Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-19-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
Grant

Default Twitter/Facebook?

Any other Forum regulars out there in the Twittersphere? FB?

Just curious.

@vicnebulous
Old 03-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
WeirsBeachBoater

Addicted to FB, Haven't tried to twitter yet. Scared of another addiction.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
hazelnut

I must confess to the FB addiction. Crackbook is what they call it and it is an accurate name.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #4
hancoveguy

Default facebook/twitter

Just got hooked on facebook... I need a new drug... What the heck is twitter?
hancoveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
NHKathy

Default I second that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater View Post
I agree with this statement, so true!
NHKathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
Ropetow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Crackbook is what they call it and it is an accurate name.
That's a good one. Never heard that nickname for Facebook. Now CrackBerry....I've heard of that one. Don't have that addiction....am an iPhone guy. (though being tied to AT&T Wireless, the iPhone is iffy on the lake and the Alton area)
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:16 AM   #7
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
I must confess to the FB addiction. Crackbook is what they call it and it is an accurate name.
That is priceless. It describe's my wife's addition to FB to a "T". I'm still holding out.

BT
Old 03-20-2009, 06:57 AM   #8
Webbsatwinni

I was holding out on joining FB until about a month ago when my niece called me old for not being on there. I couldn't take the shame and joined, now I can't stop checking it. I hear twitter is more status based, but have never seen it.

FB is a great place to share lake pictures and videos, there are even a few Winni groups on there.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:09 AM   #9
Argie's Wife

I'm "MzArgie" on Twitter and have the Twitter widget on my desktop so I can tweet whenever I want.

Facebook is also another addiction but I'm not loving the new interface for it.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:00 AM   #10
eillac@dow

I've been on FB for a few months now, but only recently been getting involved with it. It is fun. A great way of connecting with others. The scary part is how much time you can spend on it. I can sit down at the computer with the intentions of "just checking it" and the next thing I know an hour or so has past!
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 09:40 AM   #11
webmaster

Thanked 3,727 Times in 824 Posts
Cool Facebook

I have to also admit being drawn in by Facebook. My wife and I joined a few months ago just to look around and have located many old friends. My wife has connected with high school friends and old coworkers she hasn't seen in 20-30 years. It seems like many older people like us (50's) have recently joined Facebook. It's not just for the kids anymore. Almost all the old friends we've found have just joined.

There is a Lake Winnipesaukee group (search groups for Lake Winnipesaukee) that you can join on Facebook that has lots of nice comments and information about the Lake. During the Ice-Out Contest someone posted the link and we had a surge of guesses that day.

One tip on Facebook: After you register immediately go into your privacy settings and change everything to "Friends Only". If you don't do that anyone in any groups you join will be able to see all your stuff. For example, if you join the "Boston, MA" group almost a million people will be able to view your profile, family pictures, friends list, etc. To protect your privacy always set everything to "Friends Only".
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
One tip on Facebook: After you register immediately go into your privacy settings and change everything to "Friends Only". If you don't do that anyone in any groups you join will be able to see all your stuff. For example, if you join the "Boston, MA" group almost a million people will be able to view your profile, family pictures, friends list, etc. To protect your privacy always set everything to "Friends Only".
OK, so how long should I continue to "hold out"?

BT
Old 03-20-2009, 10:13 AM   #13
momof3

Default addicted

Hi , I am a facebookaholic, I need a 12 step program!
momof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3 View Post
Hi , I am a facebookaholic, I need a 12 step program!
Congrats on completing Step #1...admitting it! lol

I too am on Facebook. The first month was boring, but as I found more and more people I went to high school and college with, it get better. Then a couple weeks ago a college friend posted a picture of about 12 of us from the old days. The funny thing is...not one single one of us has any idea when or where the picture was taken, and what the function was.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:53 PM   #15
hazelnut

Quote:
I have to also admit being drawn in by Facebook. My wife and I joined a few months ago just to look around and have located many old friends. My wife has connected with high school friends and old coworkers she hasn't seen in 20-30 years. It seems like many older people like us (50's) have recently joined Facebook. It's not just for the kids anymore. Almost all the old friends we've found have just joined.

There is a Lake Winnipesaukee group (search groups for Lake Winnipesaukee) that you can join on Facebook that has lots of nice comments and information about the Lake. During the Ice-Out Contest someone posted the link and we had a surge of guesses that day.

Don hows about you start a Winnipesaukee.com group?

Check for the Crazy Gringo group!!!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #16
Rose

Default Professional networking "Facebook"

For anyone searching for employment, I hear Linkedin is considered a Facebook for job hunters. Haven't tried it yet, and am not that far into Facebook, so I guess I'm still a square.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #17
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs up Anachronism ... and proud of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
OK, so how long should I continue to "hold out"?

BT
Forever ... just like me. Just what I need, more exposure and something else to waste time on Teh Interwebz.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #18
mneck1814

I've been on Facebook for over 3 years now. There certainly has been a surge in older (I simply mean older than college aged) members recently. Thankfully my parents have not joined yet!!!
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #19
Pineedles

Default Fb

Ahh, mneck1814 I have an update for you on some info of my own family's FB usage. My 22 year old daughter, who I think I mentioned in a PM to you, has finally decided to friend me after my persistent asking for friend status for 2 years. She went on a M&D paid for cruise to the Yucatan Penn. and wanted to share her pictures with us. We don't invade her privacy but potential employers may. She has realized that fun/memory pictures don't have to be potential job destroyer pictures. Regards
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 07:25 PM   #20
callmeD

Default Fb

I have been on Facebook for about 4 months now. I have reconnected with many old friends from school, drum and bugle corps. (some of the best years of my life!), and from earlier jobs.

We have a family "connection" group whereby anyone with our family name can join, and as a result, I have connected with many relatives with my family name, including a cousin who lives in Italy! We have traced how we are related and are putting together a family tree. My cousin in Italy is planning to travel to Avellino in the summer to do more research (a 5 hour drive for him), where my great grandparents (and his family members) were from.

So, for me, it's been great. I'm not addicted ... if I was, I wouldn't be here!
Old 03-20-2009, 09:01 PM   #21
RI Swamp Yankee

Wink Twitter

I thought "Twitter" was what old ladies did when they got together to play Bridge.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #22
MaidenCove07

Default LinkedIn is different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
For anyone searching for employment, I hear Linkedin is considered a Facebook for job hunters. Haven't tried it yet, and am not that far into Facebook, so I guess I'm still a square.
You're partially right Rose.
LinkedIn is much more professional that Facebook or MySpace. It's for professional people looking for advice about their careers or industries as well as jobs, but even better than that, it's a place where people who have purchased goods or services can offer opinions about what they purchased and the relationship they have/had with that person.
People have found and used me after reading one of the recommendations left for me by a client. (if you'd like to see what I mean, visit http://www.linkedin.com/in/kellydobens and see how mine is set up)

Facebook is so very social, that it's hard to establish a professional presence there so people like myself seek a different space for that kind of information.
Don't get me wrong, I'm a Facebook addict as well, but I chat/connect with old Army buddies, school pals and other social connections there and banter about life outside of work! and I love the games too!
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:23 PM   #23
Grant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
LinkedIn is very useful - I've an account for a long time. I keep that my "professional" social media site, and the FB is more personal nonsense. I've found Twitter to be a great professional tool, as I work with a lot of journalists and analysts and specific subject matter experts who tend to be parked in front of computer screens, and who share via Twitter all day long.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:29 PM   #24
kaj

Default I'll second that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater

I agree with this statement, so true!

I joined recently after my company closed. Great way to stay connected with former colleagues. Have also found many old friends from high school.
While I do keep it clean, any potential employer can find it, it is more personal than my linkedin profile.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:33 PM   #25
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

Default Posted a whole bunch of pictures

Quote:

I joined facebook and uploaded a whole bunch of photos.
Check Masconomet Regional High School class of 71. I think you can find them that way my profile pic will give it away.
http://www.facebook.com/photo_search...93&ref=profile
Sunset Bob
Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #26
Ropetow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
We don't invade her privacy but potential employers may. She has realized that fun/memory pictures don't have to be potential job destroyer pictures. Regards
Thanks for these words of wisdom. I wish every young Facebook user would realize that. I tell my students (college) all the time that before they post a photo on Facebook they should ask themselves, 'would I bring that on a job interview?' They need to realize that nothing on the Internet is a secret. As we all do....
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #27
Moss Creek Media

I've got 2 twitter accounts:

My personal one, full of my daily ramblings: http://twitter.com/spyboy

And one for my business, which is whenever I post up new panoramics: http://twitter.com/mosscreekmedia

Kirk
Moss Creek Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #28
Blue Thunder

Default how about that....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset Bob View Post
I joined facebook and uploaded a whole bunch of photos.
Check Masconomet Regional High School class of 71. I think you can find them that way my profile pic will give it away.
http://www.facebook.com/photo_search...93&ref=profile
Sunset Bob
Sunset Bob,

With that little tidbit I was able to determine that you and I grew up on the same street 6 houses apart. Small world.

BT
Old 03-21-2009, 07:48 PM   #29
Sunset Bob
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
Sunset Bob,

With that little tidbit I was able to determine that you and I grew up on the same street 6 houses apart. Small world.

BT
Do I know you? I must this used to be a small town.Send me an email.
Small world
Sunset Bob
PS I was on Frye Island the day it became a town.
Sunset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:24 AM   #30
twoplustwo

Default I'm on FB

FB is a great place to find old friends and keep up with current friends and family. I loathe the new layout, and hope the screaming forces them to change it up a bit.

LinkedIn I can do without. I've seen some former co-workers' pages and laughed at the embellishment and flat out lies. They should install a lie detector on that site to keep people from hiring total boobs.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:38 PM   #31
wuwu

Default I love Facebook!!

Great way to stay in touch with so many friends and family. Very addicting too!
wuwu is offline   Reply With Quote