Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2017, 09:35 PM   #1
bigdog

Default Ticking sound from engine ?

I just started having a ticking (or tapping) sound coming from the engine today ! Car is 2013 For Explorer XLT 6 cyl., 48k miles.

Car has been running strong since I bought with 28k miles on it, it was a 2 yr lease off car. Been a great car since day one !

I seem to notice more ticking at idle, when I speed up sound disappears or maybe I don't notice ?

I recently bought off-brand gas, and hoping that's the problem ?
I change oil regular intervals and add a gas additive once a month to clear out the injectors.

Some folks have offered me the following reasons:
Rocker arm may need replaced or a lifter, or worn nob on camshaft ?
Not going to jump to conclusions until professionally checked out.

Taking to local (trusted) repair shop for their opinion, also checking warranty. I believe Ford Powertrain is covered for 5 years or 60k miles, whichever comes first. If the issues is serious I may just be able to slide repairs under the warranty... TBD ?

Going to add fresh name-brand gas and listen for a difference.

Appreciate your thoughts !
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:57 AM   #2
Top-Water

Sounds like there is something wrong with the 710 level or possibly the wrong kind of 710 fluid.

My 1999 silverado pick up has had that sound since it was "new" at start up. 320,000 miles later its still there.

Any chance you changed brands of "oil" recently or had someone other than yourself change it for you.

For the cheap monies it cost to just "do it" I'd change the oil with exactly what the manufacturer recommends for this time of year.

Sounds like a "lazy lifter" if it goes away when you give the engine a little more speed/rpm and generate a little more oil pressure to pump up the lifter.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:38 AM   #3
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Sounds like there is something wrong with the 710 level or possibly the wrong kind of 710 fluid.

My 1999 silverado pick up has had that sound since it was "new" at start up. 320,000 miles later its still there.

Any chance you changed brands of "oil" recently or had someone other than yourself change it for you.

For the cheap monies it cost to just "do it" I'd change the oil with exactly what the manufacturer recommends for this time of year.

Sounds like a "lazy lifter" if it goes away when you give the engine a little more speed/rpm and generate a little e more oil pressure to pump up the lifter.

Thanks Top-Water for your feedback, much appreciated !

FYI, the sound does seem to go away when I give a little more Rpm,speed.....
If I have a 'lazy lifter' would there something I could do to eliminate ?
Oil/Filter changes, maybe some 'Lucas' engine additive ?

What did you mean "something wrong with the 710 level or possibly the wrong kind of 710 fluid" ??? Sorry, but I don't know what this means ?

Thanks,
Bigdog
Old 06-12-2017, 07:08 AM   #4
bigdog

I did some research and found the following reasons for ticking:
Lazy Lifter
Tranny issue
Loose valve cover, creating a loss in pressure.
Computer related, causing engine to run too rich/lean
Loose spark plug
Loose belt
Warped pulley

Advised to get a computer check to see what diagnose checks pop-up

Oh.... coincidently, my A/C stopped working at the same time, and thinking somehow this may all be related ?
Old 06-12-2017, 07:47 AM   #5
AC2717

usually in the ford its sticky lifters or an oil pump.

run an engine oil flush then change the filter and oil and add some marvel's mystery oil to it. See if it corrects the problem.

engine flush quart would be a $3-$5 and then the oil change cost
Old 06-12-2017, 08:16 AM   #6
ITD

If it's under warranty bring it to a dealer, if it is not, turn up the radio. Lots of things will tick. Exhaust leak, fuel injector, fuel regulator, plus all you mentioned. If you can hear it above the radio, worry. I had a Jeep with a Hemi, that thing ticked all the time. It had 150k miles when I got rid of it, engine still running strong.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:42 AM   #7
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

If it's under warrantee then bring it into the dealer. Even if they say it's fine and do nothing get it in writing stating what you brought it in for and that they found nothing. Make sure the miles are on the slip also. This way if something happens to the motor or it gets worse you have a document stating that you brought it to their attention.
I would not use a motor flush. If you have change the oil regularly then motor flush is a waste of time and money. If it's a sticky lifter there are additives you can try but I would try them after you've taken it to the dealer.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:15 PM   #8
cessnaair

Default Take it to the dealer

As the senior member above said, if they find nothing, make sure it gets noted with the mileage
cessnaair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #9
bigdog

GOT IT !!!!

Thanks everyone !

BTW, having my state inspection this week at my trusted repair shop in Gilford, will have them run a diagnosis check to see what shows up.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:20 AM   #10
Meredith_Resident

PCV valve, lifter, or the wrong type of oil. That's what I'd start with.

Sent from my LGUS997 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 06-14-2017, 07:15 PM   #11
Woody38

Had a problem with our 1979 Cadillac, our first and last GM. I changed the oil and added a quart of cleaning oil and ran for several miles. Then I changed the oil, added a can of STP and a pint of Marvel Mystery Oil. Solved the problem and as a side also stopped the oil consumption.
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:33 PM   #12
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Thanks Top-Water ...............

What did you mean "something wrong with the 710 level or possibly the wrong kind of 710 fluid" ??? Sorry, but I don't know what this means ?

Thanks,
Bigdog

Have you car - "listened" - too by your mechanic if possible when the engine is cold just like when you start it at the beginning of the day when you hear this ticking noise anything less than simulating exactly when this happens will be a waste of time for each of you. As others have mentioned start with a basic high quality (name brand) oil and filter change using exactly what the manufacturer recommends for this time of year. Some manufactures have summer and winter recommendations for what viscosity oil to use at different times of the year. This information should be in your owners manual.

Start with doing this first, its ground zero for anyone trying to give you a fair assessment of what could possibly be wrong.

More than likely without listening to it myself and your description it's something related to oil getting to the hydraulic lifter, very likely an air pocket in the lifter itself that will sometimes correct itself with a fresh oil & filter change. Its not that uncommon as the engine ages a bit for this to happen. But once again start with the basics change the oil and filter, its something you have to do anyway.

Two or three additional notes, when you change the oil and filter and start the car for the first time, make note of the noise level of the ticking noise. See how much difference at start up the noise level is and how long it takes for the ticking to go away if it does, without rev-ing up the engine. If possible make note of the oil pressure before and after the oil change if you have a gage that would give you that information. Hopefully your engine will run quieter, if it does not or gets worse then you would have to look into the oil pump itself, but lets not go there yet it still could be something else. Also mentioned above specifically check the exhaust manifold gasket. Always much more noticeable when (an) engine is cold and can sometimes be confused with other engine problems. Have your mechanic check that when you get your inspection sticker.

Last edited by Top-Water; 06-14-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #13
bigdog

Default Update - Problem identified !

Reporting back to Post....

Had car diagnosed by trusted repair shop...
They actually used a stethoscope, to listen and determined my AC Compressor is toast ! Isolated issues as bearings...

He said the compressor is tied to fan, water pump, etc with the same serpentine belt.... So if the AC Compressor pulley seizes up, the belt will snap, and everything shuts down, including the engine !

Having an estimate for replacement. Compressor anywhere from $300-500, plus labor installation.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:34 AM   #14
8gv

Can the a/c clutch be replaced separate from the compressor?

If it ticks all the time then it seems like the a/c compressor clutch is the issue, not the whole shebang.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:44 AM   #15
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Can the a/c clutch be replaced separate from the compressor?

If it ticks all the time then it seems like the a/c compressor clutch is the issue, not the whole shebang.
It can be but you need a special puller to get the clutch assembly off and in most cases you still have to take the compressor off. It's usually cheaper to just replace the whole compressor. Not to mention, it's difficult to determine if the noise is coming from the inside of the compressor or just the clutch itself.
If the compressor seizes up then you have to replace the receiver dryer and flush the contaminants from compressor that have gone through the whole system. If you don't then the new compressor will be junk in less than a year.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:20 AM   #16
bigdog

All good points, thanks for your feedback !

Having 2 repair shops provide estimates, to compare.

BD