Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 09:26 AM   #1
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
Maybe you could give us some examples of what the area kitchen staff make? It's hard for me to believe there are adults that would work for minimum or low wage as competent cooks and chefs. Looking forward to the data you have as numbers don't lie...
Kind of weird that you expect a person to have data on NH restaurant pay?

But for those without some sort of chip on their shoulder, and genuine interest in the issue....

Here's a quote from Danny Meyer, owner of Shake Shack, on the issue he saw at his full service restaurants, describing the dynamic I cited of waiters doing well with tips while cooks' pay stagnated:

“The gap between what the kitchen and dining room workers make has grown by leaps and bounds,” Mr. Meyer said. During his 30 years in the business, he said, “kitchen income has gone up no more than 25 percent. Meanwhile, dining room pay has gone up 200 percent.”

This was from a NY Times article a few years back. His effort to eliminate tipping ultimately failed (for the reasons we might expect);

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/15/d...s-no-tips.html
Old 05-08-2021, 10:01 AM   #2
TheRoBoat

Default More on the no tipping model

Zuni Cafe is a very popular restaurant in SF.

https://www.sfgate.com/food/article/...e-16148343.php
The Following User Says Thank You to TheRoBoat For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (05-10-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 10:19 AM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,527 Times in 988 Posts
Default 2015?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post

But for those without some sort of chip on their shoulder, and genuine interest in the issue....

Here's a quote from Danny Meyer, owner of Shake Shack, on the issue he saw at his full service restaurants, describing the dynamic I cited of waiters doing well with tips while cooks' pay stagnated:

“The gap between what the kitchen and dining room workers make has grown by leaps and bounds,” Mr. Meyer said. During his 30 years in the business, he said, “kitchen income has gone up no more than 25 percent. Meanwhile, dining room pay has gone up 200 percent.”

This was from a NY Times article a few years back. His effort to eliminate tipping ultimately failed (for the reasons we might expect);

That's a pretty old quote, from a market that is unlike NH and related to a "no tipping" issue. I would suggest that in the last year or two, kitchen staff pay remained steady, per hour worked. Waitstaff, depending on tips from 50 customers a shift were reduced to tips from, say, 12.5 customers as capacity was reduced, or transferred to drive-up. A number of different scenarios were discussed in these pages a year ago.
Old 05-08-2021, 11:31 AM   #4
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
That's a pretty old quote, from a market that is unlike NH and related to a "no tipping" issue. I would suggest that in the last year or two, kitchen staff pay remained steady, per hour worked. Waitstaff, depending on tips from 50 customers a shift were reduced to tips from, say, 12.5 customers as capacity was reduced, or transferred to drive-up. A number of different scenarios were discussed in these pages a year ago.
Yes--it's an old quote and not related to covid as the issues you point out are. But it is an accurate description of how low wage labor in America has been hammered over the past several decades (less than 1% increase per year in this example). At some point, this leaves folks not wanting to work.
Old 05-08-2021, 01:28 PM   #5
Descant

Default Changing times

Quote:
Yes--it's an old quote and not related to covid as the issues you point out are. But it is an accurate description of how low wage labor in America has been hammered over the past several decades (less than 1% increase per year in this example). At some point, this leaves folks not wanting to work.
I think we're seeing a different kind of eating out. When I got my first restaurant job, they trained me to be a short order cook and cook's assistant. I was sixteen; there were bunches of small family run, seasonal restaurants and motels around the area. The motels went condo and people either BBQ'd at the condo, or looked for more upscale dining. Both of those opportunities for kids to get some experience are gone. The community colleges and UNH have, I believe, thriving schools for culinary arts and hospitality, but again, aimed at a more refined experience. Over the same time HS and college sports started backing things up into mid-August. I don't think ill of any employer who is reluctant, in a seasonal business, to hire somebody who wants a week's vacation and then has to leave on August 15. And, nobody needs the money anymore. Whose kid do you know who is "working his way" through college? Easy student loans and no collateral, and politicians who promise loan forgiveness.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2021, 02:48 PM   #6
camp guy

Default Staffing Issues for Summer of 2021

I think, Descant, that you have hit the high points, and each of them ,or all, apply to some, if not all, local employers. I do think, though, that these conditions are not knew, not caused by COVID, but have been in the making for a number of years.

Young people today are just not interested in working a summer job. So, when they do enter the labor market, and their perspective employer asks them if they have any experience, they are at a loss for what to say. Most employers employing beginning workers aren't expecting to hire a trained person, but they do hope to hire someone who has some level of experience in just being an employee.

Sadly, that's not happening. Because of this circumstance, some employees are finding themselves caught in an unpleasant dynamic wherein they have education, but no experience, only can find an entry-level job, but, have real-world expenses that an entry-level job won't cover. At some point in time the government bail outs will stop and then hard, cold reality will kick in.

My advice to someone looking for a job - take whatever comes along and do your best, and keep moving up from there.
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-09-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 04:02 PM   #7
Descant

Default Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
I think, Descant, that you have hit the high points, and each of them ,or all, apply to some, if not all, local employers. I do think, though, that these conditions are not knew, not caused by COVID, but have been in the making for a number of years.

Young people today are just not interested in working a summer job. So, when they do enter the labor market, and their perspective employer asks them if they have any experience, they are at a loss for what to say. Most employers employing beginning workers aren't expecting to hire a trained person, but they do hope to hire someone who has some level of experience in just being an employee.

Sadly, that's not happening. Because of this circumstance, some employees are finding themselves caught in an unpleasant dynamic wherein they have education, but no experience, only can find an entry-level job, but, have real-world expenses that an entry-level job won't cover. At some point in time the government bail outs will stop and then hard, cold reality will kick in.

My advice to someone looking for a job - take whatever comes along and do your best, and keep moving up from there.
Agreed--it's not just covid, but that's an easy thing to point to, especially as it it very quickly. The other things under discussion, as you note, have been gradual.

For young folks looking for experience for their resume: my first job out of school, I worked for my uncle. He's still hiring, men and women. Training of all sorts, clothing, food and housing allowance. College tuition and health plans unmatched. 30 days vacation--not this two weeks to start and earn more. When I was ready to leave and the job market was thin, he repeatedly hired me back as an instructor for 25 days at a time. A very kind employer, in my experience, and well regarded on my resume.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
camp guy (05-08-2021)
Old 05-08-2021, 04:43 PM   #8
MotorHead

So we went to Jon's Roast Beef for lunch today, delicious as always.
Fully staffed, gentlemen at the register must have been 65+, good for him.
Waitress was in her 30's. (I am trying to make a point here, get it - No kids)

How is it that some places find employees and others can't.

Last edited by MotorHead; 05-09-2021 at 07:58 AM.
Old 05-08-2021, 04:57 PM   #9
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorHead View Post
So we went to John's Roast Beef for lunch today, delicious as always.

Fully staffed, gentlemen at the register must have been 65+, good for him.

Waitress was in her 30's. (I am trying to make a point here, get it)

How is it that some places find employees and others can't.
My ex works at Jon’s part time at the register . She loves it there people are extremely nice pay is good not great but well over minimum wage.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-08-2021, 11:37 AM   #10
TheRoBoat

Default How many jobs unfilled?

There was an article in the Daily Sun on Thursday about this issue. In the article, various businesses stated how many employees they were short.

Is there an estimate, or could someone with knowledge make a guess, as to the total number of jobs in the Lakes Region that are going unfilled this summer?
Old 05-10-2021, 05:49 AM   #11
swnoel

Quote:

You made a generalized statement about kitchen workers and I only asked where you got your data from and was interested.

Last edited by swnoel; 05-10-2021 at 06:23 AM.
Closed Thread