Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
weim2

Thumbs up Dog Walking Group?

Well, it is quite obvious that we have alot of dog lovers in this Forum. Would some people like to meet somewhere public and let the dogs socialize and walk? Such as meet at the Meredith or Weirs Docks on early Sat. AM, walk for a bit. My dog does not get a chance to socialize much. They have doggie bags in Meredith as I posted before.
weim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:27 PM   #2
pats fan

Default Doggie Play date!

Weim2,
That sounds like it would be a lot of fun. Send me a private message and we can talk to see if we, and or our dogs, would get along!
pats fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
wifi

Why not hike Red Hill with your dog; no bags required
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:45 PM   #4
weim2

Smile

well, I was just thinking of an open invitation of meeting somewhere for a leashed walk. This would help my dog socialize and also with his obedience. If people knew there were others meeting for a short walk on Sat. mornings for socialization and some obedience I think it would be kinda fun.
Old 04-30-2009, 06:14 AM   #5
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by weim2 View Post
well, I was just thinking of an open invitation of meeting somewhere for a leashed walk. This would help my dog socialize and also with his obedience. If people knew there were others meeting for a short walk on Sat. mornings for socialization and some obedience I think it would be kinda fun.
Hi Weim2 - by any chance did you pick your user name cause you have a Weimeraner? Just wondering because I do. His name is Hunter and he rocks.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-2009, 08:35 AM   #6
ApS

Question Try the abandoned airport?

Quote:
Last Saturday, I saw a half-dozen parked cars, spare water jugs—plus dogs being walked—at Wolfeboro's old airport. The airport is 3½ miles from downtown Wolfeboro, fully grassed, and reportedly in foreclosure proceedings. (The former FAA warnings against trespass have been removed, too).

I thought it was a weekend thing, until two more observations this week suggest it's an on-going, but random, "happening". It's possible nobody will be there if you decide to "attend", but you could give it a try.

In past years, some folks exercised their larger dogs across that same grass with a tennis ball—but by hitting the ball with a tennis racquet or baseball bat! I couldn't believe it, but you can actually exhaust your dog's energy out there with those combinations!

(Still, I'd be careful: dogs can harm themselves while becoming exhausted—the bloodhound comes to mind).
Argie's Wife (05-18-2009)
Old 05-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Funny you should mention that Acres, I had heard it had become a big dog walking area.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #8
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Angry Not on RED HILL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Why not hike Red Hill with your dog; no bags required
wifi,

The RULES of TRAIL Etiquette and Use call for YOU BRING IT IN, YOU BRING “IT” OUT.

I really don’t to be up on Red Hill this summer doing Trail Work and STEP IN “IT”!
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WINNOCTURN For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (05-17-2009), jmen24 (05-18-2009), wifi (05-14-2009)
Old 05-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #9
weim2

Cool Step In It

I don't know, but I really think we are getting too "politically correct" when you are suggesting we clean up after the dog after a hike in the woods of New Hampshire. Kicking "it" aside off the trail in the leaves is just fine in my book. This is New Hampshire.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #10
Argie's Wife

I could be wrong but isn't it the LAW that you have to clean up after your dog?

I know this is the case in Maine... I'm looking for the RSA here in NH...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:44 AM   #11
weim2

Default I am so Done

I am so done with this whole Forum. You guys are way to stuffy for me!!!
Old 05-17-2009, 10:35 PM   #12
Argie's Wife

weim2 - sorry if you were offended by my post or that of others but personally I find it more offensive when people don't clean up after their dog...

Think about it: Are you really defending the "right" to leave a turd on a trail? Poop in a pathway? Feces in a footpath? BM in the byway?

We used to frequent a beach in Wells, ME that allowed dogs - The Footbridge. Well, the rules have changed because people weren't considerate - now there's no dogs. Period. That was a great place to go and we miss it.

I said it on another thread and I'll say it here: I clean up after my dog because I want to keep the privilege of using trails and parks and beaches where my dog is allowed. If that's being "stuffy" then so be it... I see it as my responsibility. No "political correctness" about it; just trying to keep the area clean and my dog healthy - do you have any idea what parasites and diseases dogs can get just from sniffing feces left on the ground? I used to work as a vet tech assistant and used to read fecal tests for parasites - trust me... there's some nasty stuff dogs can get and even pass on to YOU. Think about it...

FYI - when I asked if there was an NH RSA it's because *I* don't know - it wasn't to argue with you. (I'm not from NH...) It was to find out the laws and the penalties for breaking them, if any. With all the "NO DOGS" signs around (see Alton's beach if you need a good example) you must wonder how that's enforced...?

Last edited by Argie's Wife; 05-17-2009 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:18 AM   #13
dpg

Quote:
I am so done with this whole Forum. You guys are way to stuffy for me!!!
Personally I agree with Weim2. I do not pick up after my dog in the woods and never will - law or not. I said the woods not right ON a walking trail. What's next not using the woods cause deer, bears, squirrels and birds go in there?
Old 05-18-2009, 06:31 AM   #14
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Personally I agree with Weim2. I do not pick up after my dog in the woods and never will - law or not. I said the woods not right ON a walking trail. What's next not using the woods cause deer, bears, squirrels and birds go in there?
I agree, dpg. My dog never goes ON the trail, he walks 15 to 20 feet into the woods off the trail to do his thing. I've seen more wild animal scat on trails than I've seen dog dooey.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 08:02 AM   #15
Argie's Wife

...and like I said before...

I only asked if there was an RSA because I wanted to know for sure... It wasn't to be a PITA or to be judgemental - read my post... "I could be wrong but..." I'm going by what I thought was the law for this state... It's an honest question, seeking an honest answer... Is that so bad? Good grief...
Old 05-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #16
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post

I only asked if there was an RSA because I wanted to know for sure... It wasn't to be a PITA or to be judgemental - read my post... "I could be wrong but..." I'm going by what I thought was the law for this state... It's an honest question, seeking an honest answer... Is that so bad? Good grief...

O.K. I think it's time you take your ball and go home.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #17
Rose

Quote:

It's this part of your message that dpg and I were responding to.

"weim2 - sorry if you were offended by my post or that of others but personally I find it more offensive when people don't clean up after their dog...

Think about it: Are you really defending the "right" to leave a turd on a trail? Poop in a pathway? Feces in a footpath? BM in the byway?"

Speaking for myself, I can understand being offended by poop on the trail. But I would scoff at a law that would require me to pick it up when it's well off trail. Guess that makes me a scofflaw! And I think weim2 felt the same way...I don't think they were advocating leaving poop directly on a trail.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #18
jrc

This law seems to apply, and I'm sure there are town laws. This doesn't mean that I would clean up after a dog that pooped in the forest. I would get it off the trail though.

466:31 Dogs a Menace, a Nuisance or Vicious. –
II. Under this section, a dog is considered to be a nuisance, a menace, or vicious to persons or to property under any or all but not limited to the following conditions:
(c) If it digs, scratches, or excretes, or causes waste or garbage to be scattered on property other than its owner's;
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (05-18-2009)
Old 05-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #19
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
O.K. I think it's time you take your ball and go home.
Check your PM. Thank you.

Last edited by Argie's Wife; 05-18-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:00 PM   #20
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
It's this part of your message that dpg and I were responding to.

"weim2 - sorry if you were offended by my post or that of others but personally I find it more offensive when people don't clean up after their dog...

Think about it: Are you really defending the "right" to leave a turd on a trail? Poop in a pathway? Feces in a footpath? BM in the byway?"

Speaking for myself, I can understand being offended by poop on the trail. But I would scoff at a law that would require me to pick it up when it's well off trail. Guess that makes me a scofflaw! And I think weim2 felt the same way...I don't think they were advocating leaving poop directly on a trail.

And my post is obviously tongue-in-cheek - hence the smiley... the silly wording... etc.

Honestly... I didn't mean for this to turn into an "issue" - I asked a question about an RSA (just out of curiousity - it seems like many public parks or beaches are NO DOGS ALLOWED - just wondering how/why...)

And I have *my* opinion about things... Sorry if it rubbed anyone the wrong way... It wasn't to be judgmental - so what if my POV is different than yours? That's life.

(And this is the problem with this forum; You can see my face or hear my voice in this type of media... It's two-dimensional communication and I get it that it might be easy to misunderstand people or that people may not communicate well... I'm sorry if you took that I was being judgmental - I'm not. I consider y'all friends and think we can discuss things w/out having to agree on everything... )

Peace.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:25 PM   #21
Rose

Quote:
(And this is the problem with this forum; You can see my face or hear my voice in this type of media... It's two-dimensional communication and I get it that it might be easy to misunderstand people or that people may not communicate well... I'm sorry if you took that I was being judgmental - I'm not. I consider y'all friends and think we can discuss things w/out having to agree on everything... )

Peace.
I totally agree. I personally didn't think you were being judgmental, but wasn't sure that you understood those of us who leave our dog's poop behind leave it far off trail.

No harm, no foul.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:41 PM   #22
weim2

Default One more time

OK, I had to see how far you people would go to be RIGHT. Looking up a law on pooping dogs? Well, I now have two pooping dogs on the trail. I always push it aside but will I carry it out? NEVER, not on your stuffy politically correct life!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #23
weim2

And also, to the reference Argies Wife made to Alton Beach. I would never let my dogs swim there anyways!
Old 05-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #24
Argie's Wife

Default No, the beach isn't much but...

There's some decent places to walk or run your dog here in Alton... When we first got our Tanker we found it difficult to take him places or weren't sure if it was okay to have him at certain places. We have a very small yard so it was important to us to find areas (other than just the sidewalks in town) to walk him.

One of his favorite places is the RR Park by the Alton Police Station on Depot St. (Just off Main St., right by the Town Hall). The park isn't very big but it's an easy walk thru the park, behind the pizza place, down Main St. and loop back to the police station. There's a nature path there (boardwalk) and it's nice. After dusk there's great frog hunting going on... (my dog goes nuts over frogs!) We've met many dogs and owners there!

We've been practicing our off-leash time at the high school (PMHS) - there's a totally fenced in field when you first drive onto school grounds. It's a nice large area but safe - just make sure all gates are locked - especially if your dog is a runner. I often meet other dog owners there, too.

Last fall we discovered the snowmobile trail that goes from Riverside Dr. on up (sorta parallel) to Route 140, and started walking that as much as we dared without trespassing. I want to go back and explore that some more - it was a nice walk - but want to check with some of the property owners before we go hog-wild... It was a nice trail!

I'm sure there's more... That's just the gems we've found and really liked...
Old 06-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #25
Nadia

Talking lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
This law seems to apply, and I'm sure there are town laws. This doesn't mean that I would clean up after a dog that pooped in the forest. I would get it off the trail though.

466:31 Dogs a Menace, a Nuisance or Vicious. –
II. Under this section, a dog is considered to be a nuisance, a menace, or vicious to persons or to property under any or all but not limited to the following conditions:
(c) If it digs, scratches, or excretes, or causes waste or garbage to be scattered on property other than its owner's;
jrc you went through all that trouble to post the actual RSA, and forgot to explain what "excretes" means and how it relates to the issue in contention!!!
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #26
Argie's Wife

Nadia -

Here's the whole thing: 466:31 Dogs a Menace, a Nuisance or Vicious. Go about half-way down that page - the penalities are under that, too.

My comment about the law was based on all of the "no dogs allowed" signs I see and wondering how it is enforced. Ditto with the "pick up after your dog signs".... Although I doubt it's enforced much there are some nasty fines that go with that law - from $20 to $200 for non-compliance.

The other reason I was wondering about that is I'm working with someone in town trying to get a dog park started. We have some land in town that isn't being used for much of anything but because it was close to the town's water supply, the dog park idea was nix'd. So, we're looking elsewhere to see what we can do... I really enjoy my dog and waited almost 20 years to get a dog so I want him to have the socialization he needs to be a good pet for the whole family. I'm probably as nuts about him as I am my kids!

I felt like "the bad guy" for mentioned laws and doing what I thought was best. Never thought I'd get called a 'snob' for picking up dog poop - there's nothing more humbling - trust me!

I'm also of the "leave it the way you found it or better" frame of thinking and I'm not going to change that - if that's 'politically correct' then I'm the first member of the GOP to have that title, I guess, even though it's incorrectly applied to the situation, really. Whatever...

Regardless of where people stand on it (no pun intended), we do love our dogs and we love the lake/area here. We can agree that dogs need socialization and perhaps something will come up, like a walking group or a dog park or whatever, that will help to facilitate that.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #27
Nadia

Smile Ooops

AW - What I said was kind of a dumb joke to maybe lighten things up...I guess nobody got it. Happens a lot with my weird sense of humor Thank you for your response though!
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:41 AM   #28
Argie's Wife

Hi Nadia -
No worries. It sounded like an honest question...
Old 06-07-2009, 11:18 AM   #29
ApS

Default Poo on that!

Quote:
"...Although I doubt it's enforced much there are some nasty fines that go with that law - from $20 to $200 for non-compliance..."
The physical evidence would have to be kept for court.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:09 AM   #30
dpg

Pick up after my dog after going in the woods?? Not on your life (or mine for that matter.)