the difference in traffic, this detour is sometimes not any longer time-wise, and is a million times more relaxing, and b) I'd take Winter driving in Albany any day over CT.

So: 81 - 84 - 87 - 90 - 495 - 3N (pay the toll. 93 in MA is awful) - 93 - whatever you like from that point.

Good luck.
jimkberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 07:31 PM   #9
camp guy

Default Getting here from Culpepper

I like your thinking, jimkberry, sounds like a route I could be happy with at this time of year. Thanks. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:37 PM   #10
jimkberry

Oh crap! Now it's my fault if traffic is bad!

Just kidding. Have a safe trip.

-jim
jimkberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 09:09 AM   #11
nhboat61

Actually did this trip this Tuesday. My biggest problem was DC ( both down and back)

I left Fredricksburg at 0600, got to the GW at 1100 and was at my daughters in CT ( off 84) 90 minutes later.

Waze is the way to go. Timing is everything I think with the 95 route.

84 in CT is bad from exit 17 to 26.. construction in Waterbury will add at least 30-45 minutes to go that 10 miles or so.

I toyed with the
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:04 AM   #12
ApS

Thumbs up Still a Fan of I-81...

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
In a couple of weeks I will be driving from the Culpepper, VA area to Wolfeboro, and I am looking for some route advice. I particularly DO NOT want to use either the GW or the Tappan Zee bridge, neither do I want to travel through New Jersey traffic. I am hoping to stay west of all the congestion of NYC, etc. Also, recognizing that there could be weather, I want to stay away from Albany - Bennington - Brattleboro if possible. So far I have spoken with several people and have gotten several + 5 answers. I know there are Forumites who travel this route. Thanks for any suggestions. PM me if you like.
So what directions would you suggest, after these many suggestions that mention I-81?

I've been taking the same I-81 highway for nigh-on 20 years. Last Autumn I had my first traffic jam. Flashing signs stated the Interstate was blocked in both directions!

Although I have Waze on my Smartphone, there was no way to access it in a timely fashion. However, I noticed a Mustang, who turned sharply onto an exit--followed sharply by a Volvo station wagon. Taking a chance, I swerved to join them.

Then there was five of us, "rolling over hill and dale". There were turns I thought belonged to someone's driveway, and thought I'd made a terrible mistake! But we became tourists to marvelous, green, peaceful, and bucolic North Virginia scenery for about 20 minutes.

Returning to the Interstate, a Trooper appeared in sight, who waved the Mustang and Volvo through--and halted me and a few behind me. It was a long wait--although maybe only 5 minutes--and we were allowed to proceed.

If you get off the Interstate in Virginia or Maryland (nicknamed "the freak state" for some reason--Maryland's "Rain Tax", maybe?) you'll see some exquisite scenery this side of New Hampshire.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:51 AM   #13
camp guy

Default Getting here from Culpepper, VA area

Between now and the original post, my reason to be in the Culpepper, VA area passed away, so the question, for me, is moot. However, for a variety of reasons, I like to avoid Washington, Baltimore, and 95 north, preferring to take either 83 or 81 to 84, and then suffering through CT to 90-495-95 and on into NH, avoiding 93 (at all costs) and heading to Portsmouth and 16-11-28 into Wolfeboro. I am comfortable with that route, and I have reached the age where comfort is more important to me than some other factors.
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-02-2021)
Old 03-02-2021, 12:07 PM   #14
jbolty

A couple years ago I drove from Center Harbor to visit my mom in Bristol PA. I was driving a rented car and did not even think about the tolls. A lot of them take a picture of your plate and send a bill and then the rental company charges $15 for each one, as a courtesy. Made the same drive again last year and asked waze for a route without tolls. Took me about an extra two hours or so but had a nice scenic drive across vermont and down along the hudson then on to rt1. When we used to drive with my dad he would not stop for anything except gas but now that I'm in charge I stop all the time and try to stay off the interstates if it makes sense.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
ApS (03-02-2021)