Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2005, 08:00 AM   #1
Seaplane Pilot

Thumbs down Orange cones at Jct Rt. 25 & M'boro Neck Rd.

Has anyone else noticed the orange cones placed in the lane used to take a right turn on to Moultonboro Neck Road, heading east on Rt. 25? They caused a major traffic back up and it took me almost 40 minutes on Friday afternoon to go from Canoe Restaurant to the Neck Road. They put signs on the cones stating that it was "Per Order of Moultonboro Police Department", but when I called the Police to complain, the dispatcher told me that the State put them up. I called Department of Transportation in Concord and they returned my call this morning, telling me that it was Moultonboro PD, not the State, that put them up. I've been going down the neck now for 20 years with no problem, now some rocket scientist comes up with this brilliant idea to put cones up! Does anyone have any additional information on this?

Last edited by Seaplane Pilot; 05-31-2005 at 08:26 AM.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
hazelnut

Thumbs down Bad Idea

I'll tell you what I noticed. More people cutting through the Mobil Gas Satation at Greene's/Murphy's Mobil. That could be very dangerous.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:52 PM   #3
Janet

Default Seaplane Pilot

Below is an article from the Laconia Citizen that appeared in the Thursday paper about that intersection.

Thursday, May 26, 2005
Moultonboro intersection causes concern

MOULTONBORO — The chief of police is among those asking the state Department of Transportation to consider adding a right turn lane at the intersection of Route 25 and Moultonboro Neck.

Transportation officials have recently repainted the lane delineation lines at the busy intersection, precluding two vehicles from traveling simultaneously in the eastbound lane. Since the lines were repainted, the police department has placed orange highway cones along the narrow shoulder that eastbound motorists had previously used to either turn right onto Moultonboro Neck or to swing around traffic waiting to make a left-hand turn into Aubuchon Hardware.

The reconfiguration of the heavily traveled intersection has raised the hackles of a number of local residents who have urged police to remove the cones. Police Chief Scott Kinmond has suggested they join him in forwarding their concerns to the state.

State law only allows passing on the right when the vehicle ahead is making a left-hand turn and adequate pavement width exists to allow for safe passage, he explained. During the peak summer months, traffic backs up for several miles at the stop light, creating a bottleneck for those waiting to turn onto densely populated Moultonboro Neck, the location of some of the region's most affluent lakeside homes.

The traffic woes at the hilltop intersection are compounded by an abutting convenience store that has curb cuts on both Route 25 and Moultonboro Neck Road, plus the close proximity of a motel and several other retailers. Kinmond has asked state officials to consider striping the intersection to create a "tight" right hand turn lane just large enough for a passenger vehicle, but said he learned that sensors beneath the pavement that trigger the traffic lights would have to be dug up and relocated — a costly undertaking.

"I just wish they would put (reworking the intersection) higher on the priority list," he said.

In April, Kinmond wrote a letter to the Planning Board voicing his support for a site plan that would allow the Aubuchon store to expand, but would remove one curb cut onto Route 25, just east of the intersection. The Route 25 franchise garnered site plan approval on Wednesday allowing for a 6,000 square foot addition and expanded parking.

This spring, Aubuchon Realty Company Inc. obtained a variance giving the green light to plans to merge their existing location with an abutting lot. The retailer plans to tear down a residential home and two sheds on property formerly owned by Dorothy Rasmussen.

In his letter to planning officials, Kinmond said the project would help enhance highway safety by removing one driveway access onto Route 25 and improving visibility for motorists approaching the intersection. Aubuchon is planning to give up the existing driveway cut that serves the Rasmussen property, retaining access at the signalized intersection located directly in front of the store, as well as a second entrance and exit just west of the intersection.

Kinmond remains hopeful that the state officials can negotiate with Aubuchon and perhaps obtain some additional frontage along Route 25 that would allow for the intersection to be widened. Meanwhile, Kinmond said he is anxiously awaiting a response from state transportation officials and bracing for the crush of second homeowners and summer visitors that help contribute to the local traffic woes.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 07:12 PM   #4
phoenix

another case of a decision that will probably increase risk. people will find away around by cutting through Green's . But i also have been going past this intersection for 20 years and traffic continues to get worse. They need a right hand lane soon but this will probably take years until they we only sit and wait
Old 06-01-2005, 08:49 AM   #5
TomC

Default i don't think cutting thru Green's..

is that likely since 1) the proprietor will put a stop to that practice - an illegal move in Mass, by the way, as "avoiding a traffic signal" - and 2) if you've made it to Green's curb-cut on 25, you're virtually to the intersection anyway, one light cycle at most is all you'll save..
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2005, 01:00 PM   #6
hazelnut

Default True, But

After waiting for 45 minutes by that time saving one light cycle will be just enticing enough to increase traffic through Greene's Mobil.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote