Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2005, 12:08 PM   #1
BBS

Thumbs up E-Z Pass on the way.

I thought that this system was scheduled for installation last fall. But better late than never, I suppose.

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...nsponder&hl=en

Just noticed that the Union Leader pulled the story so here's a summary:

EZ Pass start slated for March

Author: GARRY RAYNO State House Bureau Chief
Publication: Union Leader, The (Manchester, NH)
Page Number: A1

CONCORD -- Before the summer tourist season arrives, New Hampshire drivers should be able to pass through electronic toll booths without stopping once the EZ Pass system is up and running.

Gov. Craig Benson and state officials yesterday said sections of the long-awaited system could be operational as early as March, but Department of Transportation Commissioner Carol Murray said the goal is to have the entire turnpike system up and running by Memorial Day.

Last edited by BBS; 02-02-2005 at 08:20 AM.
BBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 12:24 PM   #2
Tired of Waiting

Default It's a good system IF set up right

I just hope they set it up better than they did here in Western MA. The exit I get off at on the way home has three exit lanes, one of which is a fast lane. However instead of putting that lane in the middle it's on the far right. Now if you want to go left after the exit you have to cross one lane and try to merge with the left one. If you are east bound on the pike and take the exit you have to wait for the fast lane folks sitting at a stop to enter the lane or move to the regular ticket lane. All cause the person up front can't get across the lanes to turn left when going through the "fast" lane.

Oh well, Hope your's is better.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 02:28 PM   #3
Smith Point

Thumbs up

Thank god it’s finally here what a time saver! And convenient let me tell you. It’s the best idea the Mass & the Everett turnpike has had to date. And I think the Maine turnpike went into effect today also. 2 thumbs up
Smith Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:17 AM   #4
parrothead

Default Tokens?

Are they going to discontinue tokens? It is a nice savings if you through a lot of NH tolls. I don't thnk that the same discount is offered with Fast Lane.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:01 AM   #5
Grant

Default Woo-hoo!

Can I hear an "Amen"??!

This makes the entire PA-to-Lake trek a cashless event!
Old 02-02-2005, 10:49 AM   #6
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of Waiting
....instead of putting that lane in the middle it's on the far right.
They put the EZ Pass at the far end so that toll takers don't have to cross the high speed lane. The speed limit is supposed to be 15 mph but 30 or even 40 is common.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:23 PM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Tokens

I read somewhere in the papers that they will have tokens available. Thet means those that use tokens cannot take the 'fast lanes'. I guess that is the price to pay to save some money.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:24 PM   #8
Tired of Waiting

Default Not So

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander
They put the EZ Pass at the far end so that toll takers don't have to cross the high speed lane. The speed limit is supposed to be 15 mph but 30 or even 40 is common.
I agree to some extent. However, Many of the toll areas have more than one speed pass lane and the ticket tackers have to cross them. Also at the exit I am speaking of the ticket takers have to cross the speed lane to get to the other booths cause their building is also on the right.

Ticket Lane----Ticket Lane----Fast Lane----Toll Building.

ToW
Old 02-02-2005, 02:13 PM   #9
Puffin

Default NH EZ Pass

http://www.nh.gov/dot/turnpikes/pdf/EZPassUpdate.pdf

I beleive NH, Like Maine and MA, will be charging for the ezpass device about$27.50 ea. However you can order one from NY for $0.00 and it will work for the entire east coast.

http://www.e-zpassny.com/static/signup/index.html

Last edited by Puffin; 02-02-2005 at 02:15 PM.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:46 PM   #10
SIKSUKR

I remember reading that the tokens would be phased out but discounts somehow would still be available,but at a reduced rate than the present.Something like 25% off instead of 50% off. SS
Old 02-03-2005, 06:32 AM   #11
dpg

Default Question For TOW

Hey TOW - You wouldn't be talking about the Rte.30 Fast lane exit in Weston would you? Like like it.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 08:22 AM   #12
Island Girl

Default Tax increase

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR
I remember reading that the tokens would be phased out but discounts somehow would still be available,but at a reduced rate than the present.Something like 25% off instead of 50% off. SS
Which is really just a tax increase.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 11:42 AM   #13
ghfromaltonbay

Default NY Thruway Authority EZ Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffin
http://www.nh.gov/dot/turnpikes/pdf/EZPassUpdate.pdf

I beleive NH, Like Maine and MA, will be charging for the ezpass device about$27.50 ea. However you can order one from NY for $0.00 and it will work for the entire east coast.

http://www.e-zpassny.com/static/signup/index.html
New York changed their rules and now will only issue transponders to NY state residents. Luckily I'm grandfathered since I got mine several years ago before NJ also started using EZ Pass. The Garden State Parkway and NJ Turnpike have now instituted high speed EZ Pass at several toll plazas, the extreme left lane booths were removed and only readers hang down over the lanes. You proceed at the posted speed limit, which in the case of the northernmost toll on the GSP is 65 mph. I think this is great and would be a help at the Hampton Tolls to cut down on weekend backups.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 12:29 PM   #14
Tired of Waiting

Default Not that one

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg
Hey TOW - You wouldn't be talking about the Rte.30 Fast lane exit in Weston would you? Like like it.
No not the Rt 30 exit. The one I was refering to was Exit #3, Westfield. However Exit #6 is even worse. There are two fast lanes next to the building they have to cross to get to the ticket lanes in the middle.

ToW
Old 02-03-2005, 01:31 PM   #15
Puffin

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay
New York changed their rules and now will only issue transponders to NY state residents. Luckily I'm grandfathered since I got mine several years ago before NJ also started using EZ Pass. The Garden State Parkway and NJ Turnpike have now instituted high speed EZ Pass at several toll plazas, the extreme left lane booths were removed and only readers hang down over the lanes. You proceed at the posted speed limit, which in the case of the northernmost toll on the GSP is 65 mph. I think this is great and would be a help at the Hampton Tolls to cut down on weekend backups.
I not so sure! My neigbhor, within the last 3 months, ordered and received EZ pass from NY. I just ordered 2 Monday Night and expect to receive them today or tomorrow (I'm in MA). I received a confirmation that my account was activiated so I have no reason to beleive otherwise. I simply filled out the on line appication paid with a CC and done, no fee for the transponders.

Puffin
Old 02-03-2005, 01:55 PM   #16
jeffk

Default Good deal for non-commuter?

The DOT FAQ mentions a monthly maintenence fee. Does anyone know how much that might be? Do other states charge this fee?
I'm not a commuter and this will probably not be a good deal for me. We mostly go through the Hooksett and occasionally the Bedford tolls. Rarely have we had a significant wait. The cost of the transponder is as much as I spend on tolls for the year (after token discounts) and the monthy fee could easily make it a Loser.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 01:25 PM   #17
Puffin

Smile Ny Ez Pass

Just to confirm I did get my EZ Pass from NY in yesterdays mail. Not a bad turnaround at all. Ordered Monday Night after 9 P.M. and it was in the mail on Thursday. No charge or deposit for the transponder as long as you pay and allow automatic charges to a CC. Only issue I have is that I thought I ordered 2 units but only received 1, I have to check my order confirmation to make sure. --Edit 2nd unit came in today. not bad turnaround.

Puffin

Last edited by Puffin; 02-04-2005 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:57 PM   #18
Zee

Default Monthly Fee

I have four transponders which I got thru NJ several years ago. No charge for the transponders, I must leave $15.00 on deposit from which they draw down the tolls. This automatically replenishes from my credit card. I do have to pay a $1.00 monthly fee for "maintenance". That fee is in total, not for each transponder. That fee is worth it to be able to get through the tolls quicker for my weekend travel back and forth since I hit both Hooksett and Bedford. I just hope there will still be some kind of discount. I will miss the 50% discount on the tokens.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 01:17 PM   #19
gtxrider

Default Which Lane?

I hope the EZPASS is in the same lane at every toll plaza. The Rocket Surgeons that did the Garden State Parkway have no system for EZPASS. It would make sense to have them in the LEFT (FAST) Lane but no. The EZPASS lanes are not laid out in a consistant fashion. My normal ride on the GSP goes through 3 Toll Plazas and none are the same.

Caution: Watch out for the drivers that cannot/do not read signs they will drive up to an EZPASS Booth and then decide that it is not where they want to be and make a sudden turn. No signals.

I do like the EZPASS especially in bad weather it keeps the rain, snow, slush, etc...outside the vehicle.
gtxrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 01:39 PM   #20
luna

Ditto Grant! I'm in Jenkintown, PA and curse those New Hampshire tolls every time I have to dig for quarters. This is very good news indeed!
luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 07:34 AM   #21
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Eliminating Tokens?

The state will begin opening the first E-ZPass lanes Memorial Day.
State transportation officials want to eliminate tokens at turnpike tollbooths once the state installs the fast-lane E-ZPass program by Labor Day.

New Hampshire moving to E-ZPass toll system - Fosters Online
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 12:25 PM   #22
BroadHopper

Exclamation Tokens

According to this article it is possible that the discounts may apply to residents only. They expect to raise an additional 4 miilion.

http://www.theunionleader.com/articl...?article=50946
Old 02-18-2005, 03:41 PM   #23
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Resident discount only?? Don't think so

Here is part of the article RG referenced from Foster's regarding NH Resident discounts only:

Rep. John Graham, R-Bedford, said that in addition to eliminating tokens, his bill would have given the E-ZPass discount only to New Hampshire residents but federal court decisions have rendered that preference unconstitutional and Graham asked that it be struck from his bill.

Leave it to the press to get things messed up.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:29 PM   #24
fatlazyless

Cool ....tokens should be forever & a day!

Let's see, traveling from Boston to Lake Winnipesaukee on Route 93, you pass through just the one toll in Hooksett, NH. It costs 75 cents, however if you buy a roll of NH highway tokens for five dollars the 75 cent toll is discounted to 37 1/2 cents. For five bucks, you get a roll of 40 tokens, each one a legal and welcome alternative to a quarter so for five bucks you get the equivalent of ten dollars of quarters.

Each token has a silhouette of NH's granite icon, albeit now deceased, the famous "Olde Man of the Mountain', plus it says "Live Free or Die." About ten years ago, Governor Merrill had the 'New Jersey' barricade gates removed from the tolls and set out huge potted flowers between each toll station because NH is all about flowers and not security gates.

Why would anyone want to replace or do away with the tokens? They are sort of a collector's item what with the Old Man, the State motto, and the low, 50% off, bargain basement price.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 09:04 AM   #25
Lakegeezer

Default It comes down to economics

We just have to wait for the state to decide what its going to do and let us know - then the decisions will be easy.
  1. If they keep the token system and don't give ez-pass discounts - we stick with tokens (for us, about $150/year savings).
  2. If they give only NH purchased EZ-pass the discount, we buy a NH EZ-pass.
  3. If every EZ-pass gets a discount, we get the box from NY state (who doesn't sell it for $30 like NH wants to do, but just takes a deposit)
  4. If there is no discount and tokens are discontinued - we complain a lot and go with option 3.
The real winners will be those who have to go through the Hampton tolls on weekend. The EZ-pass will reduce their wait - for the rest, its just saves a few seconds and you don't have to hunt for tokens or roll down your window.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:26 PM   #26
BroadHopper

Default A few seconds?????

LG. Try the Hooksett toll on a Friday, late afternoon to early evening. It takes more than a few seconds. Those that come up Rte 3 and pass the Bedford toll at that time gets to wait even longer. Sometimes it is quicker to take 3A through Hooksett, Bow.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:16 PM   #27
BroadHopper

Default No discount tokens

The house voted down any discounts.

http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/4268635/detail.html
Old 03-09-2005, 08:31 PM   #28
Mee-n-Mac

Question Two Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper
The house voted down any discounts.

So when do they stop selling tokens and when do they stop accepting tokens already sold ?
Old 03-09-2005, 09:34 PM   #29
Island Girl

Default Tax Increase

As I said before, this is just a tax increase... from the live free or die state.

....... Make Lemonade
Island Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:17 PM   #30
jonr

Default Discounts

[QUOTE=BroadHopper]The house voted down any discounts.

That's not true. The house voted to eliminate the discount for tokens (which cost $750,000 a year to handle).

The fiscal note to the bill passed yesterday - http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/legi...05/HB0604.html -
clearly assumes a 50% discount will apply to EZ-pass. But it is up to the governor and council not the legistlature to set toll discounts. See RSA 237:11 V - http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...237/237-11.htm

Not that the second change made in HB 604 only allows the discount for "in-state accounts" and not "out-of-state accounts".

Of course the Senate needs to act before any of this is real.

As far as when this might apply, HB 604 has an effective date of Jan 1 2006.
jonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:03 AM   #31
Merrymeeting

Default Update?

Does anyone know when they might start turning this on or selling passes? All the equipment seems to be in place at the tolls and given use in many other states, the systems and software should be ready. I'm guessing the only holdups now are political and bureaucratic.

I'll be making a long trip down the east coast in about a month. Ideally, I'd like to have a pass to use on this trip. I've been holding off buying a pass awaiting an announcement by NH on rates and availablilty.

Has anyone heard anything official on this other than the recent House vote on the tokens?
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:26 AM   #32
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Privacy Concerns

Some PRIVACY CONCERNS worry potential E-Z Pass users.

Last edited by webmaster; 03-21-2005 at 09:37 AM. Reason: fixed URL
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:52 AM   #33
Merrymeeting

As suspected, delays look to be mostly political/bureaucratic...

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...S0202/50324093
Old 03-24-2005, 01:31 PM   #34
SPANKY

Unhappy

anybody know how will this system work for those pulling trailers? will you be required to use the regular lanes? after reading the article in the previous posts link. it seems as though there will probably be no discount for users. i think i'm starting to like the idea of keeping the 50% of with the tokens!
SPANKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:30 PM   #35
Major problem

The tolls are counted by the number of axles. When you sign up for EZ-Pass you indicate the toll class so you get charged the appropriate amount. The system can't adjust for when you add a trailer so you can't use the EZ-Pass lane when towing.
Major problem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 04:46 PM   #36
BroadHopper

Default haulin' A%%

Right now, I was able to use the tokens for my vehicle then pay for the tandem axles with govt coins. I don't think that was a bad deal. It looks like I will be paying the full amount if they eliminate the tokens.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:33 PM   #37
PaulS

Default Towing trailers with E-ZPass

I've had E-ZPass for years. I was once towing a trailer through the I-87 tolls in Brooklyn, and I was charged for 3 axles instead of 2. Not sure how the system knew, but it did...
PaulS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 09:39 AM   #38
Blue Thunder

Default You can tow your trailer

The new EZ Pass system just activated on the Maine Turnpike allows for the towing of your boat or trailer. The system just counts the axles and charges your account accordingly. You will find that whatever state you purchase your EZ Pass in will offer discounts for that state only. I believe I get slight discounts for Maine but not Mass or NH.

BT
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 07:21 PM   #39
Major problem

Default I stand corrected

This info from masspike.com

" Q. Can I use the transponder I purchased for my car to tow a trailer?
You may use the transponder from your passenger vehicle to tow a trailer providing that you list the trailer plate number on your FAST LANE account. FAST LANE will automatically count the number of axles and charge your account accordingly. Outside of Massachusetts, you will need to go through a multi-mode lane (one that accepts both cash and E-ZPass) in order for the toll attendant to reclassify your tag for that toll transaction. You may also purchase a second transponder (VRC for the total number of axles) to keep going through an electronic lane. Remember to keep one of the transponders in a foil pouch to prevent it from reading if you have both of the tags with you. "

I think you weren't allowed to do that when I first got mine. Apparently that has changed.
Major problem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:55 AM   #40
Blue Thunder

Default It's a bit simpler on the Maine system

I know most of you guys will be using the NH system, but the Maine system is probably using the latest technology so it counts the axles and determines the class of vehicle you are driving. I'll have to see after the first time I do it!
Looks like it might be state specific.

From www.maineturnpike.com:

Q: Occasionally, I tow a camper, boat or other trailer. May I still use my E-ZPass when I do?

A: Yes, you may use your Maine Turnpike E-ZPass tag to pay tolls on the Maine Turnpike when you tow a trailer. Maine's new E-ZPass system has the ability to identify the size and class of your vehicle as it travels through the toll plaza. The system then deducts the appropriate toll from your prepaid balance. However, before you use your Maine Turnpike E-ZPass when towing a trailer on other E-ZPass facilities, be sure to check with those other E-ZPass agencies.

BT
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 06:31 PM   #41
Merrymeeting

Default Rt 3 Merrimack tolls getting ready

I went through the Rt 3 toll booth this morning at about 8. They had a few northbound lanes closed, with trucks loaded with what looked like new signs parked nearby, and they were working on one of the booths.

At least they are getting ready!
Old 03-29-2005, 11:20 AM   #42
SIKSUKR

Hooksett as well has new signs posted and brand new camaras facing at your license plate should you decide to not pay. SS
Old 03-31-2005, 08:31 AM   #43
fatlazyless

Cool Lynch says 'keep the tokens'

In today's www.unionleader.com Gov Lynch says the state should use the Easy Pass transponder system plus keep the Old Man of the Mountain tokens with their 50% discount, as well. He got my vote and he gets my vote for this plan. Way-to-go, Governor!

Keep the tokens, keep the tokens, keep the tokens, keep the tokens, keep the tokens, keep the tokens, keep the tokens, keep the tokens, keep the tokens,
get the message! And add the transponder system, too.

What we need are six traffic lanes that accept tokens and coins and one lane for the Easy-Pass. This works for me!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 09:21 AM   #44
KBoater

Default Tokens

I'm with FLL on this. If you are an occasional user the Pass doesn’t make sense.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:26 AM   #45
KBoater

Default Speeding thru EZ Pass

A friend of mine just got several tickets by speeding through the EZ Pass lane in NJ. I guess the cameras also check speed.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:50 AM   #46
PROPELLER

Hoping to have E-Z pass up an running by the July 4th weekend. No change in the rates, transponders purchased in NH will receive 30% discount on NH tolls. For a limited time up to 11/1/05 a transponder will cost $5 & no monthly account charges. No decision on the tokens yet.

It has not been announced when the transponders will go on sale.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 12:22 PM   #47
jeffk

Default Probably worth it for me now

I think the no account charges is only if you choose not to get a monthly statement sent to you but instead check your account on line. Not a problem for forum users.
I only spend about $20 (after discount) on tolls in NH every year. I would prefer to keep the tokens with the 50% discount but it looks like that's not an option. At $5 for the transponder E-Z pass is a tolerable tradeoff. I'll be paying a bit more for the convenience of going through the tools a bit quicker (which hadn't been that much of a problem for us). I also get the extended use in MA and NY which we go through every couple of months. I guess it's time to bow to "progress".
BTW, I think that $5 price on the transponder may only be for a couple of months, then they go to $25 or so. The early bird gets the worm (or better deal). The details are being worked out yet.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:32 AM   #48
PROPELLER

Yes, you are correct about the account charges. If you want a prinout its $1 per month otherwise its $0. The $5 transponder price is good until 11/1/05 then they will be $15 according to the Union Leader on 5/13.

Last edited by PROPELLER; 05-16-2005 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:35 AM   #49
Nero Gatto

Default Delayed again

So much for th July 4th.

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...017/-1/citizen
Old 05-18-2005, 11:10 AM   #50
BroadHopper

Thumbs up Long live the tokens!!!!

Amen!
Old 05-18-2005, 12:14 PM   #51
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

I have been trying to find the source but it escapes me. I read of someone travelling up the east coast and at each toll booth the EZ Pass lanes were all backed up with long lines....but since he was paying with cash, and the lines were shorter there, he breezed right through. I figure I pay $12 per month in tolls (which is $6 with the tokens). If I can breeze through the tolls more quickly by paying cash (and $6 extra per month) it would be worth it to me not be sitting in line with the rest of the suckers. As it is now, the pay-as-you-go booths (any vehicle), rather than the exact change lanes, are most usually much shorter IMO. Time will tell!

Last edited by mcdude; 05-18-2005 at 04:49 PM.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:36 PM   #52
SIKSUKR

I'm with you McDude.I do find that when the tolls are crowded head to the right lanes for a much quicker line.Maybe it's best to wait and watch to see how the traffic moves when ez-pass comes on-line.Does anyone know how many,if more than one,lanes will be converted at the major tolls like 95 and 93? SS
Old 05-19-2005, 07:08 AM   #53
PROPELLER

I always go to the cash only lines to the right when the others are lined up. I have never encountered a back up at the cash only lanes to the right when paying a toll.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:24 AM   #54
Gatto Nero

Default Executive Council approves E-ZPass plan

Here is the link to the article this morning.

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...016/-1/CITIZEN
Old 06-03-2005, 07:35 AM   #55
jimbob1603

What is happening to the jobs being replaced by EZ Pass? What does the toll-collector's union have to say about the new system?

Last edited by jimbob1603; 06-03-2005 at 10:56 AM.
jimbob1603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 12:49 PM   #56
Zee

Default It's not clear

The article isn't clear if the 30% discount will be given to people who purchase their transponders from NH or just NH registered drivers who purchase transponders. I guess I won't give up my NJ transponders until I hear more.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:20 PM   #57
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee
The article isn't clear if the 30% discount will be given to people who purchase their transponders from NH or just NH registered drivers who purchase transponders. I guess I won't give up my NJ transponders until I hear more.
Seems pretty clear to me.

"Under the plan, drivers who open New Hampshire accounts will get discounts on tolls."

Doesn't say anything about being a resident.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:25 PM   #58
Mee-n-Mac

Thumbs down Tokens not accepted

Seems silly to me that either plan would stop accepting tokens (1/2006 or 7/2007) as oppposed to just no longer selling them. After a while they'd run out (for most people, FLL perhaps excluded ). Why bother tinkering with the machinery unless the coin vs token "logic" is constantly breaking down. You're going to have coin lanes no matter what is done. Somehow I find it hard to believe that the token part alone costs an additional $750k (net) to run. I also wonder why it's so important that the EZ Pass be deemed a "success". What if the public doesn't gravitate towards it at the rate or in the amounts deemed "successful" ? So what ? Ooops silly me, some pols reputation is probably at stake. By all means lets make sure it's successful then ....
Old 06-03-2005, 02:26 PM   #59
PROPELLER

M&M, If the public does not want EZ - Pass why are they going ahead with it? Personally, I would rather have the 50% discount using tokens, I don't have a problem stopping to drop them or give them to a toll taker or stopping to buy new ones.

I think the issue with having both is that if they offer the 50% discount with tokens many will not use EZ-Pass & the costs to run EZ-Pass will be prohibitive on top of the discount of 30% with EZ-Pass & the 50% discount with tokens.

I think it should be one or the other & just end it. I have not seen this much flip flopping since Kerry ran for president, just make a decision.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:02 PM   #60
Gatto Nero

Default No EZ Pass for Bike Week :(

Too bad the EZ-Pass system won't be ready for Bike Week. Stopping to pay a toll is always a pain on a bike, tokens or no. EZ Pass would save lots of line time for the bikers and all those unfortunate enough to get stuck behind them.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:23 PM   #61
Sunbeam lodge

Default EZ Pass

A writer to the Laconia Free paper indicated it is going to cost $6.5 milion for the easy Pass system and it only costs $750,000 for the current system. I dont know whether this is correct but that seems like a big hit to the taxpayers unless they can raise the toll to $1.00 as anticipated. A token with disc. will be $.52 v$.37 now, a 14% increase , if the toll goes to $1.00 (they are thinking about it) and the discount stays the same it will cost $.70 , a 19% increase. If they stay with the coins and current discount and raise the rate to a $1.00 it will only cost us $.50.
Also, those EZpass transponders from out of state should check to see if when they use the transponder at the New Hampshire toll whether they will get the New Hampshire discount when they pay the toll charge to the state.
I asked New York that question and they indicated you will only get the discount in the state where the transponder is issued.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 09:06 PM   #62
DRH

Default NH DOT Web Site Info

Here's an update that was posted on the NH DOT's web site yesterday:
================================================== ==

Project Update
June 3, 2005

On June 2, 2005, a resolution to move forward with the implementation of E-ZPass was approved by Governor John Lynch and the Executive Council.

The highlights of the approved resolution are as follows:

• Transponders (both private and commercial) will be sold for $5.00 each until May 1, 2006. The cost for transponders after May 1, 2006 will be at the wholesale price to the State.
  • There will be no monthly account maintenance fee.
  • Monthly statements will be available via the internet for free or to receive home or business mailings at a cost of $1.00 per month for private accounts and $2.00 per month for commercial accounts.
  • The discount rate for private NH E-ZPass accounts (4 transponders or less) has been set at 30%.
  • The discount rate for commercial NH E-ZPass accounts (5 transponders or more) has been set at 10%.
  • Only NH E-ZPass accounts with NH transponders will receive a discount when the E-ZPass system is used for toll fare payment at NH toll plazas.
  • E-ZPass Transponders from other states (Maine, Fast Lane (MA), NY etc.) will work at NH toll plazas when the system is deployed.
  • NH Turnpike tokens will continue to be sold and accepted for toll fare payment until July 1, 2007.
  • The token discount will remain at 50%.
  • E-ZPass is a prepaid system.
  • Private accounts, with one to two transponders on the account, will require an initial toll revenue deposit of $30.00.
  • Private accounts, with three to four transponders on the account, will require an initial toll revenue deposit of $60.00.
  • Commercial accounts (5 or more transponders) will require an initial prepaid toll revenue deposit of $75.00 per transponder on the account.

It is anticipated that on June 20, 2005, customers will be able to open E-ZPass accounts via the internet, phone, fax or local NH walk-in centers located in Hooksett, Nashua and Seabrook, NH.

NH E-ZPass Customer Service Center

Acceptable forms of payment will be credit cards (Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover), cash and check. Debit cards and ACH payments from checking/savings accounts will not be accepted.

The Department of Transportation has contracted with ACS State & Local Solutions, Inc. to provide all customer service center functions related to the NH E-ZPass system. At this time they are actively working to get their software system ready to begin accepting accounts.

The NH Department of Transportation estimates that E-ZPass will begin to be deployed at NH toll facilities during mid July 2005. E-ZPass will be phased in over a 4-6 week time frame.

The order of implementation is as follows:

1. Hooksett Main, Hooksett Ramp & Bedford Toll Plazas
  2. Merrimack Ramp Toll Plazas (Exits 10-11-12)
  3. Dover & Rochester Toll Plazas
  4. Hampton Main and Hampton Ramp Toll Plazas
As more information becomes available, it will be posted here on our website.

Thank you for your interest in NH’s E-ZPass Program!
Old 06-06-2005, 06:15 AM   #63
jonr

Default shorter or longer lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
I have been trying to find the source but it escapes me. I read of someone travelling up the east coast and at each toll booth the EZ Pass lanes were all backed up with long lines....but since he was paying with cash, and the lines were shorter there, he breezed right through. I figure I pay $12 per month in tolls (which is $6 with the tokens). If I can breeze through the tolls more quickly by paying cash (and $6 extra per month) it would be worth it to me not be sitting in line with the rest of the suckers. As it is now, the pay-as-you-go booths (any vehicle), rather than the exact change lanes, are most usually much shorter IMO. Time will tell!
My experience with EZ-pass up and down the east coast has been that the EZ pass lines are *always* much shorter than any of the cash lines. I think the throughput is so much larger (no stopping, no change) that they can just push so many more cars through that it's amazing. Plus of course they can add or remove EZ-pass lanes as needed.

That said having a different discount amount for tokens and EZ-pass can only hurt EZ-pass adoption if the EZ-pass demand is elastic.

I have to agree that sometimes the non-exact change lanes are faster. But only sometimes. At those times the lines that move the fastest are the lines with buses or trucks in them because of their length. (I.e. they pay once but take up the same roadway as 3 cars).
jonr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 07:49 AM   #64
jimbob1603

Jeez ..... looks like I'll have to purchase another transponder. I've quite a collection of these things; each state only discounts their own issue. I guess the good news is that tokens will be good, with a 50% discount, for a few more years.
jimbob1603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 03:39 PM   #65
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob1603
I've quite a collection of these things
If you drive through with more than 1 transponder in your car you can be charged on each of them. And that would not be saving any money.

When Fast Lane started in MA we sent a car to pick up several transponders. When they drove through the toll booth all six transponders in the box were read and charged the toll.
Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:03 PM   #66
BroadHopper

Lightbulb more than one...............

My buddy has more than one transponder as he is a salesman from Maine to Florida. He has these alluminum foil pouches that he puts his transponders in. That way he only has the transponder he needs outside of it's pouch and get charge on that transponder only. neat.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:11 AM   #67
Paul1

Default NH DOT link active

The link to apply for ez pass is now active and accepting applications

http://www.ezpassnh.com/
Paul1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 06:37 PM   #68
Merrymeeting

Not 12 hours later... just tried. Received a "Site Under Construction" message.
Old 06-17-2005, 07:05 PM   #69
DRH

Default It Worked For A While

I wonder if the site became overloaded during the day, as I was able to complete and submit the online application this morning with no trouble. The charge to my credit card went through today as well, so hopefully my application hasn't become lost in a bowl of byte soup.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:34 PM   #70
ghfromaltonbay

Default Is the discount unfair to out of state drivers?

I think it is unfair that those of us with Mass., NJ or NY EZ Pass transponders will not get the same discount as NH drivers. The Hampton Toll is on Rte. 95 an Interstate Highway (read federal) and we are all US residents. If a NH driver comes down thru NJ and uses the NJ Turnpike or the Garden State Parkway during the off hour discount periods, they will enjoy the same discount as any one else in the U.S. who has a transponder. Why is NH being so exclusive? I may just remove my transponder when I hit the NH state line and keep using the tokens as long as possible to get the 50% discount. I would think giving only NH residents a discount on a US highway is unconstitutional.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:41 PM   #71
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay
I think it is unfair that those of us with Mass., NJ or NY EZ Pass transponders will not get the same discount as NH drivers. The Hampton Toll is on Rte. 95 an Interstate Highway (read federal) and we are all US residents. If a NH driver comes down thru NJ and uses the NJ Turnpike or the Garden State Parkway during the off hour discount periods, they will enjoy the same discount as any one else in the U.S. who has a transponder. Why is NH being so exclusive? I may just remove my transponder when I hit the NH state line and keep using the tokens as long as possible to get the 50% discount. I would think giving only NH residents a discount on a US highway is unconstitutional.
I don't remember reading anywhere that only NH drivers get the discount. Just buy a new transponder from NH and you are all set, right? I don't hink it matters where you live.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:24 AM   #72
Paul1

Default back off-line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting
Not 12 hours later... just tried. Received a "Site Under Construction" message.

I just tried to get on again and got the same message as you. But on Friday I was able to get on and got an account number, they charged my card, etc.

Todays Boston Globe says the site will begin taking applications on Monday.

PS when you get to the front page of the site, it will ask for your state of residence. No matter where you live enter New Hampshire or it will redirect you to your own states' site.
Old 06-19-2005, 09:42 AM   #73
KBoater

Question Actual Cost

I did get on the site for a short time. I could not get and links that required PDF files. I have verison 6.01 of arobat reader.

If I read the terms correctly the cost for a casual user if $30 for the transponder (1 time) and $1.00 month for maintainence plus tolls.
Is this what those that got through and opened an account paid?
Old 06-19-2005, 11:00 AM   #74
DRH

Default It's less than that

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLboater
If I read the terms correctly the cost for a casual user if $30 for the transponder (1 time) and $1.00 month for maintainence plus tolls.
Is this what those that got through and opened an account paid?
FLboater,

The transponder costs only $5.00 for now (it jumps to $30.00 sometime later this year), and the $1.00 monthly fee only applies if you want a monthly statement printed and mailed to you. An electronic monthly statement is free. (You tell them which you want when you sign up.)

If you have two cars, you can order two transponders on your account @ $5.00 each. (It appears that you can order up to 4 transponders for each personal account.)

Also, there is a $30.00 initial charge to fund your EZPass account. As you use up those funds by using the EZPass toll booths, your account balance will drop. At some minimum balance point (the exact point isn't clear at their web site), another $30.00 (minimum ... could be more based on your useage) will be charged to your credit card and transferred into your EZPass account to fund future toll charges.

I was able to sign up on Friday morning before their site went down. My credit card was charged, and I was assigned an EZPass account number. When the site comes back online, I'm going to check to make sure my account is still there!
Old 06-19-2005, 11:52 AM   #75
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1
PS when you get to the front page of the site, it will ask for your state of residence. No matter where you live enter New Hampshire or it will redirect you to your own states' site.

Did you give your home state address when you got into the system or did you use a NH address?
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 07:48 PM   #76
ghfromaltonbay

Thumbs down Open a 2nd account?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatto Nero
I don't remember reading anywhere that only NH drivers get the discount. Just buy a new transponder from NH and you are all set, right? I don't hink it matters where you live.
I have had an EZ Pass account thru the NY State Thruway system for quite a number of years. Why should I have to buy a NH transponder and shell out an additional $5 and then maintain balances of $30 each under the NY and NH systems? I get the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway discounts using the NY transponder. I would also be afraid that unless I had a shielded holder for the NY transponder and got a NH one, I'd be double charged if both transponders were read going thru a NH tollbooth. I'd also have to constantly be changing transponders halfway thru my trip before I hit the NH state line. Doesn't seem worth the added effort and accounting & paperwork. If I as a NJ resident can buy NH tokens and get the discount why can't my transponder also qualify? I'd move thru the EZ pass line and not slow up the NH traffic as much as I do paying with tokens, but yet I'm to be penalized by being charged the full amount for using my NY EZ Pass? Still seems unfair on Interstate Highways.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:44 AM   #77
chipj29

Default Discounts

I think there may be some confusion regarding discounts This is what I believe is happening. When you buy your EZpass, it is now discounted to $5, from $30, and that is for NH residents only.

When you travel the roads, there will be a toll discount of 30%. I believe the toll discount is for all cars, no matter where they are from.
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:13 AM   #78
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29
I think there may be some confusion regarding discounts This is what I believe is happening. When you buy your EZpass, it is now discounted to $5, from $30, and that is for NH residents only.

When you travel the roads, there will be a toll discount of 30%. I believe the toll discount is for all cars, no matter where they are from.
My son-in-law in FL told me he had to buy a FL transponder to get the FL discounts. On his travels to NH, he did not get any discounts in the other states. he would like to know how he can get discounts in the other states with a FL transponder.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:13 PM   #79
SIKSUKR

I believe Nh is not any different than any other state in that a transponder from that state would only have a discount(if offered)in the state you purchased it from. SS
Old 06-20-2005, 12:16 PM   #80
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper
My son-in-law in FL told me he had to buy a FL transponder to get the FL discounts. On his travels to NH, he did not get any discounts in the other states. he would like to know how he can get discounts in the other states with a FL transponder.
Broadhopper, I was just trying to find out more definitive discount information, but have been unsuccessful. I read that there is a 30% discount, but nowhere does it say that it is for those who bought there transponder in NH only. Not that I can find anyway. The way I saw it, that if anyone can buy tokens and get the discount, why would EZPass be any different? I do have to admit that my logic may make too much sense for the govt. to understand!

So, forgive me if I gave out erroneous information. I am just trying to relay what I have read, and I made an assumption that just may be incorrect! Ooopsie!
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 03:20 PM   #81
Paul1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
Did you give your home state address when you got into the system or did you use a NH address?

At the first page enter nh as your residence state, but you can use your home address when you actually sign up for the account
Old 06-21-2005, 08:13 AM   #82
Merrymeeting

Also, when you are presented with the agreement, it states that the transponder will be $30 and there will be a $1 monthly maintenance fee. But if you continue on to the check-out page, you will see the transponder is only $5 and there is no monthly fee if you get your statement via email.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:08 AM   #83
JPC

Default One Transponder, two vehicles

Does any one know if you can move the transponder between two vehicles? My wife an I usually use the car when going to the lake but there are times when we take the pickup instead. l'd hate to have to purchase two transponders when one would see limited use.
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:02 AM   #84
DRH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC
Does any one know if you can move the transponder between two vehicles? My wife an I usually use the car when going to the lake but there are times when we take the pickup instead. l'd hate to have to purchase two transponders when one would see limited use.
It's my understanding that you can move one transponder between two vehicles as long as both vehicles' registration numbers are included on your application. But at $5.00 per transponder (for a limited time), both of which would be assigned to your one EZPass account, it might be worthwhile just installing one in each vehicle.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:42 AM   #85
SPANKY

Unhappy

this is an article from todays union leader. it appears now that the transponder price will be increasing to $24 dollars on july 16th, token sales will cease on september 1st, and will only be accepted for the remainder of this year. this system seems to be changing more than the weather

http://www.unionleader.com/articles_...?article=56637
SPANKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:31 AM   #86
VarneyPoint

I think the raising of the transponder price unexepectedly is a little unfair but I applaud the legislature for ending token use sooner rather than later. I guess people will have to take advantage of the discounted transponder price right away. It made no sense to have a 50% discount for tokens and only a 30% discount for EZ Pass because there was no incentive to buy an EZ Pass transponder. Now that tokens are going to be gone by Sept. 1 and no longer in use by Jan. 1, 2006 people should be more willing to make the switch saving time, money and helping the enivronment by not idling needlessly at the toll booth.
VarneyPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 12:23 PM   #87
BroadHopper

Thumbs down Saving money???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by VarneyPoint
I think the raising of the transponder price unexepectedly is a little unfair but I applaud the legislature for ending token use sooner rather than later. I guess people will have to take advantage of the discounted transponder price right away. It made no sense to have a 50% discount for tokens and only a 30% discount for EZ Pass because there was no incentive to buy an EZ Pass transponder. Now that tokens are going to be gone by Sept. 1 and no longer in use by Jan. 1, 2006 people should be more willing to make the switch saving time, money and helping the enivronment by not idling needlessly at the toll booth.
I don't know how this will save money. As a commuter who has to go through the bedford and Hooksett tolls twice a day, I will have to spend $156 more a year at 30% instead off 50%. That is minimum amount. I go through the toll booths a lot more than the 20 times a week. I like the way Maine set up the system for commuters. They will only take out of your account a set number of dollars a month. After that amount it is a 'free' ride.
Old 06-22-2005, 12:32 PM   #88
SIKSUKR

You are correct Varney Point.I wasn't going to sign up for quite a while but when I saw the new cutoff dates for transponder discount and token acceptence,I signed up yesterday.Iwas confused though while signing up on-line when I was asked what type and how many "tags" I wanted.I searched around and couldn't find any info on what the heck a tag was except certain cars needed rooftop tags because of metal in the windshield.I assumed that this was the part that must communicate with the tollbooth reciever and figured I needed at least one.I guess I'll find out soon enough. SS
Old 06-22-2005, 01:28 PM   #89
VarneyPoint

BroadHopper,

You are probably more of the exception than the rule. Going through the tolls 20+ times a week is a lot, no argument there, so for you, you are right, it will be more money at the end of the day. However, the EZ Pass system will save time (which in my world is money) and fuel savings since you will not need to come to a complete stop or nearly complete stop, going through the toll. Also, the difference between the discounts is going to cost you $3 more per week based on your math. IMO not a bad deal considering you'll never have to roll down your window during a snow storm, heat wave or downpour. You won't have to fumble for tokens while driving 65 MPH in traffic thus making you a safer driver and the people around you safer drivers as you can concentrate completely on driving. You're still paying less than the full toll so I think it's a good deal. I am just glad that NH is finally moving forward with this technology. It's been a long time coming.

-VP
VarneyPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 01:29 PM   #90
Steve

Just hope you don't have to call cutomer service to get help. Man. When I read that they changed the dates on everything, I signed up today, for 2 tags. After I got the confirmation, I realized that I entered my first name in the last name field, and my last name in the first name field. Oops.

Anyway, I logged into the account, which was immediately activated, but couldn't change my name. After hunting for a phone number (almost impossible to find) and going through all kinds of voice prompt systems, I got to a CSR that said she couldn't update it until I received the tags. We went back and forth over this, as she said it wasn't in the database yet. I explained it was, as I logged in. She confirmed there's only one DB. But I still have to wait.

Whatever.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:18 PM   #91
Steve

I don't get it. Now, if you read this article, it looks like the change in fees and dates may not be final. But you may not know for 3 weeks...

http://www.unionleader.com/articles_...?article=56681
http://www.unionleader.com/articles_...?article=56683

It always kills me how gov't can run like this. If this were a business, they would be long bankrupt and closed down. It's ridiculous.

Of course though, it sounds like the Union Leader jumped the gun on the story yesterday, as the budget bill doesn't appear final.

Who knows.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote