Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Little bear gal

Default neighbors and dogs!

Thought I would open up this can of worms- how do you all feel about neighbors and dogs? What expectations should you have as a neighbor re: barking, behavior and picking up after your dog? In my area we have very opposite theories and I'd like to know what other people think.
Little bear gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
jetskier

Talking Just have to lay down the law

We don't allow our cats to pick on the neighbor's dog.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little bear gal View Post
Thought I would open up this can of worms- how do you all feel about neighbors and dogs? What expectations should you have as a neighbor re: barking, behavior and picking up after your dog? In my area we have very opposite theories and I'd like to know what other people think.
I just have a bigger and noisier, meaner dog than my neighbors and have him trained to bark on command.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
jkjoshuatree

Wink I Have 2 Golden Retreiver Puppies...

...and the owner should absolutely pick up after their dogs. But it's hard to control when and how often they bark.

And different breeds bark more than others.

Just my two cents.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:57 PM   #5
Pineedles

Default Feelings on Dogs and Neighbors?

I'll alway take dogs (and cats), over neighbors any day.

Ooh I forgot, I never pickup after my neighbor.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
luvmypups (06-04-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little bear gal View Post
WOW, Little bear gal, way to jump into the forum. Both feet first.

Just kidding with you. Welcome to the forum and glad you decided to post. You definitely opened up the can on this one. We had a golden at one time on Cow Island. For the most part he was well received wherever he went. I was the one that had an issue with him! He whined when he was tied up, he howled when he was left on the porch, he swam incessantly when he was outside roaming free. The major issue came when we had kids. He would wander off if we weren't paying enough attention to him. He would usually find the house that had the people that would throw the ball in the water for him. Unfortunately that would backfire sometimes as he would wander beyond those properties where he was "accepted." I have a neighbor that kept their feelings out in the open regarding the dog. It was helpful for me to know the boundaries. I would try to remain vigilant with regard to the dog on their property. It wasn't always easy, as the dog had a mind of his own. But at least there was never any veiled hostility. We always knew where each other stood. Best bet is to be honest with your neighbor with regard to your expectations regarding the dog. Sometimes though people get very sensitive about their dogs as they consider them a member of the family. Good Luck either way. I have been on both sides of the fence on this issue as I no longer have a dog and I have to deal with other dogs on the island. For the most part I am laid back about it but at the same time I am honest with the owners.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:51 PM   #7
Seeker

There's pretty specific laws in NH regarding barking, loose dogs, etc. It's perfectly legal to shoot a dog that worries (harrasses) people, livestock or other animals. I don't have the RSA in front of me but it should read the owners could be shot instead of the dogs since it is usually the owner who is out of control for not being in control of his/her pet.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 09:54 PM   #8
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
There's pretty specific laws in NH regarding barking, loose dogs, etc. It's perfectly legal to shoot a dog that worries (harrasses) people, livestock or other animals. I don't have the RSA in front of me but it should read the owners could be shot instead of the dogs since it is usually the owner who is out of control for not being in control of his/her pet.

Ummmmmmmm what?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #9
Seeker

Hazelnut, Look up the RSA's re:dogs. They are quite specific. 'Course if anyone shot mine I'd be on my way to jail.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
Hazelnut, Look up the RSA's re:dogs. They are quite specific. 'Course if anyone shot mine I'd be on my way to jail.
Oh no don't mistake me.... I believe you but still

Imagine that...... It's pretty horrifying and I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:06 PM   #11
jrc

It looks like Seeker is right:

466:28 Killing Dogs Legalized. – Any person may kill a dog that suddenly assaults the person while such person is peaceably walking or riding without the enclosure of its owner or keeper; and any person may kill a dog that is found out of the enclosure or immediate care of its owner or keeper worrying, wounding, or killing sheep, lambs, fowl, or other domestic animals.

Add this is why you can't let your dog roam free, even if your town doesn't have a lease law:

466:30-a Dog Control Law. –
I. Notwithstanding any other provisions of this chapter, it shall be unlawful for any dog to run at large, except when accompanied by the owner or custodian, and when used for hunting, for guarding, working, or herding livestock...
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:48 PM   #12
jeffk

I train my dogs to stay on my property and 99% of the time they do. When neighbors want the dogs to come over I tell them that once I allow them to go on their property I can't back off that permission. They have always said "OK" and the dogs extend their territory to the neighbors yard. Dogs use the outside as their bathroom and if they go on the neighbors property, so be it. That's part of the package that comes with having the dogs come over. I've never had a problem with this.

If I am walking the dogs and they poop on someone's yard I pick up after them. If they poop in a rough wooded area I don't.

If my dog barks excessively I bring it inside. This can be a breed specific thing. Some dogs are quiet, others are not. I think a dog that barks constantly is a nuisance and the owner should be told it's a problem. If they don't do something about it you can discuss it with the police although I'm not sure what they can do. I think most dogs bark because they are left outside. I have never understood why you get a dog and then leave it outside all the time.

If a dog is threatening people or other animal I believe the dog could be declared a nuisance and removed. I once had my dog attacked by two neighbors dogs well onto my property. I told them that if they didn't control their dogs, I would. I never had another problem. To be honest those dogs were Goldens which are VERY trainable. The owner had ruined the dogs. I have had a couple Goldens and people can't believe the stuff I have trained them to do. The breed is extremely eager to please it's owners.

I currently have an Akita, a rescue dog that my daughter got. The breed characteristics are to be guarded with strangers so she tends to bark a lot at the neighbors. She's a big dog at 90 pounds and she can be very scary just because of her size and configuration. She looks like a cross between a German Shepard and a bear with a massive head. When she first got in the house she growled at me for several months but now she is a big love. I have taken her to meet the neighbors and she is much better with them now although she still is cautious around them. The people on one side of us got a little dog, no more than 10 pounds. The Akita and their dog are inseparable buddies. A real Mutt and Jeff combination. The Akita is amazingly gentle with the little dog and he is a playfully aggressive companion chewing on her neck all the time. The Akita doesn't even notice he is doing it.

Anyway, I don't think you should let your dog become a nuisance but some people can be awfully picky as well.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:37 AM   #13
Bear Islander

Dogs are the number one cause of neighbor conflict on our island.

Many people allow their dogs to run free or "at large" as it says in the RSAs. If the dog is calm and friendly then this rarely causes a problem. However some dogs are aggressive when they meet up with a stranger.

People love their dogs and hate to fence or tie them up. They turn a blind eye to the aggressive side of the lovable pooch that plays with their kids. Then they turn another blind eye to the law.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:01 AM   #14
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default The Neighbors Dog

In general I am not an animal fan. I think that if your dog barks for more than 5 minutes and your neighbors can hear it, it should be brought inside. If that doesn't work you should buy a bark collar.
We have one particular neighbor that seem to think an hour or two of loud barking is fine. When I have spoken to them they take offense and say that the dog is "just playing" One night after 11:00PM they came in in their boat and the dog barked for 20 minutes straight while they dropped the passengers at their dock and put the boat on it's mooring. I finally stepped out on the front deck and said "would you please do something about the dog" They responded "he's just happy to see us, go back in your house and watch TV"
So what is the next step? Call the police? Take matters in to my own hands? The neighbors don't seem to realize that the barking is unacceptable. They are well aware that we have a problem with it. This has been going on for two years. I refuse to let my peace and tranquility be taken away by rude neighbors. It looks like it is time for an ugly confrontation!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #15
ApS

Question Isn't it the Humans?

Don't dogs "just bark" for a reason?

My male dog was inconsolable for six months when left alone after his mate died. Although indoors, he would wail for hours. Even last evening, an elderly dog down the street here wailed—just like a grieving human—when left alone. It was both spooky and sad.

Most dogs are alone when making a nuisance of themselves. It's the absentee human who's the problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
"...In general I am not an animal fan..."
Not the best of starts...

Quote:
"...This has been going on for two years. I refuse to let my peace and tranquility be taken away by rude neighbors..."
I've got a McMansion still under construction after two years on either side of me. The cursing, the litter, the bulldozers, the air tools are bad enough, but it all started with dynamite blasts!

It's also not Forever.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #16
donnamatrix

Default Nuisance dogs

Years ago, we rented a house on Bear Island in Church Cove. There was a German Shepherd dog, very large, that would come visit. Wasn't threatening, just a constant visitor and was quite a stinky/aromatic critter. She liked having rocks thrown for her to retrieve-like a ball. One late afternoon in a thunderstorm, she came right thru the screen door she was so scared of the storm! We have had nuisance barking-dogs next door, but INSIDE the house, who barked at everything that went on outside. We had confrontations with our neighbors ... but there is no solution. Dog owners often just don't care if their pet is annoying to others. Good luck TiltonBB-I don't envy you what's on the horizon. Of course, we have Siamese cats... talk about noisemakers!
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:36 AM   #17
Webbsatwinni

To me, people in general are in two groups, dog lovers and everyone else who tolerates dogs.

Dog lovers think that everyone should be in their group and get upset when people think that the dogs are an invasion while barking or roaming free.

Everyone else is wishing that beyond a casual petting of the dog here and there, that the dog should either be quite and stay home.

I am in the second group, we choose not to have dogs and think that sitting on our deck dog free should be possible. Last year I was at the Wolfboro town dock and when I returned to the boat, there was a family fishing and their dog was in my boat. When I asked who's dog it was and could they get it off my boat now(!), they said to calm down as it was only a dog. After some back and forth, we got in the boat and left as they were really starting to get really angry that we thought is was wrong. And it was my boat that their dog was on, so why get angry?

It is just my two cents that dogs should either be on a leash or fenced in. I am not trying to tick anyone off by this, it was just a great thread to discuss.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #18
BJAM

Talking

I would take a dog over a neighbor any day! At the very least you wouldn't have to worry about the dog borrowing your favorite tool, and not returning it!! That's why I buy fluorescent pink extension cords, so I can see them hanging in my neighbors garage. By the way you can buy any color extension cord at Heath's Hardware in Ctr. Harbor.
BJAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:25 AM   #19
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni View Post
To me, people in general are in two groups, dog lovers and everyone else who tolerates dogs.

Dog lovers think that everyone should be in their group and get upset when people think that the dogs are an invasion while barking or roaming free.

I wish it was that simple. I'm a dog lover, there's been a dog in my household since I was born. (we are in dog hiatus due to mourning)

Barking dogs still annoy me, unleashed dogs that jump on me when I'm hiking, annoy me, dog shi# in my drivway annoys me and the list goes on.

But in all these cases I don't blame the dog, I blame the owners. As a former owner I know how easy it is to think that my dog is wonderful, but dogs will be dogs and do dog things unless the owners control them.

If I found a dog in my boat and the owners were there watching, I would have trouble controlling my anger.

With today's technology, you would think that bark collars and invisble fences would make this problem go away.

TiltonBB, maybe a little sugar first. Buy them a barking collar and deliver it as a peace making gift.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:51 AM   #20
dpg

I own a dog and love them, he's kept under control. He's trained to be taken down the street to do his thing in the woods and I don't pick it up there. Not owned by anyone town land that's been woods forever (duh) and always will be. I have an unusual situation in that mine is blind - he sees very little in daylight I think. He does known his yard and stays in it, we had an electric fence when he could see anyways. I went at it with one person on the other end of the neighborhood last summer. His dog literally pulled away from him and "ATTACKED" my neighbors dog in her yard - I witnessed the whole thing, this dog always attempts to get at others on "its" walk. I very calmy told the owner that my dog was blind and if his ever came into my yard and attacked him like I just witnessed he would not leave my yard alive. Maybe not the smartest comment to make to someone but what I witnessed was scary.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:06 PM   #21
jmen24

Default Talk to the neighbors

I lived with dogs my entire life, at one point having FIVE at once. We have only one dog now and I refuse to allow my dog to be a pain to the neighborhood. My dog does his business in his own yard and stays in his yard or he goes inside. Barking at people while outside is not allowed at all and it gets stopped immediately, only barking to protect his family is allowed (it is a different mindset for the dog and is easy for them to tell the difference). It is 100% the owners responsibility to teach the dog to respect others and know its boundaries. I would like to know if someone had an issue with my dog so that I could correct it. It is hard enough find good neighbors let alone keep them.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:32 PM   #22
Bear Islander

Quote:
In
. . . So what is the next step? Call the police? Take matters in to my own hands? The neighbors don't seem to realize that the barking is unacceptable. They are well aware that we have a problem with it. This has been going on for two years. I refuse to let my peace and tranquility be taken away by rude neighbors. It looks like it is time for an ugly confrontation!
Every time the dog annoys you call them on the phone at 4 AM the next morning and bark for a few minutes. If you have the guts, tell them who you are.
Old 02-25-2009, 12:36 PM   #23
Orion

Default Amen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni View Post

Everyone else is wishing that beyond a casual petting of the dog here and there, that the dog should either be quite and stay home.

It is just my two cents that dogs should either be on a leash or fenced in. I am not trying to tick anyone off by this, it was just a great thread to discuss.
There actually may be a third category. I love dogs, but can't stand incessant barking or bad dog behavior. It often seems that owners can't even hear it the barking. It is particularly annoying when you're just minding your own business and a loose dog comes in your yard and just stands there barking at you for no reason. Annoying dogs are the result of irresponsible owners, not necessarily a breed problem.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:51 PM   #24
Webbsatwinni

I do agree that is not the dog but the owners training and control abilities. Or the awareness on how their dog impacts others and the wherewithal to remove the dog from the situation without the second most annoying dog owner trait, the call of "Fido, come over here" over and over again.

That said, I do find it funny that no matter how many dog owners discuss this topic, only the ones with good dogs talk about it . Is it that they are unaware of the irritation they cause or are all of the bad dog owners shy?

That sounds like a great poll:

Is your dog annoying to anyone around you?

Never, my dog is perfect.
Sometimes, but not to me.
All of the time, but not to me.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #25
TiltonBB

Default But what is the solution?

There are a lot of comments from dog owners who are, or at least claim to be, responsible. But other than the 4AM phone call comment, no real viable solution. Talking to the neighbors apparently doesn't work. They are well aware of the barking and well aware that we have a problem with it. They just don't seem to care.

Too many dog owners think that everyone who must interact with their dog must enjoy their dog as they do. I have another friend whose dog insists on rubbing up against people and licking their hands. Every time I go to visit him it is impossible to get out of the car without this smelly mutt licking me. My friend stands their and laughs. I don't find it that funny.

To me, and I realize that it is just my opinion, most dog owners are oblivious to the discomfort that their dogs cause others.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #26
Webbsatwinni

Default Well said!

Quote:

To me, and I realize that it is just my opinion, most dog owners are oblivious to the discomfort that their dogs cause others.
I wish there was an answer, but IMHO your statement above is the reason that there will never be.
Old 02-25-2009, 01:28 PM   #27
GTO

Default what?

Too many dog owners think that everyone who must interact with their dog must enjoy their dog as they do. I have another friend whose dog insists on rubbing up against people and licking their hands. Every time I go to visit him it is impossible to get out of the car without this smelly mutt licking me. My friend stands their and laughs. I don't find it that funny.

Oh my God....a dog rubbing up against you and kissing your hands....how sick is that. Imagine, a pet showing their affection. Dogs are meant to be put outside in a muddy pen with a small house to keep them sheltered and away from people. Yes, I am being sarcastic. Ok, I can understand the whole barking thing, I hate that too. But showing affection...c'mon. Maybe its not the dog that should live the sheltered life......mmmm
Old 02-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #28
Orion

Default Sad reality....

Quote:
Unfortunately you can take that phrase and plug in any number of topics (some banned here now) and get the same end result.

"Most ______ are oblivious to the discomfort that ______cause others."

And that my friends is the whole problem with many people and their behavior.

So let's all be nice and look forward to ice out and peaceful summer boating!
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:29 PM   #29
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Unfortunately you can take that phrase and plug in any number of topics (some banned here now) and get the same end result.

"Most ______ are oblivious to the discomfort that ______cause others."

And that my friends is the whole problem with many people and their behavior.

So let's all be nice and look forward to ice out and peaceful summer boating!
I have to agree with Orion on this one. Mentally, as I was reading the complaints, I kept inserting "children" in place of "dogs" and "parents" in place of "owners." I can't tell you how many responses I started and discarded because I thought they weren't nice enough.

Thank you, Orion, for providing me with a relatively nice way to put my 2 cents in.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:39 PM   #30
Bear Islander

There IS a solution to dogs that run at large... Call the police. The first time the police show the owner will get a polite warning. If the dog continues to run free, call again.. and again. If you keep reporting it, and they keep breaking the law, they will end up losing the dog. Most people wake up and solve the problem before that happens.
Old 02-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #31
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
I have to agree with Orion on this one. Mentally, as I was reading the complaints, I kept inserting "children" in place of "dogs" and "parents" in place of "owners." I can't tell you how many responses I started and discarded because I thought they weren't nice enough.

Thank you, Orion, for providing me with a relatively nice way to put my 2 cents in.
There you go Rose opening up an even BIGGER can of worms!

Now that you said it, one of my great life's missions has been to ensure that my children were never a nuisance to any adult. I swore to myself that I would be vigilant with my kids on how to behave in public and especially around adults. Having grown up in a strict and loving family my parents always stressed the importance of correct public behavior. We were good and therefore we were brought many nice places. If we were not good we were NOT brought any place. All too often parents do not follow through with the threats (I.E. If you don't behave I'm turning the car around and we are not getting Ice Cream.) Well I am happy to say it only took me a couple of times (turning around and NOT getting my kids Ice Cream) before they got the hint... Daddy it SERIOUS! Being a good parent, like being a good dog owner, requires just a little extra effort. The beauty of the whole thing is that all it requires is LOVE and ATTENTION. How hard is that. Bad parents just like bad owners claim to love their "children" but just do not put in the time. I've seen well loved dogs with caring owners put in the time and attention and the dogs are so much better for it.
The point you made is so well taken. Most people are oblivious to others in so many ways. Whether dogs or kids I am an constantly amazed at some parents handling of their kids! The attitude "oh they're just being kids/dogs." No "you're just being lazy!"
Old 02-25-2009, 04:03 PM   #32
jmen24

Default Neighbor Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
There IS a solution to dogs that run at large... Call the police. The first time the police show the owner will get a polite warning. If the dog continues to run free, call again.. and again. If you keep reporting it, and they keep breaking the law, they will end up losing the dog. Most people wake up and solve the problem before that happens.
To add to this, most towns have a noise ordinance that limits noise between certain times, each town is different but a call to the police will keep the pressure on (at night anyway).

The last option, if you say the relationship is gone anyways is this, you simply have to train your neighbors the same way you would train a dog.

You will need a large outdoor light fixture (i am not talking about something from home depot, I am talking really big and bright). Have an electrician wire it up and mount to your house facing as much of the neighbors property and preferable the house. When the dog starts barking turn on the sun, when the dog stops turn out the light. Patience and persistance is the key, soon the owners will begin to see that when they control the dog they get rewarded. If they call the police just say that you turned on the light to see what the dog was alarming to. And if your light is big enough it will be bright during daylight hours as well.

Jmen
Old 02-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #33
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
To add to this, most towns have a noise ordinance that limits noise between certain times, each town is different but a call to the police will keep the pressure on (at night anyway).

The last option, if you say the relationship is gone anyways is this, you simply have to train your neighbors the same way you would train a dog.

You will need a large outdoor light fixture (i am not talking about something from home depot, I am talking really big and bright). Have an electrician wire it up and mount to your house facing as much of the neighbors property and preferable the house. When the dog starts barking turn on the sun, when the dog stops turn out the light. Patience and persistance is the key, soon the owners will begin to see that when they control the dog they get rewarded. If they call the police just say that you turned on the light to see what the dog was alarming to. And if your light is big enough it will be bright during daylight hours as well.

Jmen
I like it!!

The bottom line is we have to co-exist with our neighbors- including their faults and foibles, however, some people just don't get it and push the limits. To those that are having problems, I wish you luck. I had to reach an "understanding" with a neighborhood dog and its owner a while ago and it was not fun.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:16 PM   #34
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post

Jmen
HA HA HA... Or get one of those giant air horns and hold it down every time the dog barks.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:15 PM   #35
Rose

Quote:
Our neighbors two doors down had a dog that ran free. We were yelled at on several occasions by people driving by because the dog was in the street in front of our house. Unfortunately, one of the owners was a former dispatcher in the town, so calling the police was useless. I couldn't get down the street one day because the dog was in the middle of the road and wouldn't move. The person who I thought was the owner came down the driveway in her pick-up. I asked if it was her dog, just to make sure. The response was "Shut up...I'm trying to get him in the truck." My response is not fit for family viewing.

Eventually, that poor dog was hit by a truck. The driver never stopped, but our neighbor who lives between us and the owners saw it happen and took the dog to the vet, where it had to be put down.

Our Golden is very well behaved. He's not perfect, but I always considered his slip ups to be our fault and not his. And I don't expect owners, or parents for that matter, to get it right all the time...but I do like to see the effort.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 07:35 PM   #36
Webbsatwinni

I do understand the comparison between kids and dogs. When I am out with or without my kids, I get just as annoyed by the parents that leave there children in a situation that is going bad just because they are out to dinner or something and feel it is there right.

My bottom line opinion is that people in general should be more aware of their impact on the surroundings, whether it be noise, trash, lights, etc and how others may not like it. It is unrealistic to think that everyone will like everything others are doing, personal space is the key for me. But in the case of a dog, you can clearly tell who likes them and who doesn't and it is the owners personal responsibility to respect the space of others and keep the dog away from people that have no interest in petting or being licked. But if my daughters cr*p in your yard, eat food from your outside table or lick you, I will take them in the house and discipline them so they stop.

Where I do think that comparison is a little apples and oranges is that we were all kids once and without them, civilization would cease to exist.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:47 PM   #37
codeman671

We have 4 dogs and on any given weekend at the lake there are an additional 2-4 dogs hanging out with us. We use a Dogwatch hidden fence both at home and on the island so we can keep them relatively contained. Every once in a while someone will break out on the island but my neighbors do not mind. Their enormous German Shephard comes over for visits when he escapes as well.

At home in Dover we have a problem with our dogs barking from time to time and have a house near us that gives us the hairly eyeball from time to time because of it. What they don't seem to realize is that it is them that our dogs bark at. They walk slowly by our house probably 10 times a day, often with their dog. They let him crap on our lawn and other lawns in the neighborhood. My dogs are social and see them at the end of the driveway and think it is company coming to play. When they are not out and about, my dogs don't bark. We bring them in immediately when we hear them, but there are also many times when we hear a dog barking and go to get ours only to find out that it was someone elses in the neighborhood.

Having 4 dogs we don't mind barks, we tend to tune out neighbors dogs. Sometimes people need to think that they may be what is causing the neighbors dogs to bark. And quite frankly anyone that threatens to kill anothers dog for barking deserves a beating. I'd be happy to lend a hand. Dog attacks are a different situation, but barking???
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:38 PM   #38
TiltonBB

Sometimes people need to think that they may be what is causing the neighbors dogs to bark. And quite frankly anyone that threatens to kill anothers dog for barking deserves a beating. I'd be happy to lend a hand. Dog attacks are a different situation, but barking???[/QUOTE]

A person may be the reason a dog is barking, but I will respectfully disagree that he is "causing the neighbors dog to bark" If I steer my car into a tree, I caused it to hit the tree. If I light my house on fire, I caused it to burn down. The fact that my neighbors choose to keep an animal in their home and in their yard, and let it become a neighborhood nuisance is definitely not something I caused. There are many ways an owner can eliminate the negative impact their dog will have on others. If barking is a problem for your neighbors, then put a bark collar on your dog. Some dog owners think that it is OK to let their dog out for his nightly ritual and wait for it to bark to come back in. I disagree. If it disturbs your neighbors then you are out of line.

A neighbor has no more right to expect me to listen to their dog bark than I have to take the muffler off of my car and come and go at all hours of the night. The same neighbor that thinks (or doesn't think) that you should listen to their dog bark for an hour at 10PM would be upset if you ran your unmuffled car at 3000RPM for an hour at 10PM. I don't see any difference in the disrespect it shows for your neighbor.

My situation is that my neighbors large, loud dog barks because of their activities. If they are swimming in the lake or docking their boat, it is out there barking. It has nothing to do with me. I am usually inside my house, sometimes with the windows closed and the AC on, and I can still hear this mutt.

I agree that animals are like children, if you can't have them and control them so that they do not negatively impact the lives of others then you probably shouldn't have them.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #39
codeman671

Quote:
A person may be the reason a dog is barking, but I will respectfully disagree that he is "causing the neighbors dog to bark" If I steer my car into a tree, I caused it to hit the tree. If I light my house on fire, I caused it to burn down. The fact that my neighbors choose to keep an animal in their home and in their yard, and let it become a neighborhood nuisance is definitely not something I caused. There are many ways an owner can eliminate the negative impact their dog will have on others. If barking is a problem for your neighbors, then put a bark collar on your dog. Some dog owners think that it is OK to let their dog out for his nightly ritual and wait for it to bark to come back in. I disagree. If it disturbs your neighbors then you are out of line.
So if a neighbor is standing at the end of my driveway with their dog pissing on my mailbox post in plain sight of my dogs, which then causes my dogs to bark at them it is my dogs fault or my negligence as an owner??? So if I show up at your house and take a leak on your mailbox post in plain sight of your dog is it then your fault for your dog barking at me or mine for relieving myself on your property which causes your dog to bark?

If you are hanging out in front of my house unnecessarily with a dog and mine barks at you I applaud them. This is not being rude. If they are outside barking for no reason it is clearly mine. This is not the case in our situation.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #40
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
So if a neighbor is standing at the end of my driveway with their dog pissing on my mailbox post in plain sight of my dogs, which then causes my dogs to bark at them it is my dogs fault or my negligence as an owner??? So if I show up at your house and take a leak on your mailbox post in plain sight of your dog is it then your fault for your dog barking at me or mine for relieving myself on your property which causes your dog to bark?

If you are hanging out in front of my house unnecessarily with a dog and mine barks at you I applaud them. This is not being rude. If they are outside barking for no reason it is clearly mine. This is not the case in our situation.
I think we agree on this point: If I set foot on your property your dog has every right to protect your property by alerting you. I respect your right to own a dog and respect the right you have to protect your property.

If I walk down a public street in front of your house at 10:00PM, I should not have to listen to your dog bark and neither should your neighbors. Dog owners should respect the rights of others to peace and tranquility. My experience is that many do not. The quality of friends and neighbors lives should not be negatively impacted by the fact that someone else chooses to own a dog.

I have found it necessary to speak about dogs to neighbors on both sides of my house, in both cases after listening to continous barking for over 1/2 hour. In both situations the owners were outside with the dogs the entire time and chose to ignore the barking. Sorry if you disagree, but I find that ignorant. One neighbor was polite and put the dog in the house. That was over a year ago and we have not had a problem since. The other neighbor has ignored the problem for the last two years. Things will change this year. I do not intend to put up with it for another year.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:26 AM   #41
twoplustwo

Talking I like my dogs better than my neighbors, too...

... But now that the largest of my idiots has decided snowmobiles are evil, I feel bad for my neighbors as I'm constantly having to drag her back into the house to stop the barking.

Where's the alarm when a family of bears is around in the spring? Nowhere. But darned if she doesn't want to protect me from snowmobiles.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #42
chipj29

When we bought our house 12 years ago, our next door neighbor had the "welcome wagon" dog. Nikki would lay out on their lawn and greet all the cars as they drove by, then would wander to each house to say hello. Very cute dog, but was all over the neighborhood. One time I left my garage door open, and I came home to find Nikki sleeping on the cold cement floor on a hot summer day. No problem.
However...one morning I woke up to find Nikki sleeping on my dining room floor. I guess I had left the garage door open again, and she pushed open a door. I thought it was funny, but a bit too much. Not long after that, Nikki passed away. We actually missed her.
Nadia (06-17-2009)
Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 AM   #43
Bear Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
. . . Unfortunately, one of the owners was a former dispatcher in the town, so calling the police was useless. . .
If that was the case then you don't really have a dog problem, you have a police problem.

I would have called the police station and asked for a sit down with the police chief. The topic of the conversation would be abuse of police power and selective enforcement, not dogs. If that didn't solve the problem I would have moved along to the town manager and the selectmen. If that failed there is always the local paper and speaking out at the next town meeting.

Most people lose these battles because they quit. NEVER quit when you are in the right.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:31 AM   #44
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Most people lose these battles because they quit. NEVER quit when you are in the right.
Right.That reminds me of another thread.Nevermind.

For the most part,my neighborhood dogs that come and go on my property are welcome.I do though have one that will run up to my house and bark at me when I pull into my driveway and the dog lives 3 houses away.I just bark back louder and run at him.Doesn't stop him from barking but it makes me feel good!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #45
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
When we bought our house 12 years ago, our next door neighbor had the "welcome wagon" dog. Nikki would lay out on their lawn and greet all the cars as they drove by, then would wander to each house to say hello. Very cute dog, but was all over the neighborhood. One time I left my garage door open, and I came home to find Nikki sleeping on the cold cement floor on a hot summer day. No problem.
However...one morning I woke up to find Nikki sleeping on my dining room floor. I guess I had left the garage door open again, and she pushed open a door. I thought it was funny, but a bit too much. Not long after that, Nikki passed away. We actually missed her.

To me it's sad that dogs live such a short life and age so quickly.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:35 PM   #46
RI Swamp Yankee

I love dogs but don't have one. It does bother me when I have to clean off my shoes after cutting the grass or when the whatever hits the rotating blade.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #47
Grant

Barking? Poop? These are inconveniences. Allow me to share a scary story from this past summer:

I have two dogs -- golden retrievers. They don't bark, but they do poop. And, yes, I pick it up.

Well, I was taking them on their daily jaunt up the road -- as I've done with these and other dogs for years. Let's just say I walk this road every day that I'm at the Lake -- sometimes 2-3-4x a day. I've done so since the 1960s.

Well, this time, there's a rather large, obviously nasty shepherd-retriever mix BOLTING toward us -- teeth bare, heckles WAY up, head low, tail down. My dogs' first reaction is, "Yeah! Play time with new friend!"

WRONG.

With two retractable leashes in hand, I could not readily pick up a branch or rock to hit the attacker. He circled us, trying to get in closer, as I tried to insert myself between "it" and my dogs -- all the while, yelling at it to go home.

"Home" for the aggressor was a rented year-round property along the road (obviously a multiple-family unit these days, judging from the number of electric meters). The woman there, who had knowlingly left this NASTY dog outside without a leash or run, was making a futile attempt to call the dog back.

After about five minutes of the stand-off, I managed to wrangle both leashes into one hand, grope the ground for a suitably imposing limb, and take a few swings at the attacker. This, along with my own growls and the idiot woman's attempts to recall the dog, convinced it that this was not a fight worth pursuing.

I took my dogs immediately home, and went to town to find a good tube of pepper spray. Fortunately, my string of profanity apparently impacted her future leash decisions, because i didn't see the dog out again on subsequent passes up the road (all of which were done in the truck). I went armed on future walks and runs.

Beware: Even in the country, leaving your dog off leash is FOOLISH and irresponsible. Cars, pedestrians, porcupines (!), coyotes...you name it...the hazards are numerous. And, had I come across this dog again, I wouldn't think twice about denting his skull with a nice chunk of Winnipesaukee granite or emptying a can of spray into his eyes. And I'm a bona fide dog lover. Others may not be as tolerant -- and may not be as tolerant of far lesser offenses.

Dog ownership, like parenthood, is a responsibility.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #48
Pontoon Goon

Default Solve the poop problem

Remember the old trick where you would light a bag of dog poop on the offending neighbors stoop, ring the bell then hide and watch them stamp it out? Well if it happened to you back in 1964 it wasn't me unless your name is Mr. Lewton then it proberly was me. And it still makes me smile!

(No, I didn't intend to leave all that blank space the first time. Edited for formatting)

Last edited by Pontoon Goon; 02-27-2009 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Edited for formatting
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:07 PM   #49
Pineedles

Default "well" what?

Did you intend to leave all that blank space in your reply pontoongoon?
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:14 PM   #50
Argie's Wife

My dad worked as the animal control officer for Sanford, ME in the 70's/80's and often said:

"I'm not a dog catcher; I'm a people catcher. The dogs are just being dogs."

I love well-trained dogs and appreciate responsible owners. Unfortunately there's people who think that they have an entitlement when they adopt/buy a dog and have little consideration of others. Like BBTilton's neighbours, "You can't fix stupid."
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:54 PM   #51
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Funny I read all the posts and the one from Grant made me think of someones kid, not a dog like that. Dogs do things naturally. Bark, poop, play, howl, wail. Sometimes I think it is the kids, and yes I was one once, that need the leashes.

Keeping a dog outside on a run or chain creates great frustration in a dog and this is the how and why of barking in the yard. The dog most likely wants to be with it's owner. Yet the owner puts it outside thinking this is good for the dog and that it gets exercise this way. Not true. You need to walk your dog, head up, for at least 45 minutes twice a day. Running is preferred. Using different routes is preferred as well as to not "Bore" your dog. You will find your dog is more submissive and less "barkative" when it has been exercised. I used to train K9 dogs for police departments. There was a comment made as to a German Shepard mix as well. Home owners insurance companies can cancel your policy if they find out that you have a certain breed in your house. So be careful what you decide to bring home. Rotties, GS, Akita, Dalmations, Malamute, Dobermans, Chow Chow, Presa Canario's, Husky, Pit Bull American Staffordshire, to name most. There a re few comments here that do not bode well with me, in as far as what is proper or improper from the dogs behavioral stand point. Always remember it is never the dogs fault. So to strike a dog, no matter what it is doing is improper behavior on the humans standpoint. Unless a dog is corrected immediately for doing something wrong it is pointless. And the dog would have had to already learned that it was not the thing to do. If the dog was never taught to not approach people in an aggressive manner striking the dog will only enforce it's dislike of someone or something new. Sorry to rant a bit. But we have to remember who is actually at fault with bad dog behavior. I firmly believe a dog should NEVER be off leash, and do not NOT believe in retractable leashes. It teaches the dog no control, because the dog does believe or understand when the leash will be let out and at what time it should not be. Not sure if I worded that correctly, but the retractable leashes are another pointless tool in dog training. With proper training a dog should NEVER need a leash. But should always have one on. It teaches them limits.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #52
Grant

Lakesrider's point about the retractable leashes is correct. The old adage "give 'em an inch..." comes to mind. I have two rambunctious golden retrievers, and have walked them on both short leads and retractables. The younger dog, now pushing 2 yrs old, has obviously not had enough "fixed" leash training, as she loves to charge ahead. My mistake in not training her better on the short leash.

And I must second the "never off leash" comment as well. The only times mine are off leash at all is in my back yard, when they are doing their business. And someone is always there with them. Off-leash is just ASKING for trouble these days.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:12 AM   #53
tricia1218

Smile

We have a neighbor who to insist my dog (a dachshund) is responsible for going on his lawn. Funny thing is these droppings were clearly made by a much larger dog, and I have to laugh because while he is half joking/half serious accusing our dog of this monstrosity on his lawn, right next door is a great dane head staring at us.
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #54
nj2nh

Default Dog Tales

We have a Golden. She isn't perfect, but she sure tries. She loves people, but when we tell her to go upstairs or downstairs, she does.

What I don't understand is the mentality of those people who think that their opinion about dogs (or kids for that matter) is the only one that counts. Dogs should not be permitted to jump on someone under any circumstances. What if that person is older and not so sure on his or her feet? Disaster! What if is a child or even an adult who is afraid of dogs? It simply isn't fair to force a dog upon a person no matter what.

My neighbor here in Jersey has an older lab. THey let it out on their deck and then forget about her. She barks and barks. One Halloween evening, they left her out. She barked endlessly. I phoned them, but there was no answer. I figured they were spending the night with grandparents so I called the police. Just as I was getting through the phone menu (I didn't call 911), I heard their house alarm go off. They were letting in the dog. They didn't hear her barking. They let her out and went to bed. This dog scares my wimpy Golden even though they can't get at each other. My neighbors don't get it.

Too many people don't get it. If you wouldn't go up and hug a stranger, neighbor, friend, why would you let your dog jump on someone? Why do you think it is acceptable to let them roam into a neightbor's yard or on their boat if you wouldn't do it? I know the answer. The rules don't apply to some people. They love their dogs and everyone else must love their dogs, too.

Ticks me off completely!

nj2nh
Old 02-27-2009, 12:19 PM   #55
TomC

Default my dog doo story..

i don't have a dog, although as a kid I did, and I like dogs. I don't like dog deposits in my yard - but of course it happens from time to time from loose dogs. One day i was digging up the hatch to my septic tank in the front yard. Down the sidewalk comes a guy walking a large dog, i think it was a Mastiff. He picks my front lawn not 25 feet away from me to do his business. The dog owner makes eye contact with me. The dog finishes deposit and the dog and owner resume their progress down the sidewalk. No attempt to clean up or even apologize for this was made by the owner (had he apologized I would have just buried the turd in the hole I was digging or put it in the septic tank). So I took my spade which was already in my hand, scooped up the dog crap and began to follow the guy. We didn't get too far before he spun around and asked me what "I thought I was doing?" I told him I didn't think I was doing anything - what I knew I was doing was following him home so I could return his dog feces to his yard/lawn. He wasn't amused and said "C'mon man, just chuck it in the woods... I live a 1/2 mile from here - are you really going to carry that all the way?" There is a wooded/swampy area a couple of lots down from me and we were adjacent to it.

I of course didn't really want to walk all that way with a shovelful of dog excrement, so I did throw it into the woods. I told the guy to clean up after his pet (the ordinance in town requires it) and if he can't do that, to find someplace other than my lawn to let his dog relieve himself. I hoped I made my point.

I have seen this guy from time to time on the sidewalk. He dosen't stop near my house any more...

of course none of this was the dogs fault.
TomC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #56
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
...Dog ownership, like parenthood, is a responsibility.
When my next door neighbor on the other side of me moved in, they had a beautiful golden retreiver. But the dog was never leashed or kept in their yard. One night not long after they moved in, I was lighting off fireworks with other neighbors, and we had a great time. Everyone had gone home, and I was outside talking to another neighbor, and we heard a strange sound coming from his yard. We walked closer and realized it was splashing coming from his pool. We ran over to find the golden retreiver splashing like crazy trying to get out of the pool (inground pool, with only a ladder, no stairs). There were splashes all around the pool deck, indicating to me that the dog was desperately trying to get out. We got the exhausted dog out of the pool, and he ran home. When we pulled him out, he was almost dead weight, I think he was about 5 minutes away from giving up, if that. I am positive we saved Dillon's life that night.
Dillon lived a long life, and passed away about a year ago, at age 15. I just wish my neighbor (who I am very good friends with now) had done more to keep him in his own yard, instead of roaming the 'hood.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #57
gravy boat

Default owner responsibility

As a dog owner (since May 07), I always pick up after our girl (unless off trail in the woods or in designated areas at rest stops). We are fortunate that she was well trained by her previous master(s) regarding barking. When told to hush, she typically will and if she continues we remove her from the situation/area.

At night she may bark a few times before finding her place and doing her business -- and I believe this may be her way of ensuring there are no predatory animals in the area that will attack while she is prone. The neighboors have sled dogs and they are quite loud....and persistent...many evenings. She will converse with them when outside, but if it's more than one or two minutes I will bring her inside. Our other neighboors have a German shepherd they keep in a pen and scold her when she barks....it breaks my heart as I never see them walking her or bringing her anywhere with them. Why have a dog if only to keep in chained or penned up? No wonder she's barking -- she has tons of pent up energy that needs to be released and has little socialization during the day.

If I know someone is not fond of dogs, I do my best to ensure that my dog stays away from the person. A leash solves it (for the dog, silly).

Like some folks said -- it is the owner's responsibilty to train their dogs, mind their dogs, protect their dogs and clean up after their dogs at all times. Dogs will be dogs. They bark, yhey poop when they feel the urge and aren't picky about where they leave their calling card. ;-)

GB
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #58
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default And now.. a comical break in the discussion

I've heard "Dog Bites Man" and "Man Bites Dog" but this is the first I've seen of this behavior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O15DXv3Vwg

Now back to your regular programing....
Old 03-02-2009, 07:54 AM   #59
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

That was pretty funny. It was a nice way to start the morning with a good laugh! What a silly dog!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 06:28 PM   #60
weim2

I am lucky enough to have no neighbors. We live in the middle of 35 acres and my dog does not want to loose sight of me and wander away. So I guess one answer is to buy enough land to shelter yourself.
weim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:49 PM   #61
aopel

Default Dogs better than rude neighbors

Quote:
In general I am not an animal fan. I think that if your dog barks for more than 5 minutes and your neighbors can hear it, it should be brought inside. If that doesn't work you should buy a bark collar.
We have one particular neighbor that seem to think an hour or two of loud barking is fine. When I have spoken to them they take offense and say that the dog is "just playing" One night after 11:00PM they came in in their boat and the dog barked for 20 minutes straight while they dropped the passengers at their dock and put the boat on it's mooring. I finally stepped out on the front deck and said "would you please do something about the dog" They responded "he's just happy to see us, go back in your house and watch TV"
So what is the next step? Call the police? Take matters in to my own hands? The neighbors don't seem to realize that the barking is unacceptable. They are well aware that we have a problem with it. This has been going on for two years. I refuse to let my peace and tranquility be taken away by rude neighbors. It looks like it is time for an ugly confrontation!
Dennis - you might try walking over to your neighbor's house, introducing yourself as you are new to the shore, and talking through possible solutions. Shouting from your deck - at a family returning from a nice dinner - is not an adult way to respond to a problem. Shouting from your deck IS an ugly confrontation. BTW - the dog was NOT barking for 20 minutes - it was the time it takes to motor into the dock b/c you were shouting as I was tying the boat up. The dog greets us when we come home. Get over it.

For others reading this, Dennis has shouted at me while I was swimming with my 2 year old daughter, then he threatened to kill my dog, and a year later he shouted from his deck late at might. Not once has he introduced himself, though I went and tried to welcome him to the shore as he bought the Fuller place a few years back and we have known all our neighbors for years and never once had a bad word with them. We have two kids, lots of friends and we love to enjoy the lake with swimming, laughing and yes, dogs that bark when we play. We do our best to limit the dogs barking but summertime fun is exciting and that's what happens when kids, dogs and families play at the lake.

Dennis has chosen to shout at us instead of getting to know his neighbors. We have been on Dockham Shore for 5 generations and never experienced anyone so rude. He continues to offer threats - put in writing above - instead of dialogue. My 81 year old mother invited Dennis to her 80th birthday party last summer and he didn't even have the decency to rsvp.

So Dennis, enough complaining on the forums about our dogs. Try coming to meet Jane and the rest of us and maybe we can work something out. Otherwise, save your pennies and buy enough land where you never have to hear anyone else enjoying the lake.

Dockham Shore is a special place with a lot of houses close by. We treat each other with respect and that means talking to each other, not shouting demands into the night. We hope you too can learn to love this special spot and value the community that has been here long before you moved into the Fuller homestead.
aopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:59 PM   #62
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Dogs and Barking

So that is an interesting tid bit with feuding neighbors that I will stay right the heck out of.

But what I do want to comment on here is dogs barking in general... People tend to forget this is how dogs communicate..... Sure there are instances where it can get over whelming and annoying and I woudl say that 20 mins is a bit excessive.... but dogs bark this is what they do... Sometimes they are happy and excited, sometimes really ticked off... other times they are just trying to let there owners know... that something isn't quite right. The problem is people.... people and only people.... people have gotten to use to having things just they way they want them.... well the truth of the matter is the world isn't perfect... so get used to it.... take a barking dog for just what it is, one of gods creatures trying to communicate..... you know I bet if you could talk to a dog, the first comment about people would probably be that it can't understand why we can't just be happy relaxing on the dock for an afternoon......
luvmypups (06-04-2009)
Old 05-13-2009, 05:49 PM   #63
tis

LOL LIfor! I agree. We will stay out of that one.
But as a great dog lover, I would never allow my dogs to bark and disturb my neighbors and I would expect the same of them. A hello bark or I hear something bark for a minute is ok, but steady is just not right. It is very inconsiderate and annoying. I also believe it is against the law as well. At night when you are trying to sleep it is especially annoying.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:03 PM   #64
aopel

Quote:
Things will change this year. I do not intend to put up with it for another year.
Dennis, you might consider what threats you put in print!

What Dennis has left out of this story is that instead of buying a house he could afford, he bought property he feels compelled to rent out all summer long. So the noise of 10 new renters every week is something we are supposed to live with but a dog greeting is intolerable? Before Dennis arrived, the Fullers were one family enjoying the lake. Now the porperty has been turned into a commercial enterprise, with all the early morning and late night nose that comes with big rental groups.

Not to fear, I won't be shouting about the renters. I can live and let live - and only ask for the same.
aopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #65
tis

Sounds like Dennis is going to have to quiet down his renters and you are going to have to quiet down your dogs. I am glad I don't live in the middle of you two.
Old 05-15-2009, 06:24 AM   #66
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Sounds like Dennis is going to have to quiet down his renters and you are going to have to quiet down your dogs. I am glad I don't live in the middle of you two.

Yeah you both have things you can work on. Owning there for years with no issues doesn't automatically make it "alright." A bark or two is fine and getting mad at that is unreasonable. On the other hand letting a dog bark too much longer is not right either (yes, I also own a dog.) I also agree about the renters but not sure how you control that, as the home owner that is. Tough situation and two wrongs don't make a right.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #67
Mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
LOL LIfor! I agree. We will stay out of that one.
But as a great dog lover, I would never allow my dogs to bark and disturb my neighbors and I would expect the same of them. A hello bark or I hear something bark for a minute is ok, but steady is just not right. It is very inconsiderate and annoying. I also believe it is against the law as well. At night when you are trying to sleep it is especially annoying.
I wish all dog owners felt the way you do. I for one do and my dogs would not be allowed to "power bark". I have a neighbor who's dog barks all day at anything. This is the neighbors fault not the dogs. He is to lazy to take the time to calm the dog after the dog sees or hears or smells something. To often the dog is ignored which is also sad for the doggy.
Mat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #68
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up What a great thread!

Everyone is acting very civilized... thank you!

Our dog has been trained to stay in our yard at the lake off the leash. Being a Cairn he can be rather suborn at times. Mac would try to push the boundaries. We did not care for leashing him, because there are so many obstacles to get tangled on. So I went looking for a solution. I found Pet-Agree. The reviews were quite good on this product and it was only $30. I did heed the warnings of other consumers and we have not let Mac see the device. So far it works like a charm and now we hardly use it. It does work when he gets too barky. I must admit he doesn’t pay too much attention to it when a duck is invading our docks or when it thunders, which thankfully isn’t a problem too often.

I just found this website that offers lots of ultrasonic control devices for your dog or the pesky neighbors dog. Most solutions are under $100. When you are at the end of your rope, it might be a good investment. If you try something found here, let us know how your choice works.

*Years ago we tried an ultrasonic training collar, which was definitely a mistake. They are good if you don’t mind a neurotic dog. Think long and hard before putting one on your beloved pooch. If you do get one I recommend that you try it on yourself first.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:25 AM   #69
Rattlesnake Gal

Question Protective Dog With Wandering Dogs

There have not been too many dogs wandering through from other parts of the island. The first time for both was last year, which really has me concerned. Mac has become territorial and protective against other dogs, which is very worrisome for me. It wasn’t always this way. He was socialized when younger and we could take him everywhere, even to The Weirs during bike week.

Years ago at one of our sons baseball games, a wandering dog became interested in Mac and stuck his nose to his butt and just stayed there sniffing. The other dog did not heed the growling and didn’t back off. This dog was big and I was afraid to get too close to it. I lead Mac away, but the dog stayed stuck. I now regret not taking the risk, but still think the outcome could have been much worse. Ever since this event Mac goes all Cujo on other dogs. Being a 16-pound dog I fear he isn’t going to win a fight against a bigger one. My vet tells me that at age 8 ½ he is what he is and to keep him away from others, which we do. Wandering dogs into our yard could be catastrophic for my little puppers. Even on a leash he could get killed.

Mac was kenneled last November. I warned them that he was aggressive to others. When I picked him up, the woman told me that he didn’t pay any mind to the other dogs. She is sure that he is just protective of his family and stomping grounds. Any ideas? We control where Mac goes, the wild card is a loose island dog.

Thanks!
RG
Old 05-15-2009, 11:04 AM   #70
Argie's Wife

RG - if you've reacted to your dog's aggressiveness around other dogs, then you have reinforced his behavior and made it "okay" for him to keep it up (in his mind.)

I've recommended it before and I'll post it again only because it is such a great book to have:

Good Owners, Great Dogs by Brian Kilcommons

The author recommends methods that work - easy to use and based on positive reinforcement. He trains owners to train their dogs. Most of the time, dogs are just being dogs - they are a product of their breeding and environment. This book will even address your situation with your little terrorist and tell you how to correct your behavior so he stops being aggressive.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #71
Rattlesnake Gal

Smile Thanks

Thanks for the book recommendation, it's already been ordered.

I cannot say that we have reinforced this behavior, exactly the opposite. A big issue with a small dog is that even a controlled encounter with another dog can result in serious injury or death to the small dog, which makes avoidance as we have been doing the seemingly only course of action.

Hopefully there is something in there to help us.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:36 PM   #72
Argie's Wife

You'd be surprised what "reinforces" a dog's behavior - sometimes it's what you do without realizing it (sucking in your breathe or being tense) - not what you say - that makes a difference. I've been around dogs all my life and had to change some of things I did because I learned I was adding to a certain problem without meaning to... I really like this book because it focuses on reward for good behavior - not punishing the dog just for being a dog.
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
Rose (05-16-2009)
Old 05-18-2009, 08:19 AM   #73
SIKSUKR

Default Dog Whisperer

It sounds like AW is preaching what Ceasar from the Dog Whisperer show reinforces in every one of his shows.Pretty amazing to watch the immediate response he gets.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #74
jrc

I did a search for the dog walking topic and found this law by accident. Maybe a little late, not that this topic has turn to dog psychology.

466:31 Dogs a Menace, a Nuisance or Vicious. –
II. Under this section, a dog is considered to be a nuisance, a menace, or vicious to persons or to property under any or all but not limited to the following conditions:
(b) If it barks for sustained periods of more than 1/2 hour, or during the night hours so as to disturb the peace and quiet of a neighborhood or area, not including a dog which is guarding, working, or herding livestock, as defined in RSA 21:34-a, II(a)(4);

BTW I love Cesar's show, but you all do realize that it is TV show? It's not all skittles and rainbows in the real world of dogs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (05-18-2009), LIforrelaxin (05-18-2009)
Old 05-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #75
jmen24

Another thing to remember is that your dog will be more aggressive and more likely to have an issue with another dog while at the end of a leash. It feels to the dog like they have no place to go. If you are ever in a situation that "seems" it is going badly (remember that dogs communicate with body language that you and I cannot see) I recommend that you remove the lease from the dog, only if you can without putting yourself in danger. If your dog is a Type A it will let the other dog know who is boss. If it is type B it will allow the other dog to do its thing. Either way it gets settled on there terms without the owners energy getting in the way. There are very obvious examples of when not to do this, but always remember that all dogs have the instinct to protect themselves, humans do not and it is much easier to break up a dog fight after the initial few seconds are over and one dog has taken control. You can get in a lot of trouble trying to prevent an fight from happening. Your emotion connect will infact make your dog more aggressive, so step back and collect yourself before rushing in. It will allow you to put your self in the best position to separate the two animals and keep them apart.

I know that we all want to protect our dogs from injury during a fight, but remember a fight over dominance is not going to result in serious injury (typically). Dogs that kill other dogs have screws loose whether it the owner or something that happened to the dog, but you are always better off removing the dog from the lease and collecting your dog after, than to try and prevent something from happening.

This experience comes from more than 9 years of helping a family member with sled dogs (20-45 at a time). I am not a dog trainer but have been given a lot of information about how to read dogs and when to get involved and when to step back and get an idea of what is happening first.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #76
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post

466:31 Dogs a Menace, a Nuisance or Vicious. –
II. Under this section, a dog is considered to be a nuisance, a menace, or vicious to persons or to property under any or all but not limited to the following conditions:
(b) If it barks for sustained periods of more than 1/2 hour, or during the night hours so as to disturb the peace and quiet of a neighborhood or area, not including a dog which is guarding, working, or herding livestock, as defined in RSA 21:34-a, II(a)(4);
I had always wondered if this was specified somewhere..... I guess in America we do have laws for just about everything....

That being said, as many other have commented 30 mins or even my originally stated 20 mins of barking is no doubt to much....
Old 05-18-2009, 08:00 PM   #77
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I had always wondered if this was specified somewhere..... I guess in America we do have laws for just about everything....

That being said, as many other have commented 30 mins or even my originally stated 20 mins of barking is no doubt to much....
"Bow Wow, is usually sufficient"!.... here on the Lake.... However, I am not an expert!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:26 AM   #78
luvmypups

Thumbs down

Quote:
A "BARK" collar??? .......right. I think your a grouch that needs to go live somewhere with no neighbors. What are people supposed to do while their dog is in their boat and barking?? Their hands are tied , you cant make a dog stop barking. Your the grouchy neighbor that no one likes and doesnt let anyone on their lawn .
luvmypups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 08:24 PM   #79
Nadia

Talking A good one...

Quote:
Every time the dog annoys you call them on the phone at 4 AM the next morning and bark for a few minutes. If you have the guts, tell them who you are.
LOL! You could always record the actual barking and play it for them over the phone, or if they don't answer at 4 am, leave it on their machine! That's a great idea BI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmypups View Post
A "BARK" collar??? .......right. I think your a grouch that needs to go live somewhere with no neighbors. What are people supposed to do while their dog is in their boat and barking?? Their hands are tied , you cant make a dog stop barking. Your the grouchy neighbor that no one likes and doesnt let anyone on their lawn .
Whew! You said it! I second your opinion. Interesting to see neighbors bump into eachother on the winni forum. There's always two sides to every story for sure.
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:12 AM   #80
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default This is good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
It sounds like AW is preaching what Ceasar from the Dog Whisperer show reinforces in every one of his shows.Pretty amazing to watch the immediate response he gets.
Ceasar has mastered the ability to "read" dogs.

I found this interesting and useful. Best to know what your dealing with when you, or you and your dog when out for a walk, and encounter another dog.

http://www.pawsacrossamerica.com/interpret.html
Old 06-06-2009, 06:41 AM   #81
BGB2

Default Barking Parrot

A friend's wife has two small yapping annoying dogs. Joe, the friend, got a parrot with the idea of teaching the parrot to tell the dogs to "#!x% shut up." Instead, the parrot imitates the barking of the dogs and their telephone. Now he listens to constant barking, plus he sometimes answers the ringing parrot.

There are worse things than having a neighbor with a barking dog.
BGB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BGB2 For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (06-06-2009)
Old 06-06-2009, 06:58 AM   #82
tis

I hate to say it but I don't think your friend was too smart to think a parrot would not learn to imitate the yapping dogs! But I loved the story!
Old 06-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #83
Nadia

Smile Heh Heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGB2 View Post
A friend's wife has two small yapping annoying dogs. Joe, the friend, got a parrot with the idea of teaching the parrot to tell the dogs to "#!x% shut up." Instead, the parrot imitates the barking of the dogs and their telephone. Now he listens to constant barking, plus he sometimes answers the ringing parrot.

There are worse things than having a neighbor with a barking dog.
That's funny, and it reminds me of a really funny bird who belongs to the beloved and missed Pepper. When Pepper went away on business or vacation I would house-sit and take care of her pets. A beautiful macaw named Reeka lives with Waldo & Pepper and their loving little hot dog Fritz. Without any predictability Reeka will imitate Pepper's voice to a "T" and randomly yell "FRITZ! Wanna go out?" And little old Fritz would bumble off the couch, across the floor and go stand beside the door wagging his tail. She would also ask "Want a treat?" Poor dog. He would come out to the kitchen and look around for Pepper, wanting his treat. The bird could really torment the dog when she wanted to. I also remember being at one end of the house and yelling to my friend who was out in the garage changing their oil. I yelled out "Hey Roger..." and after a short pause the bird yelled back "WHAT?" Got us all confused
Old 06-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #84
Nadia

Quote:
Things will change this year. I do not intend to put up with it for another year.
This statement here is a threat, whether or not it is direct or indirect it is still a threat. If what he was planning on doing to change it were a legal activity he would have posted it here in the first place, and not left one to wonder. I would print this thread out and turn it in to the local PD. If anything, print it out and keep it in a safe place. If something does happen to your property or animals, you have a lead for an investigation to follow if the perpetrator is not caught immediately. Anyone who promotes cruelty to animals or suggests violence toward them as a solution should be carefully observed. Some of the most dangerous serial killers, rapists and criminals began displaying cruelty to animals as young children, before their anger turned to humans. It's a well known fact--
Old 06-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #85
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadia View Post
This statement here is a threat, whether or not it is direct or indirect it is still a threat. If what he was planning on doing to change it were a legal activity he would have posted it here in the first place, and not left one to wonder. I would print this thread out and turn it in to the local PD. If anything, print it out and keep it in a safe place. If something does happen to your property or animals, you have a lead for an investigation to follow if the perpetrator is not caught immediately. Anyone who promotes cruelty to animals or suggests violence toward them as a solution should be carefully observed. Some of the most dangerous serial killers, rapists and criminals began displaying cruelty to animals as young children, before their anger turned to humans. It's a well known fact--
So............When I tell my children I won't put up with something anymore, that is a threat right? (Sorry, direct or indirect, not sure) I like to help my kids out, so when I make these "threats" in the future I will write them down so they can go straight to the "local PD" I'll make sure that they keep it in a safe place, good advice!

I know that displaying cruelty to animals is how it starts. I sure hope I don't become one of the "most dangerous serial killers, rapists and criminals" Thanks for the "heads up"

Hey, and thanks for keeping this post short. I am really tired from reading all your other posts!
Old 06-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #86
Nadia

Default Waaaaaaaaaaaah

Quote:
So............When I tell my children I won't put up with something anymore, that is a threat right? (Sorry, direct or indirect, not sure) I like to help my kids out, so when I make these "threats" in the future I will write them down so they can go straight to the "local PD" I'll make sure that they keep it in a safe place, good advice!

I know that displaying cruelty to animals is how it starts. I sure hope I don't become one of the "most dangerous serial killers, rapists and criminals" Thanks for the "heads up"

Hey, and thanks for keeping this post short. I am really tired from reading all your other posts!
You have children? Did you know statistically people who are violent toward their animals are more likely to abuse their children? Now you do. Learn something new every day! Do they make bark collars for people?
Old 06-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #87
pats fan

Default At least be honest!

Nadia,
This is supposed to be a fun, informative forum. I have gone back and reread TiltonBB's comments and I have yet to find one in which he states being creul or violent toward any animal. What are you talking about? In fact BB's posts are all well thought out, well writen and very intelligent sounding. You are telling him that he is violent toward animals and making threats toward animals? What? I love animals and have always had animals so I would be the first to tell him what a jerk he was if he was cruel to animals. He does not want to listen to barking dogs and clearly states that OWNERS should take better care of their animals. He does not blame animals for any of their barking, he blames owners and says they should be more responsible and considerate. You are comparing him to a rapist and murderer? Are you nuts? Reread all of BB's posts and show me where he supports violence toward any animal or person. Wow. Get back to making this fun and at least be honest with your posts.
pats fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:51 PM   #88
Nadia

Quote:
Originally Posted by pats fan View Post
Nadia,
This is supposed to be a fun, informative forum. I have gone back and reread TiltonBB's comments and I have yet to find one in which he states being creul or violent toward any animal. What are you talking about? In fact BB's posts are all well thought out, well writen and very intelligent sounding.
"creul"...."well writen"...time to hire a new rep TiltonBB.

pats fan...I am becoming quickly bored with your futile attempts to cover up your friends misdirected anger, and I am goying to pute you on mi ignour list.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:35 AM   #89
pats fan

Nadia,
Sorry for the typos. As you stated in a previous post you are one of the best ever on a keyboard. Not all of us are! If the best you can do is pick apart typos rather than face the issues perhaps a forum indended to kindly debate differences of opinion and all topics in general is not for you. I am not trying to attack you as I have already stated. You don't get that because you always go to the negative. I am not angry, not friends with TiltonBB and not trying to be negative toward you. This all started because I told you how it sounded to the general public to make the comments you made about Erica. Then I followed to the pets thread because I was having so much fun reading the banter between you and BB. Here I just had to defend him because you accused him of being violent toward animals and making threats and I could not see where he had done that. Not everyone will always agree with you, accept that and don't go on attack because of it.
pats fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 12:35 PM   #90
Nadia

Thumbs down Totally boring...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pats fan View Post
Nadia,
Sorry for the typos. As you stated in a previous post you are one of the best ever on a keyboard. Not all of us are! If the best you can do is pick apart typos rather than face the issues perhaps a forum indended to kindly debate differences of opinion and all topics in general is not for you. I am not trying to attack you as I have already stated. You don't get that because you always go to the negative. I am not angry, not friends with TiltonBB and not trying to be negative toward you. This all started because I told you how it sounded to the general public to make the comments you made about Erica. Then I followed to the pets thread because I was having so much fun reading the banter between you and BB. Here I just had to defend him because you accused him of being violent toward animals and making threats and I could not see where he had done that. Not everyone will always agree with you, accept that and don't go on attack because of it.
OK I am becoming very bored with you, very quickly but I will try to respond to your post the best I can. FYI I never said I was "the best" on the keyboard. I said I type very fast, which is the reason for my long, long, long, long posts that TiltonBB or "Dennis", has openly expressed his distaste for. Darn! Another thing Dennis doesn't like about me! First it was my avatar, then my signature, then my title, now my posts. What can I do to please Dennis so I don't cause him any further annoyance... Dennis is a grouchy, miserable person who thinks the world revolves around him. That statement has been verified here on the forum and embarrassingly enough, by his own neighbors!!!

Now pats fan, I am not avoiding anything by picking apart your "typos". Truth is, I really don't feel like arguing when the answer to your question is "spelled" right out for you (pun fully intended) in this thread. However, if you insist I answer you, so be it. I am an animal lover, entitled to my own opinion as well. I, along with a large majority, believe bark collars are incredibly cruel and inhumane. How would you like it if I sent an electrical jolt through your body every time you spoke? Dogs bark because that's how they communicate. Not only are they physically tormenting, I have read many studies and articles describing the negative effects these devices have on a dog's psyche. This is where I find him guilty of condoning cruelty. Not only does he say it, but the manner in which he does suggests he would not think twice about treating a human the same way. In fact if you read his responses fully, and not selectively, you will see that he has demonstrated this for us already.

You only make reference to him suggesting I change my choice of words, but you leave out the other insults surrounding this remark. His misguided attempt at trying to make me look like a piece of $#*& in the other thread is for one, off-topic. For second, the result of him pushing a personal agenda and for third, inappropriate. There is a much better way to respond to people. He could have sent a PM like: "Hey, I know your upset, but you might want to change your wording so it doesn't look reflect on Erica negatively". What's so hard about that? Answer: It's very hard when your intention is to humiliate and annoy someone publicly, and make it look like your only making a "helpful suggestion". Feed that BS to someone else please.

Another thing, I'm sick and tired of hearing about the Lobster Pound thread. It's a dead issue. Drop it. Don in particular has asked all forum members, including TiltonBB, to drop the issue. What is it he does not understand about that? Not to mention, I do not work for the Lobster Pound any longer. I would appreciate if TiltonBB would not further affiliate me with the Lobster Pound, or any comments made by their employee's or rep's and vice versa. Don't unfairly blame the Lobster Pound for my behavior. The ties have been severed. Get over it. I am not attacking you. You don't like my responses to your posts so you say I'm attacking you. If you want to make a good argument, I suggest you use proper grammar and correct spelling. It's beyond a typo when your posts contain 2-5 spelling errors each. Spelling and grammar are highly valued in this forum, and it also adds credibility to your argument.

The only thing that made me slightly angry at all was the manner in which TiltonBB spoke to me in the Diamond Island thread. It was almost like being at Stephanie's funeral, and having him come over and tap me on the shoulder to say "Your crying too loud, and too much". It did piss me off. Now I'm not grieving correctly...whatever. TiltonBB needs to get over himself and his issues. People who constantly insult and attack others have issues in their own lives that need to be addressed. I guarantee you if this were to happen in person, or face-to-face, well...it wouldn't happen at all. Although I have made mistakes in the past here on the forum, and in "real life" too, I don't think my post deserved TiltonBB's nasty, cruel response. Stephanie was a friend, and it really saddens me to come to terms with the fact I will never see her again. I made a wrong choice of words, my post was too long, I used too many I's, Me's, and my self's, and I stole the spot light. When indeed the truth is nobody put the attention on me better then TiltonBB, it's difficult to share your thoughts and experience without using I's, Me's, there was no need to bring up the Lobster Pound, and considering the topic we should all show each other a little respect. Especially if this forum is the "friendly" and "kind" one you describe. However, I could be wrong. And I quote pats fan:

"If the best you can do is pick apart typos rather than face the issues perhaps a forum indended to kindly debate differences of opinion and all topics in general is not for you."
Old 06-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #91
hazelnut

Quote:
[B]Spelling and grammar are highly valued in this forum, and it also adds credibility to your argument.
Really

Quote:
... He could have sent a PM like: "Hey, I know your upset, but you might want to change your wording so it doesn't look reflect on Erica negatively". What's so hard about that? Answer: It's very hard when your intention is to humiliate and annoy someone publicly, and make it look like your only making a "helpful suggestion". Feed that BS to someone else please.
Hmmmmmmmm?
Old 06-14-2009, 03:33 PM   #92
tis

Don't feel too bad, Nadia, I have been criticized for my SHORT posts! I don't ever have a lot of time to be on the computer even though I love it, so I do it as quickly as possible. Personally, I don't read the posts when they are long, I skim them. I was always taught that you lose people's attention when you post too much and I find with me it is true. I, also type very quickly so that part doesn't bother me, but I just don't have the time and figure others will be like me and not really read a long post anyway. Sometimes though, it is necessary, but if it's not, I keep them as short a possible, cut right to the chase!
Old 06-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #93
SIKSUKR

Quote:
You have children? Did you know statistically people who are violent toward their animals are more likely to abuse their children? Now you do. Learn something new every day! Do they make bark collars for people?
Wow!Reading your last two posts makes me wonder why anyone that feels this strongly about child abuse and preach to others about it would have a pediphile as their avatar.Very strange.