Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-10-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Mackris Lobster and Steak House???

So someone please fill me in about Mackris on Rte 106 in Concord... I have been there a couple times just for drinks but never had the food. Is it any good?? The place seems always packed. We drive by it many times but never stop in to eat. Am I missing out or what??

Thanks!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Seafood

I had their seafood and it is very good. Large portions.

I have not experience their steak.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:45 AM   #3
jmen24

Dan
Makris is one of my favorite resturants, for seafood, drinks and steak. As mentioned the portions are good, the service is great and the atmosphere in the resturant is nice. The prime rib is excellent as is the French Onion Soup, it has a pool of brady in the center of the cheese over a bread slice, not cubes. This is a must stop in my opinion if you have not tried the resturant side.

I will make the disclaimer that I am old friends with one of the owners daughters. But I have lived in the area my entire life and it has always been good, even back in the Lobster Pool days. Give it a try, you will not regret it.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmen24 For This Useful Post:
Reilly (09-24-2012)
Old 07-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #4
EricP

Great place to eat, have been there many times and always enjoyed the food.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EricP For This Useful Post:
Reilly (09-24-2012)
Old 07-10-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
fpartri497

Default makris steak & lobster house

since I live only two miles from makris, I have been eating there frequently for many years. never had a bad meal there. allways been happy

Old 07-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
Paugus Bay Lake Girl

Default Great Place

You'll love this place. It's clean, the service is outstanding, the prices are good. Once you try it.. you'll be hooked.
Paugus Bay Lake Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default I'm In!!

O.K.... Looks like I have been really missing out! Next time we go by (should be this week) we are going to try the food!

Thanks!!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:22 AM   #8
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Makris Lobster & Steak House

We will have to try Makris Lobster & Steak House on the way to the lake. Their menu looks great!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #9
MaidenCove07

Thumbs down VERY Disappointed

Well we stopped into the Makris last evening on the way to the Winni.... Sadly, it didn't stack up even a little to the hype.

We sat in the bar, which we usually do as we're ALWAYS dressed casually once the work week stops. Our bartender/server was very friendly but distracted, and the food and atmosphere was less than OK.

The patrons on either side of us were deep into their evening drunk and were still being served....the first bad sign as far as I'm concerned. When an establishment risks the safety of their patrons and others by over-serving, it means they take many other risks I don't want to know about. 3 beers later for the woman on our left, we mentioned to the server that she was really a mess and the woman was finally shut off, resulting in her storming out, getting into her jeep and DRIVING away. Heaven hopes she didn't kill someone on the way to wherever she was headed next.

Now for the food....as I'd never been to Makris before, I was pleasantly surprised about the soup bar they offered with all entrees in the menu. I love a good cup of chowder before my meal. I ordered baked combo of haddock and scallops, my friend ordered Haddock Au Gratin.
We got some AMAZING hot rolls to start off and they were by far the best part of the meal. I headed off to the soup bar to also find some cold salads as well. I selected the corn and clam chowder, pasta salad and pickled beets. All I could taste was the flour thickener in the chowder...it looked so good, but tasted so awful. So I tried the French Onion, no thickener needed....well, there was some spice in it that was too overpowering, it even left a spicy hot feeling on my tongue. The pasta salad had no flavor, but the beets were pretty good.

The broiled seafood combo was eatable and I loved that they brought me a huge bottle of tartar sauce for my scallops, but I got 6 bones in the fish, one of them was a big one.

The haddock au gratin ended up going back to the kitchen - the sauce had the same flavor as the chowder and the haddock was undercooked. The cook came back and said that the kitchen had forgotten to stir the sauce and to please try it again. My friend ate it, embarrassed that she'd been put on the spot, but said later that it tasted exactly like the first batch, but at least the fish was cooked this time. She too found many bones in the fish.

Overall it's ranked a 2 out of 10 - they get a point for great rolls served hot and a bonus point for having my favorite bear on tap (Longboard by Kona). They must be able to do something right as they've been there for as long as I can remember, but we're not impressed even a little. We'll not be back. Too many other exceptional restaurants closer to the lake where we can trust the kitchen and the bartenders.
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #10
BroadHopper

Default Have not sat in the bar area.

This is good to know. I do agree with MaidenCove. I'm just surprise that they had an 'off night'.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:32 AM   #11
jmen24

I am really suprised by this account. Over serving a patron is not cool and the food quality is what really suprises me, but off nights do happen and given the track record with this resturant.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Default Off night?

They may had an off night but I think they handled the situation terribly.

A woman in my party of six, somehow bit down what looks like a needle in her seafood chowder. She was lucky she did not prick her mouth. The waitress apoligize and did not make an effort to replace the remaining soup with a fresh batch or remove the soup.
Another woman in the party who is 88 years old ask for an extra roll, the waitress charged us an extra dollar for the roll.
I question the waitress why we were charged for the seafood chowder when it was 'defective' with a needle and the charge for the roll. The waitress replied she can't refund money on orders and that management requires a charge for extra rolls.
I ask for the manager, it took him a while to see me, as if I will probably forget it and walk out. I explain the situations to him and his response is he stands by the waitress and they have a no refund policy.

I may be wrong, but they should have at least refund the soup. I have never visit a restaurant that charged for an extra roll.

Is this a sign of the time? Or is this bad practice?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #13
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
They may had an off night but I think they handled the situation terribly.

A woman in my party of six, somehow bit down what looks like a needle in her seafood chowder. She was lucky she did not prick her mouth. The waitress apoligize and did not make an effort to replace the remaining soup with a fresh batch or remove the soup.
Another woman in the party who is 88 years old ask for an extra roll, the waitress charged us an extra dollar for the roll.
I question the waitress why we were charged for the seafood chowder when it was 'defective' with a needle and the charge for the roll. The waitress replied she can't refund money on orders and that management requires a charge for extra rolls.
I ask for the manager, it took him a while to see me, as if I will probably forget it and walk out. I explain the situations to him and his response is he stands by the waitress and they have a no refund policy.

I may be wrong, but they should have at least refund the soup. I have never visit a restaurant that charged for an extra roll.

Is this a sign of the time? Or is this bad practice?
Wow that is crazy, charging extra for a roll? Then not refunding you for soup with a possible health hazard in it.
We went once and although the food wasn't bad it wasn't anything to rave about either.
FYI MacDonald's started charging extra for dipping sauce.