Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
pickwick

Default Any cat lovers here?

Cats 1st needs help with the growing feral cat problem right here in the Lakes Region. Please email them and ask how you can help. After seeing this article in The Citizen, they need us who live in the Lakes Region to lend our hands, donate food, etc. If you know of any resources that can help, please email them as they are willing to help this situation.

Original article: http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...9937/0/CITIZEN

Feral cat problem growing

Feral cats have been a problem all over the country for many years, including here in the Lakes Region, and without any designated feral cat shelter or organization in the area, reports of wild cats reproducing are rising at an alarming rate.

Betsy Coes, president of Cats1st, a nonprofit, New Hampshire licensed shelter and rescue organization for feral and abandoned cats, said she has received several phone calls about out-of-control feral feline populations especially in the Gilford and Alexandria areas.

"I've answered close to five calls regarding large colonies in poor condition at a farm in Alexandria, a mobile home park in Gilford and a campground," said Coes whose shelter is located in Newfields in the state's Seacoast area.

She said in Gilford one elderly man is feeding over 30 stray and abandoned cats and many of them are sick and dying. The man, she said, cannot afford to feed them anything other than boiled spaghetti.

Another person in Alexandria, who wishes to remain unidentified Coes said, reported feeding well over 100 cats that are reproducing.

"These are not healthy cats," said Coes. "The situation has been going on for a long time and there is no help."

Coes said that Cats1st has offered to travel from Newfields with local cooperation and support, but being about an hour away from the Lakes Region makes that difficult. She said that her organization wants to help the public but lack of resources, transportation, veterinary care and volunteers "hamper the effort."

After trapping cats, Coes said her organization tries its best to spay and neuter them and bring them to the shelter for medication and vaccinations. She said that every feral cat trapped will have a tip of their ear removed, leaving a small mark as a way of keeping track of which cats have been spayed or neutered and vaccinated.

"We do hold them for 48 hours," she said. "I do not release them right away." She added that the cats are only released back into the area where they were trapped if people living there have signed a written agreement to continue to care for them.

Coes explained that trapping feral cats can be fairly difficult. She said the trap has a small raised screen with food placed on the other side. The cat steps onto the screen and a door closes vertically behind it. Cats1st does not trap overnight and when preparing a trap, people are told to not to feed the cats for a 24-hour period.

"For the most part, it happens fast," she said, adding that cats are habitual creatures and are likely to go to the same spot every day where they are fed at a certain time.

"The traps are safe and there's no way the animals can get hurt or people can get bit."

While some people may be afraid of feral cats, Coes said that most are scared of people and will rarely attack.

"People trap cats and don't know what to do. Some of the cats can be nasty when trapped."

According to Mary Di Maria, executive director of the New Hampshire Humane Society in Laconia, the shelter tries its best to help feral cats and tries to release them back to the "feeding community."

"We take them in if they are kittens," she said. "They come in and they can be sick and it isn't this healthy, cute little kitten."

Tammy O'Neil, who works with the felines at the at the Humane Society, said that if feral cats are healthy, they are sometimes placed as "barn cats."

"That's really common around here," she said.

O'Neil and Di Maria explained that feral cats are only destroyed if there is a medical reason or if the cat is unable to be handled.

"Most feral cats are scared, and they usually won't attack humans," said O'Neil. "We only release them back to where they were taken from with permission from the person who brought them in."

Coes said that cats can adapt nicely in the New Hampshire climate, especially once they have become spayed or neutered and have some shelter and food.

"Even if they are somewhat friendly, people are not adopting," she said, adding that even when the adult cats are up-to-date on care, it is hard to find a home for them.

With limited space at her shelter, Coes said she doesn't have room for many cats and hopes to raise awareness of just how bad the situation has become.

"I can't believe that the Lake Region doesn't have any organization like Cats1st that deals with feral or abandoned cats."

While her organization lacks volunteers, Coes said that there are "wonderful people on board and that some people care enough to call about the cats."

She said that although it cannot be proven, she has heard reports about colonies of feral cats being poisoned.

"How can a cat be at a feeding station one moment and then found dead the next?" She asked. "I don't know, and it's for no apparent reason."

Laconia Police Department Chief Michael Moyer said he knows of no large colonies of feral cats in the immediate Laconia area and at this time there is no designated animal control officer.

"We plan on dealing with that after the summer," he said, explaining that due to budget cuts, the animal patrol officer position had hours cut.

O'Neil and Di Maria said the public can do their part to reduce reproduction of feral cats.

"We want to make people aware of it," said Di Maria. "There are hundreds of feral cats and they can carry disease."

She said that the cats suffer from many illnesses including flea infestation, anemia and upper-respiratory problems.

"The community can help to start taking responsibility and neuter and spay their animals," O'Neil said.

While some feral cats are past the point of becoming domesticated, O'Neil said some would get along with domesticated cats.

"Feral cats usually love other cats."
pickwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:13 PM   #2
Argie's Wife

Yes, I am a cat lover.

I have also taken in feral cats and my mother has as well. Where she lives, in Ossippee, there's an issue going on with the shelter there as they will NOT accept feral cats.

Well, one things cats are very good at doing is making more cats. Feral cats are no exception. At this time my mother is caring for five feral cats by feeding them, letting them sleep in the barn, and caging them to take to the vets for immunizations and/or neutering. She lives on a limited income and pays for all this herself. She's approached the shelter in Ossippee and was told it was against their policy to take ferrel cats - so, she felt she had no choice but to care for the cats who show up... (I've joked with her that the cats have installed an "All You Can Eat" neon sign on her porch that only they can see...)

Some of the cats were obviously house pets at some point but were dropped off, abandoned. It's my understanding that the shelter also charges folks to drop off animals they have to abandon - but I could be wrong, feel free to correct me if I am...

Anyhow, with the exception of Cat1st and folks who are willing to tame/adopt/care for these cats, there's not much for choices, would you agree?

Hats off to Cats1st for their efforts - and to those who support them!

Last edited by Argie's Wife; 09-09-2010 at 09:37 AM.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
KBoater

Default Lrhs

The Ossippe shelter will not take a cat that they can not place. This is the probelm with the ferral cats.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

For you cat lovers...

Did you see the article about Hobbes. The little kitten brough to the North Conway shelter?
He had been rescued by someone from some kids that were beating it sticks and tossed it off the roof of a building....

Man what do parents teach their kids these days? Argh!

Well they are looking for donations to fix it's jaw and may require surgery to do so. I stopped in and gave $50.00. I'm not rich, but no animal should need to pay for deplorable human treatment.

It is a good thing that other person saw them doing it. I'm not so sure my temper would have remained contained quite so much.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
nicole (09-17-2010), Ropetow (01-23-2011)
Old 09-08-2010, 08:43 AM   #5
Chickie

Default Re: Animal Cruelty

Such cruelty is beyond understanding and makes me so angry and sick whenever I hear of it. Children often mirror what they see in the home. It is a safe bet that their parents probably have the same abusive attitudes towards animals and possibly their children. As children we were taught better, as our parents were always gentle and kind towards animals. We adopted so many stray cats here that we lost count.

One kitten in particular had been choked and painted with green paint by the children in a household in Dover. Being aware of the situation, a neighbor who was a bread truck driver picked it up early one morning when he left to make his deliveries out of town. He knew a kind restaurant worker in Laconia and was sure she would see that it got a good home. He related the story to her and she immediately agreed to take part in the rescue. It ended up at our house, as it was pretty easy to convince our parents that we “needed” to take in this kitten after all it had gone through. Even after all the cruelty it had endured at the hands of those kids, it still was able to trust us and became a beloved pet in our household. We named it Dusty – a sweet little guy with a great personality and gentle nature.

May that poor kitten in Conway make a good recovery and find a loving home. It certainly deserves a break.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #6
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Your not going to like this but

So here is the thing.... people often tell me I am cruel and uncaring and I don't know maybe I am. But I only know of one way to deal with feral "wild" cats, or dogs.... and that is to put them down... we forget that man domesticated these animals long ago, however they are originally pack animals and when left alone the revert back... of course we have Politically Corrected the term wild to Feral because it sounds better. Makes us feel better and less cruel. Unfortunately once animals revert back to there primitive selves the best thing to do, is to continue to allow them to be wild. And do what we do to control the rest of the wild animals in this country, allow them to be trapped and hunted.

Nope certainly in this country cat and Dog isn't a entree that most would want, so the best bet would be to catch them and then just put them down..... Sure it may make some people sad to see this happen, and I am not saying that it doesn't bother me some... But I would rather see an animal put down, then know that I am trying to contain something that doesn't want to be contained.

Folks need to keep one thing in mind, is the idea of keeping feral animals alive for the good of the animal, or so that you can rest easy at night....

(now just so none of you jump down my throat, I have had several animals growing up, dogs, cats, gerbils, etc etc... currently my wife has a cat, and we just got a dog.... nope they are domesticated and I plan on keeping it that way..... but when the time comes that they have grown old or gotten injured to the point that I can't reasonably heal them.... They get put to sleep.... so they don't suffer.... I have the ability to mentally heal, from the truma, they may not...)

Unfortunately not every animal can be or should be rescued.... its a sad truth, and before Cat populations explode to uncontrollably people need to face the fact, and put some of them down.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #7
Argie's Wife

I don't think it's cruel to put down a feral cat. I think it's more cruel to do nothing at all and let the cats starve, freeze to death, get hit by cars, get diseases, or breed to make more feral cats. Trap them and put them down; especially if they're in a residential area with domestic pets, children, etc. around. But doing nothing is inexcusable.

I have had several feral cats - in fact, both of the cats I have now were ferrel and one was very wild. They've transitioned into lovely house cats and my family loves them both. The wildest of the two cats has "adopted" our oldest boy and sleeps with him each night. The other cat has claimed my husband - she's Argie's cat. We're lucky to have them and I think they're lucky to have us. Ours is the rare ending of the feral cat story.

Last edited by Argie's Wife; 09-15-2010 at 10:21 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (09-09-2010)
Old 09-09-2010, 03:19 AM   #8
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
For you cat lovers...

Did you see the article about Hobbes. The little kitten brough to the North Conway shelter?
He had been rescued by someone from some kids that were beating it sticks and tossed it off the roof of a building....

Man what do parents teach their kids these days? Argh!

Well they are looking for donations to fix it's jaw and may require surgery to do so. I stopped in and gave $50.00. I'm not rich, but no animal should need to pay for deplorable human treatment.

It is a good thing that other person saw them doing it. I'm not so sure my temper would have remained contained quite so much.
Were the kids charged with cruelty to an animal? I hope they received more than a slap on the hand.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
LIforrelaxin (09-09-2010)
Old 09-09-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
Chickie

Default Feral Cats

I think we need to make a distinction between true feral cats and those that have had some human socialization, but have been dumped by their owners when no longer wanted. These “throw away cats” are usually left by the side of the road to fend for themselves when they are no longer cute, cuddly kittens. Feral cats have been born in the wild for several generations and have had no close human contact, so naturally they become wild and unruly. Those that have had socialization at one time may be generally fearful of strangers at first, but are easily reintroduced to a normal household and make wonderful pets. No animal, feral or otherwise, should be subjected to wanton cruelty of that kind. I am not against euthanizing feral cats due to over population, but it should be done in a humane manner.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chickie For This Useful Post:
Knockers (09-09-2010)
Old 09-09-2010, 09:43 AM   #10
Argie's Wife

I don't know if either of my cats were several generations of wild/feral cat, but both had to be gradually tamed to even be touched by a human, let alone live in a home. It takes months to bring them to a place where you can pat them - never mind bring them into a home with children and then introduce other pets... Wild is wild, no matter how you cut it. A cat that's fended for itself for all its life is no picnic to tame. My parents were both in animal control so I knew what it took from first hand experience as a kid.

Our girl cat came unglued for a little bit when we brought home a dog... (and he's about as cat friendly as a dog can be...) After she beat up the dog a few times, she was better.

Our boy cat was okay in the home until the oldest Arglet started crawling at about 9 months old, and then he started tackling the poor kid. The cat still gets wacky every now and then - but now he's 17lbs and 8 years old - that's a lot of wacky running through the house and attacking the couch arms.

If you want to know who owns whom, I think we're owned by our cats.

Last edited by Argie's Wife; 09-12-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:29 AM   #11
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

We've taken in several cats over the years...not really feral cats, but cats that were abandoned after summer. They usually show up in the fall or early winter when foraging gets scarce. I don't understand how anyone can be that heartless. One was so matted that she almost appeared to have a shell like an armadillo. We got her to the vet, shaved and shots.....and she turned out to be one of the best cats ever. Another one, half starved, actually jumped up and clung to our window looking in at us on a night that was well below zero. This one walked right in, had dinner and was asleep within 20 minutes. Oh yuh, we're cat people all right.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (01-28-2011)
Old 09-11-2010, 06:44 PM   #12
NickNH

Not technically "feral" and not from the Lakes Region but my sons' cat was adopted by him when he (Chino - the cat) was about 1.5 years old. He had been hanging around a woman's garden and she put a Hav-a-Heart trap out for him.....sounds like a GOOD thing, right????

NOT! This woman left him in the trap to die! By the time one of the neighbors found him, his mouth was bloody from trying to chew his way out and he had a broken tooth and severe abrasions around his nose.....

The GOOD news is that he was found in time and is the most AWESOME cat ever! He adjusts to anything...my son tends to move around alot and Chino is perfectly happy as long as he finds his food and litter box. He has NO desire to go outside and just wants to hang with people and be loved....which he is! He's around 6 years old now....
NickNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NickNH For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (09-11-2010)
Old 09-11-2010, 09:12 PM   #13
Belmont Resident

Default I have

Big ass kitty squishing tires on my truck. Does that count?
Cat’s squirrels they are all the same rodents…..
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:47 AM   #14
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
Big ass kitty squishing tires on my truck. Does that count?
Cat’s squirrels they are all the same rodents…..
Are you for real? I hope your kidding!
Old 09-12-2010, 05:55 AM   #15
Belmont Resident

Default Yes, couldn't help it!

But on the other side of the coin I am not a cat lover.
Give me a dog any day.
Cute and cuddly when they are kittens but then they grow up and become dormant.
Doesn’t help that I’m allergic to them.
Oh and not to mention all the fur balls.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:24 AM   #16
Chickie

Default Felines vs Canines

I have had both dogs and cats over the years and am fond of both. Each has its own unique way of offering companionship and love to their owners, but a cat is easier to maintain and care for, so I prefer a cat at this stage in life.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #17
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Feral Cats

We have two feral cats in our house along with a rescued German Shepherd.

The cats were born under my father-in-laws's shed a few years back along with 3 other siblings. The plan was to capture the kittens, nueter and find them homes (well we ended up with 2, SIL with 2 and FIL with the fifth!). We also tried to capture mom and nueter her but she has proven to be too wily, and continues to churn out litters (which is where my FIL's 2 other cats have come from!

Even though I am not necessarily a "cat person", they are great cats and pets!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:43 PM   #18
NickNH

@Vitabene....

Try a HavaHeart trap with raw Chicken Livers inside.....of course, you may get more that the wily female but you may luck out! Put it near where she likes to hang out....

(If you've already tried this then I have no suggestions!)
NickNH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NickNH For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (09-17-2010)
Old 09-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #19
CGI3

I tried to rescue a cat with a have a heart trap, and caught a skunk!! I threw a queen size comforter over the trap, and flipped it over. Door popped open, out walked the skunk. Never even tried to spray me. I think the little bugger was just happy to get out of the trap. Tried one more time, same thing, another skunk, not sure if it was the same one. I guess cats are a tad bit smarter than skunks.
CGI3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:49 PM   #20
This'nThat

I like cats. The problem is, I can't eat a whole one in a single sitting.
This'nThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #21
jkjoshuatree

Wink That is pretty funny...

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat View Post
...pretty tasteless (pun definitely intended), but still funny.

I have a friend who says cats are like Bic lighters...disposable.

Again...tasteless, but still funny.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:53 PM   #22
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree View Post
...pretty tasteless (pun definitely intended), but still funny.

I have a friend who says cats are like Bic lighters...disposable.

Again...tasteless, but still funny.
You guys are lucky it's too cold and the snow is too deep for me to hunt you down!

But maybe after my nap, and dinner....

Name:  Leo 2 02.jpg
Views: 2337
Size:  36.7 KB

Leo
jkjoshuatree (01-22-2011), This'nThat (01-22-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 09:05 PM   #23
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
You guys are lucky it's too cold and the snow is too deep for me to hunt you down!

But maybe after my nap, and dinner....

Attachment 4555

Leo
I agree. Shall we team up?
Attached Images

jkjoshuatree (01-22-2011), SteveA (01-22-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #24
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I agree. Shall we team up?
I don't have any pictures like that of my Nick, but he takes on his 75-lb. Labrador/Pit Bull brother when he's had enough...let us know if we can help.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose For This Useful Post:
Cal (01-26-2011), SteveA (01-22-2011)
Old 01-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #25
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default The difference between cats and dogs

Two approaches to the same problem.

Name:  imagesCAV6SPJV.jpg
Views: 1709
Size:  13.5 KB
Attached Images

jkjoshuatree (01-22-2011)
Old 01-22-2011, 10:43 AM   #26
Seeker

Quote:
Where would you like the mouse head, in your shoe or under your pillow? No, don't tell me, I'll just surprise you.

Your friendly local kitty.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #27
jkjoshuatree

Default Hey...

...I love cats! And all animals.

I just posted what my friend said. I didn't say it!!

Those cats you guys posted look like some of the most bada@# feline's I have ever seen.
SteveA (01-22-2011)
Old 01-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #28
Chickie

Default Ready For A Fight?

Those are fighting words! Callie is anxious to sign up for "Operation Revenge", along with the other handsome volunteers in the feline militia. She is armed and considered dangerous (nasty set of claws). Let us go forth to defend our honor!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chickie For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (01-23-2011), SteveA (01-22-2011), This'nThat (01-22-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #29
SIKSUKR

Don't let "Gucci's" name fool you.He can dismember a German Shepard when provoked.I've given him a list of forum menbers to persue.
SteveA (01-24-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 PM   #30
WeirsGuard

Default Operation Revenge

My "Herd" of six; Callie (Male-19yrs.), K.C (Male-17yrs.), Pemigewasset (Male-9yrs.), Midnight (Male-5yrs.), Chocorua (Male-2yrs.) and Merrimack (Female-2yrs.) have their claws sharpened and ready for action. Callie, being older, is available for leadership duties.
WeirsGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WeirsGuard For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (01-25-2011), SteveA (01-24-2011)
Old 01-25-2011, 12:36 PM   #31
jkjoshuatree

Default Okay, okay!!!!

I surrender!! I surrender!!!!

Old 01-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #32
gokart-mozart

Default I love cat

"Any cat lovers here?"

They're really not too bad with stir-fried vegetables and a red curry sauce.
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #33
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart-mozart View Post
"Any cat lovers here?"

They're really not too bad with stir-fried vegetables and a red curry sauce.
I would rather have my beautiful fifteen year old cat Jezzie eat the person who is cooking the cat with the stir fried vegetables and curry sauce. She would probably find that human meal very yummy!
The Following User Says Thank You to Greene's Basin Girl For This Useful Post:
Ropetow (01-26-2011)
Old 01-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #34
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
I don't have any pictures like that of my Nick, but he takes on his 75-lb. Labrador/Pit Bull brother when he's had enough...let us know if we can help.
"Tiger" is a 23 lb 9 yo male Maine Coon. This is his brother Shadow with his summer "Lion cut"
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2011, 08:49 AM   #35
hilltopper

How big's Shadow? Doesn't look anywhere near the size of his brother...
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #36
This'nThat

Default Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree View Post
I surrender!! I surrender!!!!
I'm about ready to throw in the towel, too. I don't want these big cats to come after me-ow!, it hurts just thinking about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to This'nThat For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (01-28-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 11:17 AM   #37
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopper View Post
How big's Shadow? Doesn't look anywhere near the size of his brother...

He tips the scales at 15 lbs
Old 01-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #38
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
"Tiger" is a 23 lb 9 yo male Maine Coon. This is his brother Shadow with his summer "Lion cut"
Lexi is almost 22 years old, but you still don't want her unhappy with you!

Name:  Leave me alone.jpg
Views: 1952
Size:  81.7 KB

Also want to share a picture of my Pride and Joy...

Name:  pride_joy.jpg
Views: 1439
Size:  15.4 KB

I'll give myself an ff topic: on this , but I couldn't resist.
Argie's Wife (01-28-2011), Greene's Basin Girl (01-29-2011), Pepper (01-29-2011)
Old 01-28-2011, 07:54 PM   #39
eillac@dow

Ok....so I saw Pics of Leo...then Cal's cat. I heard about the big guy Tiger and Rose's cat Nick. When I saw Shadow...I was getting scared....but then.. when I saw Lexi! Holy Smokes....I am keeping all jokes to myself. She does not look like one you want to mess with.

Honestly, reading through this all. Great... but sorrowful stories of poor animals just left out there. From Pickwick's opening statement to Chickies...to AW...to Samian's story....is it heartbreaking, but heartwarming in some ways.

My kids have to do volunteering hrs for school. This is probably a good thread to have them read and then spend some time at a shelter. It may be an eye opener that not all animals (like my baby Hunter) have a life like the one he does.....

The cat jokes...I like em...I can take em...as long as they are just a joke. To many poor animals are out there....alone.

Last edited by eillac@dow; 01-28-2011 at 07:57 PM. Reason: spelling
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 08:07 PM   #40
SAMIAM

Here's a little story for you dog lovers that are making jokes about eating cats and generally disparaging friends of felines.
About 4 years ago at our home on Collins Brook road in Meredith there was a pack of domestic dogs running loose.......7 or 8 of them. It is very rural there and neighbors pretty much let them run. A few larger dogs but some were just little yappers....unfortunately, when they "pack up" they will run deer or go after other household pets. They came through my yard twice and nearly got one of my coon cats...she barely escaped. I called a few of the neighbors to complain but nothing changed.
Soooooo.......I got out my Mossburg 500 12 ga. and set up plywood target at about 50 yards from my property line where they generally arrive. The object was not to kill them but teach them a lesson. After a couple of test rounds, I saw that the plywood was just dented from the birdshot rounds that I was testing with. A few days later I heard them heading our way and went outside. As they approached the house, I ran outside and they ran when they saw me and I let one go with the 12 ga.
I got them all with one blast. They were ki-yi-yi-ing and snapping at their butts that were stung with the birdshot and guess what?.....never saw them again. Don't mess with my kitties!
Old 01-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #41
This'nThat

Default Birdshot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
As they approached the house, I ran outside and they ran when they saw me and I let one go with the 12 ga.
I got them all with one blast.
Yeah, I know the feeling. Can use the same approach with cats.

...That's how I filled my freezer.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:57 AM   #42
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Yeah, I know the feeling. Can use the same approach with cats.

...That's how I filled my freezer.
I think your a CAT-A-HOLIC
Old 01-29-2011, 07:31 AM   #43
This'nThat

Default Irresistible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
I think your a CAT-A-HOLIC
Some things are simply irresistible.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:53 AM   #44
SAMIAM

Takes a lot of cats to fill a freezer....but only a couple of dogs.......I don't happen to like dog,they taste like bear.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:49 AM   #45
This'nThat

Quote:
Takes a lot of cats to fill a freezer....
Go back and take a look at some of the 15-pounders pictured in this thread. Wouldn't take too many of those varmints to fill a truckload of freezers, I imagine.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #46
Rusty

Quote:
Takes a lot of cats to fill a freezer....but only a couple of dogs.......I don't happen to like dog,they taste like bear.

During my working career I had the privilege to go to South Korea to train young engineers on how to build a Nuclear Pressurized Water Reactor (PWR) that would be used to generate electricity. Dog meat is a delicacy in South Korea and they introduced it to me during one of my visits. We would drink Soju and eat dog meat with a side dish of Kimchi. Koreans spice their food to the extent that it is hard to actually get the real taste of any food that they eat, however the dog meat tasted a little like beef teriyaki. I ate it each time I went there just to show respect for their culture.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #47
Chickie

Default Another Case of Animal Hoarding

It always makes me heartsick when I see neglect and abuse of animals. WMUR news reported this morning that police removed 10 cats and 9 dogs from a home in Bedford yesterday. They were living in squalor and suffering from various medical issues. It seems animal hoarding is becoming a problem with many these days, or are we just hearing more about it? How many animals are too many? There appears to be no limit for some, even though they are unable to provide food and basic care.

As I went out for my paper this morning, I saw the imprints of little cat feet in the newly fallen snow. More than likely, another stray out searching for food, trying to survive the cruel winter. Most all the cats I have had in my lifetime were ones who came to me. Is another in my future? So sad that they are often thrown out like trash to fend for themselves.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:33 AM   #48
This'nThat

Default Doggie Bag??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I ate it each time I went there just to show respect for their culture.
Did you take any "Doggie Bags" back home from the restaurant?
Attached Images

Old 01-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #49
Rusty

Quote:
Did you take any "Doggie Bags" back home from the restaurant?
That's a good one This'nThat!

Actually Korean restaurants use the leftovers to serve to another customer. The Korean government created a Food Sanitation Law that banned the use of leftover food to serve in restaurants but for the most part restaurant owners ignore the law.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #50
Rusty

This article was in this weeks "The Meredith News":

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rusty For This Useful Post:
Ropetow (02-03-2011), SteveA (01-29-2011)
Old 01-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #51
Top Cat

Default Top cat

My favorite kitty is Simon's cat. His latest video is "Santa Claws"

www.simonscat.com
Top Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #52
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
During my working career I had the privilege to go to South Korea to train young engineers on how to build a Nuclear Pressurized Water Reactor (PWR) that would be used to generate electricity. Dog meat is a delicacy in South Korea and they introduced it to me during one of my visits. We would drink Soju and eat dog meat with a side dish of Kimchi. Koreans spice their food to the extent that it is hard to actually get the real taste of any food that they eat, however the dog meat tasted a little like beef teriyaki. I ate it each time I went there just to show respect for their culture.
Funny story, The 1988 Mens Wheelchair Basketball team competed and won the the Para Olympics in basketball. Events were in South Korea.

I very good friend of mine was one of the player/coaches on the team. To celebrate the win they all went out for dinner. The place they went was a local place and the menu was in Korean. They resorted to pointing at dishes on the menu to select the food and finally settled on a dish that the waiter call "Duk".

When the meal arrived and they started eating, they noticed that it didn't taste at all like "Duck". They called the waiter over, pointed to the food and asked. "Duck... Quack Quack?" The waiter replied.. " No...Duk.... Bow Wow".

They went and found someplace else to eat.
Pepper (01-29-2011), Rusty (01-29-2011), trfour (01-29-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 02:35 PM   #53
SIKSUKR

This thread is making me "cat a tonic". It goes good with vodka.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:18 AM   #54
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
This thread is making me "cat a tonic". It goes good with vodka.
I think this thread is becoming a CAT-AS-TROPHE!
Old 02-01-2011, 07:27 AM   #55
chipj29

We have 3 cats. All were strays.
-Marshmellow is a big fat ball of white fluff. He is close to 15 lbs. We got him from a neighbor who found him hanging out in their garage about 11 years ago. He is the friendliest most lovable cat ever, just loves people.
-Boo is a tiny little thing, weighs all of about 6 lbs. She was living in the barn down the street. She came with a twin sister Goblin, who we lost to coyotes a few years ago. Boo is the sweetest cat ever, she is almost 10 years old but still a kitten.
-Quinny is a good sized cat we recently got from the shelter. She is very playful, but she just has to be outside. Except in the winter. Oh, and she is also a thief. She will take your straw right out of your drink and play with it. She takes pens off of the desk and counters. She chases them around for a bit, then stashes them under the throw rugs. She will also play fetch.

And BTW, I doubt any of them would taste very good.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:31 AM   #56
Argie's Wife

Chip... You must have heard this saying before:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
chipj29 (02-03-2011), SteveA (02-01-2011)
Old 02-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #57
Top Cat

Default Top cat

]Want to lower your blood pressure and improve your health?

Hug a warm, furry, purring cat.
Top Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:09 PM   #58
This'nThat

Default Here's a furry cat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
]Want to lower your blood pressure and improve your health?

Hug a warm, furry, purring cat.
You mean like this?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to This'nThat For This Useful Post:
Greene's Basin Girl (02-01-2011), SteveA (02-01-2011)
Old 02-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #59
Chickie

Default Cat Lover's Rebuke

I think you are being a bit dog-matic, siksukr. This thread is marvelous, purr-fectly marvelous.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #60
Grant

I like cats. I just can't eat a whole one by myself.
Old 02-04-2011, 07:21 PM   #61
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
I think this thread is becoming a CAT-AS-TROPHE!
Good one!!!!

How is the snow? I had my NH roof shoveled today so that is one less worry on that poor simple house. Wish I knew someone in MA who shovels roofs. Getting kind of scary. No cat at this time but when I am able to stop going south (wish I never had to do it again) I am going to get another Siamese.

I have had two. The first one belonged more to the kids as I was just too busy in those days. The second was my soulmate. Where I was, she would be. I had to call her a COG as she was like part cat and part dog. She would retrieve, play hide and seek and go out in a boat..........the latter not always by choice. She actually swam out to me on her own when she was tiny. Got her when she was a day short of four weeks so she thought I was her mother. I would have her swim a few times but she never really liked it after she was a year or so.

Lung cancer at age 18 and been gone for about four years now. It was quite sad at the time but made up my mind that I would get another when I was just in the north. Off am I.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote