Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #1
gokart-mozart

Default Wolfeboro Dunkin Donuts

A little bit off my usual restaurant commentary - I have been a customer at Dunkin Donuts stores from Tucson AZ all the way across the country and up through New England. I'm on the road a lot and sometimes quite early, so it's a convenient and more-or-less agreeable way to grab something for breakfast.

In my opinion, the Wolfeboro store is the worst one in the country. No, I haven't been to all of them, but I've been to lots and lots. Most of them are very similar. Not our hometown one.

In the last month, most of my window orders have been wrong. Not once in a while - 75-80% of the time. The "breakfast wrap", which requires simple assembly, and which is a uniform product all across the fruited plain, is never - and I mean never - right at this location. The cashiers are almost always mixed up about what I ordered.

Is there an inside story about this location that I just don't know about?
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
Heading4thelake

Default this is off google

Dunkin Donuts Reviews Matching: Search Reviews
Sort by: Yelp Sort | Date | Rating | Elites' | Facebook Friends'
Facebook Friends
From Reviewers You're FollowingReviews from Your Friends 2 reviews in English Review from G M. 1 friend
89 reviews
G M.

Wolfeboro, NH
8/2/2009
I've always been curious what Mafia ties and bribery took place to land a Dunkin Donuts in the middle of Wolfeboro, considering all the chains the planning board has turned away... That aside, this DD is pretty much the same as any other; their breakfast bagel sandwiches and flat bread sandwiches are decent, and their coffee is blah.

The staff are generally unfriendly all day long, but you really need to be here in the morning to experience the meanest old ladies Wolfeboro has to offer. Seriously, it's almost funny.

This is the only DD I've ever been to that refuses to take baked food orders at the drive-through in the morning, even a simple toasted bagel with cream cheese, and once you're in the drive-through lane, there's no getting out. But even if you go inside, they will inevitably manage to mess something up. My wife says it's the worst DD she's ever been to, and she should know.

Oh, and a warning about parking: At peak times, DO NOT park on the side with the high stone wall holding back the hill. When the drive-through line backs up and the delivery truck arrives (which is always during the morning rush) you will not be able to leave, unless you join the drive-through line. You have been warned!
Was this review …?
Useful (4) Funny (3) Cool Add owner comment Bookmark Send to a Friend Link to This Review Review from David C. 0 friends
2 reviews
David C.

Albany, NY
8/4/2010
This is the absolute worst Dunkin Donuts I have ever been to. The service was positively the worst service I have ever received. Plus once you're in the drive-thru lane and you cannot leave.
Heading4thelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
Newbiesaukee

Now who says that no one ever agrees in the restaurant thread?

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart-mozart View Post
A little bit off my usual restaurant commentary - I have been a customer at Dunkin Donuts stores from Tucson AZ all the way across the country and up through New England. I'm on the road a lot and sometimes quite early, so it's a convenient and more-or-less agreeable way to grab something for breakfast.

In my opinion, the Wolfeboro store is the worst one in the country. No, I haven't been to all of them, but I've been to lots and lots. Most of them are very similar. Not our hometown one.

In the last month, most of my window orders have been wrong. Not once in a while - 75-80% of the time. The "breakfast wrap", which requires simple assembly, and which is a uniform product all across the fruited plain, is never - and I mean never - right at this location. The cashiers are almost always mixed up about what I ordered.

Is there an inside story about this location that I just don't know about?
I long for the days when Pop's Donuts operated up the street!
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
ChasesIslandOkie (07-07-2014), old coot (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #5
RailroadJoe

I'm still waitng for a McDonalds in Wolfeboro or Moultonboro. I never get DD coffee, it's to high priced and I find not as good as Newman's at Micky D's.
I love the fact that they think their towns are too high faluting and better than Gilford. I try and stay on the other side of the lake. Except for Country Kitchen (my favorite).
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2013, 06:34 AM   #6
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Good luck waiting for McDonald's. It will never happen, at least with the current mindset in Wolfeboro. MD's wanted to come to Wolfeboro first, before they ended up in Ossipee and Wolfeboro gave them such a hard time, they gave up and went to Rte 16 in Ossipee. Dunkin Donut's took about 2 years as I recall to get their permission to be n Wolfeboro. Buddy LeHeroux's (of Red Sox fame) daughter went to Planning Board Meeting after Planning Board Meeting to finally get the approval. I don't think their was any bribery, just perseverance. And a lot of it!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #7
Mirror Lake's BB

They don't even serve poppy seed bagels.
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
Senter Cove Guy

Default Service Not Good

Last weekend I ordered a breakfast sandwich and waited 5 minutes. Not seeing any activity making my sandwich, I inquired about it, they looked at their computer screen and realized that it HAD BEEN FORGOTTEN. Ouch!

Yep. No poppy seed bagels. One big disappointment.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:51 PM   #9
Rusty

Quote:

How many times in that month period did you go to Dunkin Donuts in Wolfeboro? I ask that because if you went there enough times to make the 75-80% a big number, then you must be a glutton for punishment.

I'd rather skip breakfast then to eat at any fast food chain. I can't even pronounce some of the stuff that they put in their food.

Last edited by Rusty; 03-26-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
Legionnaire70

Apparently none of you have visited the Alton DD?!

I stopped going there the service and food was so bad! Some days I wanted to reach into the glove box and shoot myself!!

I believe the Alton and Wolfeboro stores were run by the same person, not sure if that's the case anymore.

If you think they are bad drive down the street to McDonald's, they took the "fast" out of fast food!
Legionnaire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Legionnaire70 For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (03-26-2013)
Old 03-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #11
Coolbreeze

...and remember "America runs on Dunkin"
if so, holy s*#! we got problems!

No wonder our country is in such condition.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Coolbreeze For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 04:40 AM   #12
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire70 View Post
If you think they are bad drive down the street to McDonald's, they took the "fast" out of fast food!
I think most McDonald's have taken the fast out of fast food. Wonder what they've changed to make it that way.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:09 AM   #13
Belmont Resident

Default I agree with Rusty

The closest I'll come to fast food is Subway.
After my last blood test revealed high cholesterol, I have cut all fast food and as much processed food out of my diet as possible.
The things not discussed on a forum but you hear about, are more and more people having problems that are traced back to today's processed foods.
On the original post, I went out of my way to get a bagel last fall at the Wolfeboro D&D and it was not a good experience.
I cannot see how D&D stays in business. They sell coffee for 3 times what we can make it at home for. Between a bagel and a coffee you can spend upwards of $5.00 a day, that is $150 a month on breakfast, or if you just get coffee your looking at around $60 a month. I did the math and bought a Keurig.
I use two K-cups to fill my mug and it costs me about $1.10 a day or $31 a month. No matter how you cut it that is an awful lot of money saved not to be lazy and have someone else make it for me.
Rusty (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #14
gokart-mozart

Default But how was your Boston Kreme?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
How many times in that month period did you go to Dunkin Donuts in Wolfeboro? I ask that because if you went there enough times to make the 75-80% a big number, then you must be a glutton for punishment.

I'd rather skip breakfast then to eat at any fast food chain. I can't even pronounce some of the stuff that they put in their food.
Rusty, and all,

I get your point(s) re: hatin' on DD and the general unhealthfulness of fast food.

But, the question before the house is why is the PARTICULAR DD in Wolfeboro so uniquely bad?

I imagine if your cholesterol management genes are not aligned with the product in general, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Let's all enjoy a healthy breakfast today.
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 AM   #15
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
You'd be much better off to go around the corner to KATIE'S KITCHEN than deal with DD's. They're way overpriced anyway.

not sure if they have poppy seed bagels though!

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (03-27-2013)
Old 03-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #16
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Certainly not fine dining, and not expected to be so...

Quote:
Rusty, and all,

I get your point(s) re: hatin' on DD and the general unhealthfulness of fast food.

But, the question before the house is why is the PARTICULAR DD in Wolfeboro so uniquely bad?

I imagine if your cholesterol management genes are not aligned with the product in general, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

...but certainly there are DD's that have staff that is friendly and courteous. I frequented two DD's in Rochester NH on my way to work for several years...always a friendly hello and thank you, whether at the drive-thru or inside. Service was fast, friendly and courteous.

I can agree with the posters talking about the Wolfeboro store...I can't remember ever having a friendly encounter there. Only reason I can think of is that there is a bad attitude starting at the top, and flowing downhill. I doubt that any complaints to the owners, who may or may not be "locals", will change a thing. How they get away with it is simple: Some people like Starbucks, some like Green Mountain, some like DD's. If you are in Wolfeboro and not travelling to Ossipee, Alton, or Merideth, and you want DD coffee, guess what???? You go and get your coffee and move on.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #17
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
...but certainly there are DD's that have staff that is friendly and courteous. I frequented two DD's in Rochester NH on my way to work for several years...always a friendly hello and thank you, whether at the drive-thru or inside. Service was fast, friendly and courteous.
The best, most efficient, courteous and friendly Dunkin Donuts around is in Loudon, NH on route 106. They have their sh#t together there. Never a wait and always the right order in the bag.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #18
Rusty

Quote:
Rusty, and all,

I will never know because I'll never go there. But if you like what they serve and it is convenient for you to go there, then I would write the owner of the franchise and tell him/her what your experience with them has been in the past.

When a store serves eggs and vegetables and they don't even have a grill or chopping block, then probably most of what they serve comes in plastic buckets that was processed miles away from where it will be cooked and served. To do that the food needs to have preservatives that our bodies don't really need...mine anyway.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
When a store serves eggs and vegetables and they don't even have a grill or chopping block, then probably most of what they serve comes in plastic buckets that was processed miles away from where it will be cooked and served.
I assume you don't go to Subway either then.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #20
Argie's Wife

When you have the issues with your orders, bad service, etc., do you call their 1-800 number to complain or talk with the store manager?

Personally - I think the quality of DD has gone way down hill. The donuts used to be made on-site - no more. They used to make a killer Bismarck donut - that's now a thing of the past. I'm not a breakfast person but every now and then I want a good maple square or something - DD's falls short.

I'm with McDude - Karen's is a good place. Also, there's a little country store in Epsom, just barely off Route 28, that has excellent cider donuts and good Green Mt Roasters Coffee.

But the best place in the world for homemade donuts and great coffee is my kitchen! Can't beat the price or quality. The service can vary depending on how many cups of coffee the waitress (me) has been able to consume before anyone makes any demands on her.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #21
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I assume you don't go to Subway either then.
I ate there once (and never again) and had the Chicken Breast Patty sub. The meat had the texture of a sponge but had good flavor. The vegetables seemed fresh and blended good with the Chicken sponge.

The reason the Chicken had the texture of a sponge is because it is ground up with these ingredients:

CHICKEN BREAST PATTY...Chicken breast with rib meat, water, seasoning (corn syrup solids, vinegar powder [maltodextrin, modified corn starch and tapioca starch, dried vinegar], brown sugar, salt, dextrose, garlic powder, onion powder, chicken type flavor [hydrolyzed corn gluten, autolyzed yeast extract, thiamine hydrochloride, disodium inosinate and disodium guanylate]), sodium phosphates.

"rib meat" ???? I wonder how that is accomplished?

http://www.subway.com/Nutrition/File...ngredients.pdf
Old 03-27-2013, 12:25 PM   #22
Mirror Lake's BB

Default Weak Coffee, Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbreeze View Post
...and remember "America runs on Dunkin"
if so, holy s*#! we got problems!

No wonder our country is in such condition.
Maybe my taste has changed, but the couple of times a year I get DD's coffee on our trek north to the Lakes Region, it always seems too weak. Besides the point, America doesn't run on Dunkin and holy s*#! we still got problems!
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #23
Mr. V

I never could understand why people like DD, especially when there is much better coffee available.

Hello, Starbucks ...
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:38 PM   #24
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
The closest I'll come to fast food is Subway.
After my last blood test revealed high cholesterol, I have cut all fast food and as much processed food out of my diet as possible.
The things not discussed on a forum but you hear about, are more and more people having problems that are traced back to today's processed foods.
On the original post, I went out of my way to get a bagel last fall at the Wolfeboro D&D and it was not a good experience.
I cannot see how D&D stays in business. They sell coffee for 3 times what we can make it at home for. Between a bagel and a coffee you can spend upwards of $5.00 a day, that is $150 a month on breakfast, or if you just get coffee your looking at around $60 a month. I did the math and bought a Keurig.
I use two K-cups to fill my mug and it costs me about $1.10 a day or $31 a month. No matter how you cut it that is an awful lot of money saved not to be lazy and have someone else make it for me.
Fast food exists to meet the demands of busy people. The convenience and instant gratification of going through a drive thru fit the hectic schedules many have. By ordering strategically, one can get fast food for equal to or less than the cost to make it at home.

K-cups would scare me if I owned a DD franchise!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:06 AM   #25
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Fast food exists to meet the demands of busy people. The convenience and instant gratification of going through a drive thru fit the hectic schedules many have. By ordering strategically, one can get fast food for equal to or less than the cost to make it at home.

K-cups would scare me if I owned a DD franchise!
I totally understand about the whole fast food busy schedule, but even the so called healthy items are a hazard to ones health as many of those items are still considered processed foods. Processed foods are starting to be linked to certain cancers.
Yup I love my K-cups. Turn it on and make it while I'm getting lunch ready and when I walk out the door it is with coffee made the way I like it and the same time every time. That I can never get at D&D. Consistency....
Old 03-28-2013, 07:46 AM   #26
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Not trying to put down chain restaurants because there are some that I like a lot......just want to put a word in for family owned restaurants including our Village Kitchen.
Most of us don't have the slick marketing techniques that the big chains have but when you order a chicken sandwich you get fresh roasted real chicken meat....no chemicals,no preservatives......real chicken on fresh bread.
Ever wonder why the bread you buy in the market stays fresh for a week or more?Almost everthing you buy today,unless it is made from scratch,contains something you can't pronounce such as butylated nydroxytoluene (huh) sodium benzoate,sodium nitrate.They, sometimes,try to disguise them with initials like BHA,BHT etc.
Anyway,all of us little independants don't even have access to all of these chemicals and wouldn't use them if we did so if you want to eat fresh and healthy,you're much better off to eat at a family restaurant.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (03-28-2013), Charlie T (03-28-2013), eillac@dow (03-29-2013), Greene's Basin Girl (03-28-2013), Happy Gourmand (03-28-2013), Just Sold (03-29-2013), Mirror Lake's BB (03-28-2013), Newbiesaukee (03-28-2013), ronc4424 (03-29-2013), Sue Doe-Nym (03-28-2013), tis (03-28-2013), trfour (03-28-2013), Winnisquamguy (03-30-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #27
barefootbay

Yes I will agree the Wolfeboro DD is the worst in the country perhaps the world ! Alton runs a close second.
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #28
christo1

Default dunkin wolfeboro

I go to dunks down here in ma daily love their coffee and brew it at home on weekends. I have been to hundreds if not thousands of dunks and that one is the slowest and most consistantly bad one around.Thats why I go to lydia's when in town best ice coffee around.
christo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christo1 For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (03-30-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #29
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by christo1 View Post
I go to dunks down here in ma daily love their coffee and brew it at home on weekends. I have been to hundreds if not thousands of dunks and that one is the slowest and most consistantly bad one around.Thats why I go to lyndia's when in town best ice coffee around.
Ever wonder why just about every other chain around has lowered prices to attract business in this down economy, but D&D has done nothing to attract business.
That is just how attached people are to D&D and their overpriced coffee, IMHO.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:49 AM   #30
christo1

I work hard enough to justify 2.25 a day .I tried kuerig thought it tasted like cardboard. Too each his own.
christo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christo1 For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (03-30-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 03:36 PM   #31
jrc

Dunkin donuts is cheap when compared to Starbucks, plus DD tastes better. Starbucks just rolled out a lighter roast to try and compete with DD. Now Starbucks is good coffee but it's not DD.

But BR as a professional painter, you much understand that coffee prepared by professionals cost more than do-it-yourself coffee. And even among professionals, some guys try to be the low-ball, some the super premium and some middle of the road. Sometimes the premium guys live up to their higher pricing, sometimes they just rest on their rep and charge higher for a standard job.

I buy the DD K-cups and they are pretty good. Not as good as the store but better than the Green Mountain K-cups. They also cost twice as much as GM.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:46 PM   #32
Belmont Resident

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Dunkin donuts is cheap when compared to Starbucks, plus DD tastes better. Starbucks just rolled out a lighter roast to try and compete with DD. Now Starbucks is good coffee but it's not DD.

But BR as a professional painter, you much understand that coffee prepared by professionals cost more than do-it-yourself coffee. And even among professionals, some guys try to be the low-ball, some the super premium and some middle of the road. Sometimes the premium guys live up to their higher pricing, sometimes they just rest on their rep and charge higher for a standard job.

I buy the DD K-cups and they are pretty good. Not as good as the store but better than the Green Mountain K-cups. They also cost twice as much as GM.
What can one add to that, you covered it all!
Old 03-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #33
Greene's Basin Girl

Dunkin Donuts do run specials. I love their large ice-tea. Right now it is on special for 99 cents. Buying ice-tea from them can vary in taste. There are two places in NH and one in Maine where the ice tea is horrible. Yesterday I purchased a bad ice tea in Ft. Lauderdale. Today in New Smyrna Beach the ice tea was perfectly made.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #34
Billy Bob

If you can't swing a couple of bucks for a coffee then a lot more in your life is going wrong other then just Duncan donuts . Worrying about who has the cheapest coffee in town is a bit over the top
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:39 AM   #35
Belmont Resident

Default Bb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
If you can't swing a couple of bucks for a coffee then a lot more in your life is going wrong other then just Duncan donuts . Worrying about who has the cheapest coffee in town is a bit over the top
Actually it is about quality, consistency, customer service, etc.
As for the cost, some of us choose to spend our money more wisely then others do. Especially in these tough times. It has nothing to do with being cheap it is a personal preference. When I used to go to D&D I would almost never get my coffee made the same way twice in a week. Many have said the same thing. Before I gave up and started making my own I'd started going to Irving and filling my own mug for $1.10. I got the same exact coffee every day and if for some reason it wasn't the same it was my fault.
As for being cheap, and I'm not trying to start a pissing contest but I personally was buying it at D&D because I was to lazy to make it myself and in the end I save myself over half of what I'd spend at D&D.
So if we were labeling I'd rather be conscious of what I spend my money on then lazy.

Last edited by Belmont Resident; 03-31-2013 at 08:00 AM.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Belmont Resident For This Useful Post:
jenfa (04-05-2013), KPW (04-07-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 07:33 AM   #36
fpartri497

pretty expensive coffee at $110
Old 03-31-2013, 07:39 AM   #37
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default too funny!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpartri497 View Post
pretty expensive coffee at $110

For the lack of a decimal pint, BR has gone from a painter to an Artiste!!!!!

And not a starving artist!!!
Belmont Resident (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 08:01 AM   #38
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
For the lack of a decimal pint, BR has gone from a painter to an Artiste!!!!!

And not a starving artist!!!
I have no idea what your talking about!
Old 03-31-2013, 08:56 AM   #39
RailroadJoe

Trying to show picture of my new coffee shop.
Attached Images

RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (03-31-2013), Greene's Basin Girl (04-01-2013), RLW (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 11:25 AM   #40
codeman671

There is a dunkin donuts at the end of my road in dover. It is always pretty consistent. I don't drink coffee so I can't comment on that but the food is always decent for what it is.

The Rochester exit 14 one is on my way to work, sometimes I will end up there. Same quality, consistency, etc.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #41
Crusty

Default A Dunkin' Donuts horror story

I'd like to relate a true horror story that happened to me at the Alton
Dunkin' Donuts...

A couple of years ago I was in town to close-up camp. It was a crisp
autumn day --Halloween to be exact-- and I stopped by the Alton Dunkin'
Donuts for a doughnut and coffee.

The young man at the counter was strangely courteous and efficient in
filling my order. As he passed me my change, he smiled and wished me a
"Happy Halloween". I thought nothing of it and returned to my car.

Both the doughnut (a "long-john") and the coffee were deceptively good.
I remember regretting that I hadn't also ordered a cruller.

Absent-mindedly, I examined my receipt.

A chill swept over me and the hairs on the nape of my neck bristled.
The seemingly pleasant young man at the counter had dealt me a
devastating blow. For there on the receipt, without my asking for it,
was my first "senior discount". Oh, the horror! I know that doughnuts
are not the healthiest snack, but I never thought that a single
15-minute visit could turn a sprightly youth into a doddering old man.

I was depressed for a week (but I still like the doughnuts).
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (04-02-2013), jeffatsquam (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #42
Billy Bob

Default horror story

OH MY G-- !!! The same dam thing happened to me at a different DD . I was depressed , attempted to get the gray cut out of my hair but being bald made matters worse !! I even tried driving a " Younger " looking car I had access to but alas the jig was up and I kept getting the dreaded AARP treatment !!! About 30 days latter , as it happens at all DD stores, the staff changed and I was younger in the eyes of the new staff ( at least that's my story ) and the discount stopped .

However new problem , I kind of got used to the darn discount and frankly like the lower price . I will NOT however ask for my AARP discount !!
Talk about bad service , they have us ridding high one month only to find new ways to disappoint the next , I just cant face the disappointment and won't go back !! ( till tomorrow )
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #43
dowshill

a few comments, I believe DD gives a senior discount to anyone over 50, perhaps 55, but is is not 65, at least not in my town so take the discount and smile, even ask for it. Secondly, I too have gone the keurig route with the dd kcups, a nice compromise but since I don't have a keurig on the island, or even electricity at this point, I have always dreamed of dd running an island delivery service on weekends, kind of like the lobster guy. I gather from this
thread that this is not likely to happen, and more importantly, not really desirable. Oh well, my french press will serve me just fine.
dowshill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #44
searay220

In my opinion Honey Dew blows away DD with service,food and coffee. It's quicker for me to drive from Alton(near traffic circle) to the Honey Dew in Rochester (rt11) and back than to go to the DD right in Alton.
searay220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #45
Little Bear

Too bad someone doesn't open up a Tim Horton's around here. I first discovered them up in Canada many years ago, and now there's one I stop at in Topsham, Maine. Their coffee is excellent and their food is also very good. This place is 5 star dining compared to DD's.

http://www.timhortons.com/us/en/index.html
Little Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #46
Legionnaire70

Quote:
Originally Posted by searay220 View Post
In my opinion Honey Dew blows away DD with service,food and coffee. It's quicker for me to drive from Alton(near traffic circle) to the Honey Dew in Rochester (rt11) and back than to go to the DD right in Alton.
Hahaha! I wouldn't argue with you there, because you are correct!!
Legionnaire70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #47
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire70 View Post
Hahaha! I wouldn't argue with you there, because you are correct!!
Just curious, how expensive is that coffee?
Factoring in the gas and time it takes to get there, and back, that has got to be one expensive coffee.
I have not seen it mentioned but the gas station at the circle has home made sandwiches and green mountain coffee. I thought they were pretty good.