Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-24-2022, 11:36 AM   #1
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
The second technician said the smell was coming from the boiler. He just couldn't figure out exactly where. There are independent service people. I just have no way of knowing their level of skill. I was asking about Roy Hubble. Does anyone know of him?
The procedure would be the same whether it is you, a friend, or the up coming technician.

The metal exhaust vent going from boiler to chimney appears to have metal tape on it. Could be as simple as replacing that metal vent pipe.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 03:46 PM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,530 Times in 989 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
The procedure would be the same whether it is you, a friend, or the up coming technician.

The metal exhaust vent going from boiler to chimney appears to have metal tape on it. Could be as simple as replacing that metal vent pipe.
Haven't we covered that? Wouldn't exhaust gases set off the C O detector? Would the reading from the Fire Dept. still be 0%?
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
DotRat (01-24-2022)
Old 01-24-2022, 09:46 PM   #3
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post

If everything is running normal, even if that pipe had holes in it, it would not smell. Ever see a draft balancer on an oil burner where it's not sealed around the damper. That doesn't have to be "air tight".

Now it may come out the holes if things are NOT running correctly.
The holes he had before the tape, didn't appear overnight, but his smell problem did, that should be a hint.

If the smell is coming from the furnace I suspect it's not firing up correctly.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 12:54 PM   #4
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
If everything is running normal, even if that pipe had holes in it, it would not smell. Ever see a draft balancer on an oil burner where it's not sealed around the damper. That doesn't have to be "air tight".

Now it may come out the holes if things are NOT running correctly.
The holes he had before the tape, didn't appear overnight, but his smell problem did, that should be a hint.

If the smell is coming from the furnace I suspect it's not firing up correctly.
You are correct... if it's a chimney there should be a negative draft in the smoke pipe. If he still smells oil or combustion there's still something wrong and needs to call the company and request someone else. I suspect nothing was done except for a filter and nozzle change.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 07:42 PM   #5
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
You are correct... if it's a chimney there should be a negative draft in the smoke pipe. If he still smells oil or combustion there's still something wrong and needs to call the company and request someone else. I suspect nothing was done except for a filter and nozzle change.
So tell her who you work for and she will know what company to call for service.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (03-30-2022)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2022, 10:54 PM   #6
SailinAway

I have two service calls on my bill now: annual cleaning plus 2nd visit when the smoke odor continued. Doesn't it seem like I should call back the same company and get them to fix the problem, instead of calling another company? And get the flue pipe replaced right away? I emailed the service manager a few days ago; no reply. I'll call again tomorrow.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 11:07 PM   #7
mswlogo

Quote:
I have two service calls on my bill now: annual cleaning plus 2nd visit when the smoke odor continued. Doesn't it seem like I should call back the same company and get them to fix the problem, instead of calling another company? And get the flue pipe replaced right away? I emailed the service manager a few days ago; no reply. I'll call again tomorrow.
You can try the same company. But they shouldn’t charge you dime. Or if they do need to replace something it better be a money back guarantee. Tell them it’s unacceptable and you will find someone else if they can’t.

I doubt replacing that pipe will solve it so I would not focus on that to much.

They should know the root cause and not guessing.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:01 AM   #8
TheProfessor

I think that the horse has been beaten to death here.

But will the OP tell all the solutions when this issue has been resolved ?
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:44 PM   #9
loony

We had a rental with forced hot air heat by oil l. The tenants would occasionally complain of an odor. I had the furnace serviced every year and each time I mentioned the odor. The technician tested carbon monoxide and efficiency. Both good. I had co detectors in the living space per code so I wasn't too concerned.
I had the old furnace replaced a couple of years ago and the technician discovered that the heat exchanger had 3 inch hole that rusted through.
It was probably there for years and no one checked for it.
So if you smell something when the furnace is running check the heat exchanger.

Last edited by loony; 02-13-2022 at 11:26 PM.
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 02:05 PM   #10
John Mercier

If there was a hole in a boiler heat exchanger wouldn't the burner flood with water?
Old 02-13-2022, 11:28 PM   #11
loony

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
If there was a hole in a boiler heat exchanger wouldn't the burner flood with water?
It was a forced hot air furnace not a boiler
loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 12:03 AM   #12
John Mercier

The system being discussed with the problem is a boiler.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:58 AM   #13
swnoel

Quote:
Don't pay the bill until you are satisfied, they have an obligation to fix the issue for free if it's something they did or didn't do. You will be responsible for the initial call to have a service done. Yes call the same company back and have the smoke pipe replaced. Don't email them... call directly.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 07:19 AM   #14
fatlazyless

For $10.99 at Lowe's, suggest you get a roll of 3M high temperature flue tape, high heat sealing tape up to 600 degrees, 15-foot roll x 1.5", silver color and add some more tape to the metal exhaust pipe behind the boiler, especially where it makes a 90-degree turn as shown in your photo. A very small and smelly amount of exhaust could be getting out, there, where the exhaust vent pipe hook-up takes a sharp turn between the boiler and the brick chimney.

https://www.truevalue.com/15-ft-hi-t...lver-flue-tape .... a fix for leaky chimney pipe connections where one section fits into the next with a friction fit. To test for an exhaust leak, simply hold your hand up to the joint connection.

Google this: "Even Low Levels of Soot Can Be Deadly to Older People, Research Finds" ..... January 26, 2022: NY Times ..... especially the reader's comments down the bottom

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-26-2022 at 09:47 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 09:02 AM   #15
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,062 Posts
Default Replace the pipe

Replace the pipe.

The high temp tape is good on joints on the chimney, but in my humble opinion, shouldn't be hard to patch a pipe.

Think Flex Seal. Good to stop a leak on the boat bottom while out on the water, but certainly not a permanent solution.

Dave
Old 01-26-2022, 09:57 AM   #16
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Good to stop a leak on the boat bottom while out on the water, but certainly not a permanent solution. Dave
Yes, for a totally permanent solution, slice up a foam swim noodle with your Swiss Army knife and press the foam into the leak on the boat bottom by using that bottle-opener, screwdriver blade while holding your breath, under your boat and under that Lake Winnipesaukee water. ....
Old 01-28-2022, 09:10 AM   #17
root1

Nope ...... its still moving! Lets beat this topic a bit more!
root1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 10:17 AM   #18
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by root1 View Post
Nope ...... its still moving! Lets beat this topic a bit more!
Well ....... so far all posts have discussed adjusting or improving the combustion or burning the fuel oil to eliminate the smell with no mention on tightening up the exhaust.

Wrapping that silver, high-heat, duct tape around each joint is an easy do-it-yourself fix that works excellent to seal it up.

Taking a fast look at the Beckett burner ... http://www.beckettcorp.com/product-c...ntial-burners/... .... in the photo above tells me it runs at about 86% efficiency at best adjustment which leaves 14% or more of the fuel oil as a gaseous combusted exhaust going out a somewhat leaky exhaust vent, especially at that 90-degree bend just behind the boiler, there.
Old 01-28-2022, 07:00 PM   #19
John Mercier

To my knowledge, the AFUE is not the perfect measure of whether the burn is clean. It is a measure of Fuel Used vs Heat Produced. Units with chimneys generally need to ''give up'' some heat into the flue to achieve draft.

High efficiency models tend to use direct vent, or power vent, to limit the amount of heat that needs to be lost up the chimney.
Old 01-29-2022, 09:22 PM   #20
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Google this: "Even Low Levels of Soot Can Be Deadly to Older People, Research Finds" ..... January 26, 2022: NY Times ..... especially the reader's comments down the bottom
What do the readers' comments say? They're not accessible to people who evade the fire wall. (Not that I would do that.)
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 06:07 AM   #21
fatlazyless

Quote:
What do the readers' comments say? They're not accessible to people who evade the fire wall. (Not that I would do that.)
There are 239 different comments so far that vary in length, and all comments need to be rational and real to be shown and they come from the U.S., Canada, Mexico and around the world. A 7-day/week, NY Times internet subscription costs $1/week for the first year, and $17/month, after the first year. While the article is mostly medical science, the readers' email comments are mostly personal experience and opinion.