Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-17-2008, 06:18 AM   #1
Skip

Exclamation Illegal kayaking...say it ain't so!

From this morning's Conway Daily Sun editorial page, a kayaker disturbing a nesting loon. And not a power boat in sight!

Name:  kayak.JPG
Views: 7008
Size:  15.6 KB
The point?

The common denominator when it comes to stupidity is always the Capain, not the type of vessel.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:00 AM   #2
Orion

Default what's really going on?

Something's wrong with the photo. There is a line going from the head of the loon toward the kayak. Is he trying to rescue the bird from a snag?

Loons don't nest in the middle of the lake, so where's the nest here?

Also, it doesn't look like he's really a "kayaker", just a guy using a kayak to get out to the bird (his leg is up on the deck).
Old 07-17-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
Joanna16

The Text that Goes with the Photo from the paper:

No peace for expecting mother as she sits on nest
To the editor:
Wildlife’s Greatest Threat: There is no peace for this expecting mother as she sits on her nest, day and night, all the while floating on a man-made raft at the west end on White Donkey in Tamworth. On the 7th of July while walking on the trail that leads from the south end of the beach and swimming areas I came upon this scene. Her mate was nearby watching a senseless encroachment of an endangered species. Motel and hotel rooms offer a placard that you can hang on your outside doorknob. “Please do not disturb.” - Mel Chute, Chocorua
Old 07-17-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
Skip

Sorry, forgot to include the photographer's caption:

To the editor:
Wildlife’s Greatest Threat: There is
no peace for this expecting mother as
she sits on her nest, day and night, all
the while fl oating on a man-made raft
at the west end on White Donkey in
Tamworth. On the 7th of July while
walking on the trail that leads from
the south end of the beach and swimming
areas I came upon this scene.
Her mate was nearby watching a
senseless encroachment of an endangered
species. Motel and hotel rooms
offer a placard that you can hang on
your outside doorknob. “Please do not
disturb.”
Mel Chute
Chocorua
Old 07-17-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
WeirsBeachBoater

I say we ban them!!! I am contacting my rep I want a Bill brought before the legislature! We need to let the government know that we are AFRAID, and FEAR for the well being of our ENDANGERED species!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
Woodsy

Default Whats Wrong With That Pic??

Unbelieveable....

Not only is the dumb*ss harassing a Loon on a nest.... but where is his PFD? What happens if the Loon lunges or attacks and knocks him into the water? How will a speeding GFBQ canoe see him in time to avoid a collision?

I say we require all canoes, kayaks, sailboats, and other non powered watercraft purchase a $10 "preservation" sticker.... money to be used by the NHMP to educate these heathen on proper boating safety & environmental responsibility!!

Woodsy
Old 07-17-2008, 09:02 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Thumbs up Yeap!

I agree with Woodsy.

Make it mandatory that nonpowered vessels captions wear flourescent orange life vests to protect the innocents!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Let's not jump to conclusions here solely based on the photgraph and attached news article. The article is based on the photo and it did not include any interview of the kayaker. Possibly the kayaker was attempting to remove a fishing line or plastic trash remnant from the entangled loon? One's preconceived thoughts can prejudice what you see in this photo.

Looking at this photo, the kayaker could be attempting to untangle the wild loon from floating debris such as a six-pack plastic.

Isn't there a loon preservation and rescue group located in Moultonboro. What would a photo of a loon rescue person look like?

Looking at the photo, what do you see?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:26 AM   #9
rander7823

Default Boats or People

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater View Post
I say we ban them!!!
Hey WBB,

Which do you mean?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #10
WeirsBeachBoater

I mean Kayaks and Canoes! Can't ban people, well maybe, but that is another topic. Loons taste like chicken, so I wouldn't ban them! Just Kidding, kidding.

Disclaimer: I have never nor do I intend to eat Loon, It was a joke, actually I have seen a bumper sticker with that on it.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:24 PM   #11
Joe Kerr

Thumbs up Stealth Kayaks should be banned.

Quote:
I say we ban them!!! I am contacting my rep I want a Bill brought before the legislature! We need to let the government know that we are AFRAID, and FEAR for the well being of our ENDANGERED species!
I'm with you WeirsBeachBoater. Ban those dangerous things.

Those stealthy kayaks and canoes glide so quietly through the water that they can sneak up on loons or people. If you swim or snorkel you could wind up with one of them bearing down on you. The poor loon never had a chance.

There ought to be a noise law. The minimum allowable noise you have to make on the lake. With that protective law the loon would have had advance warning of the approaching kayak as would swimmers and snorkelers.

They are already protected by the go fast be loud boats. Loons can hear those coming and the GFBLs go so fast that the loons does not have time to be disturbed.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:24 PM   #12
Mee-n-Mac

Wink But wait, there's more .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Something's wrong with the photo. There is a line going from the head of the loon toward the kayak. Is he trying to rescue the bird from a snag? {snip}
OMG, you are correct sir ! There's more going on here than initially meets the eye. That's no snag, it's a lasso !! The boater has lasso'ed the poor bird to tow him around the lake. Worse than that, he's using some recreational kayak. If only it had been a sea kayak then the imprisoned loon wouldn't have had to work so hard .....
Old 07-17-2008, 12:29 PM   #13
NightWing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
OMG, you are correct sir ! There's more going on here than initially meets the eye. That's no snag, it's a lasso !! The boater has lasso'ed the poor bird to tow him around the lake. Worse than that, he's using some recreational kayak. If only it had been a sea kayak then the imprisoned loon wouldn't have had to work so hard .....
Nope. Obviously, the loon has caught a kayaker in her trap with which to feed her young. I hear kayakers taste like granola. (c'mon, it's a joke)
Old 07-17-2008, 12:43 PM   #14
VtSteve

This is the kind of mindless, senseless, arrogant act I've come to expect from the pardy not at all paddling crowd. Harassing birds, probably disturbing turtles, all in the name of self-serving interests.

That poor bird looks absolutely terrified in that picture, as anyone would be had their 150' space been violated. I'll bet the poor bird had to endure many minutes of fright as the kayak headed straight for her, probably not even aware of the impending encroachment. The kayaker could have slowed down, but it's not their nature, never has been. The kayaker is probably coming back from the local quick stop, with the day's beer supply.

Loons have rights too!
Old 07-17-2008, 01:20 PM   #15
Mee-n-Mac

Talking And yet even more ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
This is the kind of mindless, senseless, arrogant act I've come to expect from the pardy not at all paddling crowd. Harassing birds, probably disturbing turtles, all in the name of self-serving interests.
{snip}
Turtles you say .... well I can't disprove that but let me add that it's worse than you think. Lookee here.

Poor old protected mantee, needlessly run over by the kayaker with his knife sharp blade edges. Sure, sure it has nothing to do with the lake nor is it in the state of NH but that doesn't matter. It still looks bad. Oh, the humanity !!!!
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #16
Mee-n-Mac

Talking And before someone else does it ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
Oh, the humanity !!!!
Did I say humanity .....
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2008, 01:36 PM   #17
VtSteve

Those blubbery lards are absolutely everywhere down South. They are going to end up as endangered as the mosquito As far as I'm concerned, protecting manatees is like protecting Eurasian millfoil, another pest from another far away land.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #18
Seaplane Pilot

Now if we could only convince Fish & Game to stock the lake with Great White Sharks...maybe we could "Thin the Kayak Herd", making the lake much safer for us "Cowboys".
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #19
VtSteve

I notice that kayak has no flag. It also looks like no PFD.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #20
alsadad

Default Safety devices

Clearly the kayaker bears the brunt of the blame for paddling faster than his ability to see the loon. But the bird also contributed to this violation by failing to use all of the safety equipment that is available on the market today. As Exhibit A I offer my new invention: a bright orange colored globe-shaped latex rubber device that is filled with helium and tethered to the bird. I call it the Backoff Alert for Loons -- or BA Loon for short.

Last edited by alsadad; 07-17-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #21
jrc

I love the seaplane pilot picture. I read the article that was with it. Basically the guy in the kayak said that he wasn't worried, they often come by and check things out but they wouldn't bother him. Funny that's exactly what that bear guy said in Alaska before the bear ate him and his girl friend.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:48 PM   #22
bigpatsfan

Totally enjoyed reading the above posts.... just what the doctor ordered!!!
Old 07-18-2008, 12:18 AM   #23
Rattlesnake Guy

Thank you for the Hindenburg and white shark post. We need more threads like this one to keep it fun.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #24
rander7823

Default Just ask Chief Brody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Now if we could only convince Fish & Game to stock the lake with Great White Sharks...maybe we could "Thin the Kayak Herd", making the lake much safer for us "Cowboys".
Great Whites eat powerboats also........
Old 07-21-2008, 04:00 PM   #25
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rander7823 View Post
Great Whites eat powerboats also........
Yeah, but only if you're trying to catch them. Since we "cowboy" powerboaters travel at breakneck, lightning speeds at all hours of the day and night, there's no way a great white will ever catch us. Pity the poor kayaker that can't paddle fast enough.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #26
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Pity the poor kayaker that can't paddle fast enough.
I am sure there is a kayaker or two we know that could out-paddle a shark!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:26 PM   #27
Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
Never mind the shark, always go kayaking with someone slower than you?
Old 07-22-2008, 08:16 AM   #28
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
We know one for sure that would claim to be able to outsmart,outdebate, outcondition,and certainly not the least of all,out whine that darn shark!
Old 07-22-2008, 09:03 AM   #29
Evenstar

Unhappy

The amount of kayak bashing on this forum continues to amaze me. This is supposed to be a place for all boaters - yet the powerboat owners seem to think that there’s nothing wrong with constantly putting down paddlers here. No wonder that I’m only one of the few paddlers who is brave enough to post here. And I get jumped on every time that I stand up for paddlers. And please don’t try to tell me that this is just a joke – because I’m not laughing at your insults. This is nothing more than prejudice - and it is wrong.

This thread was started by making an accusation that is based solely on a poor quality photo and on the opinion of the photographer that the kayaker’s action was “senseless encroachment of an endangered species.” First of all, we don’t know why the kayaker was there, so there's no proof that it was "senseless". For all we know, he may have been there to help the loon. What ever happened to “innocent until proven guilty?” Secondly, loons are not an endangered species (http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Wild...gered_list.htm).

And, before you guys that are suggesting that we should ban anything that posses a threat to loons, you really should understand where the main threats come from – because you’re actually advocating banning yourselves.

From The Loon Conservation Committee http://www.loon.org/research.html#causes

“Results of our mortality studies have shown that lead sinkers and jigs are the primary cause of death of adult loons, while boat and personal watercraft collisions account for more chick deaths than any other cause.”

“Loss of breeding habitat as a result of shoreline development is one of the main causes of the reduction in loon numbers throughout New Hampshire.”
Old 07-22-2008, 09:57 AM   #30
WeirsBeachBoater

"This is nothing more than prejudice - and it is wrong" Kind of like painting all powerboaters as evil, loon killing, paddler hating monsters?

Listen to your own advice.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #31
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Heh,heh,heh.......After all the heat that GFB's have taken over the years,now Evenstar is all indignant because one of his Kayakin' buddies was BUSTED.....and don't give me that "poor quality photo" excuse.....there was an eyewitness to the crime.I've never seen a GFBer torment and distress a poor nesting loon mom like that .Probably the eggs never developed because of that thoughtless act. Kayaks and canoes should fitted with a warning bell to warn wildlife of their presence.How many more loons must suffer?
Old 07-22-2008, 02:04 PM   #32
Islander

Evenstar

Let them have their fun! They are still smarting from their big loss. For a time they will enjoy trashing kayaks, nitpicking supporters posts and turning every thread into a speed limit debate.

So they will search the internet for funny or embarrassing pictures and stories about kayaks, canoes and so on. Let us show them we are gracious winners and let them enjoy their jokes.

It's only fair. Remember two years ago when we lost..... actually.... on second thought.... we took it like adults.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #33
Evenstar

Cool

Quote:
Kind of like painting all powerboaters as evil, loon killing, paddler hating monsters? Listen to your own advice.
Now you're actually accusing me of stating things that I've never even posted! Please get you facts straight before you make accusations against me. Show me where I've ever made negative comments about ALL powerboaters. I have made it very clear that I have nothing against powerboats, and I have never even suggested banning any type of powerboat from the lake. It's the attitude and the ignorance of SOME powerboat operators that I have trouble with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
After all the heat that GFB's have taken over the years,now Evenstar is all indignant because one of his Kayakin' buddies was BUSTED.....and don't give me that "poor quality photo" excuse.....there was an eyewitness to the crime.
1.) The photo is poor quallity.
2.) There's no evidence that the kayaker was not attempting to help the loon. Someone's opinion alone, about what they think that they saw, isn't evidence that a "crime" took place. Did the eyewitness or anyone else ever question the paddler?
3.) I'm a she. And I don't even know the person in the photo - so he is hardly one of my "Kayakin' buddies." All my kayaking buddies paddle sea kayaks.
4.) Since this event did not occur on winni, using the rules of the anti-speed-limit-members, it is irrelevant to this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander View Post
Evenstar, Let them have their fun! They are still smarting from their big loss. For a time they will enjoy trashing kayaks, nitpicking supporters posts and turning every thread into a speed limit debate.
I was totally ignoring this thread - until posts started being directed at me personally - that's crossing the line in my book.

Quote:
It's only fair. Remember two years ago when we lost..... actually.... on second thought.... we took it like adults.
Yes we did.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:03 PM   #34
SAMIAM

Kayakers....GUILTY as charged.......Think about this fact! GFB's prowl the broads and the rafting hangouts.....while the evil kayakers invade all of the quiet little places where wildlife tries to hide.They disturb nesting birds,turtles beaver colonies,spawning fish....even frogs and tadpoles get bumped out of their nests as the kayakers power through the shallows.No little bay or cove is safe from them.....they pride themselves on being eco-friendly but the opposite is true....they invade and disturb the very creatures that they so pride themselves on preserving.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:19 PM   #35
Mashugana

Arrow Yes lets go to Club Baby Seal.

I'm with brk-lnt 100%. We should meet at the club and get to know one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
The amount of kayak bashing on this forum continues to amaze me.
It's not bashing, it's swamping. I heard it happens a lot on Squam or was it Winnisquam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar
This is supposed to be a place for all boaters - yet the powerboat owners seem to think that there’s nothing wrong with constantly putting down paddlers here. No wonder that I’m only one of the few paddlers who is brave enough to post here.
This is supposed to be a place for ANYONE, particularly anyone with an interest in the Lakes Region of NH. Not just power boaters. I could have a sailboat and know how to Jibe .

Quote:
And I get jumped on every time that I stand up for paddlers.
You claim it happens so often that I think you secretely might like to get jumped on.

Quote:
And please don’t try to tell me that this is just a joke – because I’m not laughing at your insults. This is nothing more than prejudice - and it is wrong.
As you wish dear Evenstar. I won't try to tell you that this is a joke or satirical or even a fun thread. It started as an informational post showing an interaction shared between a KAYAK a kayaker and a loon. That's no joke.

I did miss where people insulted you. You are the only brave kayaker that speaks up the way you do. You are right. That is just wrong.

Prejudiced? you bet I am. I would rather read this thread than 98% of the speed limit threads.

BTW. Was that a sea kayak or a plain old regular kind of kayak bothering that loon?

kayakers are boaters too
Old 07-17-2008, 07:36 AM   #36
2Blackdogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
The point?

The common denominator when it comes to stupidity is always the Capain, not the type of vessel.
But the type of vessel IS mentioned.

There is no agenda at work here.....just move along.....
Old 07-17-2008, 09:42 AM   #37
SAMIAM

FLL....didn't you read Skips post?? There was an eyewitness and he was doing exactly what the picture shows.
Bear Islander.......imagine one of those hateful,reckless kayakers tormenting your little Daisy on her nest with 8 little eggs.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:28 AM   #38
Seaplane Pilot

Default In the famous words of Howie Carr...

How many more, Mr. Speaker...How many more??

Last edited by Seaplane Pilot; 07-18-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:25 AM   #39
twoplustwo

I can out wine any shark! A Hewitt cab would go nicely on the lake.

Oh, you said whine. Never mind.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #40
twoplustwo

It must be tough wearing this all the time.
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2008, 01:45 PM   #41
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Thumbs down You are going to far!

Evenstar,

I find it funny that you blast all powerboaters on Winnipesaukee about speed limits in past posts and you don't even claim Winnipesaukee as your home lake. You should be staying out of this website. You can't take a joke.

I am furious that I can not enjoy my hobby of bare foot skiing because of the speed limit. I move on. I can take jokes from Bear Islander, APS and others and I am not offended. Let things be as it may.

I am a kayaker and I love to paddle. I don't have a problem with anyone out on the lake except for the Captain Boneheads that cause most of the problems we hear about today. They are the 'black eye' of the boater's community.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:26 PM   #42
Evenstar

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Evenstar, I find it funny that you blast all powerboaters on Winnipesaukee about speed limits in past posts and you don't even claim Winnipesaukee as your home lake. You should be staying out of this website. You can't take a joke.
I have never "blasted all powerboaters on Winnipesaukee about speed limits." That is a completely false accusation. And I have as much right on this website as anyone. And I can take a joke - but I don't consider insults to be jokes.

Quote:
I am furious that I can not enjoy my hobby of bare foot skiing because of the speed limit.
Why can't you enjoy your hobby? You'll just have to do so at a little slower speed.

According to the American Barefoot Club: In the United States, USA Water Ski sanctions more than 50 barefoot tournaments each year. . . . Barefoot water ski events – wake slalom, tricks and jumping – are similar to the three events in traditional water skiing. Differences arise in the speed of the boat and the skier (depending upon age division, barefoot events are sometimes faster, with a top speed for the Open Division of 43.2 mph).
If competitions are limited to a top speed of 43.2 mph, why can't you enjoy your hobby at speeds up to 45 mph?
Old 07-26-2008, 10:31 PM   #43
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post

Why can't you enjoy your hobby? You'll just have to do so at a little slower speed.

If competitions are limited to a top speed of 43.2 mph, why can't you enjoy your hobby at speeds up to 45 mph?
Perhaps Broadhopper has little feet or a fat a$$ and 43.2 mph is to slow to stay up. Gee I wonder if they consider this an insult
Old 07-26-2008, 11:52 PM   #44
hazelnut

This is AWESOME

Best thread of the year.

Evenstar please just do the entire community a HUGE favor and stop reading/posting etc.

This thread was humorous in nature and it is completely obvious that you do not possess a funny bone. Take a kayak ride to Wal-Mart and purchase one.

Keep em coming folks.... good stuff all around.
Old 07-27-2008, 07:23 AM   #45
SAMIAM

Now I'm getting nervous.....I'm affraid Evenstar and her partner might look some of us up and kick our butts. Gee......we were only kidding....we're sorry!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:52 AM   #46
brk-lnt

Quote:
Now I'm getting nervous.....I'm affraid Evenstar and her partner might look some of us up and kick our butts. Gee......we were only kidding....we're sorry!
C'Mon, admit it. You have a dark repressed fantasy to be "paddled" by Evenstar and her buddy...
Old 07-27-2008, 07:56 AM   #47
Kamper

Quote:
...I'm affraid Evenstar and her partner might look some of us up and kick our butts. ... sorry!
Sow the wind, reap the whirlwind!

I don't know why I keep reading this thread. Maybe it's a great example of how immature people can get when protected by the anonymity of the 'net. I am just morbidly fascinated by so many folks regressing back to 2nd grade emotionalism. lol.

Or else you guys just love the drama!

Since Don hasn't shut it down yet I guess he must be laughing his transom off at the show too. In that case, keep up the good work, folks! The man deserves some entertainment too.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #48
bigpatsfan

Default My final thought on the Illegal kayaking...say it ain't so! thread

I disagree with the statement that kayakers have “won”. I believe that kayakers actually “lost”. What the speed limit law is going to do, is to allow boaters to “feel” safer on the big lake. This increased sense of safety will significantly boost the total number of boats on the lake. Of course with more boats come more accidents, more wake damage etc. The end result is the ability to enjoy a quiet kayak ride on the big lake has significantly been reduced with the new speed limit law. I do not believe was the kayaker's intent. So kayakers lost and so did the boaters. The only one that won is the State as they will collect more money for both increased boat registrations and speeding tickets.

As for the "Illegal kayaking...say it ain't so!" post, I do not believe that this thread started out with a goal to hurt or damage kayakers. “The ability to laugh at oneself is a sign of confidence”

Thirdly, to the kayakers, don’t you find your statements “that there is no evidence” on what the kayaker was doing ironic as that is what the speed limit opponents are saying when they say there is no evidence that speeding is an issue.

Even with everything that was posted, I still like kayaking and kayakers and still like boaters and go fast boaters. I took the thread as what it was supposed to be,
Old 07-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #49
brk-lnt

That thread was a lot of fun, but it was closed. It's usually not a good idea to try re-ignite a closed thread by starting another one about the same stuff.

Take the thread closing as an indication that the subject is done being discussed.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:04 AM   #50
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpatsfan View Post
I disagree with the statement that kayakers have “won”. I believe that kayakers actually “lost”. What the speed limit law is going to do, is to allow boaters to “feel” safer on the big lake. This increased sense of safety will significantly boost the total number of boats on the lake. Of course with more boats come more accidents, more wake damage etc. The end result is the ability to enjoy a quiet kayak ride on the big lake has significantly been reduced with the new speed limit law. I do not believe was the kayaker's intent. So kayakers lost and so did the boaters. The only one that won is the State as they will collect more money for both increased boat registrations and speeding tickets.

As for the "Illegal kayaking...say it ain't so!" post, I do not believe that this thread started out with a goal to hurt or damage kayakers. “The ability to laugh at oneself is a sign of confidence”

Thirdly, to the kayakers, don’t you find your statements “that there is no evidence” on what the kayaker was doing ironic as that is what the speed limit opponents are saying when they say there is no evidence that speeding is an issue.

Even with everything that was posted, I still like kayaking and kayakers and still like boaters and go fast boaters. I took the thread as what it was supposed to be,
Your theory that a speed limit will increase the number of accidents and make the lake less safe is openly ridiculous. Your logic is twisted and convoluted beyond recognition. By your way of thinking our highways and roads would be safer if we eliminated all speed limits.

How do you explain the fact that it has not worked out your way on any of the other lakes that have enacted speed limits?

As to you third point. When the opposition claims there is "no evidence that speeding is an issue" they are either lying or misinformed. There is plenty of evidence. You may disagree that a speed limit is the solution. However to say that the evidence does not exist is idiotic.

The evidence has been presented, you have read it, therefore it "exists".
Old 07-27-2008, 11:10 AM   #51
bigpatsfan

brk-lnt you are correct and consider this my last post on this subject

Bear Islander i would love to respond but brk-lnt is correct.. this is a closed thread.

bye
Old 07-28-2008, 07:18 AM   #52
JDeere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpatsfan View Post
I disagree with the statement that kayakers have “won”. I believe that kayakers actually “lost”. What the speed limit law is going to do, is to allow boaters to “feel” safer on the big lake. This increased sense of safety will significantly boost the total number of boats on the lake. Of course with more boats come more accidents, more wake damage etc.

Your logic is simply amazing. Maybe if we suspend all boating laws and make it mandatory to travel at speeds of 45 mph+, while drinking a beer, talking on your cell and towing a barefoot skier we can all relax because then the lake will be truly more dangerous THEREFORE safer.

Did I get that right?