Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
annergoQuon

Default Need help!! I need to remove cat smell

Sorry this might be off topic.

My cat is getting old and peeing everywhere. grrrr!

I need to remove cat pee odor from a carpet. Does anyone no a good product or household remedy to remove cat pee from carpet?

thanks in advance.

andrew
annergoQuon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
suem1011

Default Way off topic but . . .

Use Nature's Miracle in the white bottle with red writing. They make one specifically for Cats. Soak area VERY well with solution. Reapply as needed. I swear by it.

Good luck.
suem1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
wifi

I have one that sprays. Another good product is "Simple Solution", I know its sold at the Laconia Pet Center. I put it in a spray bottle.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
Argie's Wife

Welcome aboard!

It's a little disturbing to find a post on this subject in the Restaurant Information & Reviews forum....

(Just messin' with ya...)

Try good ol' Borax - it's cheap and easy to use and it just WORKS! Nature's Miracle is good but I can never seem to find it without making a special trip to a pet store.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
hoopdawg

1. If the cat has recently urinated on the carpet, first absorb as much of the cat urine as possible using paper towels or an old towel. Place clean paper towels over the cat urine area and tread on them so as to absorb as much of the urine as possible. Repeat with dry towels until no more moisture can be absorbed.

If the cat urine has dried and you are not sure where the soiled area is you can use a black light (pictured above) to detect it. In a darkened room the black light will pick up urine and other stains. Hand held black lights can be purchased for between $15 to $25

2. Next, wet the area with a solution of 50% white vinegar and 50% water. Make sure you use enough of the solution to penetrate the fibers deep down. Allow it to almost dry. You can assist drying by blotting with paper towels as described above. If you own a wet and dry vacuum extractor use that to remove excess moisture.
The acidity of the vinegar will neutralize the ammonia in the cat urine.

3. Apply a liberal amount of baking soda over the affected area and drizzle it with a quarter of a cup of hydrogen peroxide mixed with a teaspoon of liquid dishwashing detergent. (not caustic detergent that you put in a dishwasher) Work it in with a scrubbing brush or your fingers (be sure to wear rubber gloves) to dissolve the baking soda and work it down into the carpet. Allow it to dry. Then vacuum.

The vinegar will neutralize the ammonia and hydrogen peroxide is a powerful oxidizer capable of killing bacteria which cause the urine smells. Baking soda is a well known deodorizer which absorbs odors. Sprinkle it on your carpet monthly then vacuum up to keep your carpet smelling fresh all the time.

Important. Never use ammonia or ammonia-based products on the carpet. One of the ingredients of urine is ammonia and your cat may well be encouraged to re-offend in the same area if it detects the smell of ammonia. Many household cleaner cleaners contain ammonia so be sure to read the label.

You may have to repeat the above process a few times for heavily soiled areas.
hoopdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #6
angela4design

Thumbs up Safe enough for a cat, strong enough for a skunk

I use a great product called Pet Magic! It's safe enough to use directly on animals, but strong enough to even remove SKUNK odor!

It ELIMINATES, not just COVERS stains and odors
Pet Magic helps to eliminate animal odors and also helps eliminate stains created by pet urine and fecal matter. Pet Magic is safe for use on pet bedding, litter boxes, pet cages, birdcages, crates, carpet and can even be sprayed directly on cats and dogs.
Pet Magic uses all-natural enzymes to breakdown stains and odors.
It can also be used directly in the air for general deodorizing. Spray it on carpets, upholstered furniture or drapery to absorb even the toughest odors. GlobalCare™ Pet Magic is enzyme-based, non-toxic and eco-friendly!

But you don't have to take just my word for it... Click here for Video Product Demo, Product Reviews and Ordering Info. ($9.95)
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
sa meredith

Default Bad news...

We went thru this exact same thing, and put up with it for almost two years, when out two Scottish Folds got old, and became ill. After 14/15 years, it was too hard to "end it", so we chased cat pee thru the house for a long time. It created a lot of stress.
As for all the products listed in this thread, we tried them all, based on recommendations from everyone we asked. And I can honestly say, they all work temporarily, NONE WORK PERMANENTLY. The smell seems to find it's way back. But, if the cat is old/ill, and is going to continue to pee, does it matter?
In the end, there is only one way to eliminate the problem, which we finally chose.
And then had every shred of carpeting in the house replaced.
And could once again have house guests.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #8
MJM

Our cat has only peed outside the litterbox once EVER, and of course it was on our almost-new, very expensive couch.

After trying many products as well as home remedies, we found only this to work:

http://www.odorxit.com/
MJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
Nadia

Wink My tale of cat urine woes....

I have to agree with SAMeredith, from hands on experience in this area. I have pulled many carpets because of the inability to get rid of the smell. Homeowners spend millions of dollars each year on products to remove/repel pet stain odors from their carpets. However, the truth of the matter is cat urine is unique in it's chemical structure and almost immediately after the cat/s urinate on the carpet the urine penetrates the carpet, the pads below, and eventually the actual floor boards. I've seen cat urine stains show up on the ceiling in the apartment below where the cat urinated above weeks or months later. There is also a difference between cat urine and "spray" which they use to mark their territory. A mixture of urine and another substance secreted from the gland which is removed when the cat is "spayed". This is also famous for ruining carpets and materials underneath it. People with many cats who allow them to urinate on the floor can end up having to tear parts of their house down to the studs to fix the problem, I've done it myself. I've also refused to labor guarantee work I've done when homeowners do not completely correct the problem of cat spray/urine odors. Like putting sheet rock over paneling that has been sprayed/urinated on for years and never cleaned. The paneling should be pulled off completely and any other "walls" behind it that the urine has penetrated. I guarantee all my work but I refused to do so in this instance and a few others. It is that bad of a problem. Eventually the smell and the stain will permeate the new sheet rock and yes...layers of primer and paints. If you only have one stain I think treating it with the products others have mentioned, especially the vinegar solution should remedy it enough to make it liveable. But like SAMeredith said, it will not completely fix the problem. Plus it sounds like you have more then one stain. When you find that the stain re-appears or that the smell does, you may have to take more serious measures like I mentioned above, or you can drive yourself insane by constantly treating it with chemicals etc. The moral of the story is take it from a contractor, don't let cats pee pee on your rug! I know it's not your fault, and your smart to take action. Although any animal urine can damage carpets/furniture, cats and ferrets can cause MAJOR damage! Good luck!

Last edited by Nadia; 06-04-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote