Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2004, 07:36 PM   #1
M.Wydra

Question Summer fishing

Can anyone share their advice on fishing in the Gilford area?
Let me know what you use to rope in the big ones, live bait or what?
We are coming up in late June.
Thank You!!! M.Wydra
M.Wydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 12:45 PM   #2
zaney

Default please elaborate...

What species are you fishing for? Trout and Salmon? Bass? Sunfish and perch? Anything that swims?

Please be more specific and I'll do whatever I can to help you out. I fish mostly for bass, but enjoy catching all species of fish.

If you're not from the area and/or not an experienced angler, you're best bet may be to hire a guide (especially if you're time at the lake is limited). Most full-time guides are on the water every day. These guys fish for a living and are usually up to date on the current conditions and what bait/lures are catching fish.
zaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 08:35 PM   #3
M.Wydra

Bass my friend!!!
Big ones!!!
I want my kids to catch some!!!
Old 05-14-2004, 08:36 PM   #4
M.Wydra

Also, what are you using on your lines???
Old 05-15-2004, 10:15 AM   #5
scott s

Default RE:Bass

I highly recommend you hire Steve Lucarelli. Find him @ NHsmallmouth.com.

You will have a great day with one of the finest anglers on the lake, and have a great chance to catch the big ones your after!

Tight lines.

Scott
scott s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2004, 05:38 PM   #6
Tyler

Default Lake winni guide

M. Wydra, try Rick Lillegard instead of the other guide mentioned by scott s. I have fished with both of these fine gentleman and Mr. Lillegard in my opinion is head and shoulders above the rest. Good luck. Here is his web site.
www.lillegard.com
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (08-27-2020)
Old 06-13-2004, 07:04 PM   #7
Jeff Furber

Default Summer fishing

Guides are always good , but its doubtful if either guides mentioned are into live bait, and are most likely booked up and are fairly expensive. I have been with Rick L. and you could not find a better and more friendly guide.The good guides are usually book months in advance.
If you do use live bait, crayfish, which are plentiful, are very good and also if they have hellgramites us those too. There is always the old standby of shiners and nightcrawlers. Fish should be in the area of 15'+ during the day( bright sun), in the general area of Saunders Bay, Varney Point and Rock Island. Any place there are rocks and grass there should be smallies.
A good map(Bizer's ) available anywhere, and a depth finder are prerequisites. Depending on your expertise, while your kids are soaking crayfish, you might try top water and various smallie baits. You are also close to the Witches and providing you have a adequate fishing boat to travel in those islands, Timber, Round, Mink, Camp, Welch, offer some very good fishing if you are trying to get away from boat traffic and wind.
Please be sure to have adequate PFD's for you and your children. Good luck and let us know how you do. Jeff
Jeff Furber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 12:26 PM   #8
Grant

Thanks for the Lillegard site -- I really like the section with the recommended uses for various lures.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 08:34 PM   #9
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
M. Wydra, try Rick Lillegard instead of the other guide mentioned by scott s. I have fished with both of these fine gentleman and Mr. Lillegard in my opinion is head and shoulders above the rest. Good luck. Here is his web site.
www.lillegard.com

Never have had the pleasure to fish with him, and only a few times against him in completion . But always admired him. After seeing him and his partner Ted Ancher of the Boston Herald win the 1991 ABA National on Winnipesaukee who also authored the "Bass Bets Series of books. I'll never forget that day, the only time I have ever caught a tagged bass. I was going to turn it in but F&G was at the tournament that day and recorded the information and then we let the fish go.

Last I have heard of him he was / is guiding in Vermont and was recuperating from a hunting accident. As mentioned above a Damm! good fisherman especially on small mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott s View Post
Steve Lucarelli.
My first ABA partner. From very long time ago ..... when his son who is also (now) quite the fisherman , fishing out of the family row boat on Winnisquam .

Last I heard is Steve is now living in Florida ........ not sure if his son is still living locally.

Last edited by Top-Water; 08-30-2020 at 05:54 AM.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:54 AM   #10
slayermcb

Default late to the conversation

I know I'm late to the conversation, but maybe a little help for next year. Gilford Town Docks by Marine Patrol is a good spot if your kids are smaller and it's a weekday. When the boat traffic is slow theres plenty of room and theres perch and pumpkinseeds swimming around that will bite a bare hook and keep them entertained, and Smallies hiding off the ends of the docks for the adults. Just make sure you have a town sticker and a fishing license, both are checked on occasion. Also some bullhead/hornpout if you like night fishing.

Just saw the original posting date instead of the recent reply date. yup.. a few years late!
slayermcb is offline   Reply With Quote