Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Truman and Tia

The boss and I have, over the last few years, earned the reputation of being folks that the NH Humane Society can call to "foster" cats.

They know full well, that once we get them, they won't be coming back.

They call us with cats that are either too sick or abused to fit into the normal adoption profile. Being a "No Kill" organization they depend on folks willing to work with certain animals to either adopt or nurse back to the point that they can be adopted or at least healthy enough to bring back into the shelter without the fear of spreading whatever conditions they have to the rest of the animals.

Here are two of the latest. They have adapted well to us and won't be going back to the Humane Society.

Truman,

Truman was brought to the shelter as a stray. He had been being feed by a gentleman in Barnstead, he was an absolute mess. Skinny,completely matted and weighed about 5 lbs.

We had to completely shave him, clear up a massive eye and respiratory infection and get him back to good health. The Humane Society had given him the name "Bugga".

Name:  Truman x2.jpg
Views: 1275
Size:  55.8 KB

It took 8 months, but check out our 14 pound Truman.

Name:  Truman Now.JPG
Views: 1217
Size:  21.4 KB

Tia is a very sad story. She was found abandoned in Gilford. She had, and still has, serious neurological problems. Our vet and the Humane Society are convinced that she was "kicked around". She still can't walk a straight line and has trouble holding her head still. She has what appears to be tremors of some sort. She is getting better, but still focuses on our feet when ever we approach her. As you get closer she runs away.

If we are sitting still, or laying down she will approach, but still a very nervous little cat. She is still only about 4 pounds. The good news is she gets along well with the other cats and her medical conditions have greatly improved.

This is Day 1

Name:  Tia Day 1.JPG
Views: 1184
Size:  36.7 KB

This is now, almost a year later.

Name:  Tia now.JPG
Views: 1239
Size:  21.0 KB

Why tell these stories...?

Times are tough for the Humane Society. It's getting harder to raise funds and harder still to have folks volunteer to take the "hard to love" animals.

Please consider volunteering to be a "foster family" or maybe just pass up on the cute little Kitten or Puppy, and take in one of the older, harder to adopt "senior" cats or dogs.

Don't make me tell you about "Lucy", our deaf cat we are working with now.
CGI3 (11-07-2009), DRH (11-09-2009), Janet (11-07-2009), Just Sold (11-07-2009), Lynnio (11-11-2009), Redwing (11-09-2009), Resident 2B (11-07-2009), Ropetow (11-07-2009), wifi (11-07-2009)
Old 11-07-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
GuitarCrazyo

Default Truman and Tia

I think Ive seen it, is it the one with its eyes bulging out, looking like theyre about to explode any second?
GuitarCrazyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #3
eillac@dow

Default Tell Us Where

SteveA...

Please provide the info for donations...name, address, etc.

What you and your wife do is really amazing. To see the before and after pics are great. Thank you..

I really don't feel like i am in the right position to be "foster" pet parent, but if I can help in other ways, I will try.

You are doing a great job!

Thank you!
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
Quilt Lady

Default someone has to say it . . .

Truman has turned into "Hairy Truman"! His coat came back in beautifully . . . a testament to the wonderful care you and Diane give your cats. There is a special place for those who help the disadvantaged. I would agree that Tia has suffered some brain damage but that doesn't make her any less lovable. (I'd like to give the person who did that a "tune-up"!) I noticed those red ears: she's a flame-point. They are gorgeous cats. Bless you for helping those who cannot help themselves.

I will continue to show my support for the fine work the shelter does. May every animal find a loving home of its own.

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Quilt Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Chickie

Default Truman and Tia

Truman and Tia must have thought they had reached the promised land when they went home with you. The "before" photos brings tears to my eyes, but the changes in the "after" pictures are incredible and inspiring. Powerful evidence as to what can be accomplished following such extreme neglect and abuse. They were certainly in a sad state. Unfortunately many others are not so fortunate and know only cruelty and suffering throughout their entire lives. Kudos to you and others who respond to the plight of these dear creatures with so much love and caring. It is truly a happy ending story for those two.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2009, 08:40 PM   #6
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Thanks Quilt Lady!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quilt Lady View Post
Truman has turned into "Hairy Truman"!
Why didn't we think of that! It's perfect!

For those who asked. Information about donating and/or volunteering is available at the NH Humane Society website.

http://www.nhhumane.org/

Check out the "Weekly Featured Single". Twiggy.

The story on her mentions the Willow Fund. That fund is used to pay for services to animals that have needs that are going to be expensive.

They also have information on the Fostering Program. We fostered a mother cat that had 3 kittens and had taken on 6 other kittens that had no mother. When the kittens were old enough we sent them back to the Humane Society and they were all adopted. That was five years ago. Mom cat stayed with us. We named her Maya. She was a great mom to all 9 kittens.

Name:  kittens 0019.jpg
Views: 945
Size:  48.6 KB

An earlier post in the Winnie Pets Section mentioned the Lakes Region Humane Society.

Here is the link to their site.

http://www.lrhs.net/

Thanks for the kind words.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
jr616

Both of our boys came from the NHSPCA in Stratham. Simon (the orange tabby) was fostered by a wonderful woman who took care of him when he had eye surgery - While he does not have 100% vision in that eye he still runs around our house like a maniac! I thank God for her everyday! Kudos to you!
We try to donate on a regular basis - it's just so easy to all another bag of food or case of cans to the cart at the grocery (harder to remember to drop of on my way home).
In these times when the food pantries need our help so much sometimes we forget the 4 legged friends that help those less fortunate get through their days too.
I know without my guys the toughest days would be so much harder.
Attached Images

jr616 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jr616 For This Useful Post:
Ropetow (11-13-2009), SteveA (11-12-2009)
Old 11-12-2009, 12:07 PM   #8
dpg

A couple weeks ago I brought my dog to get his nails clipped here in Mass. The store was having some type of sidewalk event/open house with a lot of food companys giving out samples. Now I'm talking 2 and 3 pound sample bags. I walked around with my dog and acted interested in all the different brands getting what they would give me. My guy doesn't need it, the bags are going to the local shelter. Don't tell anyone.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (11-20-2009), jr616 (11-17-2009), Resident 2B (01-02-2010)
Old 01-02-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
Tadpole

Default Awesome Steve A.!

Aren't rescue animals great? It's like they KNOW they've been given a second chance. The white dog in my avatar is Moby. He's my Tennessee rescue. He was at a kill shelter, and was ready to be put down. I had actually been looking for a female yellow lab, but got my Moby-man instead. He turned out to be the most loyal dog ever. Oh, his brother in the picture is Dick. He came from our local shelter when he was just 7 weeks old.

I have decided that the next dog I adopt will be an old dog. They are so hard to place, and deserve to live out their last years in comfort and being loved. There's just something about an older dog's demeanor that is appealing. Most people want a puppy, and the old ones get ignored. They deserve better.
Old 05-15-2010, 07:17 AM   #10
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default In Memory of Tia

It is with the proverbial "Heavy Heart" that I want to report that our little Tia from the #1 post in this thread is passed on.

Very quickly, over the last 3 or 4 days she became increasingly lethargic, not eating, not drinking water. The vet examined her and he determined that her kidneys had failed completely.

The options for her had run out. Hydration was not going to work because her kidneys could not process any fluids we could have tried to force into her.

The vet estimated her age at "more than 10", when we first got her from the Humane Society. She was with us from 11-28-08 until yesterday. We are grateful for the time she gave us. She went from a scared and damaged cat to a loving and loved family member.

Please let her story remind you to look hard at the older and compromised animals when you consider adoption. Even if the time you have with them is short, you and that animal will be far better off for the time you give each other.

Name:  Tia 18.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  48.3 KB
Old 05-15-2010, 08:07 AM   #11
Pepper

Default Experienced pets are wonderful additions!

Steve, I'm so sorry to learn of Tia's passing. I know that she provided your household with much love and joy during her time with you. May she spend eternity in the land of sunny spots and catnip toys.

As I write this, I am flanked by our recently-adopted kitties. When our beloved mini-dachshund, Fritz, passed away a few months ago we visited the NHHS and came home with a brother and sister feline pair. Troy is 11 and Lily is 10. These are two of the sweetest and most loving creatures ever to walk the earth, and fill our days with much laughter at their crazy antics. Although they are not what most would consider young, they are so full of life! I wholeheartedly second the notion of opening your heart and your home to pets who are "experienced."

(Note: as I typed this reply, Lily decided she needed some snuggling time, and has climbed inside my bathrobe and is now kneading my belly and purring up a storm. )
Old 05-15-2010, 08:20 AM   #12
Pineedles

Steve,

So sorry to hear of your family's loss. Your dedication to helping bring some dignity and love to these animals in their waning years is commendable.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
DRH (05-15-2010), Pepper (05-15-2010), WinnDixie (05-15-2010)
Old 05-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #13
sa meredith

Default so sorry

SteveA
I had never seen this thread...so as I sat here with my Saturday morning coffee, it brought a smile to my face (I too am a huge animal lover/cat owner) as I read what great work you do with distressed cats. And it came to a screaching halt upon reading the post about Tia's passing. I am so very sorry. I truly understand that the loss of a pet can shake up your world for a few days.
The before and after photos you have posted show that you and your wife really do make a difference. I commend you for that.
And now, if I may, I want to share an ironic story that just took place.
We have a two year old Chocolate Point Birman...Finnagan. He is 2 yrs, 3 months old. We got him at 6 months.
Well, two Thursdays back , for the very first time in the year and a half that we have had him, Finnagan did not greet me at the foot of the bed in the morning, and race me to the coffee pot. Each and every single day, he craves constant human contact from first thing in the morning, until he has the house to himself. Follows us everywhere, and when checking my morning email, he jumps up on the table, and lies across the keyboard. Every day.
But two weeks back, on Thursday (the 6th), nothing. No where to be found. Long story short, he just stopped eating, and lied in one place for three days. Drank a bit of water, and took a few a steps every now and again, but that's it. Wasn't always sleeping, but just lieing there, looking around, and losing weight.
Come Sunday morning, I had had enough, and called the vet and paid for the emergency Sunday (Mother's day, no less) visit. And the strange part...she found nothing wrong with him. Temp fine, heart rate fine, no stomach or internal blockages, kindeys fine, bladder a quarter full and fine, no nasal discharge...she said nothing wrong..."If I didn't know your cat, I'd give him a perfect bill of health..." Wierd.
Anyway...Monday, Tuesday...he ate a bit. Wed, Thursday started to run around a bit more...Yesterday, back to 80%. And now the ironic part of this long winded tale...after not visiting me at the computer for 9 days, as I typed my condolences for Tia, he jump up and resumed his regular place at the key board. Maybe he was trying to say that he, too, was sorry. Just ironic that he would return to his normal routine as I posted to a thread about cats.
As a follow up, for anyone who is still reading this, the vet called a few days later, and after asking many many questions, about Finnegan, and any changes to his environment, she offerd the following explanation, which I found strange, but plausible.
After being out of work for 9 months, I recently returned to work, and now am out of the house by 6:30, taking away much of Finnegan's quality "human" time in the morning. She told me that he may have indeed just have had a very difficult time adjusting to the big change in routine.
I thought cats were way more independant than to let something like that bother them...but who knows. Just glad to have my morning coffee buddy back.
Lastly...as was stated earlier...it is important to help out from time to time. A couple years back, I started reading the sign whenever I drove by the animal shelter on Meredith Center Road...it will normally state what they are in need of...Bleach, Paper Towels, Cat Litter, etc...and was sure to grab some and drop it by on way to or from the marina. You'd be surprised how good it makes you feel to buy a few 20lbs bags of kitty litter for $3.99 each, and drop them off. It really is not hard to help out a bit. Very little time and money...but I'm sure it all adds up.
RIP Tia.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 12:07 PM   #14
WinnDixie

Default So sorry!

I am so sorry about Tia. It is such a heartbreaking, yet heartwarming story. As I read this thread, I began to remember that, when it first started a year ago, I made a contribution to the Humane Society on Meredith Ctr. Rd. I always did support it when I lived up there, and your story about Truman and Tia reminded me to do so again. Now it is time for another. Even if you are not close enough to take items to them, or cannot foster or adopt (but thanks to those who do!), you CAN make a donation in support! They can surely use it all! I'd never speak for God, but I am pretty sure when He gave us dominion over the animals, He never intended the cruelty we see, too often! Look what Steve A and others do...look what a mother cat named Maya did for 6 orphan kittens...I think we can all help. Thanks for your stories and pictures, Steve A...keep them coming!

Last edited by WinnDixie; 05-15-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: couple of corrections
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #15
Quilt Lady

Default My sympathies to you and Diane . . .

It is so difficult to lose one of your "babies" but you gave Tia the best year and a half of her life. To know your kindness late in her life must have given her peace at last. She is now in a place where she walks strong and tall, filled with all the sunshine, catnip and tuna she wants. She is finally safe and whole.

Now there is space for another poor soul who needs your kindness and attention. You both are the kind of people we all hope to be. Bless you!

(Doing my best to encourage Global Warming ... one quilt at a time!)
Quilt Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quilt Lady For This Useful Post:
SteveA (05-21-2010), trfour (05-15-2010)
Old 05-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #16
Argie's Wife

Default Thank you for opening your heart and home to Tia

Weep Not for Me,
In Memory of a Beloved Cat

Weep not for me though I am gone into that gentle night.
Grieve if you will, but not for long upon my soul's sweet flight.
I am at peace, my souls at rest.
There is no need for tears.
For with your love I was so blessed.
For all those many years.
There is no pain, I suffer not,
The fear now all is gone.
Put now these things out of your thoughts,
In your memory I live on.
Remember not my fight for breath
Remember not the strife.
Please do not dwell upon my death,
But celebrate my life.

by Constance Jenkins
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #17
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Unhappy Sorry for your loss

Tia was a lucky cat to have been adopted by such loving people. My condolences on her passing to you and Diane.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #18
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

I have to skip these threads when someone loses an animal. They make me too upset. I am so sorry.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 05:01 AM   #19
gravy boat

Default Steve A

So so sorry to hear about your baby. It is so difficult losing a family member.
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote