Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default What do you want/need in the region for business?

Recent threads here have got me wondering. What types of business would do well in the area? We have seen the ones that do not do well and they go under faster than a 20 lb rock in the lake. So what service is lacking up here that people would call a business that would be successful? We know what doesn't do well so lets leave those out. Concentrate on services that are needed in the area, and that would actually be used. Maybe we could help someone out.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
AC2717

Default Well

AS much as I love mom and Pop Stores I think a Bass Pro or even better a boaters world or a West Marine would be Great in the Gilford area in the Walmart is or even if the TJ Maxx is nto there any longer beside the Shaws
Old 02-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
AS much as I love mom and Pop Stores I think a Bass Pro or even better a boaters world or a West Marine would be Great in the Gilford area in the Walmart is or even if the TJ Maxx is nto there any longer beside the Shaws
I've had some various thoughts about that concept in the old Fitzgerald Motorsports building (it has docks!).

I'm not sure that I want to start another retail store, though (Home Theater and Automation in the late 90's). And I'm involved in another technology startup which consumes the majority of my time right now.

Maybe in another year...
Old 03-05-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
JasonG

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
I have always wondered why there wasnt a west marine in the area.
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #5
jkjoshuatree

Default A Flatbread Pizza...

I've had this argument with my wife several times (she's in the commercial real estate restaurant business) and she thinks they'd never open in the Lakes Region. She says it's not busy enough.

I disagree (lovingly of course-ha ha).

Take Patrick's Pub, for instance. They do a great business in the summer for obvious reasons and in the winter they get the Gunstock, snow mobile crowd, as well as the leaf-peepers in the fall. And because Patrick's is so popular and has consistently good food they seem to do a steady business, even in the "off" season.

Now there's a Flatbread in North Conway that does an amazing business and I'm thinking one in the Lakes Region would have a similar crowd, but maybe the summer/winter crowds would be flip-flopped because of the summer crowd at the lake and the ski crowd in NC.

Just my two cents.

I also think the Gilford area would be a perfect location!!!

Let's start a petition to get Flatbread to the Lakes Region!!!
Old 03-06-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
robmac

The Flatbread co. is looking to expand with more bowling centers at this time.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
jkjoshuatree

Default robmac...

Really? Do you have an "in" there?

That's a great angle with the bowling alley.

There used to be a restaurant/bowling alley in Boston that was hugely popular. I'd love to see a Flatbread/alley around Winnipesaukee.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
fatlazyless

Default The Quonsset Hut

What the Lakes Region needs is a store like The Quonnset Hut in Rumney. Located about three miles from the Plymouth Wal-Mart, on Route 25, on the Plymouth-Rumney line, just north of the west side rotary, the Quonsset Hut is a bigger version of J C's Discount, which is located on Route 104, in New Hampton, about one mile east of exit 23-Route 93.

An interesting store!
Old 02-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #9
wuwu

Businesses are plenty all around the lake. As a consumer, I do not have to travel far to purchase food. There are enough restaurants, stores,sub shops around. If I need to purchase anything from Walmart or Target, I make the shopping trip! Keep the area green! I would hate to end up like exit 20.
wuwu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wuwu For This Useful Post:
NHBoat70 (10-31-2010)
Old 02-13-2009, 09:07 AM   #10
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I would still say that anything goes. The secret is that it's no secret ......if you work hard, keep your word and keep your customers happy, you can succeed in most any business. Although, I wouldn't want to be selling R.V's,snowmobiles or boats right now. But any service business will do fine as your reputation spreads...good example is Wineing Butcher. They opened in a less than prime location and did a great job and they are now expanding to Meredith right in the middle of a recession. Shows it can be done.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 09:13 AM   #11
Lakegeezer

I'm not sure of the need, but perhaps a "rent an office" business would do well. Lots of people seem to be working down south while their family spends the week at their summer home. There are also folks that want to move into the area, but need a professional office type environment. How about a business that offers a receptionist, office supplies and equipment, private space, phone, internet, technical support and meeting rooms with video conferencing capability? One could rent by the hour, day, week or longer.

In relation to another thread on businesses in Moultonborough, I would appreciate having more businesses located east of Center Harbor. Tilton's Exit 20 is pretty good for most needs, but that is 45 minutes away. I feel like a kid in a candy store when I get as far south as Concord. Going to Boston just has my head spinning.... Rural life is nice, but I think the make-up of the year-round population is changing so that more businesses could be supported - at least after the current crisis of economic confidence is over.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #12
kjbathe

Ocean State Job Lot
kjbathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:08 PM   #13
Irish mist

Default We need some skin in the game

Unless things have changed since last year there is not one dermatolgist in the Lakes Region ! That is not good
________
MERCURY TRACER PICTURE

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #14
SAMIAM

Yes there is,Irish Mist.....and a good one.His name is Ryan Scannell he is also a surgeon doing facial reconstruction and all that.A young guy with great bedside manner....you'll love him.Went to him for some sun damage (pre cancerous) and he fixed me right up.....he's the real deal 524-7402
Old 02-13-2009, 01:35 PM   #15
Pineedles

Default Pharmacy in Center Harbor

I believe the closest pharmacy is in Meredith. Many years ago Alford pharmacy occupied the old Post Office building. I don't know why they closed, but I would think with more year round people now in the area, if it was a lack of business, things might be better now.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 02:21 PM   #16
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Yes there is,Irish Mist.....and a good one.His name is Ryan Scannell he is also a surgeon doing facial reconstruction and all that.A young guy with great bedside manner....you'll love him.Went to him for some sun damage (pre cancerous) and he fixed me right up.....he's the real deal 524-7402
Thank you for that infomation I'm happy to hear this.
________
FREE VAPORIZER

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:56 AM   #17
no-engine

Quote:
Where is he located? I saw one in Concord for "pre cancerous" spots on my back and face. Did the "peel" thing 4 years ago; due to see one again.
Where?
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #18
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
I'm not sure of the need, but perhaps a "rent an office" business would do well. Lots of people seem to be working down south while their family spends the week at their summer home. There are also folks that want to move into the area, but need a professional office type environment. How about a business that offers a receptionist, office supplies and equipment, private space, phone, internet, technical support and meeting rooms with video conferencing capability? One could rent by the hour, day, week or longer.
This is interesting because I've looked at doing this in the MA tech loop.

I worked at another company at the CIC (Cambridge Innovation Center) at One Broadway. That is setup where you pay $250/mo/employee and you get office space, desk, chair (Aeron!), Full access to a VERY well stocked kitchen, conference rooms, Internet, Phone and a few other amenities.

These businesses are difficult to run both properly and profitably (although you can do 1 of those 2 in most cases )

The idea of doing this in the Lakes Region has a lot of appeal, but you'd likely need to get some sort of guaranteed tenant to help cover the basic costs. The Angel Investor idea has a lot of appeal to me and I've had thoughts of doing 6-12mo Angel/Incubator things in the Lakes region. Basically get people who have mobility to come in for contract positions doing startup programming for incubator concepts to spin off to be taken over by an EIR at a VC firm. Couple this 4-10 person workforce with a building that could accommodate 30 workstations and you could start to carve out an interesting niche.

I know of a few people who do this sort of contracting work and just live in various parts of the country (or world) for variable amounts of time.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #19
callmeD

[QUOTE=Lakegeezer;88934]I'm not sure of the need, but perhaps a "rent an office" business would do well. Lots of people seem to be working down south while their family spends the week at their summer home. There are also folks that want to move into the area, but need a professional office type environment. How about a business that offers a receptionist, office supplies and equipment, private space, phone, internet, technical support and meeting rooms with video conferencing capability? One could rent by the hour, day, week or longer."

Bill: There is a newly renovated building in Alton Bay as you make the corner(there was a fire and the building was rebuilt last year) that has some residential condos on the top floor and office space on the main level, and in the basement area. I believe the builder, Lee, is offering just what you mention.

Donna
Old 03-09-2009, 06:05 PM   #20
callmeD

Default Alternative Healthy Choices

I would like to see a health care facility or clinic employ alternative health care practitioners, as well as mainstream healers, in order to offer people choices and educate them as to what each can do for them. This could include massage therapists, acupuncturists, chiropractors, psychotherapists, physical therapists, nutritionists, yoga practitioners, among others.

The objective is to heal the patient, and by offering "alternative therapies" and natural approaches to healing, this will empower people to take responsibility for their health. Prevention is key in avoiding many common ailments, and good health involves the whole person - mind, body and spirit.

Along those lines, I would also like to see a health food store, such as Whole Foods, since diet is integral to good health, along with exercise. My favorite place in season is Beans and Greens, but a larger store open all year would be a wonderful option.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #21
Pontoon Goon

Default I know what the surgeon general says

What we need in LR is a good cigar store/ cigar bar. I know there is Jacks in Laconia but if more than one customer in the store at once it is crowded. A place where you can sit back and try a good cigar before buying a box. In a bad economy people do tend to drink and smoke more. I need somebody to step up and play into my vices.
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:28 PM   #22
ishoot308

Thanked 4,943 Times in 1,918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontoon Goon View Post
What we need in LR is a good cigar store/ cigar bar. I know there is Jacks in Laconia but if more than one customer in the store at once it is crowded. A place where you can sit back and try a good cigar before buying a box. In a bad economy people do tend to drink and smoke more. I need somebody to step up and play into my vices.
Couldn't agree more! The few places that do sell cigars have no idea how to keep them properly humidified and everyone I have ever bought has been spoiled.

Even better, someone previous mentioned a high end steakhouse...How about a Ruths Chris of old when they had cigar lounges. You could go there have a fantastic steak then go relax in the cigar bar and enjoy desert with some vintage Gran Marnier. You could even have your own humidor there!

I know an establishment like this would never make it in the Lakes Region, but I can dream can't I...

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:00 PM   #23
trfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Couldn't agree more! The few places that do sell cigars have no idea how to keep them properly humidified and everyone I have ever bought has been spoiled.

Even better, someone previous mentioned a high end steakhouse...How about a Ruths Chris of old when they had cigar lounges. You could go there have a fantastic steak then go relax in the cigar bar and enjoy desert with some vintage Gran Marnier. You could even have your own humidor there!

I know an establishment like this would never make it in the Lakes Region, but I can dream can't I...

Dan
Hey ishoot308, what you want has been here since years. The Black Cat Cafe; (603) 528-3233 http://www.blackcatcafe.com/blackcat/about.htm

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 08:02 AM   #24
Argie's Wife

I just want a laundry mat and car wash in Alton.

If I had some $$$...

I'd buy McGrath's little 5-And-Dime and turn it into a laundry mat/gym/carwash combo. A couple of car wash bays, a little gym with some Nautilus equipment and free weights, and some speedy washer/dryers.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
Kracken (08-26-2010)
Old 03-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #25
ghfromaltonbay

Default We need a laundromat!!

Alton/Alton Bay does not have a laundromat anymore. The Whitneys did a great business in Alton for years despite the dangerous parking lot. Unfortunately, when the old folks died their family let in run into the ground and finally it closed altogether. Now the nearest laundromats are in Pittsfield, Wolfeboro, or Gilford (next to Patrick's Pub) -- the closest being 12 miles away. A new laundromat with safer parking facilities would be a welcome addition for those in Alton/Alton Bay and New Durham. Too bad they opened a 3rd bank in Alton instead of a laundry in the Hannaford shopping center. Maybe operating a laundromat doesn't sound exciting enough, but it is sure needed. Not only do the summer camps need it, but there are many renters year round who are not allowed to have washer/dryers due to septic issues.

Last edited by ghfromaltonbay; 03-11-2009 at 12:14 PM. Reason: added phrase
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #26
Newbiesaukee

As far as cigar stores, the Fermentation Station in Meredith has a pretty good humidor but you have to brew your own drinks (hence the name).
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:52 PM   #27
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
... Unfortunately, when the old folks died their family let in run into the ground and finally it closed altogether. ...
Just curious, is it still there ... equipment there ... or did another business move in?
Old 03-13-2009, 12:01 PM   #28
ghfromaltonbay

Default Still there

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI Swamp Yankee View Post
Just curious, is it still there ... equipment there ... or did another business move in?
As of this past February when I last looked, all the machines and dryers were still inside the laundromat.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:12 AM   #29
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
I just want a laundry mat and car wash in Alton.

If I had some $$$...

I'd buy McGrath's little 5-And-Dime and turn it into a laundry mat/gym/carwash combo. A couple of car wash bays, a little gym with some Nautilus equipment and free weights, and some speedy washer/dryers.
Argie's Wife: Well here's your big chance! The Five & Dime (Lakeside Variety) is having a going out of business sale. 50% off everything. All sales final.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #30
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Argie's Wife: Well here's your big chance! The Five & Dime (Lakeside Variety) is having a going out of business sale. 50% off everything. All sales final.
If a five and dime is having a 50% off sale, does that make it a two point five and nickel store?
Old 11-13-2009, 12:39 PM   #31
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default that depends

If they do a circuit city sale, they raise the price and then do a sale...could be a quarter and fifty cent piece sale.
Old 11-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #32
ghfromaltonbay

Unhappy Another business closing

Now where will we buy those great greeting cards? The 5 & 10 always had a great selection of cards for $0.99 - I bought $25 worth before I headed back to NJ this past October. I'm sorry to hear that the store is closing. I know Doris McGrath is no longer able to work there, but I was hoping her son would keep the place going. It was in a much better spot than the original 5&10 (now home to Marakesh and a few other businesses) and was a great addition once the store at the circle became Aubuchons.

That location would be ideal for a laundromat. Great street visibility + plenty of parking. What we don't need is another bank, hardware store, or beauty salon.
Old 11-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #33
Shreddy

Default Coffee house in Moultonboro

I guarantee that a coffee shop (maybe close to Aubuchon in Moultonboro) would be THRIVE! I'm talking a good sit down, read the paper, converse, read a book coffee shop. There are ZERO good coffee shops in the area. We need something similar to The Met located in North Conway. Someone do it, and I'm sure I can help keep your business afloat!
Shreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:58 PM   #34
SAMIAM

Shreddy....think you've hit on a great idea....we definately need another restaurant in Moultonborough......All we have is The North Shore, Arties, Buckey's, The North End, The Village kitchen, The Bobhouse, The Woodshed, Subway, Kevin's, Lee Wah's, Lemongrass and The Red hill Dairy....plus 3 0r 4 convenience stores selling sandiches, pizza's and meals to go. Why don't you open a place....you can get rich with the rest of us
Old 11-14-2009, 09:00 PM   #35
Greenbean

Default Smut shop needed

There does seem to be an opening for an Bar with adult entertainment as well as a one stop lingerie, video and toy shop. Which town would be best - we were thinking Tamworth because they don't have very strict zoning. Anyone know?
Greenbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:54 PM   #36
Shreddy

Quote:
Shreddy....think you've hit on a great idea....we definately need another restaurant in Moultonborough......All we have is The North Shore, Arties, Buckey's, The North End, The Village kitchen, The Bobhouse, The Woodshed, Subway, Kevin's, Lee Wah's, Lemongrass and The Red hill Dairy....plus 3 0r 4 convenience stores selling sandiches, pizza's and meals to go. Why don't you open a place....you can get rich with the rest of us
With all due respect Sam, I respect you and love the VK, but I don't think you thoroughly understood my post. No where in my post did I say Moultonboro needs another RESTAURANT. I said coffee shop. The closest thing to a coffee shop that the Lakes Region has is Winni Bay Gulls (minus the good choice of coffees) and the Java Tree (if it's even called that?) in Wolfeboro. Like I said, something similar to "The Met" located in North Conway.

For the record, if you lashed out at my post because you think it will jeopardize your business in any way than you need to re-analyze what I proposed and maybe do something about it. The Lakes Region needs a good coffee shop!
Old 11-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #37
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Shreddy....think you've hit on a great idea....we definately need another restaurant in Moultonborough......All we have is The North Shore, Arties,Buckey's,The North End,The Village kitchen,The Bobhouse,The Woodshed,Subway,Kevin's,Lee Wah's Lemongrass and The Red hill Dairy....plus 3 0r 4 convenience stores selling sandiches,pizza's and meals to go.Why don't you open a place....you can get rich with the rest of us
Good list Samiam. Add to that Center Harbor Diner (offically across the line, right?) and the Pizza place by Century 21's offices.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:57 AM   #38
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Unfortunately, I can't use my looks to purchase it.

I'd have no idea about how to go about getting investors, etc. for that sort of thing... maybe someone will take my idea and run with it...
Old 02-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #39
Grady223

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Dan
Re steakhouses, I think O Steak & Seafood, Lakeport is as good as any of the chains. Of course you can no longer smoke in restaurants of bars.
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #40
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwu View Post
Businesses are plenty all around the lake. As a consumer, I do not have to travel far to purchase food. There are enough restaurants, stores,sub shops around. If I need to purchase anything from Walmart or Target, I make the shopping trip! Keep the area green! I would hate to end up like exit 20.
Is there open area on Route 3 past the intersection with 25? Will look as I am just curious. It is already a commercial area. Also along that road to the transfer station in Moultonborough, there is quite a bit of land that might do well with some of that exit 23 commercial business. Just don't know if either area is busy enough in winter. Being right there at 93 is a huge help to those stores in winter I am sure. What would be the harm if some of those Big Box stores came to exit 23? We all go down to that area for different things from time to time.

I also wish one or two of our restaurants would find a way to have a nice salad bar.

I am not a business person so really have no idea what the area needs. I love the lake area just the way it is most of the time! (Not when I am having to drive down to exit 20, or when I am craving a nice salad bar meal though.) At least once a day I find myself saying right out loud, "I love it here."
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:02 PM   #41
Alton Bay

Luvmypups...What is coming to Portsmouth? A Trader Joes or a Whole Foods?
Philbrick's Fresh Market is very nice, if you haven't tried it.
Alton Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:05 AM   #42
twoplustwo

Unhappy I'd rather travel

Is there open area on Route 3 past the intersection with 25? Will look as I am just curious. It is already a commercial area. Also along that road to the transfer station in Moultonborough, there is quite a bit of land that might do well with some of that exit 23 commercial business.

109 in the boro? Bite your tongue. For practical reasons, no, they'd never make it through the winter and the 109/25 intersection is already a train wreck. For purely selfish reasons, I'd rather head to North Conway or Tilton for anything I can't buy local than take a gorgeous road like that and wreck it. I'm trying to imagine driving 109 to the Sandwich Fair and instead of seeing those crazy wild turkeys and the gorgeous views, seeing paved parking lots and big box ugliness. No thanks.

Had our town fathers any inkling into future economies, they would have crafted a Main Street environment off of 25 in the boro - a place where people could park and walk from shop to shop of local stuff much like you can in Meredith or Wolfeboro.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:16 AM   #43
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post

109 in the boro? Bite your tongue. For practical reasons, no, they'd never make it through the winter and the 109/25 intersection is already a train wreck. For purely selfish reasons, I'd rather head to North Conway or Tilton for anything I can't buy local than take a gorgeous road like that and wreck it. I'm trying to imagine driving 109 to the Sandwich Fair and instead of seeing those crazy wild turkeys and the gorgeous views, seeing paved parking lots and big box ugliness. No thanks.
Thanks twoplustwo!

I live on that road and can't imagine looking at a Walmart sign instead of Red Hill
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:34 PM   #44
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplustwo View Post
Is there open area on Route 3 past the intersection with 25? Will look as I am just curious. It is already a commercial area. Also along that road to the transfer station in Moultonborough, there is quite a bit of land that might do well with some of that exit 23 commercial business.

Had our town fathers any inkling into future economies, they would have crafted a Main Street environment off of 25 in the boro - a place where people could park and walk from shop to shop of local stuff much like you can in Meredith or Wolfeboro.
No Not 109 in Moultonborough. I was speaking of that area on RTE 3 in Meredith after the intersection with Rte 25.
Past the hardware store etc.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:24 PM   #45
VitaBene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
No Not 109 in Moultonborough. I was speaking of that area on RTE 3 in Meredith after the intersection with Rte 25.
Past the hardware store etc.
Hi Lucky, TwoPlusTwo was referring to the road to the Mboro transfer station- that is 109 as well. I know, it is confusing but 109 shares 125 from the airport to the Old Country Store, when you take a right headed to the dump, you are on 109!
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (09-01-2010)
Old 08-31-2010, 04:13 PM   #46
SIKSUKR

Maybe there is a market for a combo wine, cheese, bakery, dog groomer, laundermat, spa, and walk-in urgent care superstore!Maybe not.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #47
Rattlesnake Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Maybe there is a market for a combo wine, cheese, bakery, dog groomer, laundermat, spa, and walk-in urgent care superstore!Maybe not.
What, no snowblower parts?
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #48
luvmypups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton Bay View Post
I heard a Trader Joe's is coming or is already there. I was down at the Hanover,Mass store about a month ago and I was telling the lady how I wished there were one near where I live and she said there is one in or coming to Portsmouth.
luvmypups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #49
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmypups View Post
I heard a Trader Joe's is coming or is already there. I was down at the Hanover,Mass store about a month ago and I was telling the lady how I wished there were one near where I live and she said there is one in or coming to Portsmouth.
Sorry, but according to TJ's website, they're opening a store in Portland, Maine - not Portsmouth, NH... I wish they were coming to Portsmouth...

(copy and paste from TJ's website

Coming Soon:
Athens, GA
New York (72nd & Broadway), NY
Omaha, NE
Portland, ME
Rochester, MN
West Des Moines, IA
Old 09-06-2010, 11:38 AM   #50
WinnDixie

Default Curious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alton Bay View Post
We have "The Fresh Market" here. I know it is very much like Whole Foods...is it the Philbrick's one you'd referred to? I can tell you ours is great! Probably would take a place the size of Portland, ME...and maybe Manchester (?) to get one in...and maybe Whole Foods has that Northeast market instead. It would be sure worth a drive (at least to Manchester) occasionally to sample...either "Whole" or "Fresh"! Personally, I am not familiar with Trader Joe's. Is that on the same order?
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #51
fatlazyless

Looking at craigslist-business-Wolfeboro; the fudge store, the wine store, and store fixtures from Pronto Market are all up for sale. So, what-cha think and how-about-that?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #52
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnDixie View Post
We have "The Fresh Market" here. I know it is very much like Whole Foods...is it the Philbrick's one you'd referred to? I can tell you ours is great! Probably would take a place the size of Portland, ME...and maybe Manchester (?) to get one in...and maybe Whole Foods has that Northeast market instead. It would be sure worth a drive (at least to Manchester) occasionally to sample...either "Whole" or "Fresh"! Personally, I am not familiar with Trader Joe's. Is that on the same order?
Trader Joe's is much like Whole Foods - I've been to both. I think Trader Joe's offers more pre-made or frozen foods. Both hire really fun and free-spirit people and it looks like a fun place to work.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:43 AM   #53
Lakegeezer

Default Fairly priced fitness center

Having lived in Manchester for a few years, I was used to the pricing structure of "Planet Fitness", costing about $10/month. What a shock when looking for a replacement near Moultonborough! The Fitness Edge has places in Meredith and M'boro but costs are $53/month (annual is $573) with a $80 enrollment fee. I can see double the price for a rural area, but five times more seems excessive. The area could use a fitness center that is fairly priced. There are tons of people that could use it.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #54
fatlazyless

The unoccupied retail store between Rite Aid and the sporting goods, whose name I do not recall, has been empty since November 2008, when it was first reconstructed.

There used to be such a good mix of stores in there; Ben Franklin, ParaFunalia, Heath Hdwe, Brooks, Phu-Jee, & Heath Super. Tape Escape across the p-lot. Boy-O-buoy, those were the good old days........laa-tee-daaaaaa.........and this is progress?.....

And, here's hoping that empty retail space stays empty for the next twelve years.....yeah! ....(closed fist emoticon here)
Old 03-11-2009, 11:41 PM   #55
corollaman

A good Sport Compact Car parts store. I'm building my Corolla up and I need to order everything I need online. It would be nice to have a store around where I won't have to pay shipping if I do have to order it! LOL We could use a Border's Bookstore too, cause there really aren't any bookstores around with much of a selection in stock. They ought to put a Target and Best Buy here too, instead of more drugstores that we already have an abundance of. LOL and they're building 2 more drugstores just in Laconia. So,yeah, the places I mentioned, we could sure use.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:58 AM   #56
Argie's Wife

Target? Best Buy? Borders?

You're channeling Nashua into Laconia if you go that route.

No thanks for all of the above.

I'd rather see a little mom-n-pop bookstore/coffeeshop/open mic/chess tournament sorta thing go in with some charm and not the corporate signage and industrial atmosphere that Borders has... I loathe big stores and don't feel like they really do much for the area. I'll go to them only if I have to and prefer small-town charm over big-city blitz any day!
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
IslandRadio (08-25-2010)
Old 03-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #57
corollaman

Quote:

I'd rather see a little mom-n-pop bookstore/coffeeshop/open mic/chess tournament sorta thing go in with some charm and not the corporate signage and industrial atmosphere that Borders has... I loathe big stores and don't feel like they really do much for the area. I'll go to them only if I have to and prefer small-town charm over big-city blitz any day!
The good thing about big box stores though is they bring high tax revenue to the city, and that means less taxes they have to charge the HOMEOWNERS. Otherwise, the homeowners would be having to make up what the city isn't getting from the businesses. I see where you're coming from though, the downtown could use some small specialty shops that just sell a certain kind of thing.
corollaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #58
hilltopper

Quote:

I fully agree. It's not like Concord is a 3 day drive if I want to visit any of the big box stores...
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #59
Pricestavern

Default Veterinary Hospital

Is there a Veterinary Hospital in the Alton Bay area - The kind open 24 hours in case of emergencies?
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:31 PM   #60
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Newington is the closest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
Is there a Veterinary Hospital in the Alton Bay area - The kind open 24 hours in case of emergencies?
There is an emergency clinic in Newington across from the Fox Run Mall, which I believe would be the closest. Here is their website:

http://www.seacoastevc.com/

We had to use them about ten years ago when one of our little kittens fell off a circular staircase and hit his face on the edge of an old fireplace mantel. Face swelled up really bad, took him down there and was seen in about 15 minutes. Great care. We had called several vets, one here in Alton and two in Rochester (including our own) and their answering machine messages all referred to this practice.

Most vets today, at least in this area tend to be one or two vet shows, and they do need a life after hours. What we do not see is these vets spending hours in the evenings (sometimes overnight) with critically ill pets. The emergency room concept is, in my opinion, a great idea. Staffed 224/7/365, just like a hospital for us.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #61
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricestavern View Post
In addition to the one mentioned in Newmarket, there is one in Concord as well. CAVES in Concord is a wonderful facility, we have had to go there a couple times now. They just moved into a great new building just off Ft Eddy Rd.
http://www.capareaves.org/
Old 03-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #62
Ropetow

The Newington emergency vet clinic is fantastic! And, a 'no' to chain stores. Thanks to Al Gore's invention (the Internet) we can order anything we want and usually get it tomorrow. This is likely having a negative impact on independent retailers these days. My local bookstore can order a book for me and they'll have it in about 3 days, or I can order it online and have it tomorrow.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:01 PM   #63
PennyPenny

Default A childrens clothing store would be nice

There is no little kids children stores any more. I have to travel to Tilton or North Conway to purchase decent clothing for my grandchildren, nieces or nephews. I know there is TJ Maxx or Walmart but either the selection or the quality isn't there. Granted, Carters or Oshkosh is in Tilton and the same for North Conway but I would like to be able to do my Laconia/Gilford trip and find the "cute stuff" all in the same day.
PennyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PennyPenny For This Useful Post:
Jagstersmom (08-28-2010)
Old 08-28-2010, 09:51 AM   #64
Jagstersmom

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPenny View Post
There is no little kids children stores any more. I have to travel to Tilton or North Conway to purchase decent clothing for my grandchildren, nieces or nephews. I know there is TJ Maxx or Walmart but either the selection or the quality isn't there. Granted, Carters or Oshkosh is in Tilton and the same for North Conway but I would like to be able to do my Laconia/Gilford trip and find the "cute stuff" all in the same day.
Whenever we are looking for something for our grandchildren, it is a struggle, there are no little shops we can check out! If I wanted sub-standard stuff, I could find it at any Wal-Mart! A lovely boutique type children's shop would fit in with the charm of the Lakes region!
Jagstersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:26 PM   #65
fatlazyless

If the state ever takes the big step to legalize some more forms of gambling, then the Weirs Beach area seems like a good fit for some Las Vegas style clubs. Could be a big boost to the Mount Washington if it were able to add gambling and live entertainment.....what a venue....Cruise the Mount ...and what happens on-board....stays on-board. Probably, a big hit!
Old 03-10-2010, 07:42 AM   #66
sky's

Default when somebody decides i have a beautiful building for lease/sale

i have a very nice building in Moultonboro located at 517 Whittier nicely remodeled downstairs and the upstairs could be remodeled to 3 bedroom apartment. give me a shout. 254-4151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Recent threads here have got me wondering. What types of business would do well in the area? We have seen the ones that do not do well and they go under faster than a 20 lb rock in the lake. So what service is lacking up here that people would call a business that would be successful? We know what doesn't do well so lets leave those out. Concentrate on services that are needed in the area, and that would actually be used. Maybe we could help someone out.
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 11:57 AM   #67
Nitronut

What about something that incorporated a lot of these ideas. Kind of a private club that also provided a high end gourmet restaurant, cigar lounge, and office services. Similar to the 100 Club in Portsmouth. There could be a board room for meetings, secretary(s) and computer/video conferencing equipment, and maybe a locker room for storage of private, hard to find, wines, liquors, cigars or other personal products. Limousine service for airport runs and so local "designated driver" needs were met. Additional services for members could include a concierge service for trip bookings and lake needs, and a winter cleaning, maintenance service for checking on vacant properties. Maybe even a spa/massage services.
Would there be a need for this? Maybe a Guilford location, close to the airport? Kimball Castle perhaps. On the 20 plus acres surrounding the castle you could put high end cabins for visiting guests and business associates, that you want close but not too close.
What would be the value $$ or this type of service? What would be the interest level?
Nitronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:55 PM   #68
Winni P

Default Freedom Boat Club

I'd love to see a Freedom Boat Club type of business up there!
Winni P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #69
birchhaven

Default boating club

Do you think a freedom boat club would work on the lake? I always was intrigued with the idea of no maintenance, different boat everyday, and no dock fee, but the 5k sign up charge always killed me.
birchhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:46 PM   #70
Winni P

Default Boat Club

I'm not sure if it would work but it intrigues me too. I live on the ocean and we have talked about joining someday. If it was available at the lake, I would join in a heartbeat.
Winni P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #71
Nitronut

I just checked it out. Not a bad deal when you think about it.
I know my $50K boat costs me about 410/mth loan payment, $500+/yr maintenance, $300/yr winterizing, $600/yr insurance, not to mention the headache of storing it. What's that $6310 per year. Although in my case, moving the fishing gear in and out each time would be a huge ordeal. But if you live in multiple spots for different seasons, or travel waterfront frequently, I could see where this would be great.
Ouch! It just dawned on me how much I'm spending before gas, oil, and fishing fees.
Nitronut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #72
jrc

I seem to remeber Fay's have a sailboat club in the past?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #73
fatlazyless

Driving past on the road that skirts Paugus Bay, it looks like the Paugus Bay Sports Shop has done sold its last fishing bait and done closed up for good. Hate to see a locally owned small biz get closed up and probably succumb to the nearby fishing dept at Wal-Mart, or something like that.

Noticed there's a new business that's opened in the Meredith shopping center in the spot formerly occupied by The Tape Escape. Believe the new biz is a Verizon Wireless Telephone store....which for me is totally underwhelming....give me the old stores....Ben Franklin, Parafunalia, Tape Escape & October Farm any day of the week and twice on Sundays...as opposed to what's now there.....and this is supposedly progress? Like wow....a Verizon Store....ugh!

Betcha the rent in there is very high, because one large storefront next to Rite Aid has been continuously vacant since Thanksgiving 2008, when the construction was completed, and a Verizon can no doubt swing a steep rent.

Hannaford....no-way, Rite Aid....is the wrong aid, and now a Verizon store....good grief!
Old 06-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #74
VitaBene

Default Lake Region Computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Driving past on the road that skirts Paugus Bay, it looks like the Paugus Bay Sports Shop has done sold its last fishing bait and done closed up for good. Hate to see a locally owned small biz get closed up and probably succumb to the nearby fishing dept at Wal-Mart, or something like that.

Noticed there's a new business that's opened in the Meredith shopping center in the spot formerly occupied by The Tape Escape. Believe the new biz is a Verizon Wireless Telephone store....which for me is totally underwhelming....give me the old stores....Ben Franklin, Parafunalia, Tape Escape & October Farm any day of the week and twice on Sundays...as opposed to what's now there.....and this is supposedly progress? Like wow....a Verizon Store....ugh!

Betcha the rent in there is very high, because one large storefront next to Rite Aid has been continuously vacant since Thanksgiving 2008, when the construction was completed, and a Verizon can no doubt swing a steep rent.

Hannaford....no-way, Rite Aid....is the wrong aid, and now a Verizon store....good grief!
FLL, that is really LR Computer. They are also Verizon resellers. They are a locally owned computer store where you can always get good advice and gear.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #75
Argie's Wife

...and can we have coffee shops in the LR more than Dunkin Donuts?

I really don't like their coffee and I hate their pre-fab pastries.

Gimme strong, almost rude, dark, Turkish coffee. Give it a tastee carb-loaded, home-made pastry for a side-kick... and I'm in love.

Where's one of these type of places in the LR?

(And for the love of all that's holy, please don't say 'Starbucks' in Tilton.)
Old 06-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #76
Shreddy

Quote:

Gimme strong, almost rude, dark, Turkish coffee. Give it a tastee carb-loaded, home-made pastry for a side-kick... and I'm in love.

Careful expressing these feelings. Area business owners are scared this might hurt their business!
Old 08-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #77
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
Careful expressing these feelings. Area business owners are scared this might hurt their business!
Shreddy, How will the local businesses know how to improve to keep a strong business if no one ever says what could be better????
Old 08-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #78
Shreddy

Quote:
Shreddy, How will the local businesses know how to improve to keep a strong business if no one ever says what could be better????
Go back and read the thread...you'll see the slight debacle I was involved in.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #79
jmen24

Default I have your coffee

Quote:

I have the coffee that you are looking for and it can be brewed on an stove top but preferably over an open fire.

Take a nice steel coffee brewer (the old style perc type work best, can also use a pot, but either way you need to be able to stir with a wooden spoon, so get a biggin), now throw out all that percolating garbage on the inside so you are left with just a brewing pot and a lid.

Fill with water (leave some space at the top for a tall glass worth of additional water) and add in your ground coffee, how much does not matter, dump, scoop, whatever you are in the mood for. Get that into a rolling boil.

Once boiling, remove from the heat and start stirring the pot, you are looking for a good funnel shape in the center, not washing machine style stirring. Got a good current, good, now pour in a glass full of ice cold water and let the current go away on its own. No more agitation from the brewmaster or else.

Over 90% of the coffee grounds will be at the bottom of the pot and unless you pull the short straw you will have a great STRONG cup of coffee to get you going. Short straw gets the last cup and something about having to chew your way to the bottom of the cup just does not sit well with some folks.

And DO NOT think of adding sugar or milk to this style of coffee, that stuff is for skirts and it will not be able to handle the power brought on by the "coffee".

Enjoy
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #80
Lucky1

I love Canoe but miss the great pizza that used to be there in part of the former restaurant.

I miss Trues and I miss Fullers!

I love Hannafords and am there two or three times each week and have never had the slightest problem getting in or out.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:28 PM   #81
angela4design

Ooohhh! Panera! That's a brilliant idea!

That intersection at 3/25 is under review by the NHDOT for consideration and planning of a traffic circle. I'm not sure what stage it's in now, but I think it's still being planned and designed. After completed, I suppose it would go to the town for approval?? (Maybe they did that first, IDK)

That would certainly have an impact on the traffic at Crosspoint. Although, I don't expect it will make it any easier to get out!
angela4design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:33 PM   #82
Lakesrider

Quote:
I love Hannafords and am there two or three times each week and have never had the slightest problem getting in or out.
You need to go food shopping two or three times a week? Man! You must have a very hungry family. Then again being a regular like that they must send someone out to stop traffic for you.....
Old 08-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #83
Tomt

I would love to see a store similar to J.Pace and sons in Saugus, Ma. I say it to my wife all the time. They have a great bakery, cold cuts, prepared foods, marinated meats, imported products. If I had any knowledge of running that type of business and the nerve to jump into the market in that area I would do it myself. As much as I enjoy alot of the food establishments in the Moultonborough area, a place like Pace's would blow them all out of the water when it comes to that type of store.

http://jpaceandson.com/index.php
Tomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:18 PM   #84
twoplustwo

Default Wine'ing Butcher

Tom, you need to check out The Wine'ing Butcher in Meredith or Gilford. Wonderful foods of all kinds.

http://www.thewineingbutcher.com/
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #85
Tomt

Yes, I will try Meredith I was in the one in Gilford a couple of years ago. What they do sell is very good, from the website it looks like they have more than I remember. I will certainly make it a point to go into meredith.

Thank You
Tomt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 04:31 PM   #86
Argie's Wife

There's now Fiddleheads Market in Alton, right on Main St. They seem to feature various vendors - such as a The Meat Market, a seafood market, a cheese shop, and a bakery. Excellent wine and beer selection. Their produce is mostly local and very inexpensive.

And it appears a wine shop will be opening on Main St. in Alton, just across the street from the Town Hall. I don't know details on the dates of the grand opening or anything but I have seen an old, unused building go from "blah" to "WOW!" in a restoration project to make the market look very nice.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:14 AM   #87
Alton Bay

Quote:

And it appears a wine shop will be opening on Main St. in Alton, just across the street from the Town Hall. I don't know details on the dates of the grand opening or anything but I have seen an old, unused building go from "blah" to "WOW!" in a restoration project to make the market look very nice.
Any idea when the wine shop will open?
Alton Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:22 AM   #88
NHBoat70

Default Region needs youthful activities

This area is awful for single people in their 20s and 30s. There is no place to go after 9pm between Columbus Day and Memorial Day besides the bars which get old really quick. Even during the summer there aren't many places around here that are geared toward the younger crowd and/or are fun.

There should be a pool hall/bowling/darts/other games place geared toward youthful members, but add some class by requiring a dress code of some sort. I'm tired of going out and seeing all these bums or "ganstas" who always cause trouble. Have a lounge some place in town where you need to wear black shoes, a buttoned down shirt and charge $5 or $10 to get in.

Its sad how everything is done through the Internet now and thanks to these stupid smart phones, there is little to no face-to-face social interaction with anyone. There are no places to meet people outside of the bar setting. If there is, please tell me!
NHBoat70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NHBoat70 For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (10-31-2010)
Old 11-01-2010, 12:06 AM   #89
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBoat70 View Post
This area is awful for single people in their 20s and 30s. There is no place to go after 9pm between Columbus Day and Memorial Day besides the bars which get old really quick. Even during the summer there aren't many places around here that are geared toward the younger crowd and/or are fun.

There should be a pool hall/bowling/darts/other games place geared toward youthful members, but add some class by requiring a dress code of some sort. I'm tired of going out and seeing all these bums or "ganstas" who always cause trouble. Have a lounge some place in town where you need to wear black shoes, a buttoned down shirt and charge $5 or $10 to get in.

Its sad how everything is done through the Internet now and thanks to these stupid smart phones, there is little to no face-to-face social interaction with anyone. There are no places to meet people outside of the bar setting. If there is, please tell me!
Your right- there aren't many places to go. Back in my teens and twenties there were a number of places to go to where you could socialize and dance. Of course that was many many moons ago!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:55 AM   #90
Lakesrider

Hey my thread made it to the elite status of over 10000 views....Yippeee....I am somebody now.

I agree with the no place to go comment. Noticed that as soon as I moved up here. Does everyone up here own black shoes though? Jus' sayin'!
I'd love to open a club like the Bahama Beach club of the 80's down in MA. I used to go there all the time until it burned down. I wouldn't think people would mind dressing up a bit and throwing down $10.00 every once in a while for some dancing and socializing. You are right. The bar scene gets a bit old after a while. You see the same old bar flys.....
Old 11-01-2010, 09:12 AM   #91
fatlazyless

Friday nites, 6-8-pm, at the Meredith Community Center, for just one dollar you can get instruction in climbing their 24' high 'Mt Meredith' climbing wall which includes a wicked bad overhang!

Who knows....maybe they could raise the price up to ten dollars and require 'Lakeside Semi-Formal Attire' for this weekly Friday night event and serve up an adult beverage or two or three. (See other thread down in winter sports because it will not be held on Nov 12 or Nov 26.)

Last edited by fatlazyless; 11-06-2010 at 04:40 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #92
Lakesrider

Oh I would love to see that on video. Bunch of inebriated people trying to do a climbing wall.....That would be a barrel of laughs....

"Come on Fred...Hic....I'll...Hic...race ya to the top...hic....."
Old 11-05-2010, 12:40 PM   #93
Soapmistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Friday nites, 6-8-pm, at the Meredith Community Center, for just one dollar you can get instruction in climbing their 24' high 'Mt Meredith' climbing wall which includes a wicked bad overhang!

Who knows....maybe they could raise the price up to ten dollars and require 'Lakeside Semi-Formal Attire' for this weekly Friday night event and serve up an adult beverage or two or three. (See other thread down in winter sports.)
Hmmmm......rock climbing for a buck, I'm in....sounds like fun
Soapmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:30 AM   #94
Lakegeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
FLL, that is really LR Computer. They are also Verizon resellers. They are a locally owned computer store where you can always get good advice and gear.
Actually, a good computer store would be nice. I've been in LR computer for several things and always walk out empty handed. The last time in there, I was looking for blank CDs. I ended up finding one selection at Heaths Hardware. LR Computer seems to be mostly about Verizon phones with a bit computer stuff thrown in.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:04 PM   #95
Lucky1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I seem to remeber Fay's have a sailboat club in the past?
Fay's did have a sailboat club as my daughter was a member there. I would trail her boat (and sometimes another member's boat on top of her boat) off to different races around NH and VT. This would have been around the mid nineties. Don't know what happened after that.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:06 AM   #96
pit martin

I go to the ICSC (shopping center deal making) in NY and most recently in Boston. The owners of this development had a booth at both, actively seeking to locate a tenant . They obviously are looking for a National Tenant to fill the entire vacant space.
pit martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:30 AM   #97
Mr. V

Laconia needs an Urgency Care Clinic!

I needed a simple, outpatient procedure performed, and since I am from out of the area I had no regular physician.

Out West, we have many walk-in Urgency Care Clinics to choose from, and yes, they take insurance.

Not Laconia.

Heck, I walked into an ENT's office and they refused to see me unless I had a referral from another doctor!

So, off the the Emergency Room, which was drastic overkill for the medical issue at hand.

BTW, the ER at the hospital was not impressive: the people were good, but the physical plant leaves much to be desired.

Why no Urgency Care Clinics / walk-in clinics in Laconia?

This omission seems curiously inexcusable.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #98
RI Swamp Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
.... Why no Urgency Care Clinics / walk-in clinics in Laconia? ....
THAT seems like a major need that should be addressed, maybe by the local hospital if a few local doctors can not get together and do it.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:32 AM   #99
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

There should be one in Wolfeboro too. I think it would do a tremendous business. However, can you imagine all the rules and regulations?????
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #100
AmericanBoatClub

Lightbulb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winni P View Post
I'd love to see a Freedom Boat Club type of business up there!
Not sure if this post is too much of an advertisement? If it is I am sorry and I am sure it can be taken down, but it seems relevent.

We will be launching our club in the spring of 2011, we are very excited about it. We agree the lake seems to be lacking a great boat club. So come 2011 you will be able enjoy our fleet of boats for less than the cost of a boat slip!

Our website is underconstruction but you can find us on facebook, and I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Laconi...5126999?ref=ts
AmericanBoatClub is offline   Reply With Quote