Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2005, 04:19 PM   #1
Mirror Lake's BB

Default Travel thru Worcester-road construction?

Friends of mine will be traveling up from PA this coming weekend. They will be driving up either Friday or Saturday, probably hitting Worcester by noon or later. Should I tell them to keep going on the Mass. Pike to 495 or go thru Worcester due to the construction. Thanks Robin
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 01:05 AM   #2
Outlaw

Default 290 a continual construction zone

Worcester is still under construction -- imagine that!!! Having family in CT, I always go through Worcester, and it has been under construction for over a year now. Since it's only a 10 minute ride more on the Pike to 495 I'd recommend you tell your guests to take that route and avoid the headache of Wusta.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:25 AM   #3
Zee

I travel through downtown Wusta twice daily. The section of road under construction is only about 1/2 mile. Heading east it will probably be heaviest at the rush hour 4-6 pm. Even at its heaviest, it is not that much of a delay compared to I-495 at the Mass Pike!
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:51 PM   #4
Mee-n-Mac

Exclamation Fri afternoon = avoid 495N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee
I travel through downtown Wusta twice daily. The section of road under construction is only about 1/2 mile. Heading east it will probably be heaviest at the rush hour 4-6 pm. Even at its heaviest, it is not that much of a delay compared to I-495 at the Mass Pike!
If they are arriving at 495N anytime btw 3-6 pm on Friday they are likely to be stuck in traffic north of Rt2 all the way up to (and past) Rt93. Sat would be no problem. I can't speak to the traffic flow in "Wusta" but I've been stuck on 495N for an hour+ during the aforementioned times.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:02 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Another way, a road less travelled, would be to get on I 91N at Hartford or off the Mass Pike, depending on how they are travelling, and go North to Brattleboro VT, getting off on Rte 9 east to Keene and then on past Henniker to I 89 south to Concord and then I 93 North to I 393 to Rte 28 to Wolfeboro and Mirror Lake. When we lived in upstate NY, we travelled Rte 9 extensively with few if any tieups. From Brattleboro, it is about two hours to Alton, as a point of reference.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:53 PM   #6
Lin

I'd have to agree that if your friends hit the 495/MA pike area anywhere after 3:00 PM on a friday they better be prepared for either slow or stopped traffic. We only live a halfmile from that intersection and it backs up constantly on friday afternoons. The ramps are just too small to handle all that traffic now. It even flows out onto the back roads around here just to avoid it. My husband and I were just talking about this Wed on our way back from NH as we passed the 495S/290W ramp. They have this lighted sign that says road construction 290 seek alternate routes. We were saying that it seems to have bumped more traffic up to the Pike/495 ramps lately as people try to avoid Worcester. I've traveled through W. a few times lately and have not had much of a problem.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:25 PM   #7
joneill

Default Traveling through Worcester...

I wish I would've asked the forum back in June about traveling through Worcester when we made our trek from Ohio. We were making great time all day on that Friday. Hit Worcester at about 3:00 p.m. and what should have been a 12 hour trip ended up being almost a 14 hour trip. Shouldn't complain, though. Made it safely to the cabin and ended up having a great week!!
joneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 09:01 AM   #8
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

My favorite way is 91 North all the way Lebanon....take 89 south briefly and get on rt4 to 104 East to Meredith. It's a little longer ,but a very relaxing ride.No traffic...just country.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote