Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2021, 07:46 PM   #1
mswlogo

Default NH lost COVID tracking ability months ago

This is a pretty sad state of affairs for NH and COVID.

They have some issues tracking both vaccines and cases.
And part of it could have been fixed with money the executive counsel recently turned away.

https://www.nhpr.org/coronavirus-updates

— NHPR Staff (extracted from the link above)

New Hampshire's COVID-19 vaccine data hasn’t been accurate for months, officials say
Updated: 1:53 p.m., Oct. 29

New Hampshire health officials say they are currently unable to accurately measure either the state’s current COVID-19 vaccination rate or new cases of the virus, two of the most important data points in the fight against the pandemic.

New Hampshire’s COVID-19 vaccine data has not been exact for months, due to what officials describe as technical challenges in the state’s immunization information system.

New Hampshire’s Health and Human Services Commissioner Lori Shibinette explained on Oct. 27 that the problem began back in the summer when the state lost the ability to migrate data about new vaccinations from pharmacies, which provide a large portion of the state’s COVID-19 vaccinations.

Over the summer, the gap in vaccinations as reported by the state and the CDC grew to a discrepancy of more than 200,000 first doses. The state health department’s data is currently showing 60 percent of the total population has received at least one dose of the vaccine, while the CDC puts that same figure at 75 percent.

NHPR reported on the gap during the summer, but at the time, the state did not respond to multiple requests about what was driving the disparity.

Shibinette said until the issue is fixed, the CDC data is a more accurate measure of vaccination in the state. She said funding to fix the issue and improve the state's immunization system was in a $27 million contract that was rejected by the state’s Republican-majority Executive Council earlier this month.

Another key measure of the impact of COVID-19 in the state is also not currently reliable. New Hampshire’s tracking system for new daily COVID cases also stopped working in late October, and as staff continues to sort through a backlog of data, case numbers on the state’s COVID-19 dashboard report state data are inaccurate, health officials say. Daily updates do include accurate numbers for COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths but are still missing case counts.

While new daily infections may appear to be falling, health officials say that’s actually not the case; they estimate the state continues to see over 500 daily new cases of the virus, where things have stood for the past month.

A spokesperson for the state health department says they expect to report complete, accurate case data next week.

— Alli Fam, NHPR

Last edited by mswlogo; 10-29-2021 at 11:42 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 08:02 PM   #2
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
This is a pretty sad state of affairs for NH and COVID.

They have some issues tracking both vaccines and cases.

And part of it could have been fixed with money the fine governor turned away.

https://www.nhpr.org/coronavirus-updates

— NHPR Staff (extracted from the link above)

New Hampshire's COVID-19 vaccine data hasn’t been accurate for months, officials say

Updated: 1:53 p.m., Oct. 29

New Hampshire health officials say they are currently unable to accurately measure either the state’s current COVID-19 vaccination rate or new cases of the virus, two of the most important data points in the fight against the pandemic.

New Hampshire’s COVID-19 vaccine data has not been exact for months, due to what officials describe as technical challenges in the state’s immunization information system.

New Hampshire’s Health and Human Services Commissioner Lori Shibinette explained on Oct. 27 that the problem began back in the summer when the state lost the ability to migrate data about new vaccinations from pharmacies, which provide a large portion of the state’s COVID-19 vaccinations.

Over the summer, the gap in vaccinations as reported by the state and the CDC grew to a discrepancy of more than 200,000 first doses. The state health department’s data is currently showing 60 percent of the total population has received at least one dose of the vaccine, while the CDC puts that same figure at 75 percent.

NHPR reported on the gap during the summer, but at the time, the state did not respond to multiple requests about what was driving the disparity.

Shibinette said until the issue is fixed, the CDC data is a more accurate measure of vaccination in the state. She said funding to fix the issue and improve the state's immunization system was in a $27 million contract that was rejected by the state’s Republican-majority Executive Council earlier this month.

Another key measure of the impact of COVID-19 in the state is also not currently reliable. New Hampshire’s tracking system for new daily COVID cases also stopped working in late October, and as staff continues to sort through a backlog of data, case numbers on the state’s COVID-19 dashboard report state data are inaccurate, health officials say. Daily updates do include accurate numbers for COVID-19 hospitalizations and deaths but are still missing case counts.

While new daily infections may appear to be falling, health officials say that’s actually not the case; they estimate the state continues to see over 500 daily new cases of the virus, where things have stood for the past month.

A spokesperson for the state health department says they expect to report complete, accurate case data next week.

— Alli Fam, NHPR
I find this both funny and sad. But, we were to believe accepting the $27 million would have fixed everything

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
TCC (10-30-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 08:51 PM   #3
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
I find this both funny and sad. But, we were to believe accepting the $27 million would have fixed everything

Nobody is saying that. Only you implying someone did.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:52 PM   #4
SailinAway

NOW they tell us? Months later??!! I was beginning to wonder about this because the NH state statistics didn't seem to match the numbers reported elsewhere. I may have to apologize if my numbers in other posts were inaccurate.

So what are the actual numbers? Number of people fully vaccinated, current number of infections, etc.

Holy cow, don't they realize that people rely on those numbers to make decisions?
Old 10-29-2021, 09:02 PM   #5
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
Nobody is saying that. Only you implying someone did.
No, that is exactly what was said at yesterday’s press conference. Do your homework before you question one’s statement

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2021, 09:37 PM   #6
John Mercier

I don't think the Governor rejected the money.
I think it was the Executive Council.
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (10-30-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 11:39 PM   #7
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
No, that is exactly what was said at yesterday’s press conference. Do your homework before you question one’s statement

State your source before implying it was me or what I linked. Especially where it wasn't in what I said or what I linked.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:41 PM   #8
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
I don't think the Governor rejected the money.
I think it was the Executive Council.
I stand corrected on that. It was even stated as so in what I posted. Thanks for the correction. I updated my post.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:37 PM   #9
SailinAway

The state website is still up and posting numbers.
https://www.covid19.nh.gov/dashboard/overview

They're still posting a daily count of new infections and active cases. How is this possible if they're saying elsewhere that these numbers aren't accurate?
Old 11-04-2021, 09:29 PM   #10
John Mercier

Because they post what they have...
Old 11-05-2021, 12:35 PM   #11
iw8surf

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Because they post what they have...
Because posting fear is more lucrative than facts and actual data.
Old 11-05-2021, 01:48 PM   #12
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw8surf View Post
You mean the State of New Hampshire makes more money if people are afraid? How does that work, exactly? I hope the money they're making from fear is more than the $27 million they turned down.
The Following User Says Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
erk (11-09-2021)
Old 11-05-2021, 05:21 PM   #13
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw8surf View Post
It is actual data. All that they have.
But they cannot through that data determine the number of people that have been infected more than once, or those that have been vaccinated, but not yet accounted for because of the private providers.