Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #1
chipj29

Default Pet Memorabilia

I need some ideas on pet memorabilia for my wife.
My wife was devastated when we lost Pirate last month. She is still very upset. I would like to get her something special to help her remember him. Before he was cremated, we got an inprint of his paw print, which was cast in clay. We also have his ashes.
Does anyone have any good ideas on pet memorials, or something like that?
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2009, 10:59 AM   #2
Rose

We have our first dog Meso's ashes in an urn, with his collar draped around it. It sits on the fireplace mantle.

Here's a website I found (I haven't used them). Maybe you can get some ideas from it.

http://www.4everinmyheart.com/?gclid...FR9M5Qod0jTOUQ

You could also donate to a shelter in Pirate's memory.

My thoughts are with you and your wife.

Rose
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #3
Chimi

http://www.petloss.com

There is some great stuff on this website.
Chimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
WinnDixie

Default Album?

When we lost a beloved dog back in the 90's ,it really hit my husband very hard. Now admittedly this was back in the dark ages before we had a slideshow on a computer or a digital camera, for that matter. I went through all our pictures and collected a bunch of Finian, our dog, to put in one of those small albums (like the "Grandma Brag" kind). I gave it to him as a surprise, and he loved it. He kept it by his chair and looked at it often, for a long time. Even in this day and age of computerized everything, a hands-on collection of pictures could be very comforting, I'd think. My continued sympathy to you and your wife. It is a hard time to get through.
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinnDixie For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (11-29-2009), Rattlesnake Gal (03-11-2010)
Old 11-26-2009, 12:27 AM   #5
eillac@dow

First of all...Chip..I am sorry about losing Pirate.

Some people say "it's just a pet"...They really do not know what a pet means to you and me.

Winn Dixie had a great idea....make a CD. Oh, what a nice suprise that would be to me to have something like that to watch.

Take Care Chip.

eillac@dow
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eillac@dow For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (11-29-2009)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
Argie's Wife

About that CD...
If you decide you'd like to go that route and if you'd like help with you memorial cd please send me an PM. I make these types of presentations for memorial services, graduations, anniversaries, etc.

This might also be a consideration for you: http://www.picaboo.com/ideacenter/pe..._memorial.html

We had a very dear cat - just one of those once-in-a-lifetime blessings - the type of pet you feel like you dont' deserve because he/she is so special. We lost him to diabetes/asthma complications. Argie was heartbroken, at best. We both were very upset but Argie really took it hard. We found the memorial book to be helpful - still painful, but that's part of coping.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 07:29 AM   #7
chipj29

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the ideas everyone. We do have a bunch of pictures, mostly digitally stored. We have printed some of the better ones. It is comforting for my wife to keep reminders around, so we have pictures everywhere.

I really like the items in the link that Rose provided, so I am thinking about going that route for something special.

Thanks so much for the help, and for the thoughts as well.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:42 PM   #8
chipj29

I placed an order today. I hope the pictures work. I ordered a black granite plaque that his picture will be on. The picture I sent them is my wife's favorite picture of him. I really hope she likes this!
http://www.4everinmyheart.com/mm5/me...y_Code=granite
Attached Images

Old 12-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #9
SIKSUKR

Vey nice Chip!I'm sure she will fall completely to pieces.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
donnamatrix

Default Bracelet with ashes

This may sound morbid or unseemly to some ... but I know you can purchase bracelets (high quality gold or silver) that can be opened at one end into which you can place some of your beloved pet's ashes - or anyone's ashes for that matter. I know someone in Florida who had this done and she takes her pet with her everywhere.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #11
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

It's funny how people handle things differently. We had our baby cremated but every time I saw him, I couldn't handle it. I put him out of sight for a while but still when I saw him, I broke up. So finally we had to bury him. I just couldn't deal with it. I guess my way is pretending it isn't true. If you don't think about it , it isn't so painful. This was four years ago and I still can't type this without crying. And we have another one getting old and is very ill, but the vets say he is a miracle, they don't know how he keeps holding on.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:07 PM   #12
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
I placed an order today. I hope the pictures work. I ordered a black granite plaque that his picture will be on. The picture I sent them is my wife's favorite picture of him. I really hope she likes this!
http://www.4everinmyheart.com/mm5/me...y_Code=granite
What a beautiful, regal picture of Pirate. It's obvious from his photo that he had a lot of personality. Let us know how the memorial turns out.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:29 AM   #13
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
What a beautiful, regal picture of Pirate. It's obvious from his photo that he had a lot of personality. Let us know how the memorial turns out.
Well, I told my wife that she was going to be surprised. Unfortunately, she is the bill-payer in the family, so when the charge went through the bank, she was able to see the company name. Although she doesn't know which one specifically I got for her, she knows what is coming. And yes, she broke down. She misses him terribly, as Pirate was her baby. I can't wait to see it when it is done.

And Rose, he had a tremendous personality. He was a very very smart dog, and he knew exactly how to play us. I think he was a human in a previous life, probably a comedian.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #14
Argie's Wife

Thanks for the update Chip. It's difficult to read this thread and not get misty-eyed... the heartbreak you and Mrs. Chip have from the loss of your beloved Pirate is very evident from your posts. Hugs to you both...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:47 PM   #15
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
... I think he was a human in a previous life, probably a comedian.
I can so relate to that statement! Our little geriatric wonderdog Fritz is a 19year old miniature dachshund who has kept us laughing for years and years. He's completely deaf now, and can only see shadows, but somehow still manages to race toward the kitchen when he comes in from his now-very-short walks. We know that certainly his time is near and it breaks our hearts, but we are thankful every day the Lord let's us have another day with him.

My thoughts are with you and your wife, and I'm so glad you've found a wonderful way to remember Pirate!
Old 12-08-2009, 12:29 PM   #16
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It's funny how people handle things differently. We had our baby cremated but every time I saw him, I couldn't handle it. I put him out of sight for a while but still when I saw him, I broke up. So finally we had to bury him. I just couldn't deal with it. I guess my way is pretending it isn't true. If you don't think about it , it isn't so painful. This was four years ago and I still can't type this without crying. And we have another one getting old and is very ill, but the vets say he is a miracle, they don't know how he keeps holding on.
I'm the same way, I'm not sure I could look at pics of my dog day in and day out. My guy is six and he's like my third child to me but I think I couldn't have any pictures around to help me forget and move on. I'm not in that situation but I know I'd break down everytime I glanced at his pic.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:58 AM   #17
chipj29

Well, I got my order in, and it came out beautiful. I tried to post a pic, but I couldn't shrink it.
Anyway, I gave it to my wife on Christmas Eve. It was very emotional, but she absolutely loves it.
Thanks again for the website suggestion Rose. I would also highly recommend 4everinmyheart.com
Old 12-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #18
jack1706

Wink

chip j 129, having two JRT"S, 6 & 2 your story touches sooooo bad...

can't even imagine life without them... my heart goes out to you & your wife,

they are more my kids than my KIDS were...hahha. MANS Best friend...

but the memories will live forever !!! ALL Dogs go to Heaven !
jack1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #19
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Check out the website called Rainbow Bridge @ http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

I has a lot of info on dealing with the grief that comes from losing a pet and it takes it's name from the beautiful poem below:

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author Unknown
Airedale1 is offline   Reply With Quote