Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default Jan 1 snow storm

...what a traffic mess out on rt 93 southbound. Everyone from their ski vacations must be heading back to Boston. There'a a fire engine blocking all southbound traffic and closing the road at exit 24 Ashland. Driving from exit 20 heading north, I saw about 25 vehicles on the southbound side that had skidded off the road and down the embankment spread over 15 miles. One white Jeep CJ had all slid off, down the embankments with a trooper-cruiser nearby that would make a terrific news-photo. One f350 pickup pulling a four sno-mo trailer was all slid off and jack-knifed.Didn't see any pi or ambulances, so that's danged pretty good.

Busky's Towing-Ashland, was earning some tow truck payments today, I tell ya! Seeing a back-up like that going back for 10 miles or so is something like a one in five year event around this here area....what a happening....looked just like rt 3 heading down to Cape Cod, or something, except for the snow.

Heading north was a piece of cake, and watching all the southbounders, heading back to Mass, backed up for miles and miles, was truly a feel good moment Ha-ha-ha-hee-hee-hee! This ski season is looking good now....let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-01-2008 at 06:40 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #2
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

over 25 vehicles in a perilously dangerous situation and you're having a feel good moment? Can someone tell me how to use that "block user" feature? Thanks in advance.

Hope everyone is OK.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:01 PM   #3
fatlazyless

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
over 25 vehicles in a perilously dangerous situation and you're having a feel good moment? Can someone tell me how to use that "block user" feature? Thanks in advance.

Hope everyone is OK.
Oh, come on McDude, no one was in a perilously dangerous situation. There's so much snow all piled up that none of the vehicles got too far off the road. They just went for a little slide, that's all. Did not see a single ambulance or any frantic scenes indicative of personal injury, and no I certainly do not wish that on anyone, so just lighten up a wee bit, McDude!

Hey, tow truck companies like Busky's need to get work, too!

And, a perilously dangerous situation is when you swipe a South Boston parking spot from someone else. Now, that is perilious, and this situation came no where close to that! It was all very serene & surreal, what with the rt 93 traffic all stopped.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
fpartri497

Default McDude

Quote:

Hope everyone is OK.
come on McD, lighten up you took out of context what FLL has said.

Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Bound to be a mess

With all the schools and business down here in Mass opening back up tomorrow, the rush of vacationers living the north is bound to create some havic with the conditions. Hopefully cool heads will prevail and everyone will stay calm so that all we see are "gentle" skids off the roadway. Having had one black ice incident in my days and going for a hell of a ride I wish it on no one. And there fore also understand where McDude is coming from, it may all look inocent, and indeed no one may be hurt, but for those involved it is a tramatic event. I myself was perfectly physically fine after my merry go round ride, but the EMTs still had me lay down and take a little oxygen after the adrenaline wore off. They said I looked fine when they showed up, but appearently with help there I relaxed, and started to look like I was going to faint. After a few deep breaths of O2 it was off to a hotel for me until I could survey the damage to my truck the next morning......... That night I gained a lot of respect for the Police, Fire, EMT, and Towing company personal..... They all understood I was more pissed at myself then anything, and all did there best to guide me through it.... including driving me to a hotel.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:39 PM   #6
GWC...

Quote:

Hope everyone is OK.
This from someone who adamantly protests any cell towers in the Alton area?

The drivers were at least in an area where they could seek help from their vehicle, even if they should never have been driving because it is obvious that they lack the ability, given the conditions and their situation.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
fatlazyless

Picking rt 93 as about the best place to have a break-down, or roll-over, or something is an easy first choice. I saw Plymouth, Ashland, New Hampton, & Tilton fire depts, a few local police dept, about ten state trooper cruisers, and about five Busky's red tow trucks. If rt 93 got any more safety coverage, it would look like a May Day parade in the old Soviet Union....or maybe the new Russian Republic.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
SIKSUKR

I guess I made the right decision getting home before the snow came yesterday.This is exactly what I was trying to avoid.93 south had pretty light traffic from Franconia to Bedford when I arrived at 11:30.Snow started shortly after.Once in while I make the right(or guess) decision.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
CanisLupusArctos

Default What a difference a few hours makes...

I drove home from a friend's house in Orford via Plymouth around 10 p.m. and found Rt. 25 in Plymouth to be slushy/wet while I-93 was just wet and salty. After reading this I'm glad I didn't go earlier as I had planned on. On snowcovered roads often I see people in SUVs forgetting that 4WD doesn't do anything to shorten stopping distance.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 07:38 PM   #10
Sunrise Point

Quote:
On snowcovered roads often I see people in SUVs forgetting that 4WD doesn't do anything to shorten stopping distance.

I absolutely agree!

I left about noontime yesterday and picked up 93 south at Rt. 127. I have been a New England driver for many, many, years and can't remember ever seeing more cars off the road. What I saw seemed to be mainly skidding accidents, not cars hitting each other. The occupants were visible and seemed fine. I hope that everyone made it home at some point.

My usual 2 hour drive took over 3.5 hours.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:58 PM   #11
scubajay1153

As a teenager I also learned that four wheel drive can get you twice as stuck in the muddy woods then a 2wd. And I am sure the wrecker bill was at least twice as high as well!

Why is it people don't clear off all their windows, roof and tail/head lights before driving? Weird....
scubajay1153 is offline   Reply With Quote