Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
ThePlut

Default Dog Boarding in the Center Harbor/Moultonboro area?

Hi,

Good News/Bad News kind of situation. We are renting a house for 2 weeks in August of this year, and are bringing our 5 year old Golden with us. Some friends of ours are going to come and stay with us for a few days, unfortunately, he is *scary* allergic to Jake (never seen anything quite like it). So, we would like someplace local to where we are staying to board him for the few days that our guests will be there.

Would be like a Wednesday morning to Sunday stay. Recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks,
ThePlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
jkjoshuatree

Default Just A Thought...

...what dates in August.

I have to Goldens myself and if I'm up there I'd be more than happy to take Jake. Feel free to PM me.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #3
eillac@dow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree View Post
...what dates in August.

I have to Goldens myself and if I'm up there I'd be more than happy to take Jake. Feel free to PM me.
That is so nice of you to make an offer like that.
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eillac@dow For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (06-13-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 03:39 AM   #4
ApS

Smile Around the Lake—They're Just Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree View Post
...what dates in August.

My newest neighbor—living on 130-acres of land—has a Golden too.

Too bad Goldens aren't "made" in a miniature breed I'd want two!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
BBS2

Red face yes they are!

Try a Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
BBS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2011, 06:43 AM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Good Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePlut View Post
Hi,

Good News/Bad News kind of situation. We are renting a house for 2 weeks in August of this year, and are bringing our 5 year old Golden with us. Some friends of ours are going to come and stay with us for a few days, unfortunately, he is *scary* allergic to Jake (never seen anything quite like it). So, we would like someplace local to where we are staying to board him for the few days that our guests will be there.

Would be like a Wednesday morning to Sunday stay. Recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks,
You're a good friend to take these measures for your allergic visitor! You might want to consider having your guest come before you introduce the dog to the house because your clean-up will be much easier. If that doesn't work out, will your rental have a decent vacuum to get all the dog hair? One with a filter perhaps? If not, it might be almost the same as having Jake there anyway. (Vacuum the furniture, not dust.)

You may want to have back-up plan, such as a close by hotel or even a clean, never having Jake in it, tent. Your guest may have his own stuff for the "just in case".

I would imagine that your friend would bring plenty of allergy medicine along with him, so you should be good there. Be sure to have local emergency numbers handy, as well as directions to the closest medical center. Being prepared could save his life.

jkjoshuatree, you are such a wonderful person to make such a kind offer for a stranger.

Good luck Plut! I hope your friend's visit will be without incident and that you all will have a great time at the lake.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
Lucky1 (06-16-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 10:34 AM   #7
Lucky1

Default Brother is allergic and

I was thinking the same thing as RG. If you have an animal in the home, it is hard to get rid of the things that cause the allergy in one who is "scay" allergic no matter how much you clean and spray etc. It would probably be much safer to have the guest come first and then have the dog in your rental. You might even ask the owners if the guests before your visit have a dog? Is it just Goldens, or just Jake or do you know?

My brother was allergic to CATS but not at an extreme so he could come to my home for a short visit. However within half an hour his eyes would be red, his nose would be running, and he would start wheezing and have to leave. He had meds that he took for many many years as he was also allergic to pollen etc. The best thing about this is that at almost age 60 he has been able to HAVE CATS IN HIS OWN HOME FOR A DECADE NOW and is able to have plants and cut the grass etc. The Pollen green cover that we all know well at the lake does not bother him at least not like it did. I am going to ask him if he has any of his former allergies.

My last cat died a few years ago and I am going to wait until I am only in New England before I get another. The airport is harder now. Hope your visit goes well and please bring the sun with you!
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:53 AM   #8
ThePlut

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the thoughts.

It's more of a contact allergy (if there is such a thing) than anything else. He's been to our house several times, and if I just keep Jake upstairs, he's ok with just regular, over-the-counter, antihistamines (and there is Golden hair in everything...). Petting Jake can send him into hives (not every time)... And, who can be around a Golden and not pet him, especially my Jake.

We'll clean up as best we can, and he'll have his allergy meds, but you guys are right, if it's not working, the a hotel or something will have to be in the cards.

jkjoshuatree, I'll send you a PM, it's a very nice offer you are making...
Old 06-17-2011, 01:34 AM   #9
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
I was thinking the same thing as RG. If you have an animal in the home, it is hard to get rid of the things that cause the allergy in one who is "scay" allergic no matter how much you clean and spray etc. It would probably be much safer to have the guest come first and then have the dog in your rental. You might even ask the owners if the guests before your visit have a dog? Is it just Goldens, or just Jake or do you know?

My brother was allergic to CATS but not at an extreme so he could come to my home for a short visit. However within half an hour his eyes would be red, his nose would be running, and he would start wheezing and have to leave. He had meds that he took for many many years as he was also allergic to pollen etc. The best thing about this is that at almost age 60 he has been able to HAVE CATS IN HIS OWN HOME FOR A DECADE NOW and is able to have plants and cut the grass etc. The Pollen green cover that we all know well at the lake does not bother him at least not like it did. I am going to ask him if he has any of his former allergies.

My last cat died a few years ago and I am going to wait until I am only in New England before I get another. The airport is harder now. Hope your visit goes well and please bring the sun with you!
When will you back ? My friends cat just had 3 kittens. Lucky1----one of them has your name on it.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:36 PM   #10
Lucky1

Default Not going to be only in New England till after all of FL is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
When will you back ? My friends cat just had 3 kittens. Lucky1----one of them has your name on it.
Wish I were there. Hope to get there maybe mid July until maybe mid August. Depends on how much I can finish up here because no noise after Nov 1. I just get too bogged down and then get overwhelmed and don't get much done. I need to get that Lake Energy!!! Send some my way please. Love to all and wish I could be there with everyone for the 4th. WAHHHHHHHHH

Taking a cat back and forth on a plane is too hard now. First you have to wait in the ticket line to get the cat ticketed. You cannot do it by phone and then have the boarding pass etc. Sometimes they now wand the animal later in the process too. Don't get me started on tales of cat and plane trips. You would read a book for sure. Oh did I tell you that my oldest daughter, Alethea Black is having her first book published by Crown a division of Random House. The title is "I knew You'd Be Lovely". It is a book of short stories. Barnes and Noble is designating Alethea as one of a few new writers to watch. In "I knew You'd Be Lovely" there is a story set on Lake Winnipesaukee and there is an exchange where a character tells the meaning of Lake Winnipesaukee etc. We are all very excited. Pub date is July 5th and it will also be available on Nook and Kindle. I am the proud mother for sure!!! It is very hard to get your foot in the door and Alethea has done that!!!

See you all in July!!! Lobster rolls, kayaking and ski do! I am feeling sad just writing about the lake and not being able to be there.
Lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lucky1 For This Useful Post:
trfour (06-18-2011)
Old 06-17-2011, 11:53 PM   #11
jkjoshuatree

Default Lucky1

That is incredible news about your daughter.

I will definitely check out the book when it comes out!!!

You should be proud. It takes an enormous amount of work to become a writer (I've been trying for years)!

Kudos to you and her!!!
Lucky1 (06-18-2011)
Old 06-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
ThePlut

Default No idea

Found a couple of places online, Lucky Paws in Northfield, and Four Paws Inn in Meredith?

Any feedback on either of those two places?

Thanks,

...Jim
Old 07-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #13
songkrai

Karriad Kennels
Boarding and Grooming Dogs
Plymouth, NH
Off Route 175 near Holderness School.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:02 PM   #14
sky's

Quote:
Originally Posted by eillac@dow View Post
That is so nice of you to make an offer like that.
i agree good for you.
sky's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #15
songkrai

Just my opinion here.

I wouldn't post any personal email address on any forum. There are folks that might wish to sell you anything from herbs to roof replacements. And everything in between.

I think that his forum has PM or private message options.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote