Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2021, 08:06 AM   #1
Taz

Default Gutter guards/covers

Anyone with trees arouund their house or in the woods have good or bad experiences with these? I have read that they can be a waste of money because eventually they need to be removed to clean the gutter and that is more labor because of removal and then cleaning. Also read that in downpours the rain can overwhelm the cover.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taz For This Useful Post:
GregW11 (08-06-2021)
Old 08-06-2021, 08:28 AM   #2
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

I have Leaf Filters and they work well. The salesman that comes out starts with a very high quote but with some discussion and patience the price will drop significantly.

They have been in place for about 4 years and I have not looked in the gutters to see if anything has gone through the filters. I think anything small enough to get through the gutter guards will wash out with a heavy rain.

If only it would rain more!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:02 AM   #3
Taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I have Leaf Filters and they work well. The salesman that comes out starts with a very high quote but with some discussion and patience the price will drop significantly.

They have been in place for about 4 years and I have not looked in the gutters to see if anything has gone through the filters. I think anything small enough to get through the gutter guards will wash out with a heavy rain.

If only it would rain more!
What kind of trees? Pine? Leaf trees? Heavily wooded? Trees hanging over your house? Sorry for all the questions. I have 1 leaf tree in front of house. Nothing else in front. Wooded area out back with pines, leaf trees. Nothing near the house or hanging over. Wooded area is 20 - 30 yards from the back of the house.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 09:29 AM   #4
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,146 Times in 893 Posts

On one side a single big pine that hangs over the roof. On the other side nothing.

Prior to installing the leaf filters the gutters would fill up constantly and needed an annual cleaning.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Taz (08-06-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 03:13 PM   #5
uschisk

Default Gutter guards

We did this for our primary home - we were able to purchase covers from a big box store (dont remember which) and snap them on ourselves - haven't cleaned the gutters since!! We have many trees around the house - keeps the leaves out.
uschisk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to uschisk For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-09-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2021, 05:36 PM   #6
camp guy

Default Gutter guards/covers

I, too, have LeafFilters and the gutters are staying clean. In a big downpour, because of the geometry of the gutter layout (not the fault of LeafFilter), I do get some spill-over. I attribute this to the fact that the filter screening itself does reduce the inflow of water to the gutter by the simple fact that it is there.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
trfour (08-08-2021)
Old 08-08-2021, 07:06 PM   #7
SAB1

For that reason alone I don’t cover mine and just clean them
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
trfour (08-08-2021)
Old 08-09-2021, 01:20 AM   #8
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post
Anyone with trees arouund their house or in the woods have good or bad experiences with these? I have read that they can be a waste of money because eventually they need to be removed to clean the gutter and that is more labor because of removal and then cleaning. Also read that in downpours the rain can overwhelm the cover.
Are you sure that you actually need to have gutters at all ? Some houses don't really need them and some do.

If you want to get the water away from your foundation (due to a wet basement issue) then they're a good thing to have. But, if you have good drainage away from your foundation then they may not be needed at all.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 09:15 AM   #9
Jdarby

I have Leaf Filters installed. They work as advertised. I was not happy with the installers. What was supposed to be a single day install took two because they showed up so late on the first day without even calling to say they were delayed. I picked up 20-30 screws off the ground that they randomly dropped during install but didn’t bother cleaning up. They were also supposed to fix two downspout issues which they said their boss told them wasn’t needed. Both the salesman and a private home inspector noted the same down spout issues. They refused to make the down spout corrections and said a Leaf Filter technician would be back to complete that work. No one ever showed up and my phone calls and emails went unanswered. Product works….service sucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Jdarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 11:25 AM   #10
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default No gutters

I built in 1977, cape style, so no big overhangs. We specifically requested no gutters, and proper French drains and landscaping. We also have Bituthane (Ice and Water Shield) on the bottom 3 feet of the sides, and copper flashing in exposed areas. No problems after 40+ years. I also have nice 30' wood extension ladder for sale. Barely used.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 02:30 PM   #11
winterh

My gutters were constantly filling up with pine needles and debris. I am unsure what they are called but I got them at Home Depot. They are a kind of foam mesh that fits in the gutter. they come in 6 ft lengths and are easy to cut to size. Water flows right through and the leaves and debris just flow right over the top. Cheap, easy to install and work great.
winterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 07:19 PM   #12
map

We had them on our last house. We lived on 10 1/2 acres of wooded land. Each year we would just run some water with a hose through the gutters to force out any smaller debri might have gotten in, or insect nests, etc.

Our cottage that we now live in here has no gutters.
map is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to map For This Useful Post:
Descant (08-09-2021)