Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-29-2009, 07:29 PM   #1
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts
Default Ice Safety

Now that it is almost time for the ice to start coming in, I thought I would start an ice safety thread.

Please chime in!

Here is my tip- carry ice picks (home made or store bought) http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/index.html
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
trfour (11-30-2009)
Old 11-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #2
Bear Islander

The Bear Island website has a page on safe ice thickness and rescue.

http://www.bearisland.org/ice_safety_information.htm
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bear Islander For This Useful Post:
SIKSUKR (12-02-2009)
Old 11-29-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
Rattlesnake Guy

Can we assemble a map that shows the typical open water spots?

Is it statistically consistent?
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:14 AM   #4
Blue Thunder

Default A little early.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Now that it is almost time for the ice to start coming in, I thought I would start an ice safety thread.

Please chime in!

Here is my tip- carry ice picks (home made or store bought) http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/safety/ice/index.html
Always a good idea to be thinking about ice safety, but you won't have to worry about it for at least 30-45 days.

BT
Old 11-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Exclamation Or Sub Titled "SKIMMING"

[QUOTE=VitaBene;113221]Now that it is almost time for the ice to start coming in, I thought I would start an ice safety thread.

We in Moultonboro have a lock on 2 of the most dangerous spots for Skimming or just plain RIDING.

We start at Greens Basin. Heading down out of the Basin the first Skimming spot is between Greens Basin, Goodwin Island and Hanson Cove. Most years the area is always open.

Probably the most notorious open water area is just down from the Basin at Marker 52 between Bryant's Point and Richardson Shores. Usually there is around 150' of open water. There have been numerous sinking's there with a fatality back in January of 2006 which was recorded by a home owner from his deck with a video camera. This was a deliberate attempt by several riders to skim the open water. Unfortunately this one fellow did not make it.

The other problem that happens in both of these areas is riders late at night following tracks in the snow, they realizing too late that they are now facing open water.

There was an incident several years ago at Bryant's Point where a group of three or four riders went into the water. All were able to get out safely, make a call to the police and rescue services. Paramedics check them and all went home.

An hour later another group of riders followed the same set of tracks and met the same fate. Fortunately they were also rescued.

We used to have a map of all the "HOT SPOTS" (AREAS that NEVER Froze) around the Lake where in most winters would never ice over. With all of the litigation today were are forced to discontinue distributing the maps and to make a broad general statement that basically says you are on your own when riding on ice covered bodies of water.

Last edited by WINNOCTURN; 12-02-2009 at 02:49 PM.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WINNOCTURN For This Useful Post:
townsde (12-07-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2009, 06:21 PM   #6
Bear Islander

"Skimming" over open water is against the law.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/News...ing_122004.htm

So it isn't surprising that maps showing where to do it are no longer distributed.
beanman (12-05-2009)
Old 11-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear islander View Post
"skimming" over open water is against the law.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/news...ing_122004.htm

so it isn't surprising that maps showing where to do it are no longer distributed.

The maps were not intended to show were you could skim. They were there to show those unfamiliar with the lake where these dangerous spots were and how to avoid riding into them. They were purely a “safety tool”. No one in any organized snowmobiling group condones skimming.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to WINNOCTURN For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (12-01-2009), ishoot308 (12-01-2009), jeffatsquam (11-30-2009), LIforrelaxin (12-07-2009), Rattlesnake Guy (11-30-2009), secondcurve (11-30-2009), trfour (12-01-2009), VitaBene (12-01-2009), wifi (11-30-2009)
Old 11-30-2009, 07:38 PM   #8
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
The Bear Island website has a page on safe ice thickness and rescue.

http://www.bearisland.org/ice_safety_information.htm
Ya know, I was thinking the same thing. Isn't this a "map" for skimming?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:18 PM   #9
fatlazyless

Can't wait till January 15th or so, about 45-days, to get out on the Lake Winnipesaukee ice? Wait no more....the Waterville Valley Ice Arena www.watervillevalley.org/wvnh_icearena.html is open for hockey, figure and just plain skating in big circles.

Ice skating and ice hockey is a good way to get into shape for those long snowmobile rides from Meredith and up to Errol NH, to see the "Great White Moose."

For ICE SAFETY, they offer free of additional charge, these stand-up frame holders which resemble an invalid walker that glides across the ice and supports one individual skater. Comes in adult and junior sizes......& is A great skate!

The Ice Arena is huge, air conditioned heated, Zambonied, Muzaked and until next year still the home ice for the Plymouth State University Panthers hockey team at which time the State of NH will have completed the new $14-mil ice arena in Plymouth for P.S.U.

Hey, the State could have saved $14-mil by continuing to use nearby WV-Ice, but when you are the State of NH........money means nuth'n! After about 19 years of making the 20-mile drive from Plymouth to WV....they wanted their very own ice arena.....and money talks....ok....make that a 30-minute drive....big deal....14-mil and the State is now broke....no kidd'n...but I digress here....

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-30-2009 at 09:53 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
Bear Islander

[QUOTE=WINNOCTURN;113292]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post

We in Moultonboro have lock on 2 of the Best spots for Skimming.

We start at Greens Basin. Heading down out of the Basin the first Skimming spot is between Greens Basin, Goodwin Island and Hanson Cove. Most years the area is always open.

Probably the most notorious open water area is just down from the Basin at Marker 52 between Bryant's Point and Richardson Shores. Usually there is around 150' of open water. There have been numerous sinking's there with a fatality back in January of 2006 which was recorded by a home owner from his deck with a video camera. This was a deliberate attempt by several riders to skim the open water. Unfortunately this one fellow did not make it.

The other problem that happens in both of these areas is riders late at night following tracks in the snow, they realizing too late that they are now facing open water.

There was an incident several years ago at Bryant's Point where a group of three or four riders went into the water. All were able to get out safely, make a call to the police and rescue services. Paramedics check them and all went home.

An hour later another group of riders followed the same set of tracks and met the same fate. Fortunately they were also rescued.

We used to have a map of all the "HOT SPOTS" around the Lake where in most winters would never ice over. With all of the litigation today were are forced to discontinue distributing the maps and to make a broad general statement that basically says you are on your own when riding on ice covered bodies of water.
Your post is talking about the "Best spots for Skimming" and Moultonboro having the "Best" two.

If your intent was to condemn skimming, then you chose your words poorly.
WINNOCTURN (12-01-2009)
Old 12-01-2009, 09:16 AM   #11
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Thumbs up Please Do Not Skim Open Waters, You Could Die Doing IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post

The maps were not intended to show were you could skim. They were there to show those unfamiliar with the lake where these dangerous spots were and how to avoid riding into them. They were purely a “safety tool”. No one in any organized snowmobiling group condones skimming.
I would like to thank Bear Islander, Pineedles and Fatlazyless for keeping this thread so active. Last night at 7:00pm there were only 58 hits, this morning the count is up to 332. I'll bet that by noon time it will be over 500?

Thanks again.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:58 PM   #12
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

[QUOTE=Bear Islander;113323]
Quote:

Your post is talking about the "Best spots for Skimming" and Moultonboro having the "Best" two.

BI, I know Winnocturn (George) is an officer of the Mboro snomo club and does not condone skimming. It was a wording thing.

Let's all be safe out there!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
WINNOCTURN (12-02-2009)
Old 12-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #13
SIKSUKR

[QUOTE=Bear Islander;113323]
Quote:

Funny how people see things two different ways. I thought he was pointing out the dangerous areas. Best was probably not the right wording though.
6meter (12-10-2009), WINNOCTURN (12-02-2009)
Old 12-02-2009, 07:54 PM   #14
Pineedles

Quote:
I would like to thank Bear Islander, Pineedles and Fatlazyless for keeping this thread so active. Last night at 7:00pm there were only 58 hits, this morning the count is up to 332. I'll bet that by noon time it will be over 500?

Thanks again.
I'm still not sure whether I should put my boxing gloves on? Were we criticized for our posts?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #15
beanman

Default Skimming is against the law - but -

It is a lot of fun and safe within reason. Unfortunately, like in every recreational sport, not everyone is reasonable and therefore, it's now against the law. Don't get me wrong, I understand the rational and if you sink, you should be prepared to address the environmental cleanup - but - I wouldn't mind a 50 footer now and then without being concerned about a ticket from an over zealous ticket writer..... The key point is being "reasonable"....

Beanman

Last edited by beanman; 12-05-2009 at 06:20 PM.
beanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #16
townsde

Default Meridith Bay Area

I am new to riding in the Meredith area. Are there any areas in Meredith Bay area which normally have open water when the rest of the lake is well frozen?

Thanks for the post on the open water areas in the Greens Basin area. I probably wont be up in that area but I will keep it in mind.
townsde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:35 PM   #17
6meter

Meredith town docks, Wiers and channel, Govenors Isl bridge, Sallys Gut and usually at the northern tip of Bear Island to Pine Island has a pressure ridge that can be open. The bay is usually solid all over.
6meter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #18
trfour

Let's not forget about the inlet from the Inn at Mill Falls, just beyond the docks towards the Inn at Bay Point...

Stay away from docks, inlets, outlets and channels where water currants can erode the ice thickness and never consider that the ice is safe on any body of water!

Go to the link below my signature, study the safety sections and take the tests.

Stay safe and happy sledding!
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 12-12-2009 at 01:42 AM. Reason: add a safety warning and a smile, with Love
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:40 PM   #19
SIKSUKR

Watch out for the Hole-in-the-Wall channel between Little Bear and Cow Islands.