Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-16-2016, 05:15 PM   #1
RUGMAN

Default cable tv connection

This is my situation, Had renovation done to my home, Plan on Tv mounted above new fireplace, electrician ran power and cable wire up to come out behind TV, mason came in and did a great job with stone face, Problem is electrician did not run a HDMi cable up there he ran cable box wire, My thought was to mount cable box on wall behind TV, this would not only get me a short shot of HDMI to tv, but also keep box out of site. Spoke to Metrocast, the person on phone wasn't sure that would work, said box is large 6inch x 8inch by 1 inch. I did not think that was that big, has anyone had a situation like this, Any thoughts??
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:23 PM   #2
DBreskin

Can you pull a HDMI cable through using a fish wire?
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 05:28 PM   #3
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,966 Times in 1,214 Posts

Your TV should be capable of using cable cards which would only require the cable wire already there. The alternative is to pull the cable plug.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 06:03 PM   #4
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGMAN View Post
This is my situation, Had renovation done to my home, Plan on Tv mounted above new fireplace, electrician ran power and cable wire up to come out behind TV, mason came in and did a great job with stone face, Problem is electrician did not run a HDMi cable up there he ran cable box wire, My thought was to mount cable box on wall behind TV, this would not only get me a short shot of HDMI to tv, but also keep box out of site. Spoke to Metrocast, the person on phone wasn't sure that would work, said box is large 6inch x 8inch by 1 inch. I did not think that was that big, has anyone had a situation like this, Any thoughts??
I did this for a TV in our bedroom. I can add a pic later if you want, but basically what I did was add a square aluminum tube as a spacer between the TV and the wall-mount bracket that attaches to the back of the TV.

The cable box sits flat against the back of the TV, and catches the IR signals fine, but most boxes also allow you to add an external IR receiver in case they are hidden and can't "see" the IR signal.

You could also do these: https://www.amazon.com/single-75ohm-.../dp/B00HWIWEMU but they're a bit pricey.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:30 PM   #5
Lakeboater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGMAN View Post
If the box is only one inch wide you shouldn't have any problem burying it behind the tv. I have done this a few times and the boxes were thicker than an inch. Remember that the tv will be angled down for viewing which makes for more room behind the top half of tv. Also, some boxes are RF and don't need to see remote. Good luck with the install.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2016, 04:30 AM   #6
thinkxingu

Does the lakes region not offer cable cards? Why are y'all still using boxes?! The single only reason I can see to use a box is for DVR capability, but with so much streaming capability those are almost useless.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:54 AM   #7
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,015 Times in 921 Posts

Do a google search for wireless HDMI and variations on the search words. There are many products, none of which I have experience with.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 07:12 AM   #8
webmaster

Thanked 3,730 Times in 826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Does the lakes region not offer cable cards? Why are y'all still using boxes?! The single only reason I can see to use a box is for DVR capability, but with so much streaming capability those are almost useless.
Very few of us have TVs that support cable cards and the industry seems to want to shelve it entirely:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/dept-of-d...464415197.html
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Very few of us have TVs that support cable cards and the industry seems to want to shelve it entirely:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/dept-of-d...464415197.html
That's two years old. Comcast still very much supports them, and I thought almost all digital sets had CableCard slots?

Old 06-18-2016, 06:41 AM   #10
Merrymeeting

In the reasonably near future, set-top-boxes will have gone the way of the CD, VCR, and other obsolete electronic devices.

http://www.pcmag.com/news/345376/cab...t-top-box-plan

http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/21/tech...app/index.html
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:42 AM   #11
TheProfessor

"everything is wireless"

That's what all my peers keep telling me.

Yet when they build a new house or remodel a home when all is completed they always ask me to "help run a wire". Something missed in this "wireless" world.

I have attended the NAHB LINK multiple times. And also the EHX (electronic house) trade show multiple times.

Wires are still required and needed.
I advise all to run an flexible conduit or Smurf tube LINK to an empty covered receptacle box from TV area to receiver area for future proofing electronics/TV's.

Yes much is wireless now. But nothing beats a hard wired component.

I have wireless and Bluetooth on much of my electronic components but still use wires for most.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 07:56 AM   #12
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Wireless

I am pretty much off cable tv.

Using a laptop, I 'stream' contents from NPTV, Netflix, YouTube et al to my smart tv. The TV is essentially a flat screen monitor.

This will be the future. I sense the revenue from cable will be gone and the cable companies will become IPs. To assure revenue to the stockholders I predict enormous hikes in IP subscriptions. I guess we will never win!
Old 06-21-2016, 09:39 AM   #13
SIKSUKR

If you still want to you should be able to pull an hdmi cable through using the existing coax. I've done that a few times.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:55 AM   #14
Gatto Nero

Direct TV uses a very small box for the secondary locations.

Wireless Genie Mini (Model C41W)

Dimensions
Height: 1.02 in, Width: 5.91 in,
Depth, 3.66 in
Old 06-21-2016, 04:17 PM   #15
longislander

Presuming "wired v. wireless"; 5.G (wireless) and G.fast (wired) in about 3-5 years, 2017 fun begins.

"ISP/cable" box to TV is issue, not from the street; FTTH or coax or Sat from outside of house.

In house, co-ax or fiber to box, wired from street, probably coax or fiber , to house.; box HDMI to TV HDMI for best viewing.

You don't need HDMI from the street, nor does it exist!

Roku box, etc., for streaming v. "cable"; "broadband" v. "cable" (cut the cord).

That presumes 5.G and/or G.Fast don't make this thread obsolete except for ... ISP box to TV in a few years!

Electrical and ISP run to ISP/cable "box" is all that is needed. HDMI from "box" to TV shouldn't be a problem! Make it shielded!
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #16
Orion

Default just a cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero View Post
Direct TV uses a very small box for the secondary locations.
If you have a newer DirecTV-Ready TV with the built-in tuner, you only need an ethernet cable running to the TV from the main DirecTV Genie receiver anywhere in the house. I have that setup on my Sony 4K TV and watch 4K movies through DirecTV as well as Amazon, Netflix, and UltraFlix.

Last edited by Orion; 06-22-2016 at 09:15 AM. Reason: typo
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:46 AM   #17
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

None of the 4 HDTV's I've purchased in the last 2 years have supported CableCards. I had an older 42" plasma TV from ~2004 that supported CableCard.

The tuning standards have also changed in some cable systems, so older TV's with CableCard slots may not work on modern systems anyway.

CableCard also wouldn't give you access to some features like on-demand, depending on the system.

Overall CableCard is mostly dying out.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:00 AM   #18
longislander

Most newer TV's are "smart" TV and are internet ready. Just hook-up the internet line right to the TV (coax connector). In essence, a built-in streaming box. The presumption is internet availability.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:41 AM   #19
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander View Post
Most newer TV's are "smart" TV and are internet ready. Just hook-up the internet line right to the TV (coax connector). In essence, a built-in streaming box. The presumption is internet availability.
This won't work for viewing anything related to a cabletv subscription.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:52 AM   #20
longislander

Quote:
This won't work for viewing anything related to a cabletv subscription.
Correct.

Streaming and what is becoming available via the internet, e.g. Roku box with HBO-GO, Showtime, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. is challenging "cable", notwithstanding the same cable companies being the ISP's providing the internet access.