Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Wildlife
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default I saw an Eagle grab a cat.....

This morning on my way to work driving down RT109 a bald eagle grabbed a cat off the road and flew down the road in front of me. It could not get altitude and landed on the side of the road. The cat was still moving round so it was not a road kill. I felt bad for the cat, but did not intervene. Eventually the Eagle made another attempt at lift off and flew into the woods. This was right near Blacks Landing Road, and I am guessing this is one of the two that I see around Melvin Village from time to time?
Sorry no pics but not sure I would have posted them as this was someones cat.....Cat was dark brown or black, BTW.

I'd bet that if I had matched it's speed I could have grabbed it from my window. that is how low it was flying....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 07:40 AM   #2
Jonas Pilot

Wow! That must have been one heck of a site.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #3
Greene's Basin Girl

Did the eagle fly in the woods with the cat or was the cat free at that point? Was it a small cat?
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #4
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Red face Wow! What a Story!

This makes me very nervous for my little dogs! I'lll have to be vigilant about keeping an eye to the sky for raptors.

With Mac I had always felt somewhat safe in the fact that he was 18 pounds, but realized an eagle still could get him, just not easily. Bailey is 14 pounds now and Harry is about five, both serious targets for an eagle or falcon. Stay away birds of prey!!!!!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal View Post
This makes me very nervous for my little dogs! I'lll have to be vigilant about keeping an eye to the sky for raptors.

With Mac I had always felt somewhat safe in the fact that he was 18 pounds, but realized an eagle still could get him, just not easily. Bailey is 14 pounds now and Harry is about five, both serious targets for an eagle or falcon. Stay away birds of prey!!!!!
I worry about it all the time. I don't take my eyes off my littlest one- I hope!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2012, 01:38 PM   #6
GTO

Default cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
This morning on my way to work driving down RT109 a bald eagle grabbed a cat off the road and flew down the road in front of me. It could not get altitude and landed on the side of the road. The cat was still moving round so it was not a road kill. I felt bad for the cat, but did not intervene. Eventually the Eagle made another attempt at lift off and flew into the woods. This was right near Blacks Landing Road, and I am guessing this is one of the two that I see around Melvin Village from time to time?
Sorry no pics but not sure I would have posted them as this was someones cat.....Cat was dark brown or black, BTW.

I'd bet that if I had matched it's speed I could have grabbed it from my window. that is how low it was flying....
I'm going to start feeding my two cats over there
Old 06-25-2012, 07:37 PM   #7
rick35

Default I worry about me!

I was kayaking in Nashua last summer when a large osprey zoomed down to grab a fish 100 feet in front of me. I thought I was next. I was watching an eagle near the Camp Lawrence beach a couple of weeks ago and I kept wondering if he might zoom me.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

If that had been my cat,I'd have been worried for the eagle........CJ would be thinking "Hmmm...wonder if he'll fit through the cat door "
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
If that had been my cat,I'd have been worried for the eagle........CJ would be thinking "Hmmm...wonder if he'll fit through the cat door "
Bob,

I saw the male bear near the VK this AM crossing 25 at 0600
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote