Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
ultrarider

Default Proposed Trail Thru Wolfeboro to Town Dock

Just saw an article about this in the Granite State News. A 4-1 vote in favor of a proposal to make a temporary trail through town to the Town Dock onto the Lake.

http://www.wolfeboronh.us/Pages/Wolf...4009E-000F8513

Last edited by ultrarider; 12-01-2015 at 12:36 PM.
ultrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:42 PM   #2
SAB1

Would be good for the restaurants in town. Always thought it was odd to have to drive up through Kingswood and come in thru the back the depot
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:42 AM   #3
nightrider

Default trail thru town

The trail as shown appears to route to the boat ramp which stays wide open in the winter due to the circulators around the town docks. A route through Cate Park via the lake access used last year would seem more logical.
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:51 AM   #4
camp guy

Default Sno-mobile trail through Wolfeboro

The trail through Wolfeboro takes riders to the Lake via the boat ramp, and the Town is planning to turn off the bubblers and let the docks freeze in allowing this access.

As I understand it, the whole purpose of this link through Town is to connect the Bridge-Falls Path to the Lake, thus opening up a much broader area to riders.

There was some opposition by one Selectman, and several citizens of the Town, mostly concerning the loss of handicap parking by the Post Office, and the fact that this trail will be crossing Main Street at a very busy section.

As I understand it, also, this is a one year trial run to see how it works.

The second justification is to bring snowmobilers to downtown for retail purposes, to include both restaurants and shopping.
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #5
SAB1

I think its a great idea to try. As for clogging up town because of a crossing it wouldn't even come close to the issues seen in the summer!
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #6
nightrider

Default I'm all for it, but.........

Has anyone taken a look at the ice damage potential to the docks?
nightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #7
ultrarider

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrider View Post
Has anyone taken a look at the ice damage potential to the docks?
From what I read in the Granite State News, the bubbers will be turned off during the winter, and then turned back on when the Ice on the Lake starts to melt and breaks up. I am not, in any way familiar with the characteristic of Ice movement, and the potential of ice damage to docks by ice, but it seems the consensus is that, it's not the ice freeze that damages, but rather the breaking up period of the ice melt. It's what I read.
Old 12-03-2015, 12:24 PM   #8
Barney Bear

Default Dock Ice Damage

Ice expansion presses against the dock posts and can cause damage to them. Bubblers, etc. keep the ice away from these posts. Bubblers offer no protection against pack ice as the ice goes out 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #9
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

I think its a great idea to try it for a year and see how it goes. It certainly will help to bring some business to the local establishments from the many snowmobiler's who ride the area.

Good job Wolfeboro!

Dan
Old 12-03-2015, 01:56 PM   #10
AC2717

when the wind moves the ice sheets the bubblers are not strong enough to hold it off anyways, also the formation of the ice around the docks will be fine as it will lock it might have an issue when it starts to brake up and a large sheet is attached to the docks and might pull on the pilings, the end of the ice season will be the time something will happen with the floating ice, but the bubblers will not have anything to do with that off or on. Again the cannot hold off ice sheets moving from the wind
Old 12-03-2015, 08:55 PM   #11
SAB1

I'm in line of thinking with Barney bear. When the ice freezes solid around the pilings the pressures and expansion can lift the pilings right up and the dock can be ruined. Happened in our association at the dock one year. Costly repairs. We had one piling that rose 18 inches
Old 12-04-2015, 05:47 AM   #12
ultrarider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAB1 View Post
I'm in line of thinking with Barney bear. When the ice freezes solid around the pilings the pressures and expansion can lift the pilings right up and the dock can be ruined. Happened in our association at the dock one year. Costly repairs. We had one piling that rose 18 inches
So-- Wolfeboro should abandon this idea because of potential damage to the docks? Potential. I'm thinking this a trial test. If any damage happens, the town will repair, and they won't do the trail access going further. I'm sure the town council discussed this potential, before voting. But I could be wrong. JMO
Old 12-04-2015, 07:59 AM   #13
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I don't see how they are going maintain it. Are they going to truck in snow, plow around it when it snows, keep it packed? And if so, who is going to do it ? The snowmobile club? The town? I haven't heard anything about that.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #14
ultrarider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I don't see how they are going maintain it. Are they going to truck in snow, plow around it when it snows, keep it packed? And if so, who is going to do it ? The snowmobile club? The town? I haven't heard anything about that.
From the article in the Granite State News 11/26/2015 issue. It said the that town will keep & maintain a 8" section of snow along Center St as it shows on the proposal, and Yes- the club will maintain the grooming.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:26 AM   #15
nhboat61

I just hope is snows...
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 12:01 PM   #16
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarider View Post
From the article in the Granite State News 11/26/2015 issue. It said the that town will keep & maintain a 8" section of snow along Center St as it shows on the proposal, and Yes- the club will maintain the grooming.
I read the article but I still don't see how they are going to do it. Just seems like a little strip is going to be hard to keep, with the heat from the tar all around it.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #17
SAB1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhboat61 View Post
I just hope is snows...
This!

I agree also it will be hard to maintain especially if there is a lot time between storms but I am all for it.

I don't think they should abandon the idea because of potential dock damage since it isn't a certainty but I think they maybe be playing roulette with damage.
Old 12-04-2015, 03:41 PM   #18
Senter Cove Guy

Default A Curtain

There is some kind of a "curtain" being installed today at the town docks. The "curtain" is supposed to allow the bubblers to stay on but yet allow the ice path from the lake to land stay frozen. This is second hand info so it would be nice if someone up there could check it out and report back.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:18 PM   #19
nhcatrider

The sidewalk areas that are going to be snow covered will not be as hard to maintain as one might think. The city of Berlin used to do this every year until corridor 18 was moved across the street. They would plow onto the sidewalk after every storm and the club would groom it. It would last well into spring unless we had a low snow year.
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 10:19 PM   #20
pcmc

I always try to think out side the box.....here goes....

What if a dock that sleds can access had an extension built farther out into the lake. This would allow sleds to get farther out beyond the bubblers. The bubblers will lessen the chance for the ice damage. The end of the dock could slant down into the ice so sleds transition smoothly on to the ice. In the summer it will offer needed additional boat parking.
Just trying to throw an idea out there.

Edit:And I'm not an engineer so don't ask me how to do it, someone else can figure that one out.lol.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pcmc For This Useful Post:
trfour (12-25-2015)
Old 12-26-2015, 07:37 AM   #21
ultrarider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmc View Post
I always try to think out side the box.....here goes....

What if a dock that sleds can access had an extension built farther out into the lake. This would allow sleds to get farther out beyond the bubblers. The bubblers will lessen the chance for the ice damage. The end of the dock could slant down into the ice so sleds transition smoothly on to the ice. In the summer it will offer needed additional boat parking.
Just trying to throw an idea out there.

Edit:And I'm not an engineer so don't ask me how to do it, someone else can figure that one out.lol.
Sound like that would work. Only problem with Wolfeboro's dock is that there is a 30" wall that runs along the shore side of the docks. It might be a little hard for a sled to turn that tight coming off the ice. The only straight shot into the lake that I know of is the ramp, but I could be wrong
Old 12-26-2015, 06:47 PM   #22
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarider View Post
Sound like that would work. Only problem with Wolfeboro's dock is that there is a 30" wall that runs along the shore side of the docks. It might be a little hard for a sled to turn that tight coming off the ice. The only straight shot into the lake that I know of is the ramp, but I could be wrong
I'm unsure where the trail will be so its difficult to comment and be accurate.
To the left end of the docks(looking out over the lake) next to the dock having a handicap location for a boat,( the 1st dock ) isn't there room to come off the lakes there? This would bring you into the park area behind the gazebo.
Or
At the opposite end, the far right looking out over the lake, could a removable staircase/ramp be built that could be used for the snow season. I can't picture how far of a drop it would be where The Mount docks, but having access down that side walk area and down a ramp into the ice is an idea. Install a set of axels to it and tow it away as soon as the ice is unsafe.
I hope this makes sense, it's difficult to try to explain an idea.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:16 PM   #23
ultrarider

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmc View Post
I'm unsure where the trail will be so its difficult to comment and be accurate.
To the left end of the docks(looking out over the lake) next to the dock having a handicap location for a boat,( the 1st dock ) isn't there room to come off the lakes there? This would bring you into the park area behind the gazebo.
Or
At the opposite end, the far right looking out over the lake, could a removable staircase/ramp be built that could be used for the snow season. I can't picture how far of a drop it would be where The Mount docks, but having access down that side walk area and down a ramp into the ice is an idea. Install a set of axels to it and tow it away as soon as the ice is unsafe.
I hope this makes sense, it's difficult to try to explain an idea.
The maps shows the trail going right down the boat launch. I think what you suggested makes more sense, by coming off the lake way to the left & behind the gazebo, then into the parking lot.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:31 AM   #24
tis

I agree. I think it would have made more sense to go through the park and up Glendon St. Maybe they don't want the grass in the park to get torn up?
Old 01-19-2016, 02:38 PM   #25
Senter Cove Guy

Default Erroneous Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senter Cove Guy View Post
There is some kind of a "curtain" being installed today at the town docks. The "curtain" is supposed to allow the bubblers to stay on but yet allow the ice path from the lake to land stay frozen. This is second hand info so it would be nice if someone up there could check it out and report back.
This turned out to be erroneous information. Sorry about that.