Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #1
winnifan

Default Sandy Point Disappointment

Went to Sandy Point Rest a few days ago. Food, as usual, top notch, and the addition of the "small" size meal has really made it affordable. However, the service is horrible. Our waitress, "Gracie", comes to our table for 4 (which we made reservations for at 11am that day) and states "just wanted to let you know we have several large parties, so you may want to get your order in quick, I can't control what happens"... WHAT DOES THAT MEAN??? we just looked at each other, and after only about 2 minutes with the menu in hand were very perplexed about what we should do.

Yes, there was a larger party in the middle, but you can't eliminate the importance of ALL parties when taking a table that will be tipping you.

The decor in the rest. is old and never updated. I've been coming to the area for 22 years. Sandy Point has the best seafood around, we look forward to it every year, but also as we go we tell ourselves that we can't expect much from the service or decor. Just sad that no one in management has decided that updating would be such a value to the customers. And a computerized receipt would be appreciated also, seems hard to read the check and know if you are being charged correctly. I used my iphone to check the numbers and "gracie" was very annoyed that I took the time to double check her??? Why would she care?

I also listened to "Gracie" tell the people behind us the same exact story (another party of 4). They ordered a small lobster and that seemed to bother her too and she says to them "that's a soft shell lobster, you probably should get the better one cause I really think you will end up returning it".. WHAT??? The person ordered it anyway, considering the prices are almost un reachable for most people, I think the less expensive options is what brings people back. When they ordered a "cosmo" she asked "straight up?" and the woman had no idea how to answer that.

I would like to note that "Gracie" was an older woman, and looked as if she had worked here for years. This is NOT the first time I've had poor service in this place, nor is it the first time I left feeling "cheated" (but full since the food is, as I said, best around). Time for management to step up. We were in and out in about 45 minutes. Yes, a good meal, but really rushed and made to feel that no one really cared one way or the other about us, cause the "large party" was there for her "tip" (which I still gave her BTW, as the food allowed us to feel somewhat satisfied all in all, and she benefited from that, My daughter said "too bad we can't tip the chef", GREAT POINT)

I doubt we will return next year. We will find better options, maybe the Lobster Pound, which seems to be decent, just expensive. I am tired of this place making me feel that I need 15 people to have a good over all experience, and really, the lakes region has lots of options. Shame on Sandy Point....
Old 08-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default to each their own.

First, Welcome to the Forum.

It seems that you have been going to Sandy Point for many years and have enjoyed the food. I happen to like the decor...kind of like nice old family cottages on the lake rather than 15-20 room homes, or larger. To each their own.

In my many years of dining out, I have always appreciated a waiter or waitress letting me know if there was one or more large parties in the restaurant. It tells me that if my table of 4's order goes into the kitchen after the 11 person table, my meal is going to take longer to come out. Kitchens are handling the orders on a first come, first serve basis. If your table of 4 order goes in after a table of 11 and a table of 9 or 10, you will have some extra time to spend in the dated surroundings.

Fear not...this is the Damon's last year running the Restaurant and if the Resort owners find someone to take over the Restaurant, they may agree on an update to the premises. Personally, I will miss the Damons, their food, and the decor.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I do hope you understand the other side of the coin. Hope the rest of your dining experiences are better for you.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnifan View Post
Went to Sandy Point Rest a few days ago. Food, as usual, top notch, and the addition of the "small" size meal has really made it affordable. However, the service is horrible. Our waitress, "Gracie", comes to our table for 4 (which we made reservations for at 11am that day) and states "just wanted to let you know we have several large parties, so you may want to get your order in quick, I can't control what happens"... WHAT DOES THAT MEAN??? we just looked at each other, and after only about 2 minutes with the menu in hand were very perplexed about what we should do.

Yes, there was a larger party in the middle, but you can't eliminate the importance of ALL parties when taking a table that will be tipping you.

The decor in the rest. is old and never updated. I've been coming to the area for 22 years. Sandy Point has the best seafood around, we look forward to it every year, but also as we go we tell ourselves that we can't expect much from the service or decor. Just sad that no one in management has decided that updating would be such a value to the customers. And a computerized receipt would be appreciated also, seems hard to read the check and know if you are being charged correctly. I used my iphone to check the numbers and "gracie" was very annoyed that I took the time to double check her??? Why would she care?

I also listened to "Gracie" tell the people behind us the same exact story (another party of 4). They ordered a small lobster and that seemed to bother her too and she says to them "that's a soft shell lobster, you probably should get the better one cause I really think you will end up returning it".. WHAT??? The person ordered it anyway, considering the prices are almost un reachable for most people, I think the less expensive options is what brings people back. When they ordered a "cosmo" she asked "straight up?" and the woman had no idea how to answer that.

I would like to note that "Gracie" was an older woman, and looked as if she had worked here for years. This is NOT the first time I've had poor service in this place, nor is it the first time I left feeling "cheated" (but full since the food is, as I said, best around). Time for management to step up. We were in and out in about 45 minutes. Yes, a good meal, but really rushed and made to feel that no one really cared one way or the other about us, cause the "large party" was there for her "tip" (which I still gave her BTW, as the food allowed us to feel somewhat satisfied all in all, and she benefited from that, My daughter said "too bad we can't tip the chef", GREAT POINT)

I doubt we will return next year. We will find better options, maybe the Lobster Pound, which seems to be decent, just expensive. I am tired of this place making me feel that I need 15 people to have a good over all experience, and really, the lakes region has lots of options. Shame on Sandy Point....
Winnifan:

There was a thread a couple of months ago that discussed the fact that the current management/owners of the Sandy Point Restaurant are retiring after this season and it is expected that a new team will be stepping in to run the retaurant next year. I have never dined at this establishment but apparently the current mangement team has been in charge since Jesus was a carpenter so the planned change will likely breath new life into the establishment.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Winnifan:

There was a thread a couple of months ago that discussed the fact that the current management/owners of the Sandy Point Restaurant are retiring after this season and it is expected that a new team will be stepping in to run the retaurant next year. I have never dined at this establishment but apparently the current mangement team has been in charge since Jesus was a carpenter so the planned change will likely breath new life into the establishment.
The owners of the Wolfeboro Diner are taking over Sandy Point next year.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
Jonas Pilot

Are they keeping the Wolfeboro Diner?

By the way, my welcome was facetious.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
Are they keeping the Wolfeboro Diner?

By the way, my welcome was facetious.
I believe they're selling it.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by diz View Post
I believe they're selling it.
That makes sense as there is more margin in lobsters than breakfast foods, so it is likely a better opportunity for them.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
Altonbayicefishingfool

Living in Alton Bay my whole life I just look at the "point" as a typical New England tourist trap. Get them in, get them out as quick as you can. That dining room is so small and all the tables are so close you need to scream across the table when trying to talk. I haven't dined here for years, there are far more places with just as good food and cheaper...A friend recently dined here and ordered the baked stuffed lobster, he paid over twenty something dollars for mostly buttered ritz crackers... Come on!
Old 08-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #9
lovetheforum

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post

It seems that you have been going to Sandy Point for many years and have enjoyed the food. I happen to like the decor...kind of like nice old family cottages on the lake rather than 15-20 room homes, or larger. To each their own.

In my many years of dining out, I have always appreciated a waiter or waitress letting me know if there was one or more large parties in the restaurant. It tells me that if my table of 4's order goes into the kitchen after the 11 person table, my meal is going to take longer to come out. Kitchens are handling the orders on a first come, first serve basis. If your table of 4 order goes in after a table of 11 and a table of 9 or 10, you will have some extra time to spend in the dated surroundings.

Fear not...this is the Damon's last year running the Restaurant and if the Resort owners find someone to take over the Restaurant, they may agree on an update to the premises. Personally, I will miss the Damons, their food, and the decor.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I do hope you understand the other side of the coin. Hope the rest of your dining experiences are better for you.
I agree. Her comment about the large party probably had less to do with the tip and more of a heads up that your meal would be taking a little longer to come out of the kitchen.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:25 AM   #10
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheforum View Post
I agree. Her comment about the large party probably had less to do with the tip and more of a heads up that your meal would be taking a little longer to come out of the kitchen.
So, does the staff give a heads up to a table who has sat down behind 2 or 3 other tables of 4?
Old 08-06-2012, 05:40 AM   #11
Belmont Resident

Default I agree

Quote:

I agree with you, it is one thing to have a bad food experience or to be treated poorly by the waitstaff. To say one doesn't like how someone else chooses to decorate is well kind of self centered.
I could see if it was dirty an grimy with possible cockroach problems.
This is New England and there is nothing wrong with old style decor to give a place it's own charm.
I think to many of the new eating places have no appeal at all with uncomfortable metal chairs ugly laminated tables.
We have only been once and I will admit it is the prices and distance that keep us away but to each their own.
From what I understand it has alway been very popular with lines out the door, for that reason alone you would not expect to be sitting around chatting while others wait for a table. Sit-eat-be gone. That is the way it is with any restaurant that turns out in volume.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #12
GTO

Default once again

Quote:

Once again, first time poster, beating up on an eating establishment. But complaining and actually using the womans name....pretty low. Sounds personal. and then of course just happening to mention going to the Lobster Pound next time. Really? And then the decor.....I hope you never go to Harts Turkey Farm if you are concerned about changing decor.
CGI3 (08-06-2012), diz (08-06-2012), RLW (08-06-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
winnifan

Quote:

I think my point was more in the attitude, in not so much that there was a large party in the establishment. I never minded the decor, although its dirty, so no matter what it looks like a clean cloth would be appreciated. I agree, there is a flip side to my story, and you seem to be someone that is in the "know" about being a waiter or waitress which always makes me a little leary of a response like that (although maybe you are just someone who has a liking to Sandy Point, which many people do, so no argument there), but really, her statement of "so I don't know what to tell you" then rushing our meals in and getting us out within 45 min was uncalled for. I made a reservation, so they were more than aware that my party of 4 would be there at the same time as that party of 11. Perhaps they should have taken more time to say to either me or the other party that we would need to change our times (which I would have had no problem doing). Its great food, just has never been a place to get great service. Sorry, my opinion, but its based on years of going there, and having waitress after waitress frustrated and looking overwhelmed. The food is all that keeps us going. So kudo's to their chef, and hopefully he stays when they retire, cause a little upkeep and maybe some new silverware along with this food could make this place and unbelievable find at the lake. Thanks for your input though, it did bring a different perspective, and yes, many people love the "old" look...
Old 08-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #14
winnifan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Once again, first time poster, beating up on an eating establishment. But complaining and actually using the womans name....pretty low. Sounds personal. and then of course just happening to mention going to the Lobster Pound next time. Really? And then the decor.....I hope you never go to Harts Turkey Farm if you are concerned about changing decor.
Been coming to the lake for many years, just found the forum. Will post lots now, just so I'm "valid" and if you want to keep the forum fresh and growing you wouldnt make such selfish comments like you "own" this forum because you have more posts, grow up. It wasn't personal, I don't know her, but I wanted to be sure everyone knew it was one waitress in particular this time. I tried to find a manager, but the place was too crowded and no one was stopping to see I was at the front trying to find one, so she gets her name mentioned, she must own it, and so should Sandy Point. Clearly they wanted us in and out, after paying our $100 bill.

LOVE HARTS, went 3 times for lunch and dinner, ITS CLEAN, and they have made progress in trying to accommodate their clientele, such as adding a great bar space, which we ate in and LOVED. Their food is very different from Sandy Point, and you are not paying as much so you expect a little different type of experience, stop comparing apples to oranges. Lobster Pound mentioned because they have seafood comparable to Sandy Point, not sure I know of any others that may fit that criteria, although there was a place called "THE WILLOWS" there a few years ago that was great food and good atmosphere and may have been in the same category, sorry to see they left.

Just my opinions here, and this is an experience we had. Its black and white, the service was horrible, and our waitress's name was Gracie. Sorry Gracie, you didn't make us feel very welcome with your "get in and out" greeting...
Old 08-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
Jonas Pilot

This web site has changed dramatically in the last year or so. At one time these type of posts would have been few and far between. In my opinion this site has become much less nice. Before, when persons would become members they would tell the forum a little about themselves like where they were from and where they like to stay. Most stories were of their love of Lake Winnipesaukee and the many different things they enjoyed doing whilst up in the Lakes Region. Now more often than not new members hide behind a complete vail of anonymity and say anything they want. Once there was an unwritten code of conduct. We treated each other in writing as we would in person. I really miss that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
LakeSnake (08-07-2012), RailroadJoe (08-06-2012), Ropetow (08-08-2012)
Old 08-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Resuarant Critics.

I thought I might chime in. I've been wanting to say something about this web site for a looong time.

First of all, I can't imagine complaining about a restaurant on your first visit. To each his or her own. Everyone is different and so are the restuarants. The restaurants can't please everybody and I don't expect them to. If I find a restaurant I like, I will visit them again.

The key to my criticism is consistency. If the food and service is as good as the last visit or better, they get my vote! If the quality goes down hill, then I hit the highway.

If the restuarant made a big mistake such as hair in my soup etc. I expect the restuarant to own up to it and make amends. That is the only way they get my vote. Customers are always right.

So move on! I've seen many restuarants fold because of poor quality and or lack of service. The few that been around for years are here for a reason, they satisfy somebody! Even if it is not you!
Old 08-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #17
Altonbayicefishingfool

In all honesty it is hard to find good dining these days..I was in the restaurant business from cook to manager for over 20 years.and yes I have bitched about a few establishments on here and some I have given good credit where credit is due. In this day and age it is very hard to find good restaurant help, both front of house and back. In a previous post someone hit the nail on the head that this waitress has probably been there since day 1. Could have been an "off" night, we all have them! Anyway, here is hope that new management may and probably will change things up a bit. Just my 2 cents
Old 08-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #18
bumble71

Default Oh Boy!

If the rumor holds true that the owners of the Wolfeboro Diner are going to be
the new management team at the "point", then don't waste your time
even making a reservation.

Just sayin...
Old 08-06-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas Pilot View Post
This web site has changed dramatically in the last year or so. At one time these type of posts would have been few and far between. In my opinion this site has become much less nice. Before, when persons would become members they would tell the forum a little about themselves like where they were from and where they like to stay. Most stories were of their love of Lake Winnipesaukee and the many different things they enjoyed doing whilst up in the Lakes Region. Now more often than not new members hide behind a complete vail of anonymity and say anything they want. Once there was an unwritten code of conduct. We treated each other in writing as we would in person. I really miss that.
JP:

I think you are viewing history with rose colored glasses. There have always been disagreements and spirited debate among members and this will likely always be the case. Recall the boating speed limit, Lobster Pound and boating death threads to name just a few that pop to mind. All of these were highly charged topics and all of them started well over a year ago.

I, like you, don't typically like first time posters who are overly critical of something such as a restaurant on their first post. That being said, I find Winnifan's comments and analysis to be well written and plausible. My guess is that this restaurant is probably not performing at its optimum level as the owners are just weeks away from a their long awaited retirement.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:00 AM   #20
Jonas Pilot

It's funny (not) that you bring up the two instances that started the change of personality in this site. After then it became easier for anyone to through stones. My memory is fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas Pilot For This Useful Post:
mcdude (09-18-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 07:57 AM   #21
lovetheforum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
So, does the staff give a heads up to a table who has sat down behind 2 or 3 other tables of 4?
Are you suggusting that it takes the same amount of time to prepare 4 meals as it does to prepare 11 meals? It seems to me that you do not understand the workings of a restaurant or simply don't care.

I also agree that some members only consider posts from seasoned members and disregard the rest. This should be a place that all thoughts and post are welcomed.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:06 AM   #22
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default I wasn't there...

Quote:
I think my point was more in the attitude, in not so much that there was a large party in the establishment. I never minded the decor, although its dirty, so no matter what it looks like a clean cloth would be appreciated. I agree, there is a flip side to my story, and you seem to be someone that is in the "know" about being a waiter or waitress which always makes me a little leary of a response like that (although maybe you are just someone who has a liking to Sandy Point, which many people do, so no argument there), but really, her statement of "so I don't know what to tell you" then rushing our meals in and getting us out within 45 min was uncalled for. I made a reservation, so they were more than aware that my party of 4 would be there at the same time as that party of 11. Perhaps they should have taken more time to say to either me or the other party that we would need to change our times (which I would have had no problem doing). Its great food, just has never been a place to get great service. Sorry, my opinion, but its based on years of going there, and having waitress after waitress frustrated and looking overwhelmed. The food is all that keeps us going. So kudo's to their chef, and hopefully he stays when they retire, cause a little upkeep and maybe some new silverware along with this food could make this place and unbelievable find at the lake. Thanks for your input though, it did bring a different perspective, and yes, many people love the "old" look...
...so I didn't hear the conversation. Never worked in a restaurant, nor would I want to. Too many hassles. It is not the reservation that counts, though, it is when the order hits the kitchen. Perhaps her tone is one reason for the problem. Admittedly, S.P. is a fast paced restaurant, but have mostly had waitstaff that seemed to handle the pace. Lucky, I guess. Wally, the chef, and his wife Jean are retiring, so it will no be the same chef. Thanks for your comments.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #23
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheforum View Post
Are you suggusting that it takes the same amount of time to prepare 4 meals as it does to prepare 11 meals? It seems to me that you do not understand the workings of a restaurant or simply don't care..
Uhhhh. . . no. . . I am suggesting that if there are two or three tables of 4 seated at very nearly the same time, the effects on the kitchen would be about the same if there were one table of 11 seated. . . if a restaurant has to "warn" guests that there are orders in front of them, well, DUH.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #24
lovetheforum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
Uhhhh. . . no. . . I am suggesting that if there are two or three tables of 4 seated at very nearly the same time, the effects on the kitchen would be about the same if there were one table of 11 seated. . . if a restaurant has to "warn" guests that there are orders in front of them, well, DUH.
I was not suggusting the server was in the right nor do I feel that she should have warned her guests. I was just pointing out having been in the industry that there is a difference between one large tables and several small ones in regards on how the kitchen puts out the meals.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #25
phoenix

we go every year with two other couples that we have known for 30 years. We all always order the king baked and all of us found it again to be great( except the price went up) . so yes the decor is old but quite frankly that is not why we go. So kind of like " same time next year" hopefully the new team will continue and we will continue to go
Old 09-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #26
GTO

Default still waiting

Quote:
Been coming to the lake for many years, just found the forum. Will post lots now, just so I'm "valid" and if you want to keep the forum fresh and growing you wouldnt make such selfish comments like you "own" this forum because you have more posts, grow up. It wasn't personal, I don't know her, but I wanted to be sure everyone knew it was one waitress in particular this time. I tried to find a manager, but the place was too crowded and no one was stopping to see I was at the front trying to find one, so she gets her name mentioned, she must own it, and so should Sandy Point. Clearly they wanted us in and out, after paying our $100 bill.

LOVE HARTS, went 3 times for lunch and dinner, ITS CLEAN, and they have made progress in trying to accommodate their clientele, such as adding a great bar space, which we ate in and LOVED. Their food is very different from Sandy Point, and you are not paying as much so you expect a little different type of experience, stop comparing apples to oranges. Lobster Pound mentioned because they have seafood comparable to Sandy Point, not sure I know of any others that may fit that criteria, although there was a place called "THE WILLOWS" there a few years ago that was great food and good atmosphere and may have been in the same category, sorry to see they left.

Just my opinions here, and this is an experience we had. Its black and white, the service was horrible, and our waitress's name was Gracie. Sorry Gracie, you didn't make us feel very welcome with your "get in and out" greeting...

Still waiting for "more posts to make you valid".
Old 09-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #27
no-engine

Quote:
Still waiting for "more posts to make you valid".
Folks, it's unfortunate that a poster is critiqued by the number of previous posts.
I was not happy with things on this forum; I changed my account/user name, making me start at zero quite a while back.

Did the ZERO make all of you not trust comments I may have made???
All I say is very unfair to make judgements. I don't remember my previous user name, and that's very intentional.

If I am not educated about a topic, I make no comments. Bye, bye.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to no-engine For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (09-17-2012), VitaBene (09-17-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #28
Argie's Wife

Thumbs up I'd give Sandy Point a thumbs up for character & good food

Not to get off-topic, no-engine, but I think that maybe posters here are a little leery of seeing someone with a few posts coming online, straight into the restaurant review forum, and writing a bad review.

We've had more than one poster who has come here for that reason alone - to trash an establishment, and leave. We had one that was a down-right troll and only here to cause problems.

Drive-by postings.

I don't think that's the case here...

We've had similar reviews of Sandy Point here before - outdated decor, pricy menu, etc. Use the search function of the site - you'll find them.

For the record, I finally set foot in Sandy Point just this year! I found it to be dated, but like upthesaukee, I like that look. It's like going to an old camp. I'd rather the owners spend their money on quality food and service, than decor. Alton Bay isn't exactly the Ritz and besides, you can't eat the decor. My first reason for going out to eat is that I want good food that I didn't have to cook myself!

All in all, I'd go back.

My point is that this all opinion - every bit of it. I find it interesting that posters review the poster who started the thread - perhaps looking for 'ulterior motives' for a poor review? Who knows....? Can't control what happens here, can we?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (09-18-2012), Jonas Pilot (09-18-2012), Lakewinn1 (09-21-2012), no-engine (09-18-2012), secondcurve (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #29
GTO

Default Just saying....

Quote:
Originally Posted by no-engine View Post
Folks, it's unfortunate that a poster is critiqued by the number of previous posts.
I was not happy with things on this forum; I changed my account/user name, making me start at zero quite a while back.

Did the ZERO make all of you not trust comments I may have made???
All I say is very unfair to make judgements. I don't remember my previous user name, and that's very intentional.

If I am not educated about a topic, I make no comments. Bye, bye.
The original poster (first time poster) bashed the place and even named names (weak). And then in the post to defend himself, said he would now "post lots". to make himself "valid". And since then,,,,,not one post, about anything. If it quacks like a duck.......
Old 09-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #30
jrc

Ain't this all kind moot, since next season the restaurant will have entirely new management? We can bash the overly good or bad reviews then. I'm eager to see if they change the place.

We need another good place in Alton Bay. Pop's is good but not a sit down place, and Shibley's is hit or miss.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #31
no-engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Not to get off-topic, no-engine, but I think that maybe posters here are a little leery of seeing someone with a few posts coming online, straight into the restaurant review forum, and writing a bad review.

We've had more than one poster who has come here for that reason alone - to trash an establishment, and leave. We had one that was a down-right troll and only here to cause problems.

Drive-by postings.

I don't think that's the case here...

We've had similar reviews of Sandy Point here before - outdated decor, pricy menu, etc. Use the search function of the site - you'll find them.

For the record, I finally set foot in Sandy Point just this year! I found it to be dated, but like upthesaukee, I like that look. It's like going to an old camp. I'd rather the owners spend their money on quality food and service, than decor. Alton Bay isn't exactly the Ritz and besides, you can't eat the decor. My first reason for going out to eat is that I want good food that I didn't have to cook myself!

All in all, I'd go back.

My point is that this all opinion - every bit of it. I find it interesting that posters review the poster who started the thread - perhaps looking for 'ulterior motives' for a poor review? Who knows....? Can't control what happens here, can we?
Very logical!!!
Old 09-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #32
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Ain't this all kind moot, since next season the restaurant will have entirely new management? We can bash the overly good or bad reviews then. I'm eager to see if they change the place.

We need another good place in Alton Bay. Pop's is good but not a sit down place, and Shibley's is hit or miss.
Pop's isn't a sit-down-and-get-waited-on type of place but the dining room area and the deck above it is nice. At least, it was for us until one of the Arglets let rip from the upper deck with the Pop's Clam Shell frisbee that came with his meal, and hit a car going up Rt 11 with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
jrc (09-21-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 09:23 PM   #33
RLW

Smile

Thanks for the chuckle. I love the part of one Frisbee headed across RT 11. What did mom & dad have to say about that one???
Old 09-22-2012, 04:18 AM   #34
Diver Vince

Great meal last evening at The Point. Sorry to see an era ending and we wanted to go back once more before they closed in a couple of weeks. Service was impeccable from our waitress "Amy" as was the food. We'll see what happens in the spring.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:47 PM   #35
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
Thanks for the chuckle. I love the part of one Frisbee headed across RT 11. What did mom & dad have to say about that one???
Between exclamations of disbelief, comments about insurance coverage, and just thanking our lucky stars that the driver didn't stop to chew us out, or worse... I think we pretty much vowed we'd eat in the enclosure (downstairs) next time!

Back on topic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Vince View Post
Great meal last evening at The Point. Sorry to see an era ending and we wanted to go back once more before they closed in a couple of weeks. Service was impeccable from our waitress "Amy" as was the food. We'll see what happens in the spring.
When do they close for good, Diver?
Old 09-26-2012, 05:35 AM   #36
Diver Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post

When do they close for good, Diver?
I believe Oct 7th is the last day.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #37
benzguy

Default Sandy point

Have not been their for a few years. I remember
you could get an excellent piece of prime
rib and lobster with a salad and potato for
$18.95. I have heard that those prices no
longer exist. How could they? Anyway, I just have
Not heard much lately. I miss the old days.
Old 10-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #38
winnifan

Quote:
The original poster (first time poster) bashed the place and even named names (weak). And then in the post to defend himself, said he would now "post lots". to make himself "valid". And since then,,,,,not one post, about anything. If it quacks like a duck.......
WAH WAH WAH WAH WAH... this is a meanie posting only once so he/she isn't valid and I don't like people playing in my sandbox.... REALLY?????

I've been posting under different names, just for the fun of it.. I am on this site many times a week and read all the rediculous posts about Sandy Point. I don't need to justify myself to you or any other of the "bullies" on this site. I posted right after that original post explaining that I've been going to the Lakes Region for 30 years. I again don't have to validate it here.People like you are fools who want to bully people into thinking only your thoughts and opinions matter cause you have no life other than to be posting here. I am writing today, cause I'm just sick of the entire site, and will start reporting you all just to make your lives miserable. You don't own this site. Sandy Point was a horrible experience for us. If you like it great, I've gone to that restaurant about 20 times in the past several years, and each time it was a horrible experience. In most cases I was with large family parties and other people so it wasn't my plan, but this time will be my last. That is why I wrote it. I was fed up with paying $40 plus for a dinner and being treated bad by the service. And btw, even though there are no visible cockroaches, there were large and small flies and dead bugs in the windowsills. Funny cause those are pretty much the same dead bugs I've seen over the years. So my post was "justified" imho and again, who do you all think you are that complain when someone posts something just because its only once "quacks like a duck"... REALLLY??????? What does that mean, its a review website, with no "minimum post requirements" unless I missed something when I signed up???? wah wah wah, its my ball and I'm going home..........
Old 10-29-2012, 06:58 PM   #39
RailroadJoe

Boy are you off the beaten path. Nice thoughts will outweigh bad thoughts many times over. Be nice it really wont hurt.
The Following User Says Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (10-30-2012)
Old 10-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #40
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
Boy are you off the beaten path. Nice thoughts will outweigh bad thoughts many times over. Be nice it really wont hurt.
They just made themselves look twice as bad as the one they were criticizing.
Although I do agree this forum is and has been going down hill for several years now.
I'm doing work for another who monitors and posts and we were just commenting on how bad it is getting.