Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2023, 07:18 PM   #1
CatchNRelease

Smile Places to Tube and places to swim

Against by better judgment, forced into it by my work schedule and the lack of sun this season, I am renting a boat this weekend and taking the family out on the lake for the day. We are starting in wolfboro but would go anywhere on the lake where we can find some relative quiet.

I was envisioning leaving wolfboro, going to a place to tube, then going somewhere else to swim/eat our packed lunch/float, then go somewhere else to tube. My fun is navigating the lake, so I don’t mind going from one end to the other between “activities”.

The first rule of this forum seems to be don’t give up the good stuff in a public post, so feel free to PM me if you’d rather but I’d love to see as many suggestions as you have to help me plan a day avoiding the weekend crazy as much as I can.

Thanks!!
CatchNRelease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 09:49 PM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

Note other threads and TV news about problems with high water and docks as well as floating debris from trees that came adrift with rising water and docks that broke loose. With this high water, repeated circling in a cove can cause significant damage, to shore structures and perhaps to the rental boat.
Good weekend to start early, find a good spot on a sandbar and enjoy. Tow your tubers in the broads as you cruise gently from place to place.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (07-14-2023), ITD (07-14-2023)
Old 07-13-2023, 09:53 PM   #3
GusMan

Default Swim and Tube....

Hey CatchNRelease..

A couple questions.....

What kind of boat are you renting? Wolfboro is great, but getting to the rest of the lake includes crossing the Broads... which, depending on the weather can be daunting.

I am way more familiar with the central/northern sections but know a bit about the Wolfboro/Alton areas.

For tubing... you want a relatively unbusy area with fewer obstructions and fairly light boat traffic. Wolfboro Bay (early) and Winter Harbor come to mind (sorry WH residents). For lunch... maybe the Varney or Kensington Island areas... be careful... rocky shallows but places to anchor. A bit further is the beach at Ragged Island... never been there but I've heard it's great. There is also a sandbar in West Alton, probably not quiet, but I've heard it's nice.

Enjoy the weekend!

Gusman

PS Keep your eye on the weather! Things can get sideways in a hurry on the big lake!
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 02:54 AM   #4
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

My suggestions would depend on your timing and length of rental.

If you were hitting the water early—9 or earlier—I'd tube in the Broads between Parker and Moose Islands, where it'll be wide open without much traffic at that time and not cause damage as Descant mentioned.

From there, I'd head to the West Alton sandbar. Depending on the weather, if you're there by 11 or so, it's a pretty easy entry. Have lunch and swim there for a bit.

Afterward, if you're up for sightseeing, you could hug the western shore down to the Weirs and back or go across the Broads and drop anchor on the west side of Ragged, scoot around Hole in the Wall, and head home.

If you pulled tubing from the equation, I might alter this plan to bring you more north off the beaten path and into some of the smaller coves, but, as mentioned, the high water, weird weather, and resulting boating patterns have made this a different year to plan/navigate.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
CatchNRelease (07-14-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 05:08 AM   #5
CatchNRelease

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
Hey CatchNRelease..

A couple questions.....

What kind of boat are you renting? Wolfboro is great, but getting to the rest of the lake includes crossing the Broads... which, depending on the weather can be daunting.
I’m renting a cobalt R6
CatchNRelease is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CatchNRelease For This Useful Post:
Cobalt 12 (07-14-2023)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-2023, 09:28 AM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts
Default Anchor?

If you're renting and going to a sandbar, you may need a second anchor. Not always included in a rental. Hope you'll come back here and tell us about your day.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
CatchNRelease (07-14-2023)
Old 07-14-2023, 01:33 PM   #7
The Real BigGuy

If you go to Ragged on a good day, go early. It gets real crowded

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote