Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #1
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default A Good Friend needs some help..

A good friend of Mrs. and Mr. SteveA has had a beloved pet wander off.

Please keep your eyes peeled for this handsome devil. He managed to get off the property in the Gilford Village/Weeks Woods area.

MISSING FROM GILFORD
SINCE 8/8/09
GREAT PYRENEES
“JACK”

Call 527-1400 OR 630-3529

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
Pineedles

OMG what beautiful baby! I wish I were up there right now to help find him! Jack! Listen to your Winni uncles Go home! Good boy.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
gravy boat

Default Missing

Thanks for posting, SteveA....we have been keeping an eye out for Jack since Lisa called us. What a great dog he is! I had hoped that someone held him until when the Humane Society opened yesterday, but as of last night nobody reported him found. ;-(

I believe he has a microchip, but the finder must know to take him to a vet or local Humane Society for scanning.

We are continually watching for him wherever we drive within a 20-mile radius -- even the old boys can get some distance over time.

Gravy
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
eillac@dow

Default Has Jack been found?

SteveA,

You are right....he is a handsome devil! It has been a couple of days now.....has Jack been found? Sorry, I don't live in the area, so the chances of me finding him are slim to none....unless he is a great walker.

I hope to hear good news soon.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
Airwaves

I printed out a couple of pics from your post and I will put them up where they will be seen by folks passing by.

Please let us know when he is found!
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default I Don't Know if he's been found

We haven't heard the current news from Lisa. I'm away on business, and won't hear any update until Friday morning.

SteveA

Thanks for posting the Pics Airwaves.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:13 AM   #7
gravy boat

Default Missing

As of yesterday (Sunday, August 16) there was no Jack. The last sighting was several days ago in Gilford Village in the grammar school area. But nothing since. ;-(
I understand he has a microchip, so if found he will hopefully be scanned.

GB
Old 09-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #8
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Some New Information...

This is from Jack's owner just today.

" hate to be a pain but We are still looking for Jack. There have been some recent sightings in the Alton/Gilmanton area. He evidently went over the Mountain. I felt that he was sticking to the woods. They say he is dingy and on the thinner side. The last sighting was about a week ago so he could be any where. I just ask that everyone keep their eyes open and please ask everyone you know to do the same. Even in out laying areas. If you are able to put flyers in businesses near you or on Telephone poles, I would so appreciate it! If anyone needs a flyer just let me know and I can email one to you. Thank you! Lisa"

Contact Lisa @ 527-1400 OR 630-3529 email Mckenzield@aol.com

Name:  clip_image002.jpg
Views: 2076
Size:  35.3 KB
Old 09-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #9
Pineedles

Default Jack

While I was up in August I posted color photos of Jack in the Center Harbor area, plus I left printouts for the 16 plus relatives that were to follow me after I left. I am so glad there have been sighting still coming in. He's a big boy, he can still make it home.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 07:25 AM   #10
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Smile Glad He's Been Spotted!

Steve, have the local and surrounding town's police been alerted about Jack? Do you know if they have listed him on any websites like Pet Finder? Many other sites also have a lost dog section.

It is very encouraging that he's being spotted. Hopefully he will be home soon. Thanks for keeping us posted.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #11
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default No New Info

Thanks Folks,

No new info as of today.

RS... Lisa reads this site.. so maybe she already has or will get Jack up on those sites.

Jeff... thanks.. you are a good guy, even tho you are a far right wing wacko! (Just kidding folks! Jeff's only Semi far right wing. He does have a Sarah Palin autographed picture tho...)

Seriously.. this site does lot's of great things.. it would be really great if we could help find Jack.

PS... if your tempted to send me nasty mail about the comment to Pineedles.. skip it, it's just a long running joke between two friends..
eillac@dow (09-22-2009), Pineedles (09-18-2009)
Old 09-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #12
eillac@dow

Red face Waing for the Good News!

SteveA,

A couple of times, I wanted to post to ask if there was an update...had Jack been found? But, I knew you would log on with an update. I am sorry that the update says he is still missing.

I am optimisitic that he will be found. He is a good looking (and big) dog. He cannot go missing for too much longer.

I look forward to your next post....telling us that Jack is home. Pass along all of our best wishes to your friend Lisa and her family.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:41 PM   #13
GFP

I keep reading this hoping to read that Jack has been found, too. It is only a matter of time if he has been seen by others.

As an animal lover, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
GFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:26 AM   #14
dpg

I wonder if Jack is friendly. Would he approach people he sees or just run away? He certanly stands out and I'm shocked nobody has noticed him roaming around looking lost. I really want to read that he's gotten home...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:48 AM   #15
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Saturday afternoon, while cruising home the LONG way from errands I saw tons of LOST DOG signs on all the back roads in Gilmanton over towards the back of Sunset Lake, Crystal Lake and Place's Mill Road. someone has gone to a lot of effort. I kept my eyes peeled but no luck. Amazing that Jack actually made it up and over the Belknap Mt. Range. It's very rough terrain.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:49 PM   #16
eillac@dow

Default Any word?

Any word on Jack?

Has that big boy decided to come home?

I am guessing if he is anything like my baby boy...he must of ate the couch, the laundry, the chair, the trash, the rug...and figures he is in the dog house.

Waiting to hear good news!

Keep us posted!
Old 09-30-2009, 09:50 AM   #17
Argie's Wife

Just got back from LR Vet Hospital in Gilford and the signs are still up.

Poor Jack! And poor Jack's parents!!!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 08:54 PM   #18
SteveA
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eillac@dow View Post
Any word on Jack?

Has that big boy decided to come home?

I am guessing if he is anything like my baby boy...he must of ate the couch, the laundry, the chair, the trash, the rug...and figures he is in the dog house.

Waiting to hear good news!

Keep us posted!
I'll try to get an update and post.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #19
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Well? still nothing on Jack?
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:03 PM   #20
eillac@dow

Default How bout JACK? Is he home yet?

So has that handsome boy Jack come home yet?

I sure hope so.....Not in the area, but for those who are keep the word and pics out there.

Thanks.....eillac@dow
Old 10-22-2009, 08:49 PM   #21
GFP

Default Jack

I came on tonight just to see if Jack has been found. He's still being prayed for.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:39 AM   #22
dpg

I'm guessing not we probably would of heard.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 12:43 PM   #23
gravy boat

Default Jack

No, nothing yet. No sightings for weeks, either. ;-(

My hope is that he was taken in and is enjoying life by a warm fire with plenty of love and treats.
The Following User Says Thank You to gravy boat For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (10-26-2009)
Old 10-26-2009, 09:11 PM   #24
GFP

Default A Good Friend Needs Some Help

I saw an ad in the NH Sunday News for Jack, and have been thinking that someone must have taken him in. Not many dogs are wandering around loose these days, and there are many dog lovers to come to the rescue.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:14 PM   #25
Lucky1

Default How about a TV news story?

Would any station do one do you think? Are there children missing him? People do not like to see children crying and being sad etc if there are. Not that we do not count just as much. Beautiful dog and not a common breed or at least I do not know it. So someone may have dognapped but I hope not. Will keep fingers crossed for safe return.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:10 AM   #26
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Great Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Would any station do one do you think?
What a great idea!

I just sent a "story idea" to WMUR. I included a link to this thread.

Maybe if they got a bunch of requests for a story, they would do one.

Here is the link to the "Contact Us" for WMUR.

http://www.wmur.com/contact/index.html
Old 11-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #27
RLW

Default Any news

I keep seeing the lost dogs signs in the Gilmanton area and often wonder if the dog has ever been found. Can anyone update us as to how things stand now with the locating of the dog???
Old 11-04-2009, 07:01 PM   #28
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default No Good News but No Bad News

I spoke with Lisa tonight.

"No Good News but No Bad News"

They have had a number of sightings, but each one has turned out to be a Great Pyrenees that lived in the area.They have contacted 90% of the vets in NH and they are on the lookout. Jack is "chipped" so any shelter that got him would check, as they would for any dog or cat that comes in as a stray.

They have also contacted all of the Public Works and Highway Departments to make them aware of Jack, should they find a "hit" dog that matches his picture.

Lisa is starting to lean to the possibility that he was taken by someone that either flat out stole him, or just took him in as a stray. She is still hopeful that he will be located.

She does check this site and is aware of everyones concern and greatly appreciates it. She has also had lots of feedback from her posts on Craigs List, many folks are looking. She is still hopeful.

SteveA
eillac@dow (11-04-2009), GFP (11-04-2009), Winnigirl (11-05-2009)
Old 11-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #29
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default Update

]Not to get everyone's hopes up...

Lisa has been informed that a homeowner has had his motion detector lights at his hose go on both Wednesday and Thursday nights this week.

He went out last night to investigate and saw a big white dog. Lisa has talked with the gentleman and he has her direct number. He described the dog as about 80lbs.

He has Lisa's direct contact information. This animal was spotted in the Goodwin Road area of Gilford. Which probably less than a mile from where Jack went missing.

Name:  Possible Sighting 1.JPG
Views: 1025
Size:  77.5 KB
GFP (11-06-2009), GTO (11-13-2009), Pineedles (11-07-2009)
Old 01-02-2010, 09:56 PM   #30
Tadpole

Default Maybe some help?

Long story short - I am new here - my husband and I are planning to retire in NH and we had stumbled on this forum. I have been checking this link periodically for any updates on this poor lost dog. Today, down in my neck of the woods (Massachusetts) a beagle was found that had gone missing the day before Christmas. It was wonderful to hear of all the volunteers that helped search for the dog. What worked in this case was a trap. They baited it with food, put blankets in that smelled of home, checked several times daily and finally the beagle was caught. I asked some people that are involved in this sort of thing for some tips/ideas I might be able to pass on to Lisa, and here is what I got. Sorry to be so lengthy, but I think it's time Jack gets home where he belongs!

First suggestion was word of mouth - people telling people costs nothing and helps a lot. flyers everywhere, vets, supermarkets, delivery people, anyone on the street. Someone knows someone who may have recently gotten a new dog, hopefully. e-mail forwards as well as forums can help spread the news.

Next I received an email with this information (some of the links are specific to MA & CT):

WHETHER LOST RECENTLY OR NOT, PLEASE SEARCH FOR YOUR PETS AS ADVISED BELOW. DO NOT WAIT TO BE CONTACTED. CHECK THE FOUND NOTICES OFTEN.

REPOST OVER AND OVER SO THAT YOUR POSTING IS REFRESHED OR RENEWED AND APPEARS PREFERABLY ON PAGE 1. IF YOU LIVE NEAR A STATE LINE, POST UNDER THAT STATE TOO.

WHENEVER POSSIBLE, POST A PICTURE (OR PROVIDE THE LINK TO A PICTURE).

IF YOUR PET WAS WEARING A RABBIES TAG, REGISTER IT ON THIS SITE:
http://www.getmehome.ca/index.asp?L=E

And, if in the course of your searches, you come across a lost, look alike, in great danger, don't just walk away; HELP because it may be that someone, somewhere, is also being a good Samaritan to yours for the same reason.

SEARCHING METHODS -HOW TO SEARCH ON THE GROUND AND WHAT TO DO ASAP , To create a flyer, so as to hand it to pet food stores, vegetable stands, gas stations, animal control officers of surrounding towns, school bus drivers, police, mail carriers, veterinarian practices all around, homeless shelters, soup kitchens, road maintenance crews (DOT - surrounding towns), GO TO THIS SITE:

http://www.gsrne.org/LostPets/lost_pets.htm

AND LEARN THE SKILLS OF a pet detective: http://www.petdetectivetraining.com/lostdogs.html

http://www.doggiemanners.com/art_fin...LOST_dogs.html

ALSO There, lots of excellent tips/resources have been posted to aid in looking for a lost dog:

http://www.jockodog.com/firststeps.html

http://www.jockodog.com/resources.html

Others:

http://www.lostdogsearch.com/

http://www.petdetectivesinc.com/

http://lostandfoundnow.com/

POST your LOST pet here as well as view the FOUND pets section on each website. Because scared dogs can travel 8 to 15 miles in 24 hours, do not just post where you are located. Post multiple times under the various offered locations. And search the postings under any and all locations. DAILY.

http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/ct
http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/ma
(select appropriate state - EACH location/region ; ... Community ... lost and found Category;

MASSACHUSETTS: PLEASE POST YOUR DOG HERE http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/M...undPetReports/
You will have to first ask to join the group ... when approved, you will be able to post.

HERE TOO: http://ma.foundandlostpets.com/
http://lostandfoundnow.com/Massachusetts/
http://www.flealess.org/lostpets/massachusetts.html

Connecticut: HERE TOO: http://ct.foundandlostpets.com/
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/C...ports/messages

http://www.flealess.org/lostpets/connecticut.html

http://www.Petfinder.Com ;
http://www.Dogdetective.com w/ PICTURE
http://www.FidoFinder.com
http://returnmypet.com
http://www.thepetrescue.com
http://www.findtoto.com/
http://www.LostandPound.com

Remember to check daily the Found and Adoptable Classifieds for your state on http://www.petfinder.com/

If dog is microchipped, report him/her missing to Registry (ARC, HomeAgain) whether chip is registered or not --

Notify all Vets through the State Vet Association; they will fax your attached flyer to all members for a fee.

TIP: JOIN the k9AmberAlert yahoo group. It allows you to put up an Alert for your pet as well as receive notices of found/rescued dogs.
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/K9AmberAlert/
or Go to http://www.yahoogroups.com/ and search for k9AmberAlert@yahoogroups.com

Again, sorry to be so long, but if Jack has been sighted then there is still hope. Maybe if everyone tells everyone, Jack will be found.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:30 PM   #31
Argie's Wife

Welcome to the forum, Tadpole, and thank you for the insightful and useful post!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #32
Tadpole

Default Quite welcome!

I just can't stop thinking of Jack. The only person I know in the area is our Real Estate Agent. BUT - just think of how many other agents she knows! And think of the miles they drive in a day or a week, and the number of people they come in contact with. I will send her an email letting her know about Jack and ask that she pass the info along to anyone she can think of. Can't hurt, might help.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #33
eillac@dow

Default Any news on Jack?

Got any good news to share with us? Any word of Jack?