Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2021, 09:05 AM   #22
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Ice Report:

Walked out to BI yesterday. Access to the ice from Sheps is good for now, seems the ice eaters for the docks are not going as aggressively as they were last year so access down the bank next to their docks is good and solid. Ice measured a number of times on the way out... measured between 8-10" of good hard solid black ice. Layer of about 3-4" of snow on top of that. Ice eaters along the south\western facing shores of Bear (facing Sheps) is maintaining a lot of open water along the shore making access to the island from the ice difficult but there are spots where it can be done.

Far side of the island.... cut a hole out there and measured 7-8" again solid black ice with 3-4" of snow on top. Evidence of folks running around on sleds out there on both sides as well as quad tracks. Folks out ice fishing in several locations out there and a couple bob houses deployed between 5 and 6 mile islands.

Gap between bear and pine is a bit sketchy there is a large pressure ridge that runs between the two and while sleds have passed through there and I walked through on my way back to shore, if I were passing through on a sled I would be hammering it. The best place to cross is closer to the red top off of Pine IS staying well away from BI and the post office - walking along that pressure ridge closer to Bear it did not look good from a distance and there was evidence it has been wet then froze.

Careful out there check your course of travel. Ice conditions from where I checked seemed to be pretty consistent however that doesn't mean this is true everywhere!

Be safe out there and for those headed out for the fishing derby next weekend GOOD LUCK!

I'll be headed out by sled next weekend.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (02-11-2021), Descant (02-11-2021), granitebox (02-13-2021), Mink Islander (02-07-2021), Pine Island Guy (02-07-2021), thinkxingu (02-07-2021)